Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why Stanley Kubrick was great

Options
  • 12-06-2005 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Some reasons why Stanley Kubrick was great:

- Spartacus
    This is an incredible movie. If you thought LOTR was long this one clocks in at 198 minutes. But it is 198 minutes wel spent. One scene will sum it up for me and that is the battle scene with that one camera angle looking out over the field and the roman groups forming ranks... this is the age before CGI and that one scene is on a par with anything in LOTR IMO.

- Dr. Strangelove
    For "Well, boys, I reckon this is it - nuclear combat toe to toe with the Roosskies."
    For using Peter Sellers so well
    For the entire bodily fluids conversation.
    For "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."
    For my favourite line: "You can't fight in here... this is a War Room!"
    And of course for the riding of the bomb scene... this movie rocks!

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
    IMO for having the b***s to use 5 minutes of screen time with breathing and space... this movie is cinematography at its finest.
    Another thread
    The movie explained: http://www.kubrick2001.com/ (Also, read the book!)

- The Shining
    For taking a Stephen King novel and not making a steaming pile of crap out of it.

There are more movies and more reasons but this is why i respect him. You could post your reasons why you do not respect him if you like or you could be good people and follow suit.

- OY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

In his entire carrier I don't think he made a bad film. The man was an absolute master.

Also, here's some photographs of Chicago that he took for Look magazine in 1949.. they've just recently been 're-found' or whatever. Only eight of them, but they're pretty good.

Advertisement