Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link homeplug kit from eircom €29

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have the TP-Link Wired versions .... that's what I'm saying :)
    you were replying to someone explaining issues of potential wireless interference with the wireless extender that is included in the kit that is being discussed in this thread when you incorrectly stated that it is not wireless. what you have and what is being discussed are two different things. you were wrong, so give up trying to back peddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

vibe666 wrote: »
    you were replying to someone explaining issues of potential wireless interference with the wireless extender that is included in the kit that is being discussed in this thread when you incorrectly stated that it is not wireless. what you have and what is being discussed are two different things. you were wrong, so give up trying to back peddle.

No .. I have the TP Link Powerline adapters.
    The Powerline system gives off interference that creates problems with my Cideko wireless keyboard and my Wifi Cable modem.

I unplug the adapters and it works fine, I have the adapters plugged in and it causes intermittent high latency on the Wifi, or the keyboard doesn't function intermittently.

I've tried a Linksys PLTS200 and TP-Link homeplug and both of them create the same problem.

For the record I bought the TP-Link ones from Media-Markt
    http://www.mediamarkt.nl/mcs/product/TP-LINK-AV500-Mini-Powerline-Adapter-Startset,10259,482733,399697.html?langId=-11

The Powerline function works fine, its other wireless devices it can screw with since the Power cables are not shielded.

Not back tracking, just thought that it was obvious powerline technology is not that reliable when you are working with unshielded power cables in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

There is no model number or even brand shown on the Eircom page. Trying to match it on Amazon UK, but without model number it's difficult. Is it one of these two?

TP-Link TL-WPA281KIT V3 AV200 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender with 2 Ethernet Ports Starter Kit
    or
    TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Booster/Extender with Two LAN Ports Kit

EDITED TO ADD:
    I see Loyatemu already identified it as the WPA281KIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

So, as a technically challenged user, can someone confirm the following;

What this does is pass the signal from the router via network cable to one of the plugged in devices which in turn passes it through the electrical wiring to the second plugged in device which then broadcasts it as Wifi.

If the above is true, and to address concerns raised by others of interference from the wiring, I just got the house rewired so would I be OK?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

MICKEYG wrote: »
    So, as a technically challenged user, can someone confirm the following;

What this does is pass the signal from the router via network cable to one of the plugged in devices which in turn passes it through the electrical wiring to the second plugged in device which then broadcasts it as Wifi.

If the above is true, and to address concerns raised by others of interference from the wiring, I just got the house rewired so would I be OK?

Thanks.

For wired connection yes you are right, that's the way it works, you need to connect both the WPA211 to router and WPA281 any other plug in the house (once they are under the same board), then you connect your pc, laptop, etc to the WPA281 connection ports

I need to test mine but for wireless broadcast I think you only need to clone the Wifi from your modem/router (UPC in my case) to the WPA281.

EDIT: I just unpluged the WPA211, the WPA281 was still online and working over wifi and wired devices to it, so looks like it takes an access point over wifi or wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

nava wrote: »
    For wired connection yes you are right, that's the way it works, you need to connect both the WPA211 to router and WPA281 any other plug in the house (once they are under the same board), then you connect your pc, laptop, etc to the WPA281 connection ports

I need to test mine but for wireless broadcast I think you only need to clone the Wifi from your modem/router (UPC in my case) to the WPA281.

EDIT: I just unpluged the WPA211, the WPA281 was still online and working over wifi and wired devices to it, so looks like it takes an access point over wifi or wire.

Sorry, not sure I understand. I have a wireless router.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Sorry, not sure I understand. I have a wireless router.

It should be ok too, to clone it's better if the router supports WPS as the manual to clone is using the WPS button, in the full manual it might explain how to clone it if you do not have WPS button in your router.

What the cloning does is, takes all the settings from your router and saves it to the WPA281 so if you plug it upstairs in another room devices will logon using the same SSID and password as with the main router.

Manual should be online, it might explain it better.

I made the remark about the UPC as could be handy for other people to know it works with my UPC TC7200 modem/router.

I bought this yesterday at an Eircom store. Thanks to tatranska who mentioned that they sell both the kit (with two adapters) and also a similarly packaged single adapter, both priced at €29. I reserved over the phone but when I went to collect, they were going to give me the smaller box with one adapter. Luckily I had a printout from Amazon which showed the 281 kit so I got that one instead.

I live in an older house and while the wifi signal is good downstairs near the router, the signal is very poor in a couple of the upstairs bedrooms.

Now to setup ... the instructions that came in the box are minimal. They promise Plug and Play. I plugged the smaller adapter into a wall socket next to the router, then connected it to the router with the included ethernet cable. I plugged the larger adapter into an outlet in an upstairs bedroom. Now I can see TP-Link as a separate network but can't access it using my Sky password.

Next found this setup video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y9_WWATNuk. It seems that I have to set up a private network using the pair button? Just tried that but still see two networks - Sky and TP-Link. If paired successfully I presume I should just see the Sky network? Anyone else run into similar setup problems?

leck wrote: »
    Next found this setup video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y9_WWATNuk. It seems that I have to set up a private network using the pair button? Just tried that but still see two networks - Sky and TP-Link. If paired successfully I presume I should just see the Sky network? Anyone else run into similar setup problems?

Note that Pair is not the same as clone, maybe could be like me I say pair but meant to say clone.

Pair: is to join the adapters so they connect to each other, the should come already pair, you only need to pair if you get extra adapters.

Clone: Takes all the info from your router like SSID, password, etc and copies it to the WPA281.

Does the Sky router have the WPS button? it's what you need to do that, you need to follow from minute 1.20 in the video. To clone the router to the Kit it will be better if both are plug same plug or close, once it's clone you can move it. Does the Sky router have the WPS button? it's what you need to do that, you need to follow from minute 1.20 in the video.

nava wrote: »
    Note that Pair is not the same as clone, maybe could be like me I say pair but meant to say clone.

Pair: is to join the adapters so they connect to each other, the should come already pair, you only need to pair if you get extra adapters.

Clone: Takes all the info from your router like SSID, password, etc and copies it to the WPA281.

Does the Sky router have the WPS button? it's what you need to do that, you need to follow from minute 1.20 in the video. To clone the router to the Kit it will be better if both are plug same plug or close, once it's clone you can move it. Does the Sky router have the WPS button? it's what you need to do that, you need to follow from minute 1.20 in the video.
    Ah, yes I should have said clone.

Yes, Sky router does have a WPS button. Last attempt I had the two adapters in the same room but connected to different sockets. Now went through the procedure again with the two adapters plugged in side-by-side, then hit the WPS button briefly on the router and the Pair button on the larger adapter. The instructions show a Clone button on top of the larger adapter, but mine has no Clone button. It just has a Pair button on the bottom of the adapter and a reset notch.

If the adapters were successfully cloned to the router, would I still see TP-Link as a separate network, and if so would I need to log into that rather than the Sky network when using it upstairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

One of the lights on the front of the larger one is a button - you need to press the WPS button, hold down the "light" button til it starts flashing and then wait a minute. Then you should just see Sky.

Got these for my parents, so far so good.

Thanks OP

the_pod wrote: »
    One of the lights on the front of the larger one is a button - you need to press the WPS button, hold down the "light" button til it starts flashing and then wait a minute. Then you should just see Sky.

Got these for my parents, so far so good.

Thanks OP
    Thanks the_pod!

Ah, I never would have noticed that button, it blends in so well with the face. I followed your instructions and it seems to have worked in that I no longer see the TP-Link listed as a network, I only see Sky. I moved the larger adapter to the bedroom where there was a very poor signal and with my laptop the signal strength is gone from Good to Fair, but with my Google Nexus tablet it's still only Fair. Checked speed on laptop with Ookla with and without adapters and there's only a slight improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

You're welcome, glad it seems to have worked.
    My parents house is relatively new with good wiring so I don't know if that makes a difference. The router is at the front of the house and the TP-Link at the back. Haven't tried it upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I ordered the kit but got the single. Gave customer care / tech support a call and they are sending me out a kit free of charge. Told me to just hold on to the single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

This might be a cross thread but does anyone know if these would work with the eircom eVision homeplugs. They don't seem to have any make on them , just the eVision logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

beldin wrote: »
    This might be a cross thread but does anyone know if these would work with the eircom eVision homeplugs. They don't seem to have any make on them , just the eVision logo.
    The eVision ones are Devolo AV200 with pass through. The TL-WPA281 are also AV200, and thus there should be no problems with them seeing and connecting with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

leck wrote: »
    I bought this yesterday at an Eircom store.

Are Eircom stores the same as Emobile stores?

Pythia wrote: »
    I used this Eircom store locator to find an Eircom store near me. The one in Galway S.C. was branded Meteor, but I think some might be branded Emobile instead. There are plenty of stores to choose from, hopefully one not too far from you. Might be worth calling ahead to make sure they have the TP-Link kit in stock - Model No. TL-WP281KIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Picked up one in the omni, wasn't scanning so they scanned the single instead. 2 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Pythia wrote: »

I got mine in the eMobile store in Henry Street Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got mine in the eMobile store in Henry Street Dublin

Thanks, I rang 6 shops earlier today. 3 did not have it (one had no idea what I was talking about) - Blackrock, Bray and Tallaght. 3 didn't answer after multiple calls- Dun Laoghaire, Liffey Valley and Crumlin.

I gave up and went to Harvey Norman Nutgrove where I bought this http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/av200-wireless-n-powerline-adapter.html

I got it for 49 which is the sale price. It appears to have gone back up now. We actually need one as we just moved house. It's a bungalow so the signal doesn't stretch all the way from one end to the other. I know it's almost double the price but it's set up and working now so at least it's sorted. Managed to manually clone the network as UPC box has no WPS button so I have one network all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I got one in Dun Laoghaire yesterday. Looked like they have a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

dave_t wrote: »
    I got one in Dun Laoghaire yesterday. Looked like they have a few.

By one you mean a pair? Because they also sell a wireless repeater which is a single device, not this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

By one you mean a pair? Because they also sell a wireless repeater which is a single device, not this at all

Yes, I got the TL-WPA281 kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I think I got the last one in Ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

So here's what I did. Plugged in the smaller receiver near my UPC router and connected it with an Ethernet cable. Plugged in the bigger one upstairs. After I paired them it boosted my WiFi but there was also a new unsecure network called tp link and some numbers.

I wanted to get rid of this so connected the larger one to my computer and managed to disable some SSID thing. Tried reading all the manuals while doing this but but I was getting more confused. Anybody know if I've done the right thing? I wanted to make my WiFi network stronger upstairs and I think I've managed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

So here's what I did. Plugged in the smaller receiver near my UPC router and connected it with an Ethernet cable. Plugged in the bigger one upstairs. After I paired them it boosted my WiFi but there was also a new unsecure network called tp link and some numbers.

I wanted to get rid of this so connected the larger one to my computer and managed to disable some SSID thing. Tried reading all the manuals while doing this but but I was getting more confused. Anybody know if I've done the right thing? I wanted to make my WiFi network stronger upstairs and I think I've managed it.

I think you've done it wrong, see this post. Disabling the ssid is just hiding the network name
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91128583&postcount=42

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Zucker

How long did the kit take to get delivered for those that order through 1901.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Also what is the Ethernet speed like on these guys? I'm getting a fresh 120mbit line in and want to get the fastest speeds two floors above the router.

I'm skeptical of this 200mbit figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

We have two house very close by each other and we just use the other house during the day as it is closer to the farm. the distance from the router to the other house is approx 200m. Would this device stretch the wifi that far?

Advertisement