Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

dashoonage wrote: »
    Cheers all. Belgacoin email last night. Money received.
    Can you buy XRP on coinbase? A buddy signed up to Kraken last week and has everything verified in a few days.

I thought coinbase was only Btc, eth and Ltc
    I'm nearly sure you can get it on bittrex once you send your Btc over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I thought coinbase was only Btc, eth and Ltc
    I'm nearly sure you can get it on bittrex once you send your Btc over there.

Yes i think my only option is going to buy coin and transfer it into Kraken or something and then Buy XRP...... i doubt Kraken will ever approve my account :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

what pissed on everyone's ETH chips yesterday @ 6PM?

Lot of coins in the red this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Roonbox wrote: »
    Expensive lesson learned Edgar :)

It could be worse. I got this message over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

Status basically broke the ETH network and everything ETH based is crashing as a result, not a good look.

crowseye wrote: »
    Status basically broke the ETH network and everything ETH based is crashing as a result, not a good look.

What?

Some links please..

All I can find is some comments about congestion and slower than normal transactions. Not that everything is crashing.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cheers all. Belgacoin email last night. Money received.

Can you buy XRP on coinbase? A buddy signed up to Kraken last week and has everything verified in a few days.
    I got tier 1 verified quickly, Tier 2 about a week later, still waiting for Tier 3

lawred2 wrote: »
    What?

Some links please..

All I can find is some comments about congestion and slower than normal transactions. Not that everything is crashing.

The network is completely congested from all the Status transactions, they've had to stop trading of all ETH based coins on a lot of the exchanges, all my ETH tokens are locked up in Bittrex and can't move them or trade them since yesterday with no ETA on normal service resuming. That's why a lot of the ETH based tokens are down a lot. It's damaged people's confidence in ETH which is mainly due to the way Status held their ICO and completely overloaded the network. It was pretty irresponsible honestly.

The network is completely congested from all the Status transactions, they've had to stop trading of all ETH based coins on a lot of the exchanges, all my ETH tokens are locked up in Bittrex and can't move them or trade them since yesterday with no ETA on normal service resuming. That's why a lot of the ETH based tokens are down a lot. It's damaged people's confidence in ETH which is mainly due to the way Status held their ICO and completely overloaded the network. It was pretty irresponsible honestly.

The 'crisis' in confidence seems to have affected a lot of alt coins as well

ETHs strength is also its weakness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Took me a few weeks to get tier 3 verified on Kraken. They'll do it eventually I think they're just really busy with requests at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

This seems to be the Wild West of "investing"

Caveat emptor and all that.

May punt with some small amounts in time, but would be slow to send off any substantial amounts to these outfits

nuac wrote: »
    This seems to be the Wild West of "investing"

Caveat emptor and all that.

May punt with some small amounts in time, but would be slow to send off any substantial amounts to these outfits

Ya be careful and do your due diligence on projects and be wary of ones with high or no caps, quite often its just pure greed rather than actually needing the money.

Kraken has verified me at Tier 2 literally as i was about to buy litecoin elsewhere to transfer....its enough to get me started anyway...

Retirement here i come!

sell offs aots

time to shift ETH for BTC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you are posing the question, the answer is almost certainly yes.

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you are posing the question, the answer is almost certainly yes.

seems to have settled

you've little regard for ETH then?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I bought ETH for the long haul... if you watch the markets minute to minute you will give yourself a hernia. If I could get more cash onto ETH and hold it for 18 months, I would. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

seems to have settled

you've little regard for ETH then?

Not much regard for Eth itself, but definitely for the regard others place in it, which all that is really important.

I almost dipped my toe in last week; clicked on ETH, buy, pasted in the wallet address, thought some more than changed it to BTC and pasted in my wallet address and topped up with that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

The ETH blockchain is broken, no other conclusion to be reached.
    A very large backlog of transactions which will take at least 12 hours to clear; increased tx fees and waiting time. Eth wallets not working on Bittrex and Liqui.io; withdrawals stopped on Shapeshift and Bitfinex; and word that trades on Coinbase are not being completed whilst the price is falling. All this following on from yesterday's problems arising from the Status ICO. This is a clusterfuk of quite some proportion.

I'm sorry to say I'm getting out of ETH in a disciplined way, but pronto. And going back into Bitcoin.

DeVore wrote: »
    I bought ETH for the long haul... if you watch the markets minute to minute you will give yourself a hernia. If I could get more cash onto ETH and hold it for 18 months, I would. :)

A genuine question, DeVore, if I may ........
    Drawing on your experience of coding and software, do you believe that Ethereum is a game-changing tech that will be the backbone of Web 3.0? Are the predictions of a ubiquitous ETH-blockchain underpinning real-world dApps, contracts, and every other conceivable utilization, valid or just wishful thinking with a fair dollop of hype?
    I'm honestly not trying to express any personal opinion with the above -- I'm genuinely interested to hear your view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That dip must have caused some heart attacks, we'll have to wait for the exchanges to start working again to see what the effects are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

A very large backlog of transactions which will take at least 12 hours to clear; increased tx fees and waiting time. Eth wallets not working on Bittrex and Liqui.io; withdrawals stopped on Shapeshift and Bitfinex; and word that trades on Coinbase are not being completed whilst the price is falling. All this following on from yesterday's problems arising from the Status ICO. This is a clusterfuk of quite some proportion.

I'm sorry to say I'm getting out of ETH in a disciplined way, but pronto. And going back into Bitcoin.

Think I'll follow you. Joined eth too late and all my gains were eroded. Think I'm about 10% into the red now and the value is still dropping. These icos are a busted flush and seem to be causing more damage than anything.

A genuine question, DeVore, if I may ........
    Drawing on your experience of coding and software, do you believe that Ethereum is a game-changing tech that will be the backbone of Web 3.0? Are the predictions of a ubiquitous ETH-blockchain underpinning real-world dApps, contracts, and every other conceivable utilization, valid or just wishful thinking with a fair dollop of hype?
    I'm honestly not trying to express any personal opinion with the above -- I'm genuinely interested to hear your view.
    Not this year it wont. Maybe next year. Mostly I'm trading on people believing that it will rather than any deep understanding of tech itself.

Aaand coinbase went on its arse. You could set your watch by it. Lol

• Advertisement

Mostly I'm trading on people believing that it will rather than any deep understanding of tech itself.

The wisdom of crowds, eh? :)
    Betting on, and going with, the sentiment of the majority is oftentimes the best play ......... except when the crowd is irrationally exhuberant. The you have a BUBBLE. :)
    (Quite frankly, the majority of newcomers to ETH haven't a clue what the tech is all about). Which is dangerous -- for them, and for us.

Cainbase been threatening that all day, apparently. But it's the ETH blockchain on it's arris also. Which is an even bigger concern.

Think I'll follow you. Joined eth too late and all my gains were eroded. Think I'm about 10% into the red now and the value is still dropping. These icos are a busted flush and seem to be causing more damage than anything.
    Yep, these ICO's are causing a lot of trouble and headache. They're becoming a biit of a curse -- benefitting only the whales who managed to get aboard, but causing nothing but grief for us small fry.

Don't get too concerned about your current 10% loss, dude. If you do sell out now you could always buy back in later a lower price if and when it drops even lower -- which I fear it might.
    I bought mine at $45, more at $70, and a little extra at around $90. I'm bailing now in a price-drppng market and taking the current $295 price -- rightly or wrongly. I might come to regret it. :)

Aaand coinbase went on its arse. You could set your watch by it. Lol
    I jumped out of Eth to let this sh*tstorm pass, will try to jump back in when it settles...

I jumped out of Eth to let this sh*tstorm pass, will try to jump back in when it settles...
    Wise move, I think.
    Doing the same mehself, but transferring the ETH from Trezor to Polo in reasonable batches and waiting for Polo to credit it is a bit of a chore.
    0x56ade0b3e8bab7b6e7ee7fb7e94193e2cf50d157abea82fd2af3afa7ac82cf19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You'll be regretting that by morning :cool:

BTC dropping too

Is anyone holding xrp here? What are people's thoughts on it?

BTC dropping too

Dude, Eth is down 9% against BTC.
    Eth is down 14% against Dollar.

This is much worse than BTC's performance which in fact is down only 2.5% against Dollar.
    This is starting to look like a "freefall" to me. Hoping I'm wrong.

Dude, Eth is down 9% against BTC.
    Eth is down 14% against Dollar.

This is much worse than BTC's performance which in fact is down only 2.5% against Dollar.
    This is starting to look like a "freefall" to me. Hoping I'm wrong.

It fell something similar less than a week ago only to recover within 24 hours..

I'm not in this with money I can't afford to lose and I'm still in the green. I'm holding long term.

It doesn't look good though.

Loads of it.. Doing nothing of any note for a while now.

This is a merri-go-round hahah... I bought back into ETH when it bounced to the value I left it at (Kraken also seemed very suppressed compared to other exchanges.... 10% or so, versus other exchanges, not sure why that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What is up with people, ETH is up over 125 on last month. Pretty damn good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Curious to see what happens when coinbase is back up. I don't see it being pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

jester77 wrote: »
    What is up with people, ETH is up over 125 on last month. Pretty damn good imo.

Not everyone was in a month ago. Some bought at over 300, some at closer to 400. Sure, it's swings and roundabouts but eth has become extremely volatile and has dropped by more than 10% two days in a row. That's surely cause for some discussion, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Question is will this settle like this suggests or is it the much heralded end of the eth bubble?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Never panic sell, never pile on. You will always lose money. Just Buy and hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This will happen dozens of times over the next months in various ways

Make a plan and stick to it. I bought one particular coin in 2013 that made a loss for 4 years, then recently gave me around 800% returns

People spook easily, irrational exuberance, herd panic.. it's all part and parcel. Personally, I buy my coins and leave them, not interested in this bubble - interested in the second or third one years down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

For all the **** that just happened to Ethereum's network it didn't fall far. Status really tested the network and for all the flac it's getting no other coin would of been able to sustain that volume of transactions.. I think it will hover around 300 mark for a while to build up confidence again

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    This will happen dozens of times over the next months in various ways

Make a plan and stick to it. I bought one particular coin in 2013 that made a loss for 4 years, then recently gave me around 800% returns

People spook easily, irrational exuberance, herd panic.. it's all part and parcel. Personally, I buy my coins and leave them, not interested in this bubble - interested in the second or third one years down the line

This is exactly what im planning to do...spread across a couple of coins...and wait...

An update from GDAX on that massive sell order yesterday
    ETH-USD Trading Update
    On 21 June 2017 at 12:30pm PT, a multimillion dollar market sell was placed on the GDAX ETH-USD order book. This resulted in orders being filled from $317.81 to $224.48, translating into a book slippage of 29.4%. This slippage started a cascade of approximately 800 stop loss orders and margin funding liquidations, causing ETH to temporarily trade as low as $0.10.
    Our initial investigations show no indication of wrongdoing or account takeovers. We understand this event can be frustrating for our customers. Our matching engine operated as intended throughout this event and trading with advanced features like margin always carries inherent risk.
    We are continuing to conduct a thorough investigation and will keep customers updated with any resulting actions. With that in mind, it is important to note that these trades are final in accordance with our GDAX Trading Rules (Section 3.1). Honoring properly executed orders is critical to maintaining the integrity of an exchange. In response to the large price movement we decided to temporarily halt trading of ETH-USD. Once we confirmed all systems were operating correctly, we restored trading when in accordance with our Downtime Process (Section 5).

Trade as low as 10c?

sure that would have wiped out many people's holdings for SFA were there stop loss order executed at that price..

Yeah some people took heavy losses or were wiped out yesterday

Others got deal of the century

Most normal exchanges (stock markets) have circuit breakers for this kind of thing. Crypto exchanges, yeah not so much

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Yeah some people took heavy losses or were wiped out yesterday

Others got deal of the century

Most normal exchanges (stock markets) have circuit breakers for this kind of thing. Crypto exchanges, yeah not so much

yeah I forgot about the flipside

buy @ 10c sell a short while later for 2800 times that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

yeah I forgot about the flipside

buy @ 10c sell a short while later for 2800 times that

yip, check out this order :eek:

https://api.gdax.com/products/eth-usd/trades?after=6326580&limit=1

Advertisement