Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution for Darndale??...or other undesirables?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

Improved town planning. A reduction in the volume of homes built per area.
    Dublin already has a very low population density so compared to other major European cities so this wouldn't help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Dublin already has a very low population density so compared to other major European cities so this wouldn't help at all.
    But how does its crime rate stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

Go, Move, Shift. (but this is only on the Live at the Point recording from '94)

Mary Joyce was living at the side of the road
    No halting place and no fixed abode.
    The vigilantes came to the Darndale site
    And they shot her son in the middle of the night

Christy Moore. What a plonker. I wonder if he'd champion the traveller cause if a load of them camped in his garden for a few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Christy Moore. What a plonker. I wonder if he'd champion the traveller cause if a load of them camped in his garden for a few weeks...

You might want to read his biography before you make statements like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

You know what amazes me most about places like Darndale is the total lack of responability from the people in those communities. Everyone else is to blame. The government,the council,the developers,the guards,the bankers etc...Go into any average council estate and see the kids running wild until 10pm and later on school nights (not teenagers but childern). Get your kids into bed early and let them get a good nights sleep before school ffs. Here's another tip for the layabouts who inhabit these places. Pick up your rubbish outside your house and look after the general apperance of your community. Look at Ballymun for example. They went on for donkeys years about the flats and where given brand new houses and townhouses at the tax payers expense and yet now a couple of years later the place is peppered with burnt out cars and rubbish.:mad:

These people hold the solution in their own hands they just are to lazy or ignorant to act upon it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

The reason places like Darndale get like that is simple city planning. Look at the area in itself. It's a tiny little corner that's tucked away from everywhere. There are no main roads going through, no business and no reason at all for anyone who doesn't live there to venture through. Just a group of houses looking at each other, shoved away in the corner, hidden from the outside world. As such, the kids in the area seldom have to deal with outsiders from the rest of the world. So they play with other kids from the area all day. When kids play with kids away from the overseeing eyes of the adults, there is no law. When there is other human traffic, parents make sure that their kids are well behaved. But when the only people who see your kids are your neighbours (whom you're probably relatively close with being that it's such a small locale), they become like family and, as such, you don't keep the kids on such a tight leash.

I see what you mean, I've been living not far from Darndale for a number of years now but I don't think it's all down to city planning, it can't be. I was raised in rural Ireland. My house was really tucked away with no main routes going through-in fact we had no real facilaties whatsoever. Tbh I rarely had to deal with people from outside my school/family/small group of friends which were all located in my isolated area. My parents seldom were able to keep a watchful eye over myself and my friends if we wandered off somewhere (which was almost every day afer school), yet I-or any of my friends for that matter-didn't turn out as a scumbag. Equally not everyone in our group had parents who were well educated/employed just to add to the point. But it didn't turn us into scumbags, bar the odd shenanigans we were pretty well behaved.

I think city planning does have a part to play, sure, but it isn't the be all end all attached to this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

the wrong type of tenant, ie Lower Economic social classes.

Arent the Lower orders just frightfully dreadful...........

Mister men wrote: »
    Everyone else is to blame. The government,the council,the developers,the guards,the bankers etc...

These people hold the solution in their own hands they just are to lazy or ignorant to act upon it.

<<Paraphrasing your quote here>>

Isn't this what the post-Tiger Ireland has become ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

<<Paraphrasing your quote here>>

Isn't this what the post-Tiger Ireland has become ?
    Nice play on my post

• Advertisement

Mister men wrote: »
    Nice play on my post

They were the points that jumped out at me the most.

Thanks for doing all of the work for me. lol

Advertisement