Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Aldi argan oil brilliant!!at €4...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Layinghen wrote: »
    Are they in Aldi or Lidl Fussyonion?

Oh sorry, they're in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Excellent, know where I am going tomorrow:D:D:D

Picked up a tub of Lacura Coconut Body Butter in Aldi yesterday for €2.99.
    It looks very like the one in Boots, which is €11.99.
    It smells divine!

They also had Raspberry Body Butter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Aldi have discontinued their maple syrup, apparently.

Any tips on where else to get pure maple syrup at a good price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The fruit and vegetables in aldi are very poor quality. I usually end up throwing half of it out by Wednesday. Lidl's fruit and veg is excellent. Great quality and they sell seasonal produce.

Aldo's yoghurts are also terrible. They're either low fat and full of glucose fructose syrup or they've got excessive amounts of fat in them. At least lidl do the strawberry ones made for them by glenisk. I've got a baby and toddler so I have to go to a regular supermarket every so often to buy the glenisk kids yoghurt. The lidl/aldi fromage frais are very processed and have an artificial perfumed taste.

The Glenillen farm yogurts in aldi are made by Killowen Farm who in my opinion make the best yogurts in the country. They only use cows milk from their own dairy farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I love Aldi's pineapple cottage cheese and their French Vanilla Marble Brioche, very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

NOOOOoooooooo! Say it ain't so!
    Bang goes tasty porridge times. Maple Syrup everywhere else is at least twice the price. Haven't found it at a decent price anywhere else, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Swampy wrote: »
    The Glenillen farm yogurts in aldi are made by Killowen Farm who in my opinion make the best yogurts in the country. They only use cows milk from their own dairy farm.

Unless they have a product with a dangerously close spelling, Glenilen yoghurts are made by Alan & Valerie Kingston of Glenilen Farm in West cork ? although I wasn't aware they were in Aldi
    http://www.glenilenfarm.com/

If you spot a product that's gone missing for a while in Aldi, more than likely it will return but I'd put money on that it won't come back tasting the same.
    It's happened with their crackers/naan bread/biscuits/chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

fussyonion wrote: »
    If you spot a product that's gone missing for a while in Aldi, more than likely it will return but I'd put money on that it won't come back tasting the same.
    It's happened with their crackers/naan bread/biscuits/chocolate.

fussyonion, I hope you're right (that the maple syrup might come back, not that it won't taste the same).

I've also noticed that a variety of crackers they used to do seems to have been discontinued as well - they were a bit like Saltines or Jacob's Mediterraneo. Haven't seen them in weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone know why Tesco value oats are 3c more expensive than Tesco oats?
    And which own brand oats are best?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone know why Tesco value oats are 3c more expensive than Tesco oats?
    They are possibly price matching some other shop, and would not want to be seen to be price matching a "value" product, which other shops could say is unfair if they only have one version of the item.

The tesco caster sugar is still cheaper than the tesco value granulated sugar. And caster sugar is usually more expensive than granulated as there is more processing, and possibly economies of scale at play. I was told this cheap sugar was to price match lidl or aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Aldi Maple syrup is back! Woohoo!
    Think it's €3.99 now, which still compares favourably with other outlets, where I've seen similar looking bottles for €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aldi started doing lovely hummous there recently with 3 different flavours - original, carmelised onion and a gorgeous red pepper one - they were ridiculously cheap too. However, now they only stock the original one, any idea why they have discontinued the others?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 decco1981

The own brads are really good.
    Same for Supervalu - their own brand cereal is much nicer than the big brands.
    Think this is the way forward - locally sourced products at a fraction of the cost. A no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

leahyl wrote: »
    Aldi started doing lovely hummous there recently with 3 different flavours - original, carmelised onion and a gorgeous red pepper one - they were ridiculously cheap too. However, now they only stock the original one, any idea why they have discontinued the others?!!

I noticed that too, so annoying the red pepper one was spot on, loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Aldi Highland Black 8 year old is 18.49 compared with Jameson 25.00 euro standard price in most supermarkets. Highland black is smooth, a bit of spice good with coke perhaps closer to a cognac than a whiskey. If you want to save some money to my mind they are side by side in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

leahyl wrote: »

They are back !

170gm Vs 200gm for the standard ones

Now cost a few cents more than the standard ones

But, They are back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aldi mince pies. OMG! Absolutely gorgeous. This is coming from someone who doesn't 'like' mince pies. Obviously I just hadn't met the right ones before ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I don't know if anyone is a salted caramel fan, but i got these bad boys in aldi.. M&S do them for a few euros more but the aldi ones are nicer. I think they're €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't know if anyone is a salted caramel fan, but i got these bad boys in aldi.. M&S do them for a few euros more but the aldi ones are nicer. I think they're €5.

I've actually never tried salted caramel before, must give these a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I've actually never tried salted caramel before, must give these a try.

You won't regret it, trust me!! I was in today and I had to stop myself buying another box! Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I go to Aldi for greek yogurt, bratwurst, smoked ham, streaky bacon, harvest moon fruit and fibre cereal, strawberry jam, washing detergent, washing up liquid, the huge bottles of washing up liquid, frozen lemon cheese cake, moser roth chocolate, wine toro loco tempranillo especially, gin, whiskey, solesta extra virgin olive oil. I don't know a lot about the beer but all of the above is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

cloudatlas wrote: »
    wine toro loco tempranillo.

+ 1 on this wine, it lovely

I would also recommend the fresh Lemon Meringue Pie & Lemon Cheese cake, they are part of the specially selected range in the chilled cabinet. Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So I tried the Salted Caramels. Hmmmm, not sure. They are nice, but it's just a bit odd.

€5.99, so not cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Aldi mince pies. OMG! Absolutely gorgeous. This is coming from someone who doesn't 'like' mince pies. Obviously I just hadn't met the right ones before ;)

They're really good, but they're not as boozy as they used to be a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

There are some things that I find to be the best value in each of Aldi, Lidl and Tesco. I realise that it doesn't suit everyone to avail of all three outlets though. For wine I think that the best value is in Lidl (in a narrow enough range), but there would be a wider range of slightly less value wines in Tesco. Lidl also draws me in for its fresh-baked bread/cakes and its selection of chocolate. But some things I insist on being from Tesco, such as milk (because of price) and corn flakes and sandwich-pans (both because of preference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Eeden wrote: »
    They're really good, but they're not as boozy as they used to be a couple of years ago.

Ah, but that problem is easily solved by the addition of a large dollop of brandy cream ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No Mediterranean wraps on my local Aldi yesterday. Anyone see them around?
    I really, really hope these aren't gone!

Advertisement