Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

D'Agger wrote: »
    Did AOM get the MOTM award over Moran? That's a strange call, a dog on the street could tell you Moran was the best player on the pitch!

Delighted for him given his injuries over the past few years stunting his development somewhat - a fantastic player and I hope he continues his form & not just this year either.

]

jod was motm
    lots would agree that moran was deserving of motm
    he dragged kerry through when the chips were down awesome display by him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

As a non-Kerry man, it is about time Moran started delivering on his ability and pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    As a non-Kerry man, it is about time Moran started delivering on his ability and pedigree.
    What kind of a comment is that you do know how long he has been out with injuries and before those injuries he was well delivering on his ability.And what has pedigree got to do with it as i thought that only applies to race horses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Not sure where you are getting that from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The more things change the more they stay the same, this is our tradition in the glorious Kingdom of Kerry. On the 21st day of September we will gather our men from the valleys and hills, from Ventry to Kilgarvan, Tousist to Tarbert, with cars, tractors and planes we will find a way and our men and women will march on Dublin's fair city. We are going with a purpose, we are going with a plan and we're bringing home SAM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Donegal in the final for ye.....who'd have thought it!

Will ye be able to beat a Northern team in the final?
    Tactics will win or lose the game.
    Should be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I hope Fitzmaurice has seen enough today to come up with a plan to beat Donegal.

I think stopping them from building up a lead is important. They shut up shop very efficiently one they got their 3rd goal. If we can dispossess them in their attack, then transition to our own forwards quickly and before they get numbers back, there will be more space for our lads to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Donegal were very impressive today in going through the gears, the didn't look to tire at any point and that's an incredibly fit Dublin side as we've seen them blow past teams running at them.

Donegal won the midfield battle overall, they seemed to dominate on breaks, Kerry were very competitive on that front yesterday so it's going to be an interesting battle. Kerrys wing back line is crucial the next day - they need to stop Donegal from breaking through with pace when they win breaks and try to congest that area, half forwards will need to track back and if Murphy is left inside then they'll be giving and going off him with his ability to hold up play using his strength.

Donegals tackling 2nd half was impressive too, forwards will need to be on top form to go past them

Can't wait for throw in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Stinicker wrote: »
    The more things change the more they stay the same, this is our tradition in the glorious Kingdom of Kerry. On the 21st day of September we will gather our men from the valleys and hills, from Ventry to Kilgarvan, Tousist to Tarbert, with cars, tractors and planes we will find a way and our men and women will march on Dublin's fair city. We are going with a purpose, we are going with a plan and we're bringing home SAM.

The more things change the more they stay the same, and ye'll whinge and cry when we get beat by a stronger team who won't bow to ye're tradition and arrogance!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

If we can dispossess them in their attack, then transition to our own forwards quickly and before they get numbers back, there will be more space for our lads to work with.

Donegal like Kerry are great to hold onto the ball. Mayo and Dublin give a lot of poor ball away at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Listening to Terrace Talk on Radio Kerry now. Panel is very critical of the referees. Admitted that Kerry got the majority of calls. Agreed that the ref tried to let the game flow but players took advantage of this. As players received no censure this contributed to the melees. Red cards should have been shown but this is not done. Seems to be a general acceptance by the GAA that this occurs and no action has to be taken.

Also spoke about Maor Foirne should not be getting involved when play is continuing, only in breaks in play. When melees start and Maor Foirne are in the middle of it, this inflames players.

Also talk of Donnacha Walsh getting thrown over barrier into the stand - again no action.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Donegal like Kerry are great to hold onto the ball. Mayo and Dublin give a lot of poor ball away at the weekend.

Aye, but in the first 15 minutes I remember Dublin turning them over a number of times and scoring from it. We should have a look at that and try to replicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Anyone know how bad the injuries for Dec, Bryan, Darren and Gooch are? Who will be fully fit by the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Kumejima wrote: »
    Anyone know how bad the injuries for Dec, Bryan, Darren and Gooch are? Who will be fully fit by the final?

No chance of Gooch imo

Everyone else and hopefully O'Brien should be in contention somewhat.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1635&full=y
    Kerry to wear green and gold in the final apparently.
    No word about Donegal, surely we won't end up with a Dublin-Laois Leinster championship scenario? That would be farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1635&full=y
    Kerry to wear green and gold in the final apparently.
    No word about Donegal, surely we won't end up with a Dublin-Laois Leinster championship scenario? That would be farcical.

The Donegal is predominantly yellow/gold whetecas the Kerry one is predominantly green.
    I think they'll get away with it.

The Donegal is predominantly yellow/gold whetecas the Kerry one is predominantly green.
    I think they'll get away with it.

Just about, but it'll look awful, I can't understand why they'd do that.

Hopefully they've flipped a coin or something and Kerry won.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Both teams are wearing their normal strip. Can't see any issue with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »

Its a good thing too.
    The outrage of the callers to Terrace Talk would reach record levels if they had to wear blue again.
    For the two SF games loads of folks texted in wondering why Kerry were the only ones forced to change colour.
    Non of them realized that Mayo play on green and not red.

keane2097 wrote: »

Maybe I'm in the minority, but there is a reason both teams wore alternate strips in the 2012 QF.

It makes it much harder to see who's who when 4 or 5 lads are going for a high ball in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Maybe I'm in the minority, but there is a reason both teams wore alternate strips in the 2012 QF.

It makes it much harder to see who's who when 4 or 5 lads are going for a high ball in midfield.

A reduced hoop would make it alot easier on the eye as it would be all yellow v all green

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Remember the 97 final Kerry and Mayo both played in their traditional jerseys,Kerry had a larger yellow hoop though

Why not just have an all green jersey like the ladies have,

00067946-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Donegal jersey was half green that time, now it's all gold.

It's little different to Tipp vs Clare this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets.

Now that I have that out of my system, when will the aforementioned tickets be distributed to the clubs for onward distribution to the loyal followers/part-time fans/bandwagon jumpers (delete as appropriate)?

Few extra due to the county board as well with the Minors being involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Tickets.

Now that I have that out of my system, when will the aforementioned tickets be distributed to the clubs for onward distribution to the loyal followers/part-time fans/bandwagon jumpers (delete as appropriate)?

Few extra due to the county board as well with the Minors being involved too.

I'd be applying to my club now if I were you but tickets won't appear till next week I would say..or in my case, will appear in the Palace bar/Mulligans/Kilmacud 7s on the Saturday before the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What a year to have a season ticket. Its amazing not to have to be stressed about tickets.

Thought it was going to be a quiet one after Gooch went down in Feb. but fair play to the lads. Absolute commitment to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

DDC1990 wrote: »
    What a year to have a season ticket. Its amazing not to have to be stressed about tickets.

Thought it was going to be a quiet one after Gooch went down in Feb. but fair play to the lads. Absolute commitment to the cause.

Good but unless All Ireland is won it will account for nothing. Kerry usually win more than they lose though so great chance here.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Good but unless All Ireland is won it will account for nothing. Kerry usually win more than they lose though so great chance here.
    I don't think you understand the mindset of Kerry people going into this year.

This was a transition year. The year to develop the likes of Crowley, Geaney (x2) Murphy, Fionn into more battle-hardened Championship footballers, for a decent crack at the crown next year.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I didn't expect us to win the Munster Final, and I thought that Quarter Finals was as good as it was going to get this year.

Fast forward 6 months, and we're in an All Ireland Final, just in bonus territory. It was great to win Munster this year, and get a bit of silverware, and of course we'd be ecstatic with a win in the All Ireland, but its been a successful year for Kerry regardless of the final result.

Gooch back next year, maybe Tommy Walsh, another year of football behind the young players, keep bringing a few more young players through. We'll have a good crack at the All Ireland next year regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I don't think you understand the mindset of Kerry people going into this year.

This was a transition year. The year to develop the likes of Crowley, Geaney (x2) Murphy, Fionn into more battle-hardened Championship footballers, for a decent crack at the crown next year.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I didn't expect us to win the Munster Final, and I thought that Quarter Finals was as good as it was going to get this year.

Fast forward 6 months, and we're in an All Ireland Final, just in bonus territory. It was great to win Munster this year, and get a bit of silverware, and of course we'd be ecstatic with a win in the All Ireland, but its been a successful year for Kerry regardless of the final result.

Gooch back next year, maybe Tommy Walsh, another year of football behind the young players, keep bringing a few more young players through. We'll have a good crack at the All Ireland next year regardless.

I hope the players aren't thinking like that going into an all Ireland final. If they do, we're going to lose badly against Donegal. Bear in mind nobody expected Donegal to be here either (other than Jim mcg maybe).

• Advertisement

MOTM wrote: »
    I hope the players aren't thinking like that going into an all Ireland final. If they do, we're going to lose badly against Donegal. Bear in mind nobody expected Donegal to be here either (other than Jim mcg maybe).
    Oh, jesus of course not. Now that we are there its an excellent opportunity (50/50 really) of getting another All Ireland. For the young guys, they are looking for their first All Ireland. For a lot of the older guys, this might be their last chance of winning one.

They will be absolutely hungry for the game. If they weren't they wouldn't have pulled it out of the fire the first day against Mayo, or kicked on in ET vs Mayo in the replay.

These guys want it.

However, when we look back at the end of the year, it will have been a successful campaign, Win or Lose. It will also have been a loss of a great opportunity, but thats football.

I'l be gutted if we lose, but once the disappointment fades, the huge benefit of this season to Kerry football will be apparent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement