Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i be done if

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

copacetic wrote:
    do you normally ask mugggers for ID? your story has more holes in it than the plot in an episode of the a-team..

He told me he was a garda as he stuck his hand in my pocket. Any other holes you want cleared up...I then asked to see his ID and instructed my bro to call pearse street garda station when he refused to show it. Anyway, your man seen a passing garda van and called it other and still refused to show id even in front of other uniformed gardai. I dont see how you could think my story has holes in it...

I hate when people put up their garda horror stories and others say "a sure you must have been mouthing off or something" could people not think for a second that maybe some garda are **** and you dont even need to have mouthed off for them to be pricks and try to **** you over.

The feaker even tried to nick my phone. He gave me back my wallet but wouldn't hand back the phone. After reading my text messages going through my contacts and last dailed numbers might i add...He said he already returned it...I could see it in his hoody pocket and got my bro to ring it..He did this in front of 4 uniformed gardai...lol i reckon he was drunk or something because it was all very bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I have an appointment to get my NCT in three weeks, in the meantime I can't insure my car as I don't have a valid NCT (though they've told me they'll cover me for the day of the NCT so I can get to it), without insurance I can't renew my tax. My house doesn't have a front garden so my car is parked on the road outside, from what I'm hearing in this thread does this mean that if a garda came along I could be prosecuted despite the fact that I have no intention to drive my car til all this is sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

copacetic wrote:
    do you normally ask mugggers for ID? your story has more holes in it than the plot in an episode of the a-team..

George Peppard is rolling in his grave because of that remark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Trust me Cops don't do people for kicks, the paper work involved isn't worth the fun ..to say otherwise is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - Go on the offensive if you want to get satisfaction. Call Harcourt Street - ask to speak with the Duty Sargeant, explain what happened & read him the riot act. Tell him that it is not acceptable to be stopped & physically searched by an officer who did not identify himself & thet you wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the abuse of your civil liberties. Follow up with a written complaint to the Garda Ombudsman.

And get your tax & NCT sorted while your at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

You're not allowed to tax your car till it's up anyway. As someone else said when you tax it any day of the month you are taxed for the entire month. You can even tax it for the month during the first week or so of the following month.

That is an issue you can check with the Motor Tax Office, but they'll tell you they don't care about the NCT, that's an issue fully with the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Hill Billy wrote:
    OP - Go on the offensive if you want to get satisfaction. Call Harcourt Street - ask to speak with the Duty Sargeant, explain what happened & read him the riot act. Tell him that it is not acceptable to be stopped & physically searched by an officer who did not identify himself & thet you wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the abuse of your civil liberties. Follow up with a written complaint to the Garda Ombudsman.

And get your tax & NCT sorted while your at it.

I got a complaint form in the post from the ombubsman today...Gonna fill that in and send it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

You're not allowed to tax your car till it's up anyway.

I've got a tax disc winging it's way to me that says otherwise. The motor tax office sends out reminders and lets you pay online before your current tax expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

faceman wrote:
    sounds all a bit odd to me. Coppers dont just come up to punters and pull dirty cop stuff for nought?!
    yes they do, i got arrested for being drunk and disorderly when i hadn't even had a drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I have an appointment to get my NCT in three weeks, in the meantime I can't insure my car as I don't have a valid NCT (though they've told me they'll cover me for the day of the NCT so I can get to it), without insurance I can't renew my tax. My house doesn't have a front garden so my car is parked on the road outside, from what I'm hearing in this thread does this mean that if a garda came along I could be prosecuted despite the fact that I have no intention to drive my car til all this is sorted

yes thats exactly what there saying...there must be a reason your nct is up(not saying its your fault but in alot of cases it is)
    NCT can be done anytime before its up so thats what theyl say to you. very unlikely youll get done tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If your nct is out of date you can not even park your car on a public road. You can be fined for it. If you fail your nct and have to do it again you get a form showing that it failed and the next date so you can then drive the car.

Before you could buy your tax disc on line, the county council offices would not give you a tax disc until the first day of the next month so if your disc expired on 31st Oct you couldn't get the new disc until 1st November. That has all changed now with the online system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

dont you get a few days to put up a new one?

I think you have a few weeks?

I only got my tax renewal in the post on Monday, and the old one was up at the end of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You have a month from the date of expiry on your tax to renew it. I got this from a Garda source.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You have a month from the date of expiry on your tax to renew it. I got this from a Garda source.

Yup, as I said above too in a more confusing way :o

This particular person sounds like an ass if he was going through your text messages and everything, that would infuriate me:mad: Hope he's made an example of. Good luck!

Advertisement