Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Halogen Oven - Sunday Next €39.99

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont remember why, and i cant be bothered googling now to find out but when I was googling halogen ovens last year when I bought mine I saw alot of people warning against JML ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

never had a bother with the jml ones, a few of us have them aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭achiman

bogman wrote: »
    After much after much toing and froing I ordered the Andrew James halogen oven from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B002LYQF7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326760451&sr=8-1

I have gone for this one too, spare bulb and many extras ...works out around e70 delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Bought the amazon one today, must be bonkers but what the hell. Had a voucher so easy come... Must start clearing space for it now, might remove the trays in the crapped out oven and store it in there. How would i go about doing a roast chicken and roast spuds? Presumably the chicken takes one hour and the spuds thirty min?

i dont remember why, and i cant be bothered googling now to find out but when I was googling halogen ovens last year when I bought mine I saw alot of people warning against JML ones

The bulbs go, no splash protection, and cannot replace it i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Just washed mine and then heated it for 5 mins to get rid of the factory smells. They said it might smoke a bit but there was none.

Ran it as instructed for 5 mins at 125 degrees which is very low.

The light kept going on and off every 2/3 seconds which proves the thermostat is cutting in and out efficiently.

But is this too efficient and likely to blow the bulb!!!!!

Is the bulb covered by the 3yr warranty!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Bought the amazon one today, must be bonkers but what the hell. Had a voucher so easy come... Must start clearing space for it now, might remove the trays in the crapped out oven and store it in there. How would i go about doing a roast chicken and roast spuds? Presumably the chicken takes one hour and the spuds thirty min?

yeah thats right the chicken takes one hour. I put it in breast side down for half an hour then turned it and put the spuds in around it then cooked for another half hour, lovely crispy spuds and moist chicken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

casio4 wrote: »
    yeah thats right the chicken takes one hour. I put it in breast side down for half an hour then turned it and put the spuds in around it then cooked for another half hour, lovely crispy spuds and moist chicken :)

Am just trying to work out how to use the oven.
    What size of chicken and what temperature did you use?
    What sort of container did you put it in?(I used the top of a round casserole dish)
    Also, how did you fit the spuds in as well as it said to leave space around the sides? Did you put them on top of the chicken? I could not have fitted spuds unless they were against the glass at the side. I did use the extender ring, so space on top.

Beautiful grilled steak from the oven. Well worth the money. For anybody disappointed, Aldi offer the same goods on a regular basis, so hopefully will be back on Aldi shelf soon.

teileann wrote: »
    Am just trying to work out how to use the oven.
    What size of chicken and what temperature did you use?
    What sort of container did you put it in?(I used the top of a round casserole dish)
    Also, how did you fit the spuds in as well as it said to leave space around the sides? Did you put them on top of the chicken? I could not have fitted spuds unless they were against the glass at the side. I did use the extender ring, so space on top.

Beautiful grilled steak from the oven. Well worth the money. For anybody disappointed, Aldi offer the same goods on a regular basis, so hopefully will be back on Aldi shelf soon.
    it was a medium size chicken and I think I put it at 200. The oven came with 2 grills I had it on the lower one, my spuds fitted in around it but if they hadn't fitted there is a higher rack that can be used for the poatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've had the JML one for about 4 years now. No problems whatsoever and I'd recommend these things to anyone.

Just be careful not to break the bowl!

• Advertisement

I've had the JML one for about 4 years now. No problems whatsoever and I'd recommend these things to anyone.

Just be careful not to break the bowl!

What do you tend to cook in it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Can you cook enough for a family in one of these in one go? i.e. a whole chicken and enough potatoes or oven chips for 3/4 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭V4

Hi

Is other peoples Aldi one as noisy as mine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrpxiacUk4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my god that's incredibly loud

I dont have that model but that can not be right

V4 wrote: »
    Hi

hard to tell but I think that sounds louder than mine and I got mine in Aldi, how about bringing it back for a replacement? they might get one for you

V4 wrote: »
    Hi

yeah mine sounds like that too thought it was just normal though, a fan in confined space bound to make some noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Bought one just now on childers road limerick, 3 left after I took one.

Today's dinner was a ready made curry, lets see how it fares this simple task!

//EDIT Don't do it, crispy rice!!! hehe ill make a proper dinner in it tomorrow

Have to bring this back for a refund, it's just too big and ackward me.

I see there is a 10.5L one, would that be smaller in diameter than the 12L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

lau1247 wrote: »
    bogman, kinda cheeky to ask, any chance of sharing the halogen oven cook book in a PDF format when you get it??
    :eek:
    lau1247 wrote: »
    I have but the one that comes with Bogman's Halogen Oven is 128 page, must be a fair bit of good recipe in there..

Andrew James oven arrived yesterday, will try cooking fish in it tomorrow, it seems bigger than the Aldi one, bowl diameter 310mm and 270mm high, well built and the accessories look the business, wasn't that impressed with the Cookbook and God knows how id copy all 125 pages to PDF format lol, my advice is go for the internet links given on this thread and use the menus there
    Whats the verdict so far, anyone have nice a recipe for a fish dish :-)
    Boards.ie have a fine forum here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=610

For anyone looking for a smaler size, here is a 7L has good set of extras, expander ring, cook book, lid holder and spare bulb which is easy to fit to this oven. £32stg+£16.75 delivery.

Total converts to approx €62 but includes free bulb and stand, so ok price as smaller sizes often nearly cost as much as bigger size.

Doesn't qualify for free delivery unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-including-extender-replaceable/dp/B004DR1X0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327518453&sr=8-1

• Advertisement

bogman wrote: »
    Andrew James oven arrived yesterday, will try cooking fish in it tomorrow, it seems bigger than the Aldi one, bowl diameter 310mm and 270mm high, well built and the accessories look the business, wasn't that impressed with the Cookbook and God knows how id copy all 125 pages to PDF format lol, my advice is go for the internet links given on this thread and use the menus there
    Whats the verdict so far, anyone have nice a recipe for a fish dish :-)
    Boards.ie have a fine forum here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=610

Is that fish I smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Sure is, first time using it, smoked Cod fish pie with mashed potatoes, fennel, black pepper, spinach, chopped green pepper & can of tomatoes, fresh cream, some milk & a little olive oil, little experience outside cooking stews n curries so all new to me, made a few mistakes but you wouldn't think it sampling the dinner, didnt realise twas for 4 so had to adapt after preparing stage 4, turned out a little bit watery but not too much, continued to cook on 250c for 3 or 4 mins more at the end hence the "burnt look" :rolleyes:

424036_2814740602364_1074276521_2844885_2078059304_n.jpg

430691_2814754562713_1074276521_2844886_772735200_n.jpg

Recommend this dish to anyone who likes fish, delicious !

My Andrew James 12l arrived. It lives inside the old oven now, fits well. Did jacket spuds (60 min roosters), then did chicken breasts and this am sausages. Its very quiet, no racket from fan. Might be worth examining the lidl fan to see if it can be adjusted.

Observations:

Holder for the lid is odd and doesn't work that well but its essential.
    You have to be on guard at all times when taking lid off and keep that power lead away from it, though that said the cover on the cable seems very heat proof.
    You cannot turn timer backwards (dont need to anyway as it winds down whether power on or off)
    Takes up monster amounts of workspace for duration of cooking

So what you get is a massive glass oven basically. Its more efficient and keeps heat better. So since everything cooks faster and there is no escape from the heat you need more accurate timings. Meat gets encased in a crunchy seal on the outside fairly quickly so retains moisture better inside.
    You can see whats going on at all times, no opening oven all the time. And if you do open it it reheats to full temp in seconds again. I reckon for sponges it could be fantastic.

I wrapped the round tin plate in foil and this sits at bottom of bowl with grille on it at all times.

Doing chicken and pots later.

Its good fun, I can see it replacing my oven completely except for perhaps large lasagnes with garlic bread or kiddies' functions. Also would use old oven to keep the food from the halogen one warm if i was staggering foods a bit.

Overall 10/10 and good fun.

Did the chicken and pots. Basically, would have been easier in the oven. Same cooking times but a lot more hassle. Beter for smaller jobs. That said was a large chicken with six good size potatoes around it. V succulent chick though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did the chicken and pots. Basically, would have been easier in the oven. Same cooking times but a lot more hassle. Beter for smaller jobs. That said was a large chicken with six good size potatoes around it. V succulent chick though!

That was very noticeable here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭achiman

My Andrew James 12l arrived. It lives inside the old oven now, fits well. Did jacket spuds (60 min roosters), then did chicken breasts and this am sausages. Its very quiet, no racket from fan. Might be worth examining the lidl fan to see if it can be adjusted.

Observations:

Holder for the lid is odd and doesn't work that well but its essential.
    You have to be on guard at all times when taking lid off and keep that power lead away from it, though that said the cover on the cable seems very heat proof.
    You cannot turn timer backwards (dont need to anyway as it winds down whether power on or off)
    Takes up monster amounts of workspace for duration of cooking

So what you get is a massive glass oven basically. Its more efficient and keeps heat better. So since everything cooks faster and there is no escape from the heat you need more accurate timings. Meat gets encased in a crunchy seal on the outside fairly quickly so retains moisture better inside.
    You can see whats going on at all times, no opening oven all the time. And if you do open it it reheats to full temp in seconds again. I reckon for sponges it could be fantastic.

I wrapped the round tin plate in foil and this sits at bottom of bowl with grille on it at all times.

Doing chicken and pots later.

Its good fun, I can see it replacing my oven completely except for perhaps large lasagnes with garlic bread or kiddies' functions. Also would use old oven to keep the food from the halogen one warm if i was staggering foods a bit.

Overall 10/10 and good fun.

with the lid holder you need to grab it and spread it a little then it works a treat...ie.. it slots home perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

How long did you cook chicken and spuds for , and at what temp, mine I thought a very dry, tough after 60 min, 200 c, cheers

chris1970 wrote: »
    How long did you cook chicken and spuds for , and at what temp, mine I thought a very dry, tough after 60 min, 200 c, cheers
    I think I cooked my chicken between 160c and 175c, did it breast side down for 30 mins then turned it and did it for another 30 mins

Breast down for half hour, then turned for 50 min. At 200. At bottom of dish. Then blasted spuds for another 15 at max temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Barnet

achiman wrote: »
    I have gone for this one too, spare bulb and many extras ...works out around e70 delivered

Hi Achiman

After all my research and reading reviews on these ovens, I decided the Andrew James Premium 12 ltr oven was also the one for me. Excitedly I placed my order with Amazon, however, in the last ten days they cancelled my order twice giving no reason :(. I ordered it through Amazon as the oven and delivery charge is a lot less then ordering direct from AJ.

The oven is £49.99 when ordered direct from AJ (£39.99 Amazon), and with a delivery charge of £24.90 takes it to £75. After conversion it works out a lot more expensive than Amazon at £56 (€71). . .

Then again some of the ovens are much more expensive with poor reviews, so I suppose if I really want this oven I'm going to have to pay the extra! Happy Halogen Cooking.

Advertisement