Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 10-06-2005 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

isnt 2001 such a great film, so beutiful, so enticing...admitable confusing at first but a great film...

i just thought in my current position i should talk about it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I was about to ask if your current position was "pissed as a coot", but then I noticed what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like the monkeys at the beginning the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've tried very hard to like this film but I just can't get it. The whole thing seems like one of those movies where all those involved were ****ed off their heads on drugs and thought "Hey man, I've just had a great idea..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

A very, very, very, very good film. Although i preferred the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

My favourite film - it's class!

A few reasons why:

More AI than people although it's a celebration of humanity (in a way - there's a darker side too but you can't ignore this when dealing with our species).

It's big - space, lots of empty space and the long stretch of time it covers.

The aesthetic side - music and shapes fuse with the story and enhance it, the music is all beautiful.

The silence - it's soothing yet stimulating. The machine sounds - I like.

The voyage aspect - normally, I don't like this in films because it's like jumping through hoops to get to the end but here, it's like sailing with the wind blowing in your direction - the film carries well.

That "this is the future" feeling - childish but fun
    The whole thing seems like one of those movies where all those involved were ****ed off their heads on drugs and thought "Hey man, I've just had a great idea..."

Well, no. Don't dismiss it because it's strange. Try reading the book of the same title by Arthur C. Clarke. This was written while Kubrick was making the film and provides more tangible, concrete discriptions of what's going on that might add to your enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

John2 wrote:
    I've tried very hard to like this film but I just can't get it. The whole thing seems like one of those movies where all those involved were ****ed off their heads on drugs and thought "Hey man, I've just had a great idea..."

Try this out.
    http://www.kubrick2001.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Im a big fan of kubricks and I think 2001 is a beautiful piece of film making. Stunning. Admittedley though after about 6 viewings I still dont have the foggiest what end means. :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Thats a great link pigman. I especially liked the parts about the baby food and toilet (I didnt notice that :o ) and the breathing. That made me appreciate the film even more. What a genius Kubrick was.

I've always thought 2010 was a great film too and possibly a film that is all too often overlooked. It's a far more conventional film so it's great in a different way. But it does a bloody good job of explaining everything that was going on in the first film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

possibily my favourite film. What a classic. The effects are amazing, and the soundtrack is perfect. Not to sound like a pretenious sap, but the book really is (even) better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm going to watch it again tonight... can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ahh damn it someone is deleting topics i had posts on so i am no longer...2001 :( i shall fix it soon please gimme a second to spam another board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My favourite story related to this film is where a journo asks Kubrick whats the film about and he says "dunno, you should ask Arthur", the jouno asks Clarke and he says "dunno! you'd better ask Stanley"!

Says it all really.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

simu wrote:
    Well, no. Don't dismiss it because it's strange. Try reading the book of the same title by Arthur C. Clarke. This was written while Kubrick was making the film and provides more tangible, concrete discriptions of what's going on that might add to your enjoyment.

I'll check out the book. What I meant about the drugs comment wasn't that it was strange but that it seemed really self indulgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ah 2001 is class stuff indeed. ingenius story translated by a genius.

2010 fell flat on its face though

ah 2001 is class stuff indeed. ingenius story translated by a genius.

2010 fell flat on its face though
    How did 2010 fall on it's face? It's certainly not in the same league as 2001, but it was never aiming to be that type of film.

2010 was very well made and amazingly manages to tie up all the loose ends of 2001... although whether people actually wanted all those answers is another thing... I've never really been a big fan of Arthur C Clarkes final answers, Rama ended up with similar conclusion.

2010 has alot going for it though. The special effects were great, particularly the Russian ship the Leonov. The scene with the space walk between the Leonov and the Discovery had an amazing amount of tension in it. And there were lots more great scenes with HAL 9000, and of course we get to see his sister SAL 9000 as well.

I have a copy of 2010 on DVD which bizarrely I actually found in a skip. Virgin Megastore rather oddly dumped it and lots of stuff when they were closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I saw 2010 before 2001, and it has a special place in my heart. It does try a little harder to help the audience keep up, there's a lot of pointless exposition along the lines of "this is the button I press to slow us down, so I'll press the button now."

It's a totally different movie, and completely unlike most sequels, so fair play to it for that.

Advertisement