Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

scratch on the car

Options
  • 01-04-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Earlier today I parked my new car (2 weeks old) in a fairly busy carpark and came back later to see a scratch along one side. The car is a panther black so scratches show up easily. I think it was someone walking between the narrow gap and accidentally brushed up along the car with some metal buckle on a bag or something. Anyway I'd like to repair the scratch as it's annoying. I was looking at some needle pens in Halfords and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with repairing scratches, the scratch is about 30cm long but is very thin and I don't think it's gone through to the base layer.

Are the needle pens any good or are there other better products out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shaunie306

Pure muck avoid them, Speak to a detailer, if it isn't too deep they might be able to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

sorry Moderator, this thread should have been posted in the Car DIY forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any chance of a pic or two?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If the car is brand new, and it's not possible to polish it back. Do not attempt any DIY. I wouldn't attempt DIY body work repairs on a 10 year old car tbh.

Pics are definitely needed though.

Thanks guys. Here is a pic attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

hertz wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Here is a pic attached.

Can you feel the scratch at all with your nail?
    If you can then it won't be able to be compounded out (generally speaking). If you can feel it then clear coat will have to be added first.

yes I can feel the scratch if I run my finger nail over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Doesn't look accidental to me, would there be cctv in the carpark.

no cctv in the carpark, the space between the other car parked beside mine was pretty tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

a run of the DA may to able to tone that down a good bit.

• Advertisement

a run of the DA may to able to tone that down a good bit.

What does DA mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

If you're in Dublin,then it sounds like you need to give somebody like this lad a call;

http://www.carcosmetix.ie/ScratchRepair.html

I've never used them- in fact I only stumbled across their site when I did a search for sprayless scratch repair in Dublin.

I'm Galway based.
    If anyone knows of a similar place near Galway I'll give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

That scratch looks pretty nasty.

Judging by the picture, I'd guess that the scratch on the panel to the left, with a mahine polish, should be correctable. And perhaps then from the panel gap the first 1/3 of the scratch on that panel...then its looks to get pretty deep.
    Certainly a machine polish will take the harsh look off it, but I'd imagine it wont be fully correctable without some sort of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Car is black yeah? I'd hazard a guess that black paint pen and a good polish will sort it but chat to a pro first.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055378621

Thanks for the advice and feedback guys. Yes the car is black, shiny (is that panther black) ??
    I think I'll ring the Galway based autobody garages on the sub thread posted just there and get some advice.
    The car isn't brand new, its a few years old but new to me! If the scratch was lower down or in a less conspicuous place I wouldn't mind to much but in that position it'll annoy me I know over the next few years!!!!

Advertisement