Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have us ladies been seconded by the gentlemen??

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

g'em wrote: »
    Doesn't mean I forget though. I am, after all, a woman.

And we all know what they say about elephants women!

Please don't destroy me g'em, it was a joke. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Please don't destroy me g'em, it was a joke. :o
    That's ok, I was angling towards the very same joke myself.

\pats Ariya Sparse Attic on the head

Edit: forgot to add a ':D'

\pats Frada on the head

If you were to pat my head, I would walk out of the room all accordiany similar to Wile E Coyote when a rock would fall on him. And I can't even play the accordian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

It sure would. Too bad these people aren't Jane Austen characters nor do they aspire to be. Looks like your pedantry is a tad misguided and irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Congratulations for completely missing the point of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I was attempting to encourage the discussion by enhancing the colloquialism of the title, rather than having it appear condescending and twattish.......unlike some.....:rolleyes:

I think a post like the one above proves my point.......they're even correcting our grammar...

*shudder*

they're even correcting our grammar...

I tried to stop him but he overpowered me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

You did see the nyom thread right?

I remember this well seeing as I created it. It was intended so that the guys could say who they thought deserved an award for the way they looked. It was meant as a bit of fun and in hindsight I could see that it could have been (and was) taken the wrong way.

Most of the women who replied to it felt that it was objectifying them. At the time I apologised publicly in the thread and requested that the thread be locked seeing as I had upset a few people. It was at that moment in time that G'em locked the thread. I then sent her a few pms with another apology as she was the moderator and explained what the intention of my thread was (a bit of fun) but that I realised it was not taken as such. Not one person reported my post or sent me a pm complaining about it.

All that aside, the air was cleared so I do not see how dragging up the past helps anyone? Anyone wishing to know my post history on boards can look at my old posts for themselves.

brianthebard - if you have an issue with a post of mine please report it or complain to me in private, especially if you insist in bringing up old topics. Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

kingtut - quit while you're ahead. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have to say sleaziness aside, I really like this forum.

Its one I'm guaranteed to visit every time I log on to boards. It was rocky at the start but its really settled down into a nice forum now. I think silverfish could probably take a lot of credit for that. I'm glad theres a healthy mix of gender on here.

kingtut - quit while you're ahead. Seriously.

I was just trying to explain myself but thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I think a post like the one above proves my point.......they're even correcting our grammar...

*shudder*

Out of interest, who is this "they" of which you speak?

Now then, if i might wax lyrical on the actual topic at hand....do the Ladies who post here genuinely feel threatened about by the males who post here, and if so, why?

Personally i don't think this is the case at all, and if it is then the Ladies who are affected in this way have much thinner skins that i had previously believed.

There have been some great threads here that i have participated in, there have been threads that i haven't even looked in, it is like this for every user on every forum.

I would suggest that if any female posters on this site genuinely want a place where they can talk solely with other female posters that they simply request a private forum and go about coming up with their own ways to ensure that only females can post there.

I would also advise that they ask themselves why they feel this is required, if such an option does appeal to them.

It's a public forum with a theme, no limitation on who can post here, or why, or the opinions that they will express. Mods are in place ( and do a pretty damn good job in here ) to ensure that charters are followed and rules are stuck to.

It is also worth noting that tLL has moved on from it's original reputation as being a place to discuss handbags and make up and boyfriends to a place where you get some damn fine debate about some pretty hot topics, so you are going to be attracting all kinds of users.

With regards to issues around people feeling objectified, i believe that issue has been done to death, that people were not actually informing Mods of any issues that they had. I hate to break it to you but as a Mod i have learned that posters need to accept some responsibility for how others act and post within a Fora. You have a report post function available to you...it is up to you to use that and PM's to Mods to express your concerns and make any issues obvious. What can seem like an off hand remark to a 3rd party might be a big issue to the person it was aimed at...Mods don't know that and they can't read minds.

Personally i think worrying about WHO is posting in a Forum is a secondary issue. You need to look at WHAT is being posted and if you don't like it then you need to start threads that interest you, that deal with the subjects that you feel like discussing.

As a final issue there can be an underlying attitude in here that boys are here on sufferance and are somehow second class citizens. This is not the case, we have every right to post here if something takes our interest, it is up to other people to decide whether our posting is relevant or not.

Dragan wrote: »
    Out of interest, who is this "they" of which you speak?

Now then, if i might wax lyrical on the actual topic at hand....do the Ladies who post here genuinely feel threatened about by the males who post here, and if so, why?

Personally i don't think this is the case at all, and if it is then the Ladies who are affected in this way have much thinner skins that i had previously believed.

There have been some great threads here that i have participated in, there have been threads that i haven't even looked in, it is like this for every user on every forum.

I would suggest that if any female posters on this site genuinely want a place where they can talk solely with other female posters that they simply request a private forum and go about coming up with their own ways to ensure that only females can post there.

I would also advise that they ask themselves why they feel this is required, if such an option does appeal to them.

It's a public forum with a theme, no limitation on who can post here, or why, or the opinions that they will express. Mods are in place ( and do a pretty damn good job in here ) to ensure that charters are followed and rules are stuck to.

It is also worth noting that tLL has moved on from it's original reputation as being a place to discuss handbags and make up and boyfriends to a place where you get some damn fine debate about some pretty hot topics, so you are going to be attracting all kinds of users.

With regards to issues around people feeling objectified, i believe that issue has been done to death, that people were not actually informing Mods of any issues that they had. I hate to break it to you but as a Mod i have learned that posters need to accept some responsibility for how others act and post within a Fora. You have a report post function available to you...it is up to you to use that and PM's to Mods to express your concerns and make any issues obvious. What can seem like an off hand remark to a 3rd party might be a big issue to the person it was aimed at...Mods don't know that and they can't read minds.

Personally i think worrying about WHO is posting in a Forum is a secondary issue. You need to look at WHAT is being posted and if you don't like it then you need to start threads that interest you, that deal with the subjects that you feel like discussing.

As a final issue there can be an underlying attitude in here that boys are here on sufferance and are somehow second class citizens. This is not the case, we have every right to post here if something takes our interest, it is up to other people to decide whether our posting is relevant or not.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

Dragan wrote: »

I think its only when users become moderators themselves that they understand the power of the 'report post' function. When a post is reported, a new thread is created in the 'reported post forum' accessible to everyone on and above moderator status and then if necessary mods can discuss the issue at hand. The mods and cmods also get an email notifying them of the reported post.
    So if users have a problem with something, report it!

I dont really think thats the case Dragan. Obviously you feel it is or you wouldnt have posted that but it shouldnt be like that at all. I'm sorry to hear it.

fits wrote: »
    I dont really think thats the case Dragan. Obviously you feel it is or you wouldnt have posted that but it shouldnt be like that at all. I'm sorry to hear it.

Ah i don't really care, i tend to get away with it, as do posters like Wibbs etc.

That said, when the forum first started their was the "Male Form Appreciation Thread", i popped up my opinion about the pics being posted and even posted a pic of a guy i thought the Ladies might find nice and attractive, the response i got was that unless i was willing to post a picture of myself then i wasn't entitled to have an opinion within the thread. Being happy enough to post my pic I did so. That said, if i was a new posters on boards i might not have appreciated it at all.

The point also remains though, if it had been anyone other than me it might not have been said as i would have been expected to see the joke ( i assume ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

I see no reason that the forum needs to be private

Matt Holck wrote: »
    I see no reason that the forum needs to be private

That is not what i was suggesting.

• Advertisement

Excuse me???

Explain your logic on that one please; it is not apparent to my good self.

Seconded/ to second/secondment basically mean a temporary transfer or replacement of a person; whose duty is then carried out by somebody else.

As the ladies lounge currently seems to feature more men than women, surely this is an apt term??

N'est pas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Jeez, the amount of whinging from the fellows on this thread is laughable. This thread started off tongue in cheek...where did it go wrong?

Jeez, the amount of whinging from the fellows on this thread is laughable. This thread started off tongue in cheek...where did it go wrong?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If this is going to turn into a discussion about grammar I'm going to have to either close the thread or send it to the Linguistics & Etymology forum. You won't enjoy it over there. :cool:

You know you should write that down.

It's really really interesting:rolleyes:

Funny how everybody else understood what I was referring to isn't it???

Perhaps seconded is more colloquial than supplanted despite your brilliant musings.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWN:rolleyes:

Zaph wrote: »
    If this is going to turn into a discussion about grammar I'm going to have to either close the thread or send it to the Linguistics & Etymology forum. You won't enjoy it over there. :cool:

Why don't you give Donegalfella a map....I'm sure it would be just about his level of riveting over there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah seriously folks, am I talking to myself here?

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement