Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom FM no more

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

There are a few reasons. Firstly, it is the end of the Phantom brand which has been around since 1997 as a pirate. It has been around fully licensed since 2006. Secondly, most of the staff (broadcasting and others) have been let go. Between these two factors, it is like the end of something.... the spirit of Phantom you might say.

Of course, there are some who have mistakenly and very understandably thought the station as such had completely closed down. There are others like yourself surprised to discover that there are people presenting on 105.2 during this bizarre transition before the re-launch as TX FM.

Firstly, I completely understand the legacy that has been left, and how symbolic it was. I remember the early days, when it formed into Phantom, when it got the weekend licences, along with the optimism, enthusiasm, and dedication. I remember the dropping off of the licence application to the BCI on the Ghost Bus. I remember the lovely, but at times sad, introduction to the station when they went live at midnight on Halloween. I remember it all. Heck, I've even the big printed copy of the licence in the cupboard next to me. The spirit has been removed.

However, I assumed that there would be no presenters between now and the relaunch. It's a strange period where listeners won't understand where they are. The advertisers will be confused. A station without a name, playing music with the odd presenter. A website that is outdated. Streaming which only works from aforementioned out of date website. It's a bizarre scenario. Handled badly, mind you. They're doing the wrong thing keeping presenters going at the moment. I'm totally against the loss of the staff's jobs (there was some real talent in the organisation, and particularly in the past), but it's crazy to have people covering a radio station without a name, radio bulletins for a station which have already been pardoned by the BAI, and to listeners who miss the old ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Phantom kept me company for so long, discovering then as a pirate, getting behind them as they went for a legal frequency, riding the rollercoaster until they got it, then the great years of music after that, and now gone.
    Today Fm is like the babyfood of broadcasting, easy to digest, no effort radio, and now we're to be treated to a "yooff" version, gods help us all.
    I expect Tom Dunne to move from Newstalk back to a daytime show now on the new station though, and I have to agree Joe Donnelly is not half as amusing as he thinks he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I heard Richie McCormacks voice on an ad on 105.2FM this morning and it completely freaked me out. Seems a bit unfair to use it because if his person is no longer required for the station surely his voice would be too....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

marwelie wrote: »
    I heard Richie McCormacks voice on an ad on 105.2FM this morning and it completely freaked me out. Seems a bit unfair to use it because if his person is no longer required for the station surely his voice would be too....

Well, the Herald pay for ads and throw a few bob towards Richie. He can't exactly dictate what stations to play it on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Gossip on the street is that the new PD is from Today FM and that they are hiring presenters so it seems they will be more than the 3 presenters that survived the culling and perhaps robojock will not be kicking in at 7pm each night and the weekends.

I presume the BAI wouldn't (rightly) allow them go back to back music for 2 weeks and hence the caretaker jocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Unbelievable that they're hiring new staff just after sacking pretty much everyone.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Black Lighter

Gimp Colm O'sullivan is pd of TXFM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

TBH I stopped listening shortly after they got licensed. If the music managed to go even more mainstream recently than it became when that happened it must have been real chart fodder.
    Pity, they were the first FM station I ever actually liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Gimp Colm O'sullivan is pd of TXFM

Colm O Sullivan was just appointed assistant PD for Today FM, I dont see why they would announce and not mention anything about TXFM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't think Phantom was ever like that. I'm guessing you didn't listen.

No-one would argue with that, it's a commercial enterprise. I think what most people objected to was the fact that, when audience figures weren't good enough, they changed the format. But when figures kept falling, they just ploughed on in the same vein and digging themselves deeper into the same hole. So they lost their loyal listeners and gained no new ones. If you ever heard the Joe & Keith breakfast show, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Only an occasional listener to be honest.

The 'forced hipsterism' vibe did not really mix with my 'young fogie' vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭FledNanders

This 105.2 semi-ghost station seems awfully weird and unsettling. No interaction with listeners, presenters only in for certain periods yet they still have news (the odd time) and ads. It's like being in radio purgatory.

Also, the playlist seems to only have about 20 songs on it - mostly Muse and LCD Soundsystem.

This 105.2 semi-ghost station seems awfully weird and unsettling. No interaction with listeners, presenters only in for certain periods yet they still have news (the odd time) and ads. It's like being in radio purgatory.

Also, the playlist seems to only have about 20 songs on it - mostly Muse and LCD Soundsystem.

We only have to wait until Monday morning.

https://twitter.com/TXFMDublin

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That logo looks terrible. Well, I suppose there is no budget, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Anyone else having trouble with the live player on the pantom website? It was working on Tuesday, but nothing yesterday and today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Anyone else having trouble with the live player on the pantom website? It was working on Tuesday, but nothing yesterday and today.

Stream is gone from TuneIn radio app too.

Advertisement