Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car spray paint/bodywork garages

• 15-09-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭

Since I need some paintwork done on my car I'm trying to find places around Galway city that do this. The online goldenpages.ie only references a place out in tuam.

Before you ask, I did consider touching it up myself, but due the lacquer finish on the body and a overall amount of area to be done, I think it's best done by someone with the right equipment that can match the existing finish.

I'm sure there must be more places. Can anyone pass along a few names/locations of places that offer this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

There is a fella in Ballybane ind estate, Eddie I think cant remember his ph no. If you go into estate from the Tuam road and go towards farrell tyres and advance pit stop. Go stright on and you will see a yard in front off you he is first place on right. I found him to be good cheapest place by about 200 for me and a good finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Cosgroves in Tuam is probably your best bet, very reasonable and very good.

They do a lot of work for the dealer garages in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

I use N&N Autobody in Moycullen (turn left at the White Gables and got about 2 miles; it's on the left after a big space of nothingness). I don't have the number to hand, but I know if you search here you'll find it, or they're in the phonebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Thanks guy's.

Interestingly searching for Autobody turned up a decent number results online so I've been able to put together a list of places to checkout besides those listed. Don't know why I couldn't find them before.

List of places so far, if anyone has had any experience with any of the other places mentioned, would appreciate some info:

Name|Location|Number
    G&P Crash Repairs|Liosban Est.|091-756377
    Eddies|Ballybane Ind Est|no number found yet
    Galway Autobody|Ballybane Ind Est|091-753937
    Scratch Master|Ballybane Ind Est|091-758099
    Lowry Panel Beating|Tuam rd.|091-752163
    N&N Autobody| Moycullan| no number found yet
    Frank Byrnes Autobody Repairs| Oranmore| 091-388999
    Cosgroves ML| Tuam| 093-24171

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

N&N is 091-555201, highly recommend them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Frank Byrnes, first class work and a nice gent to deal with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Ya id recommend Frank Byrnes as well, really good to deal with. If you dont want to go that far then theres a place called Sasha Carpaint & Bodywork repair out on the tuam road, i just saw the sign this morning at the industrial estate opposite all the car garages after the roundabout, think its ballybrit industrial estate, where Kieran Farell tyres is anyway. Could be worth a try....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Oh btw isn't Frank Byrnes in Clarinbridge, not Oranmore?!

RyanAsh wrote: »
    Oh btw isn't Frank Byrnes in Clarinbridge, not Oranmore?!

Frank has moved to a new bigger workshop in Oranmore, ...I was in to them yesterday for a look, he's got some setup now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

dcukhunter wrote: »
    There is a fella in Ballybane ind estate, Eddie I think cant remember his ph no. If you go into estate from the Tuam road and go towards farrell tyres and advance pit stop. Go stright on and you will see a yard in front off you he is first place on right. I found him to be good cheapest place by about 200 for me and a good finish.

Turns out that it is actually Alex Lowry's Panel Beaters :)
    RyanAsh wrote: »
    Ya id recommend Frank Byrnes as well, really good to deal with. If you dont want to go that far then theres a place called Sasha Carpaint & Bodywork repair out on the tuam road, i just saw the sign this morning at the industrial estate opposite all the car garages after the roundabout, think its ballybrit industrial estate, where Kieran Farell tyres is anyway. Could be worth a try....

Found them as I was looking around. Not hugely impressed by how helpful the guy was. He wasn't bad, just that I'm not sure about all the options and what exactly will work out best, so would want someone that can discuss the various options and work through it with me. Unfortunately he seemed to be a guy that you need to know exactly what you want before going there. Probably not the best one to visit first, unless you are fairly well informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

Sorry to post here on an old thread but based on these recommendations I went to Frank Byrnes for a bumper respray which I thought is an easy job. Here is my experience with them:
    Got the bumper of the car myself took it to their garage last Monday (im based in Galway btw). I agreed on their price (which wasnt cheap I think) and they said the bumper will be ready the next day. I asked can you match the color that is already on the bumper? they said no problem. Got no calls on Tuesday so I called them on Wednesday, they said tomorrow you’ll have it for sure. No call on Thursday either, so Friday I call back and they said they can not find the color so, I gave them the code A34 (official Mitsubishi code). I get a call back saying that the code is wrong and I have to bring the car to them so they can see the color cause the bumper is primed now. I couldn’t drive the car without a bumper so they said bring the petrol flap which I did on Friday. They promised me it will be ready by that evening because i really needed over the weekend to fix it back. Call them at 4 pm again to confirm, they said it will be ready at 6. called at 6 no one answered.
    You can imagine I was very upset with them. On Monday I call them again and gave them the Mitsubishi part no for the paint so they can check it with the dealer. They promised to call back but again they never did so yesterday I decided to go to them and get the bumper back to take it to another body shop. On my way over there I stopped at Calbro and asked: do you by any chance have a34 paint? their answer: yes its silver isnt it?
    So I bought the paint myself drove to Oranmore and they said it will be ready for 5 o'clock. I drove there again at 5.30 waited till 6 and finally got my bumper back. And their work is far from perfect, they left some weird paint marks on the bumper. At the end I paid what we agreed minus the paint which I paid myself and thats my experience with Frank Byrnes. Needless to say I wont go there again.
    So stop recommending them if you dont have a real experience dealing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

So they gave you the run around for a week and then did a crap job...and you still paid them? You might have been better off giving them a bollocking and refuse to pay. They might think twice about screwing the next guy.

So stop recommending them if you dont have a real experience dealing with them.

Any work Frank has done for me has always been first class,(and I'm fussy) I'm surprised by the way you were treated..

I wouldnt say thier work is crap, but I can see many imperfections and I really am not a fussy person. But the way their threat their customers (or at least me) its crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

would stay away from frank byrnes. I rang asking for opening hours to call out, french girl on phone said call out anytime but never mentioned they have moved location the day before from clarinbridge to oranmore...found out from some guy in the ind estate in Clarinbrdge. eventually found them in oranmore for quote, next day got call literally trying to force me to get job done with them cos they had ordered the parts even though id only rang for quote. ended up doing job in G&P Crash Repairs...was pleased with work and price

Just an quick update on this:
    Got a call today from Frank to apologize for the way I was treated and for the fact that I wasn’t happy with their work. He offered to repaint the bumper for free if I want to. Unfortunately I have bigger problems with my car now than the condition of my bumper.
    Anyway fair play to him for calling and apologize and for the repainting offer, not many people will do that. Too bad for the service I was given by the guy who I dealt with in there.
    It was just fair to mention this here as Frank seems like a sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Just for future reference if anyone is looking to get bodywork done in Galway... I had to get a dent in my front wing fixed this week and I went to Westwide in Ballybane. Couldn't speak highly enough of them. They told me it would cost around €300 but when I went to pay it was only €250, they dropped me back to work, collected me when the job was done and the car was cleaned inside and out when I got it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

ya. had stuff done in westside too. very good service. really nice too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Barna09

Hey All

Looking for a bit of advice. What would it cost to spray a 5 inch scratch on a bumper. I had the car on loan and want to get it sorted before the owner returns from holidays. Help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It would depend on the depth of the scratch and how well you need it hid.
    Also on the colour code.

The painter may have to spray the entire bumper to make the scratch invisible, this would entail removing the bumper and putting it back after.

With so many question marks you'd better bring the car into a shop and have them look at it and quote you there and then.

Try ringing the shops mentioned in this thread and maybe call out to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

hi

There is a really good spray painter in Athenry - Johnny Kelly is his name - www.athenrycrashrepairs.com

J

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement