Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link homeplug kit from eircom €29

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

We have two house very close by each other and we just use the other house during the day as it is closer to the farm. the distance from the router to the other house is approx 200m. Would this device stretch the wifi that far?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Also what is the Ethernet speed like on these guys? I'm getting a fresh 120mbit line in and want to get the fastest speeds two floors above the router.

I'm skeptical of this 200mbit figure.

I find I only get a max of 30mb of the 97mb I'd get if I wired directly to the modem. I get around 20mb sometimes when I'm using the wifi from the plugs. They just haven't been a great success for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

So here's what I did. Plugged in the smaller receiver near my UPC router and connected it with an Ethernet cable. Plugged in the bigger one upstairs. After I paired them it boosted my WiFi but there was also a new unsecure network called tp link and some numbers.

I wanted to get rid of this so connected the larger one to my computer and managed to disable some SSID thing. Tried reading all the manuals while doing this but but I was getting more confused. Anybody know if I've done the right thing? I wanted to make my WiFi network stronger upstairs and I think I've managed it.

Here is a link to an article that helped me. The WPS button on side of my Technicolor modem didn't seem to do, but after hours of fluting around doing as this link suggests and then following the 'Unify & Extend Wifi Network via WiFi Clone buttons' from the quick install guide worked. I have 1 wireless network that is boosted with the TP link under the same SSID.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057172415

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Pythia wrote: »
    Thanks, I rang 6 shops earlier today. 3 did not have it (one had no idea what I was talking about) - Blackrock, Bray and Tallaght. 3 didn't answer after multiple calls- Dun Laoghaire, Liffey Valley and Crumlin.

I gave up and went to Harvey Norman Nutgrove where I bought this http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/av200-wireless-n-powerline-adapter.html

I got it for 49 which is the sale price. It appears to have gone back up now. We actually need one as we just moved house. It's a bungalow so the signal doesn't stretch all the way from one end to the other. I know it's almost double the price but it's set up and working now so at least it's sorted. Managed to manually clone the network as UPC box has no WPS button so I have one network all over.

Do you mind telling me how you did this or posting a link to instructions. I have an EIRCOM router with no WPS (Zyxel model # P660HN-T1A).
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Just a quick note to say these are still available and I picked up a set yesterday. great value!

• Advertisement

Are people finding these good for wifi speeds?

I find they actually kill my wifi, sometimes reducing speeds to .5mb. I bought a 14 euro wifi booster which does a much better job.

Are you mostly using these for wired connections or wifi connections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I find they actually kill my wifi, sometimes reducing speeds to .5mb. I bought a 14 euro wifi booster which does a much better job.

These exact model devices?

I'd be thinking what you had a bad experience with were WiFi extenders, they use wireless to connect and half the speed of your WiFi. These are homeplugs with wireless APs, they use homeplugs to connect to your existing router through ethernet therefore do not slow your original wireless down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Do you mind telling me how you did this or posting a link to instructions. I have an EIRCOM router with no WPS (Zyxel model # P660HN-T1A).
    Many thanks.

You just need to configure the homeplug on your laptop and set the ssid and the password to the same as your normal router.

These exact model devices?

I'd be thinking what you had a bad experience with were WiFi extenders, they use wireless to connect and half the speed of your WiFi. These are homeplugs with wireless APs, they use homeplugs to connect to your existing router through ethernet therefore do not slow your original wireless down.

Yes, these exact devices bought from Eircom. I even rang Eircom to ask them to look via teamviewer and see if I had them set up correctly and they checked and said everything is at it should be.
    I'm finding them good for wired connection but terrible/useless for wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Make sure that you put them on different channels or the channel overlap can cause reductions in speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

JanneG wrote: »
    Make sure that you put them on different channels or the channel overlap can cause reductions in speed.

What they said, put them on a channel well away from your original. Also, get a WiFi analyser app form your phone and check what channels are in use nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Anyone know if these homeplugs are available to buy in the eircom/meteor shops?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Anyone know if these homeplugs are available to buy in the eircom/meteor shops?

You will need to call your local shop to check if they have stock left, but we were able to buy them in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

That's great,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I see these are still on the Eircom site. Has anyone found them recently in a Meteor/Eircom shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

leck wrote: »
    I see these are still on the Eircom site. Has anyone found them recently in a Meteor/Eircom shop?

They were in the display case in the eMobile shop in Henry Street, Dublin, today but I have no idea what the price was - maybe give them a call before going in

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Hi guys I got one of these last year but could never get the clone to work. Now I'm with sky and still can't. It's give a different wifi with TP12345 which works great where the original wifi doesn't reach but I want the same throughout the apartment .

I'm following the instruction but this is driving me crazy!

And advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Hi guys I got one of these last year but could never get the clone to work. Now I'm with sky and still can't. It's give a different wifi with TP12345 which works great where the original wifi doesn't reach but I want the same throughout the apartment .

I'm following the instruction but this is driving me crazy!

And advice appreciated
    See posts 41, 42 and 43 for what worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Still no joy but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi. What I found was that it does not appear on your device as a new or extension signal. It is a range extender of existing signal, not a new relay as such.

It works for me, but only if when I change physical location, I see low signal strength, so turn device WiFi off and on and have full strength in new location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

I have these as well, upstairs and downstairs. Best I could do was to have two networks. One downstairs is UPC 123 and then upstairs when its plugged in is UPC 124.
    I have to manually change network when the other has a low signal. I take if from reading the rest of your comments that's the best I can do. I envisioned that it would give me a better signal on the same network upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Had trouble setting these up for someone as they had no WPS button on their router (I set them up in my house using the WPS button, no bother... make sure you are in range of the current wifi network if you are going down that route!).

To set them up manually, download this application and it will give you the extenders network details. It was pretty straight forward after that.

I think this is the software i downloaded. I can't remember for definite and I'm not at home so cannot check.
    http://www.tp-link.com/lk/support/download/?model=TL-PA211&version=V2#tbl_b

Direct link;
    http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/software/TL-PA211_V2.0_Utility.zip

My wifi swaps over after about 60 seconds of being in a low signal area. It's not instantaneous.

This might also help;
    http://www.tp-link.com/no/article/?id=398

Advertisement