Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best chips in Tipp

• 17-04-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

A very important topic, this!

I nominate the chipper in Tipp Town that is just up from the small Cashel roundabout on the main street. Up until a few months ago it was in a blue and gold building, but they have moved next door since January. Delicious chips.

(Lyons in Clonmel = good but over-rated in my opinion).

I also have a soft spot for the Roma Cafe in Cahir, but that's probably only because it's my local ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Lyons Clonmel
    Arons in Carrick,some taco chips in there.
    The chipper in Clerahan is good also.
    stay clear of Luigis in the the M/S shopping center in Clonmel,awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mama's in Nenagh

Proper Italian chipper
    Lots of Italian soccer players on the wall and flags

Queues out the door at lunchtime with the students. Can't be beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

There a chipper in Borriskane that do a great Battered Suasage...!!!!

Helps keep you mind off the journey through Cloughan - Ferbane which must be the worst road in ireland! Keeps me going til Kilmartins in Athlone for a Coffee and petrol top-up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

Masala wrote: »
    There a chipper in Borriskane that do a great Battered Suasage...!!!!

Helps keep you mind off the journey through Cloughan - Ferbane which must be the worst road in ireland! Keeps me going til Kilmartins in Athlone for a Coffee and petrol top-up!!

Knowing the route well,you must love someone an awful lot to do that trek.

Oh sorry, +1 for the chipper in Ballyclerihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

tippspur wrote: »
    Arons in Carrick,some taco chips in there.
    stay clear of Luigis in the the M/S shopping center in Clonmel,awful stuff.

I wouldn't think much of Aarons chips, but their fish and wraps are the best.
    Robertos in Carrick do great chips and chicken

I agree with you on Luigis in Clonmel, total let down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Anyone fancy the chips out of the Emerald Garden in Clonmel (just the chips mind you)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Roma Café in Cahir

Lyons in Clonmel

Mayfair after a night out in Clonmel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Frydays in Nenagh
    McBurgers in Tipp Town
    Lyons in Clonmel
    one in clerihan nice too had a battered mars bar one day well half one could fell the arteries clogging haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another vote for Roma in Cahir here too :) I'm not there very often any more but really love it when I do get chips there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Can't remember the right name for it, but Enzo's in Cahir can have EXCELLENT chips, and then at other times, just OK chips. Pity it being so hit and miss.

The Roma; still don't go in there very often after that Pig that used to run it for years. I'd starve, rather than give him my money. I know he's gone a while now, but old habbits die hard. :)

On a side note, does anyone remember his sisters pizzaeria on Castle Streeet? Maria's Pizzaeria. Had really nice pizza's, but same attitude to the customers as her brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

+1 for the chipper in ballyclerihan. best chips around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

MonsterMob wrote: »
    +1 for the chipper in ballyclerihan. best chips around.

Is that place not closed now ?

Thought that the whole "shopping centre" (Spar shop etc) closed a few months ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Vizzy wrote: »
    Is that place not closed now ?

Thought that the whole "shopping centre" (Spar shop etc) closed a few months ago ?

no just the centra was closed, the owner of the building and the person running the centra fell out so I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

MonsterMob wrote: »
    no just the centra was closed, the owner of the building and the person running the centra fell out so I was told.

Good, good chips alright.
    BTW the 2 developers that bought/owned/developed the whole place fell out.
    I think that the guy in the Centra just couldn't afford the rent(or the increased rent) which was a shame cos it was badly needed in Clerihan.

Can't remember the right name for it, but Enzo's in Cahir can have EXCELLENT chips, and then at other times, just OK chips. Pity it being so hit and miss.

The Roma; still don't go in there very often after that Pig that used to run it for years. I'd starve, rather than give him my money. I know he's gone a while now, but old habbits die hard. :)

On a side note, does anyone remember his sisters pizzaeria on Castle Streeet? Maria's Pizzaeria. Had really nice pizza's, but same attitude to the customers as her brother.

Around what time was he there. . . . that post you made agitates me as I think I know him and he is a very nice man if it is who I'm certain it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

chipper on roundabout in tipp town 5 stars!!

golden kebab in golden, superbites in bansha

anybody in them places??

kebab zone in tipp town do one mean kebab!

callaway92 wrote: »
    Around what time was he there. . . . that post you made agitates me as I think I know him and he is a very nice man if it is who I'm certain it is....

I can tell you that the guy I'm talking about is not a nice man, never mind a very nice man. He was there for years. He owned the place I think. From the 80's through to the 90's he was the most arrogant, and ignorant PIG in the I've ever met. I personally know some people that worked there, and have the same thing to say about him. A lot of people worked there over the years, and I can't think of any that were like him. They were very pleasant. Maybe it's one of these you might be talking about.

He used never do pizzas, until when his sister open up her pizzeria, he started to do them. That's the kind of person he was.

I'm told he was eventually done for tax evasion, and I believe he's back in Italy now. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I can tell you that the guy I'm talking about is not a nice man, never mind a very nice man. He was there for years. He owned the place I think. From the 80's through to the 90's he was the most arrogant, and ignorant PIG in the I've ever met. I personally know some people that worked there, and have the same thing to say about him. A lot of people worked there over the years, and I can't think of any that were like him. They were very pleasant. Maybe it's one of these you might be talking about.

He used never do pizzas, until when his sister open up her pizzeria, he started to do them. That's the kind of person he was.

I'm told he was eventually done for tax evasion, and I believe he's back in Italy now. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ah ya, I know who your on about now..There have been 2 owners since him. Ya, you're right about the tax thing and yeah, the family is gone back to Italy!

There's been two owners since then? I never knew that.

There used to be a chipper in Tipp town called Sargent Peppers, I think, and it had great chips. They even opened a branch in Cahir for a short while, a long time ago now. Are they still there in Tipp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

There's been two owners since then? I never knew that.

There used to be a chipper in Tipp town called Sargent Peppers, I think, and it had great chips. They even opened a branch in Cahir for a short while, a long time ago now. Are they still there in Tipp?

They sure are, Down bridge street. Tasty pizzas there

• Advertisement

Nice one. Must pay them a visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

chicken fillet burger and farm house burger savage too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

+1 For Mama's in Nenagh - Best fast food in Nenagh by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

What's the name of that chipper that stays open til after 1am on the main street of Tipp Town? Has been used by me in the wee hours a few times. Often a rough crew hanging around outside though. Not bad as far as chippers go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Tremelo wrote: »
    What's the name of that chipper that stays open til after 1am on the main street of Tipp Town? Has been used by me in the wee hours a few times. Often a rough crew hanging around outside though. Not bad as far as chippers go.

McBurgers? Just at the traffic lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Parnell in Clonmel is mighty for chips or a battered sausage as well as the pizzas. Lyons is nice but overrated.

The Pike in Thurles aint too bad either but then again havent being near the place in about two years so dont know if its still the same.

Pepe's in Killenaule do a nice bag of chips.

That place in Clerihan is nice as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

marios across from tesco is best in nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

the chipper in clerihan puts the chips in a plastic container which turns them all soggy
    the roma in cahir has nice chips but it depends on who's serving. if the small ignorant man is in there it's not worth eating the chips because you will be so mad after the way he has treated you. the taller one of his sons is a very nice man.
    what about sparky's in fethard, easily the best chipper. freshly battered cod, lovely chips, nice service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

You're all wrong lads, bar one. frydays is the best chipper in nenagh - and honestly I wouldn't go into Mama's to even spend a penny.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.863165&mlon=-8.205328&zoom=18&layers=M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Mc Love wrote: »
    +1 For Mama's in Nenagh - Best fast food in Nenagh by a mile

great fresh cod and chips there!!

also Nino's in Templemore, who now do potato scallops, great garlic cheese chips and great fresh cod & chips.

I have lost so much weight from not eating there anymore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Got a bag of chips in Miss Elle's in Clonmel, this evening and have to say they disappointed. The place looks well since it was refurbished. I'll give them another shot, but if things aren't upto the mark of the other chippers in town the next time I won't be going back a third time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

If someone could define the perfect chip it might help.My suggestions:

a)NO FROZEN CHIPS! Freshly cut only.

b)Crisp on the outside,floury on the inside.

c)Served in a bag.Not in plastic or worse those McDonalds holders which are wide at the top and slender at the bottom and are deliberately designed to appear to be giving you more chips than you're actually getting.

d)Some crispy small bits at the bottom are allowed,indeed welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

archtech wrote: »
    Got a bag of chips in Miss Elle's in Clonmel, this evening and have to say they disappointed. The place looks well since it was refurbished. I'll give them another shot, but if things aren't upto the mark of the other chippers in town the next time I won't be going back a third time.

Pity, They used to be the best in Clonmel!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

For my local chipper, i'd have to say Genoa Takeaway (Enzo's) in Cahir. By far the nicest chips & pizza in town. In fact, think i might treat myself to something in a while :D

I'd also have to say the Parnell in clonmel, best Taco chip by far!

For my local chipper, i'd have to say Genoa Takeaway (Enzo's) in Cahir. By far the nicest chips & pizza in town. In fact, think i might treat myself to something in a while :D

I'd also have to say the Parnell in clonmel, best Taco chip by far!

Enzo's are ridiculously slow..with everything, from burgers to pizzas...

also, Galileo, more expensive or not, have the nicest pizzas by far :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

callaway92 wrote: »
    Enzo's are ridiculously slow..with everything, from burgers to pizzas...

also, Galileo, more expensive or not, have the nicest pizzas by far :eek:

I agree Enzos can be slow at times, but is usually worth the wait. Was down there earlier, got a curry chip and 1/4 pounder, had it in 5 minutes of ordering and it was busy enough inside there!

Fats in Carrick are popular too, but the long wait in there would just wreck your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Robertos in carrick, it's only open a few months but it's the only place I'll go now (not that I eat fast food often), besides fats but they aren't as nice as they used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

McBurgers is the best chipper in Tipp Town. Trust me, years of experience. Although I have not tried that Kebab place on the main street. Its not there too long though.

After that I am a big fan of Roma in the square in Thurles. That one in Cahir is nice too but cant think of the name of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

deejer wrote: »
    McBurgers is the best chipper in Tipp Town. Trust me, years of experience. Although I have not tried that Kebab place on the main street. Its not there too long though.

After that I am a big fan of Roma in the square in Thurles. That one in Cahir is nice too but cant think of the name of it.

Love McBurgers, would love a bag right now :(

There is a kebab house going into what used to be Nobel house saw it yesterday evening.

Is Roma the newest one in the square in Thurles? Love Mona Lisa chips in Thurles and the new place just down passed it on the way to Hayes is great can be slow but very tasty.

• Advertisement

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    Robertos in carrick, it's only open a few months but it's the only place I'll go now (not that I eat fast food often), besides fats but they aren't as nice as they used to be.

Haven't been in Fats in about 2 years, used to be a regular Friday night thing in this house but it just got ridiculous having to spend half the night standing there to get a bit of grub.

I <3 Robertos, fantastic food and good value for money. I got a dinner box there one day for €8 and it fed 4 of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

What street in Carrick is Robertos?

At the traffic lights, opposite the garda station/beside Xtra vision, green place.

Used to be The Far East restaurant last century :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Noel Drohans in Carrick when it was open was the nicest chipper in the area. No question. The chip wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Mona lisa in thurles never a let down either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Fats in Carrick get's my vote. Great chips and even better spudballs.

I used to go to the Mayfair a lot until Sparky left for Fethard so when in Clonmel I tend to go to the Parnell Grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Has to be Lyons' at the Cashel Rd roundabout. SAVAGE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Fast food place in Littleton...loadsa nice crispy bits at bottom of Bag!!

The pike in Thurles is hit and miss imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

- 10 ....I wont be going to the chipper in Ballyclerihan again.

I was charged at the counter, received the food, then when I left the premises , the manager came out to say that he had undercharged me. He asked for the full amount, which I reluctantly gave him, but I would not go there again,....even if it was the last takeaway on earth....Very bad customer service.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

G Luxel wrote: »
    - 10 ....I wont be going to the chipper in Ballyclerihan again.

I was charged at the counter, received the food, then when I left the premises , the manager came out to say that he had undercharged me. He asked for the full amount, which I reluctantly gave him, but I would not go there again,....even if it was the last takeaway on earth....Very bad customer service.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Undercharged by much? Did they have one of those signs saying "please check your change as mistakes cannot be rectified later"?

It does sound a bit mean if it was something like you got fish and chips and they only charged you for the fish but if it was a huge amount, like more than €10 or €20 I might understand

• Advertisement
Advertisement