Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Warrior Gym on Ballyboggan Road?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys,

My first post here, I moved from Galway to Dublin and I'm looking for a good gym. I know about the finglas leisure center but it's not really what I'm looking for and it's €8 a session with or without using the pool.

I seen the Universal Warrior Gym and was wondering does anybody know anything about the place, It was so big from the outside I didn't bother going in haha I googled it and found the site http://universal-warrior.com

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? there's no prices on the site and I was always wondering about the MMA in it too, but mainly weights.

Thanks so much if anyone replies!!
    Rob

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Big gym. Lots of heavy stuff. Sound lads running it.

Good place to get strong and in shape!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭COH

Great facility.. def worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Grasshopper89

Cool, I assume you lads train there yeah? Have they got good squatting facilities, Or is there anyone who could help me out down there and give some tips etc?

I shot off an email to them asking the price might head down on Monday,

Again thanks a lot lads this website is deadly, I'll deffo be checkin it out so

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

Cool, I assume you lads train there yeah? Have they got good squatting facilities, Or is there anyone who could help me out down there and give some tips etc?

I shot off an email to them asking the price might head down on Monday,

Again thanks a lot lads this website is deadly, I'll deffo be checkin it out so

Rob

They have power cage and monolift so your sorted for squatting, fees are 40 per month and think an extra 30 for the mma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I've trained there on and off for over a year. It's a pretty good gym.

Good squat racks, good platform, monolift.

The benches aren't great in my opinion - one is severely dented in the trap area which can throw you off balance, and the other feels low and narrow and the floor is slippy which can wreck your leg drive... Would be fine for casual training but I know some strength focused dudes who hated the benches..

The dumbell area is okay - not the biggest, and the DB's aren't all in great nick. Lad I know actually cut his hand to bits because plates on a DB that were loose caught his skin while he was shoulder pressing. The 2 DB's were uneven in length causing the plates to shift back and forwards, and also the handles were different sizes, which is a pain... but overall the DB section is fine and has what most would need.

Plenty of weight machines for full-on bodybuilding type training.

For mma - good big matted area, good bjj classes, good quality bags, octagon!!

Couple of kettlebells, bands, chains too.

Dressing room wouldn't exactly be 5-star luxury, and I know of several people who've had money and gear stolen from their bags which can't be taken to the gym floor for the same problem, so leave your valuables in your car or at home.

As said above 40e per month, and to do bjj classes is extra, can't remember how much but very reasonable.

• Advertisement

is there anyone who could help me out down there and give some tips etc?

Yeah from my experience you'll be well taken care of.

Cheers Kevin Lots of detail there! To be honest I went down (and forgot to post back - a bit selfish sorry!!).. and they let me train for free 1st session, and I really enjoyed it.

I'm humble when I train so I don't care about heavy weights or being too proud to admit I'm doing something wrong like 70% of gym rats! haha

But two lads actually helped me with shoulder exercises and Im chuffed got a really good work out so have no probs paying the €40 a month ill be down there a lot now.

Saying that, after reading your first message it almost made me afraid to go to the place thank god I already did or it might have thrown me off, an im delighted it didnt but thanks for all that info pal

I forgot about the MMA, you said it was a big matted room, I didn't go in to have a look. What do you think of it, have you done the MMA?

I'd be a very very beginner, I've never done any type of Martial Arts or boxing etc, I just heard there's a deal for €75 a month and that's gym and MMA, that sound decent, one of the lads on the floor said there's class most days, I'll be heading down later this evening I'll try ask a bit about it and re-post if it interests anyone??

Again all inputs are appreciated, Cause I was intimidated a bit and because of this boards.ie It helped to go down with everyone posted so I owe yaz thanks lads..

I forgot about the MMA, you said it was a big matted room, I didn't go in to have a look. What do you think of it, have you done the MMA?

I'd be a very very beginner, I've never done any type of Martial Arts or boxing etc, I just heard there's a deal for €75 a month and that's gym and MMA, that sound decent, one of the lads on the floor said there's class most days, I'll be heading down later this evening I'll try ask a bit about it and re-post if it interests anyone??

Again all inputs are appreciated, Cause I was intimidated a bit and because of this boards.ie It helped to go down with everyone posted so I owe yaz thanks lads..

Everyone starts somewhere. Give it a go, you won't regret it.

have you done it yourself?

• Advertisement

Yeah I think it's very good. Just do it and see, as hanley said you won't regret it.

have you done it yourself?

Not in universal warrior, but elsewhere, yes!!

I know the lads that run UW tho and they'll look after you well.

Yeah I'm lovin' it at the moment - Still haven't started the MMA though, it's a bit more of a "Man's" gym isn't it haha bit old school I like that.

Anyways I'm just back off Holidays, so time to lose the belly and start the MMA soon... I hope haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eoindeeng

Does anyone know where the new gym is located ? An address or phone number would be great. Thanks

eoindeeng wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the new gym is located ? An address or phone number would be great. Thanks

There's one just around in Dublin Industrial Estate called Asylum. Think that may be the one you're looking for.

Advertisement