Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

rubadub wrote: »
    I would be dubious of these too. In some chinese takeaways I see certs up on the wall saying some Irish supplier serves them their beef or chicken. This does not prove they buy ALL of that particular meat from them.

I'm not sure how you'd expect them to prove it. I could phone the butchers suppliers and double check with them that they do indeed supply the store, but genuinely I'm not that paranoid/interested! My taste buds report the meat is of a good quality and given my other reasons above re packaging, cuts etc, I just prefer the butchers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I got some running gear in LIDL this morning, nice quality stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I got a couple of Lidl's extending dog leashes. Wonderful quality and only around €7, better than the ones you buy in pet shops for €20. Pity they only do them once a year in March or April, usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Just tried the little expensive jars of Duneen yogurt in Aldi - delicious! Lovely sour yogurt like the yogurt in France!

I tried that once and found it very sugary. Much prefer the Glenilen pots which are made by a couple in Cork who I would trust.

In any case, the taste difference is huge.

pog it wrote: »
    I tried that once and found it very sugary. Much prefer the Glenilen pots which are made by a couple in Cork who I would trust.

In any case, the taste difference is huge.

Must try the Glenilen too, thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I honestly dont get the cult like devotion that a lot of people have to Aldi/Lidl.

We went into Lidl last night as we just needed a few vegetables and it happened to be across the road from where we had parked. When we were looking at the fresh veg none of the stuff we would usually buy was any cheaper and we found the selection was poor. Mostly packets and not as many loose veg. In particular we noticed the cauliflowers, oranges and grapefruits were all the same price as Superquinn. We would usually buy a single courgette, they only had packs of 2. No ripe avocados. No beansprouts. Not really any choice in tomatoes. I could go on.

I bought a bag of 5 grapefruits for 1.99, superquinn has a choice of different fruit/veg (including juicy grapefruits) 5 for €2. Plus I tried the Lidl grapefruits today and they were crap, weirdly dry so that when I was segmenting them they just fell to bits and disintegrated in my hands. Not much flavour either.

They also didn't have as varied choice of non dairy milks. I didn't see any qourn/own brand meat substitutes, but as I wasn't looking specifically for them so I could have missed them.

Perhaps if you are buying meat then you might save as it all seemed to be very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I honestly dont get the cult like devotion that a lot of people have to Aldi/Lidl.

We went into Lidl last night as we just needed a few vegetables and it happened to be across the road from where we had parked. When we were looking at the fresh veg none of the stuff we would usually buy was any cheaper and we found the selection was poor. Mostly packets and not as many loose veg. In particular we noticed the cauliflowers, oranges and grapefruits were all the same price as Superquinn. We would usually buy a single courgette, they only had packs of 2. No ripe avocados. No beansprouts. Not really any choice in tomatoes. I could go on.

I bought a bag of 5 grapefruits for 1.99, superquinn has a choice of different fruit/veg (including juicy grapefruits) 5 for €2. Plus I tried the Lidl grapefruits today and they were crap, weirdly dry so that when I was segmenting them they just fell to bits and disintegrated in my hands. Not much flavour either.

They also didn't have as varied choice of non dairy milks. I didn't see any qourn/own brand meat substitutes, but as I wasn't looking specifically for them so I could have missed them.

Perhaps if you are buying meat then you might save as it all seemed to be very cheap.

Aldi does a super six and most people are attracted to this for buying fruit and veg.
    You also went there at night time so this probably why the shelves were bare.
    Most value avocadoes are ripen at home avocados.
    Apart from the oranges, cauliflowers and grapefruits. I can think of loads of other veg that is cheaper at Lidl/Aldi than SuperValu.
    By the way superquinn is now SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have completely stopped buying veg from Aldi now.

Bought a bag of peppers last week..had actually been first veg purchase from Aldi in a long time because the veg always goes off.
    Brought the shopping home...three days later I open bag of peppers and viola,they're furry and gooey.

Why is the veg always on the turn in that feckin shop?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had the same thing with the bags of small green peppers, only one in the whole bag though. A shame as they're actually quite nice, certainly more 'peppery' than the larger ones you usually see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have completely stopped buying veg from Aldi now.

Bought a bag of peppers last week..had actually been first veg purchase from Aldi in a long time because the veg always goes off.
    Brought the shopping home...three days later I open bag of peppers and viola,they're furry and gooey.
    All you need to do is take them out of the bag to stop them sweating... In the words of a funny mongoose... "simples" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Aldi's Bombay Mix is delish.......no horrible raisins!;)

All you need to do is take them out of the bag to stop them sweating... In the words of a funny mongoose... "simples" :)

Nope, I do that with all peppers I buy. Only the Aldi peppers go furry quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

fussyonion wrote: »
    Nope, I do that with all peppers I buy. Only the Aldi peppers go furry quickly.

Put them in the fridge once home to keep better.
    If anything, stuff going off quicker may be a sign off less chemical chucked on them!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Put them in the fridge once home to keep better.
    If anything, stuff going off quicker may be a sign off less chemical chucked on them!

I always keep them in the fridge.
    My point is-it ONLY happens when I buy Aldi peppers
    It never happens with ones from Tesco and it's really irritating as I use a lot of peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The fruit and vegetables in aldi are very poor quality. I usually end up throwing half of it out by Wednesday. Lidl's fruit and veg is excellent. Great quality and they sell seasonal produce.

Aldo's yoghurts are also terrible. They're either low fat and full of glucose fructose syrup or they've got excessive amounts of fat in them. At least lidl do the strawberry ones made for them by glenisk. I've got a baby and toddler so I have to go to a regular supermarket every so often to buy the glenisk kids yoghurt. The lidl/aldi fromage frais are very processed and have an artificial perfumed taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭alwayswright

Any recommendations for hummus in either Lidl or Aldi?

Any recommendations for hummus in either Lidl or Aldi?

Lidl's is nice (kept under the salads in fridge), but homemade is too, and a lot cheaper: buy a tin of chickpeas, heat them up, drain and whizz with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, a bit of the liquor from the chickpeas, and whatever other flavouring you like - parsley, cayenne, cumin, whatever. Keeps in the fridge for about 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lidl's is nice (kept under the salads in fridge), but homemade is too, and a lot cheaper: buy a tin of chickpeas, heat them up, drain and whizz with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, a bit of the liquor from the chickpeas, and whatever other flavouring you like - parsley, cayenne, cumin, whatever. Keeps in the fridge for about 5 days.

No tahini? Sounds promising..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The fruit and vegetables in aldi are very poor quality. I usually end up throwing half of it out by Wednesday. Lidl's fruit and veg is excellent. Great quality and they sell seasonal produce.

I agree, lidl have such a wide range of different fruits and veg that you wouldn't get in Aldi either - I find Aldi is very uninspired lately in their super 6 - it feels like it's the same 6 every time or something!

Oh and also, which yogurts in Lidl are made by Glenisk??! I love Glenisk so if I thought I could get their yogurts cheaper I would!!

No tahini? Sounds promising..... :)

Ooops, and dark tahini!

• Advertisement

The strawberry yoghurts in green packaging and the large tubs of natural/strawberry yoghurt are glenisk. They sometimes have them side by side with glenisk so you can see the packaging is pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Similar packaging doesn't mean the same manufacturer - you need to check the manufacturer's code on the container.
    Not unknown for own brand stuff to imitate the packaging of brand leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

4umbrellas wrote: »
    you need to check the manufacturer's code on the container.
    Never heard this before, what do the codes look like?

Another trick is to compare the nutritional information, is it the same grams of protein/fat/carbs etc -however stuff like milk could be the same.

Lidl have their very nice olive oil at 40% off this week - it's €2 per 75cl bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pinky07

Aldi Carino shampoo & conditioner brilliant both the dry & damaged hair one and the coloured hair one find it works best leaving the conditioner in for a few mins it leaves my hair really soft & smooth def a lot softer than some of the more expensive brands!

4umbrellas wrote: »
    Similar packaging doesn't mean the same manufacturer - you need to check the manufacturer's code on the container.
    Not unknown for own brand stuff to imitate the packaging of brand leaders.

yes, you're right and if you check the manufacturers code you'll see that its glenisk.

Where is this code, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Aldi's Hot Cross Buns absolutely delicious. Wish Easter wasn't for another month so I could continue to feed my addiction to them :o

Chocolate covered coconut rings-€1.19, soft fluffy and ohmygod SO delicious.
    Go and try them.

I've seen Mrs Crimble's ones for almost €4 before now and these were the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Are they in Aldi or Lidl Fussyonion?

Advertisement