Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you'd survive the first 48 hours?

Options
  • 26-04-2014 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

So we all have our plans to survive the apocalypse. We've stockpiled supplies and know we'd have to get out of suburbia pretty quick. However, what happens if you are not safe and cosy in your fortress with your family? Say you were in a busy shopping centre in the city centre and suddenly some infected burst in and started attacking other people. Would you freeze and become zombie chow or would you be able to act quick enough to get to safety? Take into account there would be mass panic, you would be unarmed and initially it might not hit you what is happening. After awhile I'm sure we would become desensitised to killing zombies but what if the person you were with turned and attacked you. Would you be able to act quick enough to kill them or would shock and revulsion stop you from acting?

While I like to think I would, I'm not sure I would survive. I hate violence and in the initial chaos I think I would panic and make a lot of mistakes or be unable to fight my way out. How do other boardies think they'd cope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Already dealing with zombies in suburbia, banging on the door and looking for votes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

read the charter, stick to the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Depends, if you were at the epicentre of the breakout then getting away from it in any direction would do, but if it was happening all around you, you could be running to worse trouble, so picking up weapons on the go
    fend em off with a mannequin? probably not a success,

Unless you can make a quick escape and get motor transport out to somewhere secure, then anyone running around in a mob could get taken down, especially if trying to move a group. Lock yourself in a shop with a small entrance and barricade the door, preferably a hardware or sports shop and hope there is a back door out.
    Check everyone and finish off any zombies in there using a group attack,

are these fastmoving zombies or slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shopping centre would be ideal . Flip a trolley and turtle out of there is your own little tank. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The initial 30 Minutes after you become aware of the situation is the critical point, if you can Survive that then the next 47.5 hours should be a doddle depending on how quickly you became aware of the problem and how well you reacted to it.

Lets face it if you havent got your snit together in the first half hour you are just a Z snack. ideally you should have a plan formulated and enacted after 90 seconds, and this shouldnt take more than half an hour to be operational.

• Advertisement

Shopping centre would be ideal . Flip a trolley and turtle out of there is your own little tank. :)

this gives me an idea, how about some form of portable 'Shark Cage' armour?

heres a quick mockup, basicly 3 shopping trolleys, fromed into a rolling cage, you can make a few secureable flaps so as to stick your legs out the bottom for propulsion and one to shove an arm out to pick stuff up, if you had some form of long pointy metal bar in there with you it should be easy enough to dispatch any Z's that got too close
    304803.png

If they wait while you hacksaw up a few trollies, doesnt noise attract?
    Other than that I can only see one achilles heel to this armour.

Well, The assumption would be that you were in a secure enough location before you started, I wouldn't recommend trying to do this in an aldi carpark with a horde bearing down on you.

whats my achilles heel?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think it's going to go down that fast, we're talking about a disease here and the likes of a virus needs at least 3 days to start having an effect on the human body.

The idea a zombie can bite someone and they instantly turn into a mutant is just a fantasy. Biology doesn't really work that fast, especially not for viruses that want a host to live in, it's intention is never really to kill its host.

So I don't really see a situation where you'll be walking around everythings normal and next thing you know there's zombies everywhere. It just won't happen like that.

what would be likely is the outbreak has been ongoing for week, international trade has ground to a halt, people have been staying indoors but are now desperate for food. The zombies best weapon in this situation is to not be obvious, being infectious while not showing signs is when a virus is at it's most dangerous. So you would have the fear of not knowing who's infectious and who isn't but hunger forces you into a crowded situation. If someone did go from infected to full blown zombie it would cause instant panic, but not in the way we see in films.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Your average supermarket employee will go to work with a cold, flu etc, unless they're really sick. Or hung over. The idea of not making a days wage will make you do funny things. I've done it, as a former supermarket employee. The problem is when the virus is in its infancy and one of these guys just tries to ignore it and goes to work. To elaborate a bit more, I'll give a "for instance"...

You're at a supermarket or shopping centre in a fairly populated town or suburb (sorry rural dwellers, you decided to go christmas shopping in the big town today). You're browsing, as you do, and a staff only door breaks open and a few screaming staff (was that one bleeding?) break out of the room.

Now as it turns out, Jonny over there decided to go inter-railing across Cambodia, with a dozen or so mates from work, where you've heard recently there was some sort of trouble with a new swine flu. Jonny thinks he's gotten out before it all went down, and skipped a trip to the doctor when he came back with "that rash"... Now jonny is back in work, he's got a terrible cold (well, it is ireland) and he's been hanging out in the back stores trying to relax while avoiding the management. BAM. Be falls over, and 2 hours later, is up, and hungry for Debbie the checkout girl, but not in the usual way.

Cut back to now, you're witnessing this snarling maniac in front of you and maybe 20 other shoppers. You can hear screaming in the distance, this Isnt isolated.

GO.

Points to note

1) Its an unfamiliar environment, at least 50km away from your home town/suburb. You dont know the layout of the supermarket (lets keep this generic)

2) Stock Romero/pop sci fi fast shamblers. Incubation time 1-3 days. Transmission saliva/blood/aerosolized mucus.

3) you dont have a trusty weapon on you (you're planning to go out clubbing later or something, i dunno, you left the FUBAR in to the shop to get repaired :D)

I think that would suit the Thread topic as a for instance. if not, can a mod mvoe it over to a scenario thread :)

• Advertisement

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Well, The assumption would be that you were in a secure enough location before you started, I wouldn't recommend trying to do this in an aldi carpark with a horde bearing down on you.

whats my achilles heel?

your achilles heels
    and
    if it toppled/got pushed over

cerastes wrote: »
    your achilles heels
    and
    if it toppled/got pushed over
    I mentioned flaps so you could tuck in your arms and legs, if it topples over you just use the long bar to push yourself back up.

the more I think about it tho, I'd be inclined to try and incorporate some form of bicycle into the design. Any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I mentioned flaps so you could tuck in your arms and legs, if it topples over you just use the long bar to push yourself back up.

the more I think about it tho, I'd be inclined to try and incorporate some form of bicycle into the design. Any suggestions

What about steps and the safety mats that shopping centers use so the wheels of the trolley wibt turn and ye can't steal the trollies.

Also, you may be underestimating the weight of a trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Depends where I am really.

Home/work then yes.

Really depends on location though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I have to say, the more I think about this idea, the more ingenious it becomes. Not only could I turtle my way out of there but so could all the people in my group. I know that it doesn't really offer any protection against a zombie but in the initial chaos there would be so much zed chow running around that they wouldn't notice a few of us sneakily making our way out.

Mr Incognito, you have the brilliance of MacGyver. I would like to offer you a position in my group.

What about steps and the safety mats that shopping centers use so the wheels of the trolley wibt turn and ye can't steal the trollies.

Also, you may be underestimating the weight of a trolley

The design would be self supporting, so weight is less of an issue, but yeah terrain woud be an issue, especially steps. Its a work in progress, I've exams to study for at the moment, but I might review the concept in a few weeks, or whenever I need to distract myself from multivariable calculus or electromagnetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If you are relying on an upside down shopping trolley to save your arse you are as good as dead :p.

I was actually in a very very busy shopping centre a few days ago and thought what would I do it it kicked off now. I then had a day dream about raising dead 2 and thought how cool that would be :p

In reality, I'd head to the many service area corridors. Top tip, follow signs for toilets and you'll find these "exits" into the work areas of the building. They will certainly be less populated. Pick up a highvis jacket as you travel. You'll blend in and security and staff will think it less likely that you are a would be looted. Remember, people will be in a state of panic. Panicked people are far more lethal than any Zeds.

Get out as quickly and quietly as you can.

If I were caught in a high populated area, stadium, concert, shopping centre, city centre, my chances of survival drop by about 36.5%.

The design would be self supporting, so weight is less of an issue, but yeah terrain woud be an issue, especially steps. Its a work in progress, I've exams to study for at the moment, but I might review the concept in a few weeks, or whenever I need to distract myself from multivariable calculus or electromagnetics.

not really if your looking at using a "stick" to prop yourself up again if you happen to fall over.

Although i will admit that the principle has something to it, a man powered portable humvee of sorts. keep the bottom wide and very low, try make it out of some form of alloy.

Could a prototype be made i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

If we take the most dangerous situation, ie a very fast spreading virus (seconds / minutes) and you are in a shopping centre or cinema (dense population, and away from your bug-out-bag / shelter / vehicle) ..... then I think your priority is to survive the first hour. The next 47 will take care of themselves. I think (no practical experience of a ZA!) that height will be your saving in the first 60 mins. Get up a tree, or up into the beams / air-con pipes of the cinema / shopping centre. To all expectations, Z's dont climb. Always keep an eye out for an upward exit wherever you go .... thats my thinking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Kromdar wrote: »
    Your average supermarket employee will go to work with a cold, flu etc, unless they're really sick. Or hung over. The idea of not making a days wage will make you do funny things. I've done it, as a former supermarket employee. The problem is when the virus is in its infancy and one of these guys just tries to ignore it and goes to work. To elaborate a bit more, I'll give a "for instance"...

You're at a supermarket or shopping centre in a fairly populated town or suburb (sorry rural dwellers, you decided to go christmas shopping in the big town today). You're browsing, as you do, and a staff only door breaks open and a few screaming staff (was that one bleeding?) break out of the room.

Now as it turns out, Jonny over there decided to go inter-railing across Cambodia, with a dozen or so mates from work, where you've heard recently there was some sort of trouble with a new swine flu. Jonny thinks he's gotten out before it all went down, and skipped a trip to the doctor when he came back with "that rash"... Now jonny is back in work, he's got a terrible cold (well, it is ireland) and he's been hanging out in the back stores trying to relax while avoiding the management. BAM. Be falls over, and 2 hours later, is up, and hungry for Debbie the checkout girl, but not in the usual way.

Cut back to now, you're witnessing this snarling maniac in front of you and maybe 20 other shoppers. You can hear screaming in the distance, this Isnt isolated.

GO.

Points to note

1) Its an unfamiliar environment, at least 50km away from your home town/suburb. You dont know the layout of the supermarket (lets keep this generic)

2) Stock Romero/pop sci fi fast shamblers. Incubation time 1-3 days. Transmission saliva/blood/aerosolized mucus.

3) you dont have a trusty weapon on you (you're planning to go out clubbing later or something, i dunno, you left the FUBAR in to the shop to get repaired :D)

I think that would suit the Thread topic as a for instance. if not, can a mod mvoe it over to a scenario thread :)
    fast shamblers or fast runners? the shamblers yes id survive but not the fast runners :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

If we take the most dangerous situation, ie a very fast spreading virus (seconds / minutes) and you are in a shopping centre or cinema (dense population, and away from your bug-out-bag / shelter / vehicle) ..... then I think your priority is to survive the first hour. The next 47 will take care of themselves. I think (no practical experience of a ZA!) that height will be your saving in the first 60 mins. Get up a tree, or up into the beams / air-con pipes of the cinema / shopping centre. To all expectations, Z's dont climb. Always keep an eye out for an upward exit wherever you go .... thats my thinking anyway.
    Climbing could backfire though, sure you might avoid the intial chaos but when things die down you'll be surrounded be zeds with little chance of escape if even just one sees you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

bushball wrote: »
    ...but when things die down you'll be surrounded be zeds with little chance of escape if even just one sees you

yup, thats a risk. But you will be safe up there while you come up with a plan. And they might get bored, or distracted by other survivors / runners / fresh-meat.

The risk of running away while the mob gets infected is much higher (imho). One trip, one lucky grasp by a Z, one wrong turn .... and its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I would give myself pretty good odds of surviving the first 48 hours, weapon and git teh fook outta dodge, using the most uncommon travel possible, steal a boat or float down river in a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Reading too much 'Apocalypse Z' are we ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Ain't nobody got no time for book learning's while zombies be on the loose.

But to escape a populated area during a zombie outbreak using standard modes of transport would be suicide. If in Dublin for the outbreak, just how far down the road do you think you would get before encountering a blocked road, everyone jumped up on adrenaline driving as fast as possible. There is no need to move at top speed, just travel the right way - along a railway line with a weapon to deal with any z's you encounter and you will be fine. The less people you encounter the less zombies, sticking with the herd will get you killed.

Especialy when that herd becomes a horde.

Where I live now is zombie/ people proof. No way they could get in unless I let them.

Now to stock up on 6 months food and drinks, sorted.

Where I live now is zombie/ people proof. No way they could get in unless I let them.

Where is that?

Well, location is a bit of a problem. I live in Rome so it's population heavy. My apartment is on top floor with two entrances. One directly off a lift, the other onto a stair case. Both doors are heavy metal with 8 locking bolts fitted in. All windows and doors to the terrace have shutters fitted. They are electrical so not much use to me. Hardly needed anyway. If someone managed to get on to the terrace, they deserve to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

That's great but what happens if you are not at your apartment when the sh1t hits the fan? What if you make your way back only to find other people have taken it over? Having a good zed proof base is a start but it doesn't help you if you aren't in it!

Advertisement