Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL DRAFT 2012

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I know Richardson is a very good player but I don't think a RB is a good pick for a franchise hoping to turn things around. The modern nfl is designed to aid the passing game, theres a reason so many players have thrown for huge numbers.

This draft is stacked with defensive talent. The top ten picks belong to those teams for a reason. They cant stop the opponent. The Vikings have the best RB and they have a top 5 pick. So IMO Richardson should not go that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,952 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think there is a very deep RB class in this draft and because of that I think Richardson will drop a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Kirkpatrick the fool....
    Former Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, who is widely viewed as a first-round prospect in this year’s NFL draft, has been arrested for possession of marijuana.

The web site for the Sheriff’s Office in Manatee County, Florida, lists Kirkpatrick as having been arrested at 12:48 a.m. today for possession of less than 20 grams of cannabis. He was released after posting $120 bond.

Kirkpatrick, who announced last week that he is leaving Alabama for the NFL, is considered one of the top defensive players in the class of 2012. The eight mock drafts posted at NFL.com all have Kirkpatrick going in the Top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

kmart6 wrote: »
    Kirkpatrick the fool....

Wont affect his stock. Not for that small amount of weed.

Not exactly the smartest move is it though, two/three months before the combine/getting arrested for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Surprised it wasn't posted yet but Ryan Tannehill broke his foot and will miss the Senior Bowl and maybe his Pro Day. Hard to tell how it affects his stock. Could benefit from it, bad Senior Bowl would have killed his stock.

I think Kirkpatrick is very overrated. Come draft day I think he'll be a late 1st/early 2nd even without the weed incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Interesting article on the likely fight for RGIII at #2: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/02/cleveland_browns_must_out-bid.html
    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay thinks the Browns will have to win a bidding war with the Washington Redskins to trade up to No. 2 with the St. Louis Rams to select Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.
    And if it were him, he wouldn’t hesitate to surrender the No. 4 and No. 22 picks to pull off the deal. The Redskins own the No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks.
    “I would do it,” McShay said of the Browns trading their two first-round picks. “I wouldn’t do it for any other position, but I would do it for quarterback.”
    McShay said the Heisman Trophy winner doesn’t have much to prove physically at the NFL Combine next week, but he must sell himself in interviews to the Browns and Redskins.
    “I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t floor both of those teams with his intelligence and his understanding of the game,” McShay said. “I think it’s going to be a competition between the two to see who can get up there when it’s all said and done,” he said.

McShay ventured to say that if not for Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck — who’s expected to go No.1 to the Colts — Griffin would be competing for the top spot on the board.
    “I think he’s every bit worth the [No. 2] pick,” McShay said. “I’ve got him as the third prospect overall in this class, and I think that if the Browns want him, they need to move up and get him. I’ll be surprised if he lasts until four, and I’ll be even surprised if he gets to No. 3 because I think that No. 2 pick is up for public auction. I think the
    Rams are going to get a good deal to move back and can still get a player they want at tackle or wide receiver.
    “And if it’s not Cleveland, then it’s probably going to be Washington [at No. 6] right behind them leapfrogging Cleveland to get up to No. 2.”
    According to the NFL’s draft value chart, the Browns’ No. 4 and No. 22 picks would be almost equal to the value of the No. 2 pick, which is worth 2,600 points. The No. 4 is worth 1,800 and the No. 22 is worth 780 for a total of 2,580. Throw in a sixth-round pick worth about 20 points, and the Browns are right there.
    The Redskins, on the other hand, total 2,110 points with their first two picks. The No. 6 pick is worth 1,600 and the No. 39 overall pick is worth 510. In order to top the Browns’ offer, they’d likely have to throw in a third-rounder this year or a second-rounder next year. But the Browns’ offer guarantees the Rams will still be able to get either Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon or USC tackle Matt Kalil at No. 4.

“It may seem like you’re giving up too much, but I’d much rather nail it at the quarterback position than sit there at four, miss out on the quarterback, get [Alabama’s] Trent Richardson at running back, Michael Floyd or someone at receiver and still not have anyone to get them the football that you feel great about,” McShay said.
    That’s not to say he thinks that Colt McCoy will never be a good starting quarterback in the NFL.
    “I think we’ve seen enough flashes, but I think we’ve also seen teams adjust to his inability to consistently throw the ball down the field with velocity and accuracy,” he said. “Those were the concerns. That’s why he was a third-round pick coming out. Tom Brady was a sixth-round pick and is one of the greatest of all time, so you never really know, but there’s a reason that guys end up going where they go in terms of what they can do at the next level.
    “I think with McCoy, we’ve kind of seen in the last couple of years that he has the intangibles — the toughness, the competitiveness, the ability to move and keep plays alive and accuracy underneath — but the limitations are there.”
    Therefore, the Browns should grab the brass ring when they have the chance, McShay said.
    “When you have an opportunity at the one position that just seems to change the franchise — it’s really the only correlation between all of the good teams is really good quarterback play,” he said. “There’s a reason the vast majority of teams drafting in the top 15 need a quarterback and the vast majority of the teams drafting in the bottom 15 don’t.”

McShay said he wasn’t that impressed with Griffin’s 2010 season. In fact, he had a third-round grade on him then and wasn’t sure he’d work out as a pro quarterback. But he saw the light in 2011.
    “He really grew on me,” McShay said. “I got coach’s copy tape from this year and saw the improvement with his accuracy, with his anticipation, specifically with his accuracy down the field, too. I thought he showed a lot more touch and was able to drop the ball in and make accurate throws vertically. Can he still improve in that area? Of course he can. I think, sometimes, he’s got to learn to take a little bit of heat off his fastball and throw more catchable throws in the short to intermediate [range], but he has really made huge strides as a passer in terms of that accuracy, and it’s so important.”
    What impressed McShay even more than Griffin’s world-class speed was his terrific arm and football acumen.
    “You look at the athleticism, which is through the roof, his speed, which is exceptional, and it leads to a lot of potential big plays when he does decide to take off and run,” McShay said.
    “But what I like about him is he is a true passer first, and he’s not an impatient guy that’s always looking to get outside the pocket. He will sit in there, he’ll hang tough, he can throw from a lot of different launch points, he can snap the ball off and has a strong arm and I love his mental makeup. He’s a leader, he’s tough and, most importantly, he’s smart. He picks things up quickly, and I haven’t found a person I’ve
    talked to that says anything but great things about him in the classroom and understanding offensive concepts and just his natural intelligence.”

The bolded part shows what type of deal the Rams would get to trade down from #2 - Jeff Fisher would have a nice selection of picks to kick-start his reign in St. Louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

RGIII wrote: »
    Surprised it wasn't posted yet but Ryan Tannehill broke his foot and will miss the Senior Bowl and maybe his Pro Day. Hard to tell how it affects his stock. Could benefit from it, bad Senior Bowl would have killed his stock.

I think Kirkpatrick is very overrated. Come draft day I think he'll be a late 1st/early 2nd even without the weed incident.

The weed incident has had the sting taken out of it with his pal fessing up that it was his weed .

I think the gap from Claiborne...Jenkins & Kirkpatrick to the rest ...i mean Dennard....Gilmore is quite pronounced

Let me put it this way RGIII....all of Claiborne, Jenkins & Kirkpatrick can start in 2012 ...whereas i think the next level of guys could play the slot ...come off the bench in 2012

To draw a parallel with 2011 ...Jimmy Smith came on after injury and off the bench for the Ravens at the end of the season ...and he was drafted a little later than expected and in keeping with how he is used .

The Cowboys will start either Jenkins or Kirkpatrick in 2012 as Terence Newman is cut ...The Bengals are short a corner in 2012 so would start either ....and Detroit or SanFran would pick Jenkins or Kirkpatrick if avaialble so i honestly cant see your prediction of the second round

Are you honestly saying Kirkpatrick gets past New England with two picks with McCourtey , Moore, Chung & Arrington inspiring confidence ...really?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Anyone going to follow the combine results? Is the NFL and ESPN the best for the combine coverage?

I see Luck isn't going to throw. I hope RG gets to throw havnt seen that much of him would like to see him out of his comfort zone throwing to unfamilar receivers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

RG3 aint throwing either as far as I know ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

No need for Luck to throw.
    RG3 he wont be throwing and thats because his stock at the minute can only go down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Coin toss just took place to decide picks between temas with equal records.

Miami will pick 8th, Carolina will pick 9th.
    Kansas City will pick 11th, Seattle will pick 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The excitement begins :D This going to be one great draft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Group 2 will be kicking off in the next half hour at the combine, you can watch at live on http://www.nfl.com/combine/live - make sure to switch to camera 2.

Matt Kalil, Riley Reiff and Jonathan Martin - the consensus top 3 tackles - are all in group 2. Wont tell much from the 40 yard dash, but the 10 yard split and the positional drills are always worth keeping an eye on. Cordy Glenn from group 1 looked excellent in his earlier. 6'5, 345lbs and he ran a 4.96 in the 40. Unreal.

There's one player every year that blows people away as early as the official measurements. Michael Brockers is this year's that guy.

6'7", 322lbs and 35 inch arms. No way he falls to the Pats first pick as I've been hoping/mocking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Michael Brockers and Codry Glenn seem to be the 2 most impressive guys so far.

Glenn is really impressing with his bench reps and 40 time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Anyone have a full list of eligible players? I've googled the issue to no avail. Want to find someone.

Think Dwayne Allen may slip down the board now posting 4.84 40 time while Ladarious Green posted a 4.45.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Think Dwayne Allen may slip down the board now posting 4.84 40 time while Ladarious Green posted a 4.45.

Alot of negatives against Green following his weigh in and poor showing on the bench press.

Quote from Walter football.com

"Yesterday I wrote, "Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green (6-6, 238) needs to add some more bulk to his frame." That was proven true when Green had the second-lowest total of any tight end with 16 reps on the bench press. Until Green adds some size and strength, he can probably only be a situational player, and that definitely hurts his draft value. "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Love this time of year

ESPN First Draft podcast
    NFL.com draft tracker podcast
    Easier to get both of them in itunes

My Ravens will be going offensive line or MLB in the first round I reckon

The player I want is center Peter Konz from Wisconsin

Looks a beast and we need a center
    We'll resigning either Matt Birk or Andre Gurode on a one year deal so he'll have a tutor and veteran backup

Ah FFS some of these lads are struggling to run in a straight line!

Today's the day everyone has been waiting for in Indy. Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers and Running Backs all doing their physical workouts. A few predictions:

RGIII to be fastest QB (shock horror)
    Chris Rainey to be fastest RB (and fastest of any position this year)
    Kendall Wright to be fastest WR, with Joe Adams and Stephen Hill not far behind.

Can't wait to see Kendall Wright, expect him to run in the low 4.3 range, and have a personal interest in Michael Floyd vs Justin Blackmon as to who is the better talent (edging towards Floyd these days but a quick 40 by Blackmon - anywhere in the 4.4s - will have me questioning myself.) Also looking forward to seeing how the system QBs do in the passing drills - Kellen Moore, Case Keenum etc.

Stephen Hill, Juron Criner, Joe Adams, Marvin McNutt and Gerell Robinson are of particular interest in the WR position also. The class is incredibly deep this year.

And last but not least, absolutely everyone will be glued to see if the Alshon Jeffery rumours are true - he needs a good 40.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/live

4.41 for RGIII on his first run. Disappointing, should do better on his next one.

Edit: 4.38 second time round. He's a bit fast!

Michael Floyd killed it. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Someone please tell Jamie Dukes you don't have to shout to get a point across

How does he have such a top job with NFL Network

Derrick Mason and Wille McGinest did some good work in the last few months, hire one of them

Sorry, way offtopic

• Advertisement

Stephen Hill, wow :eek:

@ neilster Your right Kirkpatrick will probably go higher. Still doesn't change my opinion of him. I think he's a good chance of busting. But aren't a lot of the teams you mentioned picking in the late 1st round ;)

Stephen Hill, wow :eek:

4.30 40 and a 1.20 10 yard spilt :eek:

RGIII wrote: »
    4.30 40 and a 1.20 10 yard spilt :eek:

4.31 second attempt, that's absolutely incredible for his size. No way he falls out of the mid-2nd round now.

To put that 1.20 ten yard split in perspective, Chris Johnson - the fastest electronically recorded 10 yard split and 40 yard dash in combine history - was 1.40. And he was 5'11 and 186lbs.

Stephen Hill is 6'4 and 215lbs. That's just impossible.

• Advertisement

To put that 1.20 ten yard split in perspective, Chris Johnson - the fastest electronically recorded 10 yard split and 40 yard dash in combine history - was 1.40. And he was 5'11 and 186lbs.

Stephen Hill is 6'4 and 215lbs. That's just impossible.

As impressive as it is some scouts will put more of a negative on him for that, they'll ask why he didn't display that speed at GT, is he more for a track star then a football player. He still has quite poor hands. Sorta reminds Troy Williamson.

As impressive as it is some scouts will put more of a negative on him for that, they'll ask why he didn't display that speed at GT, is he more for a track star then a football player. He still has quite poor hands. Sorta reminds Troy Williamson.

I don't think his Georgia Tech tape will be as overly important as other receivers' college tape will be, their offence is probably the most predominant run-first offence in college football with their triple option. What would count against him more would be his body catches, although he looked pretty impressive today catching away from his body on the gauntlet. If anything, it shows he has work ethic, looks like something he's worked on. But that's his key - his physical talent was always elite, it's his game smarts that teams will want to examine now. I still think he's just outside the top 5 receivers in my own opinion - I had him as my 8th but might have to move him up a couple of places now - have to see how a couple from Group 2 do today.

The two big stars so far have been Cordy Glenn and Stephen Hill, who both trained with IMG in the build up to the draft. From Group 2, Mohamad Sanu, Eric Page, Russell Wilson and a guy I really like Gerrell Robinson among others were at the same camp. Be interesting to keep an eye on them.

When the wr's running the 40? Tommy Streeter from the U is meant to be a burner for a guy who is 6ft 5.

Update
    Tommy Streeter
    Miami
    6-5
    --
    --
    --
    9 1/2

not great from Kendall Wright
    Kendall Wright
    Baylor
    --
    --
    --
    8 5/8

RGIII vs Cam vs Luck. Great little GIF.

simul.gif

Here we go, its almost Chris Rainey time...

Joint fastest

Trent Richardson move over for Robert Turbin :eek:

Turbin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

RGIII vs Cam vs Luck. Great little GIF.

simul.gif
    You can really see RG3's athletics background in that clip.

Impressive to see Luck's general stats so close to Newtons.

Today is the day we've all been waiting for - Rich Eisen runs his 40 yard dash :D

• Advertisement

the more i see about rg3 the better he looks very intelligent man and hes got a better arm then i realised. who thinks rg3 has a better arm than cam did this time last year hes missing the size i know but hes quicker.

Michael Brockers has been tipped as 1st Round talent yet he only completed 19 reps of the bench press? That's pretty piss poor from a position that demands upper body power. Melvin Ingram posted 28 reps :eek: Power and Strength right there!!

Michael Brockers has been tipped as 1st Round talent yet he only completed 19 reps of the bench press? That's pretty piss poor from a position that demands upper body power. Melvin Ingram posted 28 reps :eek: Power and Strength right there!!

ingram looked incredible looks like he could be the first defensive player off the board

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Dontari Poe completed 44 reps and ran the 40 in 4.87. He weighs 346 lbs. That's a shade under 25 stone. What a beast.

Dontari Poe, a 6'4", 346lbs defensive tackle ran a faster 40 than Vontaze Burfict. Burfict is instantly out of the first 3 rounds after his disgraceful weekend. Such a shame, was a huge fan of his when he looked like a sure fire 1st rounder after his 2010 season.

Tank Carder posts a 4.56 someone will get a steal with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

So Burflict sucks now does he? Would you mind posting his numbers from the weekend?

matthew8 wrote: »
    So Burflict sucks now does he? Would you mind posting his numbers from the weekend?

he dosent suck but hes a very very hit or miss player people see ray lewis because of his aggression but hes just not that good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Just watched a few of the workouts with Poe. That is a large man, doing some things a large man shouldn't be able to do.

How much will his stock be affected by this? Anyone know where was he predicted to be going before the weekend?

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »

6'1", 248lbs (overweight), 4.93 40 yard dash, Didn't take part in the bench press. Small arms too but I forget the exact measurement. He was phenomenal in 2010, was okay for the first half of 2011, things went downhill towards the end of the year (resulted in him getting benched). I thought a good combine would salvage a first round pick or early 2nd, but showing up out of shape and running that slow is just pathetic. Let's just say his interviews won't save him, he's already blamed as many people as he can for his poor year.

Advertisement