Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Android on a stick' (Raspberry Pi like devices)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

At 3.5 inches x 1.4 inches x 0.5 inches, the MK802 really is tiny, and inside that case there's a single-core Allwinner A10 CPU (based on an ARM Cortex A8) running at 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, and 4GB of storage. It runs Android 4.0, though Liliputing notes that you should also be able to install other operating systems like Ubuntu on it.

Noice. I'm planning on putting in a new IPS panel so I'll have a spare one(not IPS, terrible old 19")...terminal in the sitting room anyone?
    Terminals_%2528Fallout_3%2529.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Thanks OP! Better value than the Cotton Candy I was waiting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Having said that, the Cotton Candy has the amazing ability to run windowed on any PC/Laptop, once you plug it into a USB port. Seriously neat feature. I assume the Cotton Candy still takes on the workload, just using the USB as a VNC style display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I was thinking of just using this with a display to make a jukebox. Instead of an old PC that I had originally planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Very interesting this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Seems like they're sold out, IT'S RASBERRY PI ALL OVER AGAIN! :p

Hope to see some reviews for it soon.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Seems like they're sold out..

They might not be. Amusingly.. and to be expected, being China.. what was posted on The Verge was a clone of a device put out by another company.

What was posted up top was the MK802, whereas the first stick released was the Z802, by a different manufacturer.

-=Z802=-

Manufacturer site: www.zero-devices.com

Typical retailer of the Z802: http://www.asiapads.com/product_info.php?products_id=2246

Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Amalgam wrote: »
    They might not be. Amusingly.. and to be expected, being China.. what was posted on The Verge was a clone of a device put out by another company.

What was posted up top was the MK802, whereas the first stick released was the Z802, by a different manufacturer.

-=Z802=-

Manufacturer site: www.zero-devices.com

Typical retailer of the Z802: http://www.asiapads.com/product_info.php?products_id=2246

Just a heads up.

Cheers, just ordered one. Also out of stock, but at least you can still order them. I can wait a month... probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Simi wrote: »
    Cheers, just ordered one. Also out of stock, but at least you can still order them. I can wait a month... probably.

I'm very interested to find out how this turns out.

Ordered mine. I'll be waiting by the looks of things. Any thoughts on setup in terms of htpc unit to NAS or home server?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

This seems really cool, can imagine everybody walking around with their computers as little USB sticks and just plugging them into monitors and keyboards.

Though.......

:mad::mad:I lost my computer again:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Does look really, cool and am tempted by it alright, might wait and see how others get on with theirs.

Whats the storage on it? is it SD Card only? cant find anywhere that specifies it

Its micro sd i believe

4gb internal. Supports micro sd up to 32gb.

The big brands are stepping in with minimal, 'naked', Android motherboards.

The BBC has posted a report on more competition to the Raspberry Pi, looming on the horizon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18163419

Via bringing out an Android motherboard with VGA out, which I'd love to mod to be 'inside', or in the moulded foot base, of a Dell CRT, for instance.

The Via offering, below.

viaandroidmb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Good for us. I think RPi will be better for mobile projects - power usage 2.5-3.5W for RPi or 13.5W for that new competition from BBC web page.

Has anyone found any decent forums on this product in terms of modding or general application of the device itself? Struggling to find anything out ther at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://raspberrymod.com/

seems to be the best, but if you hit something better please post the link

[they got spam flooded, so the forum is useless now - 30th May 2012]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Amalgam wrote: »
    Interesting item featured on The Verge today.

androidusbmk802.gif

Tiny ARM powered Android dongle with HDMI\Wifi\MicroSD\Mini USB and a Mali 400 GPU. Under $75 shipped.

The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/18/3028202/mk802-android-usb-hdmi-stick

Trader link on Aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/563764893-New-released-Android4-0-IPTV-google-tv-smart-android-box-allwinner-A10-Model-MK802--wholesalers.html

I love the idea of these. Great back up machine or just the perfect, 'Granny\Grampa\Doddery parents internet access' option. Also great as a low voltage option. No need to have a full PC on if just browsing.

i really like the idea of this!
    wireless keyboard and big telly and away you go(32gb micro sd would be nice also!)
    i think I will purchase!
    wondering about media centre on this .
    XBMC for example???

• Advertisement

seanin4711 wrote: »
    i really like the idea of this!
    wireless keyboard and big telly and away you go(32gb micro sd would be nice also!)
    i think I will purchase!
    wondering about media centre on this .
    XBMC for example???

+1. Ordered mine some tine ago. Waiting for it to be dispatched. Cant wait to see where thus can go. Possible network shares would be massive addition for media playback.

Been researching network streaming in anticipation of my sticks arrival (a man can dream). This is the best free app I've found so far.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cx.hoohol.silanoid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImN4Lmhvb2hvbC5zaWxhbm9pZCJd

Works in a similar fashion to Samsung's Allshare DLNA player. Managed to get it to stream a few videos from my Win XP laptop so far, still working on getting my Win 7 desktop to work.

Edit: Should probably mention, i've been testing it out on a SGS i9000 with CM9 installed, so it works fine with ICS.

Found a possible set up for 'hard wiring' netwrok shares to the Z802.

LINKY

Could be useful along with PcAutowaker to wake home server or your network share device automatically.

Could be the start of something awesome..........and awesome is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

has anyone got one of this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Is there a huge opportunity to bring these into the commercial world..

I work in a multinational..our dublin office alone has over 600 dell desktops which are getting fairly rickety.

I assume they cost ~5 to 600 minumum at the time..
    Using one of these dongles at a cost of 50euro per computer could enable us to update that entire fleet for a fraction of the cost!

Wonder if anyone would try this with windows?

You're overestimating the power of the things. They're fine for a light linux distro, they wouldnt really hack XP nvm Win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

ED E wrote: »
    You're overestimating the power of the things. They're fine for a light linux distro, they wouldnt really hack XP nvm Win7.

true dat,
    for the most part most people use their computers here for word processing and email..some browsing and database use.

Generally things I'd imagine this device could handle..

If you were starting from scratch and developed a full on business solution, that maybe beefs ups the processor on the device and optimises the standard services then it could be a real cost saver.

People may be left with under powered computers perhaps but thats true today of machines we use which cost ~10 times what this thing cost.

Just a thought

The future for individual office/business PCs is bound to evolve..something like this could become part of an eventual solution

ldr wrote: »
    has anyone got one of this yet?

Still waiting for mine to ship from asipads. Suppose i should email them.

reganovich wrote: »
    true dat,
    for the most part most people use their computers here for word processing and email..some browsing and database use.

Generally things I'd imagine this device could handle..

If you were starting from scratch and developed a full on business solution, that maybe beefs ups the processor on the device and optimises the standard services then it could be a real cost saver.

People may be left with under powered computers perhaps but thats true today of machines we use which cost ~10 times what this thing cost.

Just a thought

The future for individual office/business PCs is bound to evolve..something like this could become part of an eventual solution

Personally if I was an IT manager I'd look to using them purely to dial into VMs, then put all the workload on the company servers, and invest the savings in great hardware there.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Personally if I was an IT manager I'd look to using them purely to dial into VMs, then put all the workload on the company servers, and invest the savings in great hardware there.

Is that what's known as a, 'thin client'?

Advertisement