Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italians moving to Ireland. Why?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Now, I love Ireland. It suits my pasty white complexion and fierce appetite for bad health. But do these gorgeous Italian girls move from such a beautiful country to Ireland (equally also a beautiful country).. to serve chips to drunken Irish slobs who have just fell off their barstool? (not that I'm complaining).

It sure isn't for our weather, or our dashing good looks! Or our economy.. My local chipper has at least 3 Italian hotties working there.

Someone, explain. Preferably Italian. What's going on? It would be like me, moving to Poland building houses for the Polish. It just doesn't add up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Italy is one of the lowest paid countries in the EU so they have to come here to make good money.
    I have never saw beautiful women in my local chipper but must be location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Well AFAIK southern Italy has always been a fairly undeveloped area economically, with lots of poverty. And for the last 15 years or so Ireland has been doing very well for itself and has made a name internationally, so maybe they're still going on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They're putting together files on Trap's army for the upcoming qualifiers. The drunken barstoolers in the chipper are a great source for tactical information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

High unemployment rate and actually there isn't even a minimum wage there.
    Ireland is as a good a place as any to relocate to.

And if you think Irish politicians are corrupt, you'd want to see the Italians! Hey, one thing Ireland has is stable governments.

Italy, great country and people but many poor areas and many politicians who can't/won't improve the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

Ahh, that is fecked up.. It's a fecked up world we live in. Our chippers are now being spoilt. Italians are only good at making spaghetti and pastas - it's insanity! Blasphemy! I wouldn;t eat those chips if they were free.
    The horror of it.

• Advertisement

Four-Too wrote: »
    Ahh, that is fecked up.. It's a fecked up world we live in. Our chippers are now being spoilt. Italians are only good at making spaghetti and pastas - it's insanity! Blasphemy! I wouldn;t eat those chips if they were free.
    The horror of it.

What are you crappin on about? All the nicest chippers are Italian, and have been for donkey's. Macari's and Romayo's to name just two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Lots of sellers on e-bay won't post to Italy. I know someone who regularly sent packages to Italy that never arrived. Hand-delivers them now.

Mafia control rubbish collection in Naples.

Just two instances of how the country is corrupt from top to bottom. Beautiful place but it's a ****-hole in all other respects.

Vote Yes to Lisbon, trust our European elite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

dresden8 wrote: »
    Lots of sellers on e-bay won't post to Italy. I know someone who regularly sent packages to Italy that never arrived. Hand-delivers them now.

Mafia control rubbish collection in Naples.

Just two instances of how the country is corrupt from top to bottom. Beautiful place but it's a ****-hole in all other respects.

Vote Yes to Lisbon, trust our European elite!
    Italy aren't our European elite,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The horror of it.

The nicest food come from them IMO. Local chipper makes the tastiest taco chip around (and they give you the most in it too). This chipper has been here about 20 years, owned by the same people from day 1. they must be doing something right.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What are you crappin on about? All the nicest chippers are Italian, and have been for donkey's. Macari's and Romayo's to name just two.

You call that English?
    Who tha fook is Macari? And I thought Romayo was a footballer. :confused:

• Advertisement

You call that English?

Wtf would you call it?
    Who tha fook is Macari? And I thought Romayo was a footballer. :confused:

You're obviously an amateur on the chipper circuit so. There's more to life than Abra and Supermacs.

dlofnep wrote: »
    The nicest food come from them IMO. they must be doing something right.

hahaha
    Aw, you speak so well about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

The horror of it.

Chippers only appeared in most parts of Ireland when the Italians started them up. Sounds like somebodies talking out of their arse.

Wtf would you call it?

You're obviously an amateur on the chipper circuit so. There's more to life than Abra and Supermacs.

I wouldn;t have a name for your language, but I'd definitely call you a piss-talker. Who put the fly in your soup?

mikemac wrote: »
    Macari is a chain of chippers in Dublin.
    Don't you know most posters assume everyone is in or has knowledge of Dublin? :rolleyes:

Actually Im almost certain I have seen them in other towns. None near me though which is a shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

But do these gorgeous Italian girls move from such a beautiful country to Ireland (equally also a beautiful country).. to serve chips to drunken Irish slobs who have just fell off their barstool? (not that I'm complaining).
    There is a fantastic chipper in Terenure run by a family of Italians, the word gorgeous wouldn't be high on the list of descriptive features for the female staff though. Any good looking chipper chicks I know of are all east European.
    Amen to that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Someone, explain. Preferably Italian. !

*Whistles for GirlInterrupted*

But she doesn't work in a chip shop. And she's only part Italian. And she's spent almost all her life in Ireland.

But she LOOKS Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Here we go,Italians have been emigrating here for a very long time they have generations of family here,And when they come they work in family places as they all stay in contact and safer to move to family you may be related to :) Also they may not be Italian at all and just use that as cover story :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Strange, my Italian flatmate and I were recently talking about this. She said her plane back to Ireland was jammers the other day. She also thinks €25,000 is amazing, unbelievable money so yeah, probably economic.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

shqipshume wrote: »
    Here we go,Italians have been emigrating here for a very long time they have generations of family here,And when they come they work in family places as they all stay in contact and safer to move to family you may be related to :)

Some of the chippers around Dublin are owned by Italians with families back home and they rotate ownership of the shop between themselves. One part of the family may run it for a number of years, make decent money and then head back to the old country, and another part of the family will move to Ireland to replace them.
    shqipshume wrote: »
    Also they may not be Italian at all and just use that as cover story :D

True, they could be Albanian or something! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Historically, Italians have a habit of immigrating to the British Isles, particurly Wales. Although it might seem like a trivial thing, I understand some of most famous 'chippers' in Dublin are Italian, and have been around for decades upon decades.

More importantly, Italy is a political and economic ****hole, and has been for years. Things that we take for granted like the private media and independent, unbiased political insitutions barely exist there. Corruption is endemic. Just ask an Italian about his/her 'country' and see what kind of reply you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Italian myself (not a girl though)....original reason I moved here 8 years ago was simply that I loved the nightlife in Dublin, simple as that :)

Than as the years went by I had more reasons to stay, but night life in Dublin is as good as it can get!

Then, somehow I ended up in Limerick 4 years later! :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

But she LOOKS Italian.

Pics or GTFO

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Zaph wrote: »
    Some of the chippers around Dublin are owned by Italians with families back home and they rotate ownership of the shop between themselves. One part of the family may run it for a number of years, make decent money and then head back to the old country, and another part of the family will move to Ireland to replace them.

True, they could be Albanian or something! :eek:

Yep that's how it goes i have friend she is fourth generation or fifth Italian so is her husband they own chippers in different places all over Dublin.Cousins etc.. have come over and took over a few places.Fricken smart move you gave me ideas :D

Well a lot of them are or polish or some other nationality :D how does he know does he ask them lol al three of them where they were from :D

Dudess wrote: »
    €25,000 is amazing, unbelievable money so yeah, probably economic.

*Rattles his 78 cent in his pocket*

*makes sad face*

:(

There!

TripleAce wrote: »
    Then, somehow I ended up in Limerick 4 years later! :eek::confused:

From Italy to Limerick.

:eek: Was the correct emoticon.

Orizio wrote: »
    the British Isles

Dont get this one started again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

A lot come over here to learn english, as america is too far from home, they think London is too expensive and reckon the Irish are sounder than the English:pac: There is also still a misguided view that we're rolling in money, though to be fair the minimum wage here is very generous by Italian standards. I get the impression that this year there's more young Italians than ever before in Dublin.

A bit OT but its really strange how the majority of chippers are, or at least were, Italian owned. I've been in Italy countless times and there is nothing remotely like a chipper over there, the closest would be kebab shops.

They're putting together files on Trap's army for the upcoming qualifiers. The drunken barstoolers in the chipper are a great source for tactical information.

Drunken irish person:"I'm telling ye, John O shea is our danger man.Sure he scored more goals in the premiership than Shevchenko."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Lol when Trap got the job the Italian press listed Ian Harte as one of our dangermen! Now I know where they got it from, some chipper in Drogheda (or is it dundalk?):D

Advertisement