Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

206 1.4hdi revs stuck now not starting

Options
  • 20-12-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

206 1.4hdi revs stuck now not starting after I washed the car (but that might be a red hering)

Was driving home from it then the revs dropped to about 1100 and wouldn't budge then I limped the car home where I left it running for a while and it returned to normal so I turned off the car and went away

That evening I went off in the car and it happened again so I put my foot to the top of the throttle position sensor and it went to normal again (could be another red herring) then I continued and after another 5 minutes and the stop light came on with the revs going down so I pulled in and I stopped the car and now it won't start

I had to be towed home

Any help appreciated I'm getting it scanned on Monday just to see but I am baffled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

fergus1001 wrote: »
    206 1.4hdi revs stuck now not starting after I washed the car (but that might be a red hering)

Was driving home from it then the revs dropped to about 1100 and wouldn't budge then I limped the car home where I left it running for a while and it returned to normal so I turned off the car and went away

That evening I went off in the car and it happened again so I put my foot to the top of the throttle position sensor and it went to normal again (could be another red herring) then I continued and after another 5 minutes and the stop light came on with the revs going down so I pulled in and I stopped the car and now it won't start

I had to be towed home

Any help appreciated I'm getting it scanned on Monday just to see but I am baffled
    It's not the imobiliser because the key is recognised (beeping when door opened)

Engine is turning over but no smoke (fuel in the rails)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Tbh it could be anything from a crankshaft sensor to the accelerator pedal.....
    The only way forward is to get it plugged in to dealer level diagnostics and see what faults are logged.
    Post up the fault codes if you get it scanned...

Row wrote: »
    Tbh it could be anything from a crankshaft sensor to the accelerator pedal.....
    The only way forward is to get it plugged in to dealer level diagnostics and see what faults are logged.
    Post up the fault codes if you get it scanned...

Yeah I'm going to have someone call out tomorrow to have it looked at ill post back here when I get the results going to move as fast as I can to get it going for the Xmas

Ecu is dead that's the problem obviously water got into it when I was washing it

New the ecu
    the key
    and bsi

Am I right ?

Ecu is dead that's the problem obviously water got into it when I was washing it

New the ecu
    the key
    and bsi

Am I right ?

Did you power wash the engine..?
    Check fuses first and if the engine is fried then you will need an engine ecu/Bsi/Key fob all from a doner 206/year/etc.
    Also ask for the vin number wherever you get the bsi kit from..

• Advertisement

Did you power wash the engine..?
    Check fuses first and if the engine is fried then you will need an engine ecu/Bsi/Key fob all from a doner 206/year/etc.
    Also ask for the vin number wherever you get the bsi kit from..

Oh believe me I checked the fuses before I spent 150 on a new ecu/bsi

I have the vin

I have all that now and installed

Will I have to get to a peugeot dealer to enable the extras on my car plus the radio

Like I have fog lights they dont work, auto lights do not work, auto wipers ect

And thanks again row for the help your a savior

Oh believe me I checked the fuses before I spent 150 on a new ecu/bsi

I have the vin

I have all that now and installed

Will I have to get to a peugeot dealer to enable the extras on my car plus the radio

Like I have fog lights they dont work, auto lights do not work, auto wipers ect

And thanks again row for the help your a savior

No Problem....If you got the same bsi etc with the same numbers etc then it should only be a matter of re-configuring the bsi to get the fogs/auto wipers working.
    If you know someone with peugeot planet/diagbox then they should be able to reconfigure it for you..:)

No Problem....If you got the same bsi etc with the same numbers etc then it should only be a matter of re-configuring the bsi to get the fogs/auto wipers working.
    If you know someone with peugeot planet/diagbox then they should be able to reconfigure it for you..:)

I can't find anyone with it but I seen a delphi diagnostic kit on adverts for 80 euro (it can do the reprogramming ect) would it be worth my while buying it,

I'm also having a problem since the bsi change the temp gauge is flying into the red straight away as if I have wires crossed, I disconnected the temp sensor just to narrow my search Could I have but some harness on the bsi in the wrong placentre without blowing it out ?

I can't find anyone with it but I seen a delphi diagnostic kit on adverts for 80 euro (it can do the reprogramming ect) would it be worth my while buying it,

I'm also having a problem since the bsi change the temp gauge is flying into the red straight away as if I have wires crossed, I disconnected the temp sensor just to narrow my search Could I have but some harness on the bsi in the wrong placentre without blowing it out ?

Its unlightly that you have wires crossed if it was just a plugin play...Is the bsi the exact same (part numbers etc) as your original..?

The Delphi system is a good system but its not capable of reconfiguring the bsi.
    If your based new galway i can do it for you otherwise you should be able to pick up a copy version of peugeot diagbox for €100..:)
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=peugeot+diagbox&_sacat=0

Merry Christmas.

Its unlightly that you have wires crossed if it was just a plugin play...Is the bsi the exact same (part numbers etc) as your original..?

The Delphi system is a good system but its not capable of reconfiguring the bsi.
    If your based new galway i can do it for you otherwise you should be able to pick up a copy version of peugeot diagbox for €100..:)
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=peugeot+diagbox&_sacat=0

Merry Christmas.

Ok I got the car configured and it's still not reving properly they told me that it might be a blocked exhaust but I'm not convinced

They said the maf has an open circuit

And the same with the temp sensor

The lad told me that the pin outs of the ecu that I got might be slightly different causing the temp issue

Getting browned off with peugeot now ha

• Advertisement

Where the engine ecu and bsi the exact same as they original...?

Maybe the ecu multiplugs have dampness/moisture from the time this all started..?

Are there any fault codes logged..?
    Have you checked the accelerator position on live data..?

Where the engine ecu and bsi the exact same as they original...?

Maybe the ecu multiplugs have dampness/moisture from the time this all started..?

Are there any fault codes logged..?
    Have you checked the accelerator position on live data..?

Yes the ecu bsi came as a set with matching numbers to the original

I cleaned the multi plugs with electrical cleaner then dryed them out using a heat gun

The tech in conlons peugeot did not say anything about the throttle position (he wrote out a detailed list of what was done and what was not working and also what codes were on there

I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance

I have an electronic engineer lined up to take a look at the original ecu for me if it comes to that

I'm after heating the original board now in the hope that it will kick it back to life

Yes the ecu bsi came as a set with matching numbers to the original

I cleaned the multi plugs with electrical cleaner then dryed them out using a heat gun

The tech in conlons peugeot did not say anything about the throttle position (he wrote out a detailed list of what was done and what was not working and also what codes were on there

I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance

I have an electronic engineer lined up to take a look at the original ecu for me if it comes to that

I'm after heating the original board now in the hope that it will kick it back to life

Just an update I got the circuit diagrams for both ecu's and they are the same so it's the ecu I got that is at fault so I am in the process of trying to get my money back from the dismantlers and get one elsewhere and hopefully that will be that !

Its unusual that both engine ecus are coming back with the same problem (not reving)..:confused:
    The cats do give trouble so to eliminate this disconnect the cat below the turbo and see if it then reves up.

Its unusual that both engine ecus are coming back with the same problem (not reving)..:confused:
    The cats do give trouble so to eliminate this disconnect the cat below the turbo and see if it then reves up.

No see the other ecu got stuck at x revs then died completely, the one I have now Is doing it because the maf is on an open circuit (I suspect) it's reving to 3k and no more

I was onto the crowd that supplied me the ecu said that the glow plugs can cause this problem but I think they are sending me in circles

I think I should just take the lot out bring it back and source a new one

Am I right ?

No see the other ecu got stuck at x revs then died completely, the one I have now Is doing it because the maf is on an open circuit (I suspect) it's reving to 3k and no more

I was onto the crowd that supplied me the ecu said that the glow plugs can cause this problem but I think they are sending me in circles

I think I should just take the lot out bring it back and source a new one

Am I right ?

Just a quick question if I get just the ecu unit without the rest is it possible to recode it to the bsi ect or is that to much hassle ?

Just a quick question if I get just the ecu unit without the rest is it possible to recode it to the bsi ect or is that to much hassle ?

A s/h engine ecu cannot be recoded to the car only a new one,
    The bsi (inside fusebox) has the immobiliser built into it so you need to pair the engine ecu/bsi/key which you have done.
    If its reving to 3k then it sounds like its in limp mode...What faults are been flagged..?..Will they clear..?

A s/h engine ecu cannot be recoded to the car only a new one,
    The bsi (inside fusebox) has the immobiliser built into it so you need to pair the engine ecu/bsi/key which you have done.
    If its reving to 3k then it sounds like its in limp mode...What faults are been flagged..?..Will they clear..?

The maf has an open circuit along with the temp sensor

I'm just going to bring it back tomorrow and get one elsewhere I have a feeling I am after picking up someone else's problem and it's not worth the time and money relative to the price of the car

When I get the new ecu ect fitted I will report back here, thanks for your input only for you I would be lost ha

The maf has an open circuit along with the temp sensor

I'm just going to bring it back tomorrow and get one elsewhere I have a feeling I am after picking up someone else's problem and it's not worth the time and money relative to the price of the car

When I get the new ecu ect fitted I will report back here, thanks for your input only for you I would be lost ha

No Problem...let us know how it goes for you.

No Problem...let us know how it goes for you.

So I went to cavan to get another one drove the sick car up to chane it up there to con firm it worked before I bought it and when I put in the ecu and bsi and turned on the key it done the same thing so I am looking at getting a new wiring harness for the maf and temp sensor which are in the one loom conveniently

As said before both of those sensors are open circuts so I will just get the loom for it out of a breakers and install it myself

To top it all off I could have done it myself pulling at wires when the ecu died in the first place (lesson learned)

I'll try get that tomorrow and I will update again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

"As said before both of those sensors are open circuts so I will just get the loom for it out of a breakers and install it myself"

If you have the wiring diagrams and pinouts of the ecu, which I think you have, it will be easy enough to test for the open circuit faults. This will be easy for your electricial expert and right up his alley.

Try to find the cause of these faults before you change any more parts.

dieselbug wrote: »
    "As said before both of those sensors are open circuts so I will just get the loom for it out of a breakers and install it myself"

If you have the wiring diagrams and pinouts of the ecu, which I think you have, it will be easy enough to test for the open circuit faults. This will be easy for your electricial expert and right up his alley.

Try to find the cause of these faults before you change any more parts.

Only reason I'm going that route is because it could be a plug or anything a lot of variables ill have a chat with him anyways tomorrow and get him to diagnose the wires

If your getting short circuit on both the maf and air intake temp sensor then i would check the condition of that multiplug.
    If they pins look spread apart then see if you can pull them together alittle and see if the faults clear.
    if you need the ecu to maf wiring diagrams then pm me the vin number and i'll post them up...;)

If your getting short circuit on both the maf and air intake temp sensor then i would check the condition of that multiplug.
    If they pins look spread apart then see if you can pull them together alittle and see if the faults clear.
    if you need the ecu to maf wiring diagrams then pm me the vin number and i'll post them up...;)

Is that on the ecu side or the actual conectors I shall be going at it in the morning

Is that on the ecu side or the actual conectors I shall be going at it in the morning

No its the plug on the maf sensor itself.

No its the plug on the maf sensor itself.

Ah yeah the wires going into it don't look the best anyway I shall start there and if that fails then I will just run new wires to the ecu for both sensors

I'll send you that vin number momenterally

There is a lot of moisture in the plug going into the ecu so I have it set up with a hair drier now to get rid of it, this is the only conclusion now as I have replaced wiring to the temp sensor from the ecu and it made no difference and the wires I removed from the loom had absolutly no sign of damage or cracks

The moisture was electrical cleaner that I sprayed into the plugs when the previous ecu died :pac:

There is a lot of moisture in the plug going into the ecu so I have it set up with a hair drier now to get rid of it, this is the only conclusion now as I have replaced wiring to the temp sensor from the ecu and it made no difference and the wires I removed from the loom had absolutly no sign of damage or cracks

The moisture was electrical cleaner that I sprayed into the plugs when the previous ecu died :pac:

Ok done this and no difference but I disconected number 400 wire I think it's ground and the gauge in the car dropped and the stop light went out so now I'm wondering if the two plugs themselves are the problem shorting out and causing what's going on

Ok done this and no difference but I disconected number 400 wire I think it's ground and the gauge in the car dropped and the stop light went out so now I'm wondering if the two plugs themselves are the problem shorting out and causing what's going on

Row could it be possible to get the maf pin outs off you so I can check it and rewire as necessary ?

• Advertisement

Row could it be possible to get the maf pin outs off you so I can check it and rewire as necessary ?

I'll post it up if you pm me the vin number..;)

Advertisement