Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor Student mobile broadband deals

• 28-09-2014 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been post but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Student can currently avail of half price packages with meteor for mobile broadband.

- 25GB of data per month.
    - Access to the 4G network.
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €19.99 NOW €9.99

- 50GB of data per month
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €39.98 NOW €19.99

Link - campus.ie/meteor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Apologies if this has been post but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Student can currently avail of half price packages with meteor for mobile broadband.

- 25GB of data per month.
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €19.99 NOW €9.99

- 50GB of data per month
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €39.98 NOW €19.99

Link - campus.ie/meteor

How easy/difficult would it be for a non/former-student to get this deal does anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How easy/difficult would it be for a non/former-student to get this deal does anybody know?

This.
    CampusConnect is a service provided by HEAnet and Campus.ie that verifies your academic status and allows you to access the biggest student-only discounts and deals, as well as student-exclusive content. When you click on ‘Authenticate me’ you will be brought to your college website. Log in and confirm that you are a student. After you successfully log in, you will be brought back to Campus.ie, to continue your purchase. In this secure environment, you will be asked to enter your normal college network login details. If these are correct, we receive a notification that you a genuine student. This only needs to be done once each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When I took a quick look, it seemed to be for graduates and academics as well?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

Esel wrote: »

Yes I'm a graduate and I was able to log in through the campus.ie page, done it there just to see. I think this offer used to be provided by O2, Meteor must have outbidded them at contract renewal time or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Do Meteor allow/tolerate tethering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I am deferring the next year anyone know if I could still sign up?

I am deferring the next year anyone know if I could still sign up?
    Totally uninformed guess here...

Yes, more than likely.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Do they offer student 4g for payg customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

I'm on their €30 PAYG offer and I can tether without any issues

No luck I'm afraid, any UL or LIT graduates manage to get it? (I'm a graduate of both)

• Advertisement

this is a data mobile broadband deal / sim so you can use it in a dongle or mifi device so tethering is not an issue. it's not a calls + data thing, data only.

http://meteor.ie/student/

mind you I have a 3G meteor deal and the download speeds are rubbish 10am to 10pm, not sure if the same congestion is on 4g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Works for 2nd / 1st level teachers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

glasso wrote: »
    this is a data mobile broadband deal / sim so you can use it in a dongle or mifi device so tethering is not an issue. it's not a calls + data thing, data only.

mind you I have a 3G meteor deal and the download speeds are rubbish 10am to 10pm, not sure if the same congestion is on 4g.

Only had it a few days and been picking up strong 4G signal with no congestion problem. Maxing out the speed with no issues.

You can pick a number of devices with the offer. For anyone who goes for the Huawei E5372. I found the range on it not to be great but you can change the setting via the router page from 20M to 40M in the advanced settings which helped significantly.

As others have pointed out in the thread the offer is also available for teachers/lectures. Maybe a mod can update the OP as I can't edit as a new user.

Is this a payg mobile phone deal?

Is this a payg mobile phone deal?

Sim only - 30 day contract
    With one of the devices - 6 month contract

Sim only - 30 day contract
    With one of the devices - 6 month contract

Sim only so if i buy a new payg sim ill have that deal for the remainder of my college days?

Sim only so if i buy a new payg sim ill have that deal for the remainder of my college days?

I'm pretty sure that a sim only 30 day rolling contract and payg aren't strictly the same thing. You'll still need to jump through all the hoops of getting a bill contract (proof of address/ID etc) just without being tied to any fixed length.

On the second point I think they look to validate it once a year so yes as long as you are still in college you can continue to avail of this offer. That though isn't really an issue as I expect the price of mobile broad packages to come down and the data caps to go up over the next year so by the time you can't avail of this offer I'd say you'll be able to find an operator doing mobile broadband with an unlimited cap for a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

That though isn't really an issue as I expect the price of mobile broad packages to come down and the data caps to go up over the next year so by the time you can't avail of this offer I'd say you'll be able to find an operator doing mobile broadband with an unlimited cap for a decent price.

It's unbelievable there isn't a unlimited (or even a 50GB+!) download PAYG broadband service currently availability from any of the operators.

It's unbelievable there isn't a unlimited (or even a 50GB+!) download PAYG broadband service currently availability from any of the operators.

it's very understandable. capacity is limited on mobile networks whereas this is not an issue as much for fixed line. the MNO's don't want torrenters dragging down the quality of service for actual profitable customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It is only designed for light use, it is not even broadband in a real sense but is Midband. with proper broadband as users log on to the service there is a neglible drop in speeds but when users log on to Midband the service speeds drop by huge amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

glasso wrote: »
    it's very understandable. capacity is limited on mobile networks whereas this is not an issue as much for fixed line. the MNO's don't want torrenters dragging down the quality of service for actual profitable customers.

Even if you don't torrent 50 gb/month is still relatively small for heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Im currently a meteor mobile broadband customer and due to abysmal speeds (averaging 0.7Mb) in the last 2 months and meteor claiming there is nothing wrong with there network I have cancel my account and been looking around at my options.
    From reading forums on boards three's 20 euros payg option looks good, 4G all you can eat data, unlimited any network texts and unlimited any network weekend calls and you still have the 20 euros to spend.

http://www.three.ie/shop/sim-only-plans/prepay-sim-only/

There is a FUP of 15Gb but again reading around there are people who have downloaded 100s of Gbs per month with no consequence and they all seem to be getting good speeds.

"Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a 30 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service."

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/prepay-price-plan-terms-conditions/#20topup

They may limit your service ie throttle you, were as with meteor they will charge you through the nose.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057294845

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057297027

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057296692

Automan wrote: »
    Im currently a meteor mobile broadband customer and due to abysmal speeds (averaging 0.7Mb) in the last 2 months and meteor claiming there is nothing wrong with there network I have cancel my account and been looking around at my options.
    From reading forums on boards three's 20 euros payg option looks good, 4G all you can eat data, unlimited any network texts and unlimited any network weekend calls and you still have the 20 euros to spend.

http://www.three.ie/shop/sim-only-plans/prepay-sim-only/

There is a FUP of 15Gb but again reading around there are people who have downloaded 100s of Gbs per month with no consequence and they all seem to be getting good speeds.

"Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a 30 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service."

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/prepay-price-plan-terms-conditions/#20topup

They may limit your service ie throttle you, were as with meteor they will charge you through the nose.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057294845

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057297027

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057296692

That would be a phone plan, not a broadband one! Chances are these sims won't work in a mobile broadband dongle/router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Automan wrote: »

Can I pop a three SIM from that plan into my huawei mobile broadband WiFi device? Is tethering frowned upon or outright not possible?

Can I pop a three SIM from that plan into my huawei mobile broadband WiFi device? Is tethering frowned upon or outright not possible?

Wasn't possible for me a few months ago, was using a 3 branded router, a dongle worked alright for me though using the same SIM card and tethering on my phone works fine for me also, though that's probably because I don't take the piss with it

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭ggmad

Does anyone know if this works well with the Huawei 4G E3272 Stick?

ggmad wrote: »

The meteor deal? Should do...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

That would be a phone plan, not a broadband one! Chances are these sims won't work in a mobile broadband dongle/router

Im not sure if it will either as im using a mobile phone tethered to my laptop with my broadband sim from meteor, only way to know is to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭ggmad

The meteor deal? Should do...

Well yes it should work with it as you can sign up to the plan with this device, but I'm asking for peoples experience in using this device with the 4G meteor plan

That is the exact stick they offer with the deal for free if you go with the 6 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Well yes it should work with it as you can sign up to the plan with this device, but I'm asking for peoples experience in using this device with the 4G meteor plan

like all things wireless it depends on coverage, signal strength and quality. By its nature a dongle means you are more likely to have it plugged directly into your laptop and use it in different locations. If this is the case performance between two location, even at the same address, can be radically different.
    You are more likely to put a router option in the place with best signal and leave it there. Dedicated routers also tend to have better speeds.

This dongle can however be be used with some routers to share the connection.

Have a look in the Midband forum for more specific info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Meteor: Adam

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a quick post here.

As you know our new student offer provides exclusive Mobile Broadband (MBB) and SIM Only offers to 3rd level students and staff, as well as secondary level school teachers. Here's a link to our website where you can see the plans we have to choose from. As one of the users posted here you have the choice of either a SIM-only plan (30 day contract, no device provided) or a 6 month contract with a free device. The link will go into more detail in terms of data allowances and available devices.

CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link. Just bear in mind that you'll need your student ID handy.

A couple of other queries I noticed here, answered:

This is a MBB offer only guys, this SIM will not work in your phone. Same goes for a MBB SIM, you won't be able to use it in a phone.

Yes, you certainly can use your mobile internet to tether on other devices (providing your phone is capable of course). Just be sure to check your balance regularly so you don't go over your allowance - Text Balance data to 50104.

@RobbingBandit - I'm not entirely sure about signing up if you've deferred/deffering a year. I'll chase that up here and get back to you as soon as I've an update.

@colmtheperson - Did you manage to get an answer? If not drop me a PM and I'll check that out for you.

Have a great weekend everyone! :D

-Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I wonder how the network will know whether it's a phone or a modem is the simcard in? It won't! MBB sim works in the phone but only for data no voice enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thanks for the reply on my query, as I am now unable to log into the University database I am unsure I would qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thanks for the reply on my query, as I am now unable to log into the University database I am unsure I would qualify.

If you have a student I'd you can go in-store and get one. Got one myself the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Amlee

Hi would this be good for household broadband ? Two phones ipad and laptop connected to the router? Basic browsing and maybe watch a few things online 3 player etc thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Amlee wrote: »
    Hi would this be good for household broadband ? Two phones ipad and laptop connected to the router? Basic browsing and maybe watch a few things online 3 player etc thanks

If you can get 4g reception it wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

When you say graduates, is there a limit as to how far back one graduated? I am a NUIG graduate if that makes any difference.

CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link. Just bear in mind that you'll need your student ID handy.

-Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

leftfooter wrote: »
    When you say graduates, is there a limit as to how far back one graduated? I am a NUIG graduate if that makes any difference.

reading the terms you need a student card from 2013/14 or 14/15

• Advertisement

doc11 wrote: »
    reading the terms you need a student card from 2013/14 or 14/15
    I have not read the T&Cs, but maybe what you said just applies to current students? I thought that graduates (among others) were also eligible. :confused:

Not your ornery onager

I have not read the T&Cs, but maybe what you said just applies to current students? I thought that graduates (among others) were also eligible. :confused:

2013/14 would be classed as graduates and 14/15 as current students.

2013/14 would be classed as graduates and 14/15 as current students or perhaps they mean post grad students.

Price Plan Rules
    Eligibility: To be eligible for the HEAnet Broadband Price Plan you must
    be a full or part time student (undergraduate, post graduate and research student) in a HEAnet client institution, or,
    a full or part time staff member in a HEAnet clients institution, and
    be over 18 years of age.
    The HEAnet client institutions are published on . All eligible customers must show student or staff ID for either the 2013/2014 or 2014/2015 academic year. Existing Meteor Broadband customers must complete their existing contract term to avail of the HEAnet Price Plan.

doc11 wrote: »
    2013/14 would be classed as graduates and 14/15 as current students.
    A Meteor rep said above that:

"CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link."

Edit: Also said: "As you know our new student offer provides exclusive Mobile Broadband (MBB) and SIM Only offers to 3rd level students and staff, as well as secondary level school teachers."

Why include just 'secondary level school teachers' and not other graduates, I wonder?

There must be some business reason, but I can't see it.

If you have a product - maximise the customer base.

Not your ornery onager

That isn't though what they're trying to do here? The offer would be open to anyone if they wanted to maximise the customer base?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

A Meteor rep said above that:

"CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link."

Edit: Also said: "As you know our new student offer provides exclusive Mobile Broadband (MBB) and SIM Only offers to 3rd level students and staff, as well as secondary level school teachers."

Why include just 'secondary level school teachers' and not other graduates, I wonder?

There must be some business reason, but I can't see it.

The HEA are ultimately behind this offer, they are probably subsidising its cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I am an existing sim only 30 day contract and I contacted Meteor and it is not available to existing customers.:(

dingding wrote: »
    I am an existing sim only 30 day contract and I contacted Meteor and it is not available to existing customers.:(

Have you read the last two posts in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I meet the other qualifying terms of the offer. I have a login for a third level institution and I can authenticate myself for the offer.

dingding wrote: »
    I meet the other qualifying terms of the offer. I have a login for a third level institution and I can authenticate myself for the offer.

Have you tried signing up? After using the authenticate process I used it to sign up under someone else's name who had an existing contract and it worked fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement