Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training sessions for Cross Country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Sacksian wrote: »
    Given your speed and endurance, you should love 5ks: fast first mile, wilt a little, wilt a little more, sprint. Even better if you've a bit of company. I've only done Parkruns and Jingle Bells so my experience of 5ks might be coloured a bit by handy courses.

Coincidentally, I have only ever run Parkruns and the Jingle Bells also so its not the courses that were tough. I can't quite pick out what it is but there's just something about the distance that doesn't sit right with me. Love 3ks and like 10ks but never really took to the 5ks.

Another question: What kind of sessions are people going to do, to sharpen up before the cross country? We've been doing a lot of longer tempo stuff at the club, which was much needed but I definitely feel I need a little sharpening coming up to the Novice. Haven't run at what I would hope would be my race pace or under in quite a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Coincidentally, I have only ever run Parkruns and the Jingle Bells also so its not the courses that were tough. I can't quite pick out what it is but there's just something about the distance that doesn't sit right with me. Love 3ks and like 10ks but never really took to the 5ks.

Another question: What kind of sessions are people going to do, to sharpen up before the cross country? We've been doing a lot of longer tempo stuff at the club, which was much needed but I definitely feel I need a little sharpening coming up to the Novice. Haven't run at what I would hope would be my race pace or under in quite a long time.

I would suggest some fartlek sessions KU. You could do them on grass and get used to a faster turnover on the uneven surface. Something like 2 mins on/1 off for 20 mins, and do the fast sections at a good clip. You could alter the pace for the fast sections, do some faster that others to replicate the various paces you get in x-country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

In terms of sessions I have my general outline though the actual specifics haven't been nailed down just yet. Initially I had said to myself just do same approach I had last winter and do a few of the sessions on grass and should be fine (and to be fair this is what I will be doing right up until novices). This comprises of mainly long reps on grass, Short/Long Tempos and Steady mid length runs

Between this and the Intermediates though I may tweak things a small bit with regards some of the tempos just to get a few gear changes

instead of just a straight 5-6 mile tempo I will look to a bit of gear changing by doing something like

1 mile @ 10k effort
    2 min rec
    4 mile tempo
    3 min rec
    5x200m @ 3k effort

Also may look to add cut down longer intervals

say instead of 6-8 x1k perhaps doing 4x600, 4x1k, 4x200 etc just etc just to get pace changes going but will be based around the premise that the strength is well and truly there from the build up

As I said this is more spitballing as I have not nailed things down because with the gym work I feel I am not suffering as much in terms of gear changes as I used to but if I am feeling strong but sluggish this may be a way of tackling the issue.

How has people's training been going since many of the contributors here don't have logs or have gone ninja :p

First session on grass at weekend, tough was an understatement and that was before the underfooting starts to deteriorate as the winter starts to kick in

Training has been going well, took a bit of a down week last week in terms of mileage (while keeping the sessions) to try and clear up a slight niggle in my hip, which seems to have worked. Did a bit of a monster session tonight, 1k, 2x(6x400m), 1k. K's were nice and handy at 6 minute pace, then 77/78 pace for the first set of 400's and 76's for the second. Knackered now. Haven't actually done any sessions on the grass yet, but I'm trusting the coach and I think this comes later. Like the idea of those multi-pace sessions ecoli, good to get used to running at different paces as so often happens in x-country races.

My top secret ninja training is also going very well :cool: and who knows I might resurrect the log some day but I'm happy enough to sleuth around the other threads for now.

My main worry coming back after the summer off was that I'd have no one to pace with at the club but luckily enough we've a got a group of 5-6 runners all at a similar level so we've been having some great sessions.

After a lot of longer tempo stuff immediately after coming back, the coach seems to be transitioning to some sharper work lately. This week, we did 6 X 800 on the Tuesday and our Saturday session is on the flat instead of the hilly loop in Phoenix Park. Feeling a bit of fatigue this week so might have to take it handy for a few days. Went back in to the 3 sessions a week shortly after a long break so will have to be mindful of not doing too much too soon. Only 2 weeks to go now so not much improvement to be made, just about getting to the start line feeling good and healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Running 6 or 7 days consistently, all of it on grass and trails around the PP. Currently three (sensible) sessions and a very slow long (-ish) run every week and anything else very, very easy - topping out at 40-45 miles. Long run is now up to 12 miles - very slow.

Particularly chuffed to have done my first tempo in a year today, 4 miles on grass, and it went well, so I think if I can avoid succumbing to illness or injury in the next couple of months, I should be in good fettle for the xc season. Unless I've peaked in mid-September...which is entirely possible.

Re: sharpening - I was going to suggest doing 800m reps on the munichs but you seem to have done that! I did it myself this week 6 x 800 off 90s - started off very slowly but worked my way through 5k pace down to faster than my 3k pace on the last one, all controlled. It felt like a sharpening session.

You could also do some 400s on the Munichs - from the tree at the fort through the two dips and a little bit past - 10 off 60s starting at 5k pace and working down after the first 4 or 5. Something relatively light that ends up faster than race pace but staying controlled, I guess.

Think I possibly overdid it on the hills on Saturday, seem to have picked up a slight strain in one of my quads. :( It's not too bad (managed an 11 mile run yesterday) but a little worrying. Took today off and will rest tomorrow too, have physio booked. Not great timing with 5 races in the next 6 weeks, haven't raced since the end of July, itching to get stuck into it. Boo.

Well, just one week to go now to the respective county novices so not much more training to go.

While out on the long run today, I was thinking about race tactics. Tradition would dictate that you go out hard, stick with a group and then just hang on for dear life. I really don't think this would suit me though as a serial negative splitter. It would also be nice to have a little more space in the earlier stages when things get very bunched going round tight corners, leading to a lot of deceleration and acceleration.

Has anyone ever tried to start down the field and pick their way through in the later laps? As things are going, its looking like I might be on the 'B' team so it could be an opportunity to try out something tactically a little different.

Well, just one week to go now to the respective county novices so not much more training to go.

While out on the long run today, I was thinking about race tactics. Tradition would dictate that you go out hard, stick with a group and then just hang on for dear life. I really don't think this would suit me though as a serial negative splitter. It would also be nice to have a little more space in the earlier stages when things get very bunched going round tight corners, leading to a lot of deceleration and acceleration.

Has anyone ever tried to start down the field and pick their way through in the later laps? As things are going, its looking like I might be on the 'B' team so it could be an opportunity to try out something tactically a little different.

Would be the same as yourself. Normally I am rarely that fit to be thinking about best tactics to suit and go off conservative enough as a safety precaution because fitness is slightly lacking

That being said I will definitely be working into this one. My endurance is my strength and I know that working too hard to early will be a shock to the system that the body is not used to.

Start is relatively flat so if you are a strength based runner you will take a good few on the rolling hills once the pace settles.

In terms of congestion people always follow the inside line on the rolling hills leaving the other side wide open to avoid congestion without adding any distance really, though I would aim to be free of congestion by the time you reach the forest before the down hill on the loop as tree roots can be risky enough.

Last hard session prior to the Novice today capped off a good week for me, Ideally would be doing Long run tomorrow but I have a 7 am start in work followed by an exam in evening so I will have to push long run to Tuesday with session Thurs (light pace change tune up session)

How everyone else fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I reckon my best ever cross country race came when I had to stop to tie my laces and then fell on my ass a couple minutes later in the first lap of four. The combination, along with a too conservative start left me fuming mad, and I channelled that into a really strong second half of the race. Tactically nonsensical but physchologically I was on the ball on it worked.

I've thrown a few shorter sessions into training for speed development as part of marathon training, so reckon that along with the aerobic base from the long tempo runs should have me in reasonable nick, unfortunately the senior race here in Louth probably a week or two too early after marathon.

While I won't be at the very top end of the race like you guys, I'm still hoping for a good top 10 finish in our champs. Was talking to a few lads from the club this week and we decided that we are going to try and work as a group for this race. There will be one or two guys who will be ahead of everyone else but after that we are going to try and control the pace as best we can. There will be 4 or 5 of us all around the same so if we can share the work, it might work out better for us. Might mean running a little faster that optional and typically I like to sit back a little and push on at the end but will give this tactic a go for this race.

Not sure what shape I'm in, my fitness gauge race was last night (haven't ran a race since mid-July!) but had to sit it out to make this quad is 100% so I'm going in a bit blind. Hopefully the low mileage week this week won't come back to bite me.

Oh good. I'm not alone so. Very unsure about my level of race fitness so precaution would be sensible. Had hoped to run the Rathfarnam 5k but the All Ireland replay but a spanner in those works. Ran a 5 mile tempo on grass on the Saturday, where I was happy with the 6 minute pace but the effort was probably a little high at times.

Last session will be Tuesday and then probably a half session on Thursday. Been a long time since my last race (April/May I think) so I'm looking forward to this with equal amounts of excitement and trepidation. Always a good team atmosphere at these events, which makes it that bit more enjoyable than your average road race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

If this good weather holds up a harder early pace may be wise. By the time Senior comes around most places will be fairly soggy and muddy and you can really be punished for too hot a pace early on.

Pacing for the novice is a conundrum alright!

I think you just have to run to your strengths, if you're a negative splitter, then you'll probably get your best result that way. If you look at last year's results, some guys in the leading group on the first lap went out the back of it, while there were others finishing in the top 20 who made up a lot of ground over the race. By the end of the 2nd lap, the top 20 was mostly settled (though there were lots of changes of positions within that). By the end of the 3rd lap, the top 10 was mostly settled. The top 5 were more or less there from the very start.

And even though it was a very fast, flat course, the whole field seemed to be completely strung out by the end of the second lap. All the real lunacy was in the first lap. There was a guy in the late 20s at the end of the first lap, who finished in the top 10. And another guy in the 30s, who finished in the 60s.

The final remaining issue is footwear: I think it's dry enough for racing flats. My xc spikes are much heavier than my track spikes or racing flats, so I'd really rather not wear them. And I think my track spikes are a bit too flimsy.

Anyone know who the individual favourites are?

Sacksian wrote: »
    Pacing for the novice is a conundrum alright!

I think you just have to run to your strengths, if you're a negative splitter, then you'll probably get your best result that way. If you look at last year's results, some guys in the leading group on the first lap went out the back of it, while there were others finishing in the top 20 who made up a lot of ground over the race. By the end of the 2nd lap, the top 20 was mostly settled (though there were lots of changes of positions within that). By the end of the 3rd lap, the top 10 was mostly settled. The top 5 were more or less there from the very start.

And even though it was a very fast, flat course, the whole field seemed to be completely strung out by the end of the second lap. All the real lunacy was in the first lap. There was a guy in the late 20s at the end of the first lap, who finished in the top 10. And another guy in the 30s, who finished in the 60s.

The final remaining issue is footwear: I think it's dry enough for racing flats. My xc spikes are much heavier than my track spikes or racing flats, so I'd really rather not wear them. And I think my track spikes are a bit too flimsy.

Anyone know who the individual favourites are?

Looking at the weekly weather forecast last night, they are giving a lot of rain Thursday/Friday and in to the weekend so this might dictate the decision regarding footwear.

Interesting analysis of last year's race. I definitely went out too hard and actually dropped out. Poor decision on my part as I probably would have recovered somewhat after a poor second lap.

Don't know about the favourites but there's a guy from our club who ran 14.50 in Rathfarnam so he could be there or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

Looking at the weekly weather forecast last night, they are giving a lot of rain Thursday/Friday and in to the weekend so this might dictate the decision regarding footwear.

Interesting analysis of last year's race. I definitely went out too hard and actually dropped out. Poor decision on my part as I probably would have recovered somewhat after a poor second lap.

Don't know about the favourites but there's a guy from our club who ran 14.50 in Rathfarnam so he could be there or thereabouts.

Well, unless there is some really good junior, I'd imagine there are very few sub 15 runners still eligible for the novice!

Might have to invest in a new pair of spikes, based on your weather forecast.

I think the weather gods are sensing that cross country season is coming, giving it get colder from today on with some heavy rain at the end of the week and stronger winds! Luckily where our novice is on the ground is really dry so a bit of rain will make no difference but the venue of the intermediate the following week is a different story, it's very wet and turns to a bog with even the mention of rain. Last session before the race tonight, just wish it was the weekend now!

Last session and Gym workout in the bag and good confidence booster today, with the weather changing though plan to add a few strides in the spikes on grass just after next few runs just to get a bit more accustomed to but bar that its easy streak

Got a print out of the course today also and looks like we don't turn half way down the straight towards magazine fort as we used to but rather go the whole way down and around.

Looking forward to it now

Twice a year you can rely on the weather in this country;

Sun the week of leaving cert and rain the weekend XC kicks off :rolleyes:

So much for flats :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Twice a year you can rely on the weather in this country;

Sun the week of leaving cert and rain the weekend XC kicks off :rolleyes:

So much for flats :D

Ha, nevermind just spikes, might be changing from 9's to 12's if this gets any worse!

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ha, nevermind just spikes, might be changing from 9's to 12's if this gets any worse!

Sure anything less than 12's doesn't warrant spikes :D

When you get to 15s you know things are bad (only ever had to go nuclear once:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I wish someone on this thread was saying 'Haven't done any cross country-specific training as was just called up to make up the numbers.' I wouldn't feel so alone then :)

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I wish someone on this thread was saying 'Haven't done any cross country-specific training as was just called up to make up the numbers.' I wouldn't feel so alone then :)

Trust me there is more than you think they are just lurking, I can think of 2 boardsies as well as pretty much my whole team who were "roped in" by club captain :D

I am the club captain for the men in my club so it's my job to ring round and convince people like you to run! :) I'm not too popular at this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I'm only doing it to make up numbers. thankfully the Kildare Novices is only 3k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Happens to me every year, except for the years when I remember how much I suck at cross-country racing and manage to weasel out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

Im a worse fool in that I have no specific training done, have never done any cross country running before & I signed myself up for this hardship without any encouragement!!! Any advice welcome

Im a worse fool in that I have no specific training done, have never done any cross country running before & I signed myself up for this hardship without any encouragement!!! Any advice welcome

Try not to get too carried away at the start, the field will likely be smaller that you would find in a road race and it will probably go out pretty fast. Just stick to your own own pace, and maybe try and find a group running at the same speed. Cross country is less about times and more about position so try and pick off guys as you go and move up the field. Have you spikes?

Try not to get too carried away at the start, the field will likely be smaller that you would find in a road race and it will probably go out pretty fast. Just stick to your own own pace, and maybe try and find a group running at the same speed. Cross country is less about times and more about position so try and pick off guys as you go and move up the field. Have you spikes?

Thanks for reply, that sounds like good advice. No I dont have spikes, was just going to wear normal trainers. Wanted to give it a go before I went out and made any purchase in case its not for me. That would have been fine of course if weather had not changed, what do you think it will be like underfoot in Stamullen on Sunday?

Thanks for reply, that sounds like good advice. No I dont have spikes, was just going to wear normal trainers. Wanted to give it a go before I went out and made any purchase in case its not for me. That would have been fine of course if weather had not changed, what do you think it will be like underfoot in Stamullen on Sunday?

You will be fine with runners, just watch your footing on the grass especially on the corners. If it's the same Stamullen where the Star of the Sea race was on last weekend then it's pretty dry ground and this rain shouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

• Advertisement

You will be fine with runners, just watch your footing on the grass especially on the corners. If it's the same Stamullen where the Star of the Sea race was on last weekend then it's pretty dry ground and this rain shouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

Thanks again for your advice. I will invest in spikes if I enjoy it this weekend. Yes its where Star of Sea had race last weekend alright. Will let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Thanks again for your advice. I will invest in spikes if I enjoy it this weekend. Yes its where Star of Sea had race last weekend alright. Will let you know how I get on.

A nice course to make your cross country debut :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was just thinking of somebody putting up on Boards their 'Garmin race profile' of some cross country race they did a few years back.

I asked why there was a spike in velocity during the race? He mentioned that he was chased by some swans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Krusty at the intermediate? There's a short, steep downhill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Going to do my own Co. Novice at the weekend, no idea what sort of shape I'm in but I've a few solid sessions in me since the start of September. The sessions seem to be going well but I seem to be struggling on the normal runs so I'll see hw it goes. The standard is always fairly unpredictable for the novice. No idea who I'll be up against but I'll go out to win either way and we've a good chance of winning the team title too so I'm beginning to look forward to it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

CROSS COUNTRY WEATHER!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

pa4 wrote: »
    Going to do my own Co. Novice at the weekend, no idea what sort of shape I'm in but I've a few solid sessions in me since the start of September. The sessions seem to be going well but I seem to be struggling on the normal runs so I'll see hw it goes. The standard is always fairly unpredictable for the novice. No idea who I'll be up against but I'll go out to win either way and we've a good chance of winning the team title too so I'm beginning to look forward to it :)

Best of luck PA,
    Dave M will be a contender if he runs it

Ceepo wrote: »
    Best of luck PA,
    Dave M will be a contender if he runs it

He's not running it this year as far as I know, few others major challengers not running or injured so we'll see how it goes but to be honest if I'm not well up there I'll be fairly disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

David McCarthy would have surely lost his Novice status.

• Advertisement

For someone who was only in the team to 'make up the numbers' - you ran very well! You overtook me coming towards the end of the second lap and could see you taking out a load of girls as we went over the dips. Was catching a Raheny girl coming up to the finish but just missed her. Not sure it that was you or another girl?
    Collapsed on the ground afterwards otherwise I'd have attempted to introduce myself. ;)

For someone who was only in the team to 'make up the numbers' - you ran very well! You overtook me coming towards the end of the second lap and could see you taking out a load of girls as we went over the dips. Was catching a Raheny girl coming up to the finish but just missed her. Not sure it that was you or another girl?
    Collapsed on the ground afterwards otherwise I'd have attempted to introduce myself. ;)

Sorry we didn't meet! What club are you with? For identification purposes, there were five of us on the Raheny team and I was our third finisher - we had a young, fast runner who was quite far forward, then another younger girl with a long, blonde pony tail who was 2nd, then me, 2 places behind her, then my friend Mary, short blonde hair, and then another blond, ponytailed runner. actually, I suppose a quicker identification would have been to say that I was the brunette on the team :-)

How did you find it? I think maybe I didn't warm up enough (by the way, thanks to the Clonliffe women for taking me on their warm up lap when I arrived to late to do it with my own team!) or something because I found the pace so fast in the first km, and I was really far back. Settled into it then when we started the long laps and started to move through the field a bit. Really enjoyed the course, it was my first cross country in the Phoenix Park. How did you find it?

I only knew it was you because you were in a Raheny singlet and everyone was shouting Helen at you so I'll let you away with not knowing who I am ;) I'm with Donore. Have no idea what colour hair the Raheny runner ahead of me had...there was a sportsworld runner there and one more - didn't know there was a Raheny until someone asked me after if I'd caught her!

Really enjoyed it. Had a brutal season last year and raced well today. Could've done with another lap though ;) good to start off on home ground this year!

I only knew it was you because you were in a Raheny singlet and everyone was shouting Helen at you so I'll let you away with not knowing who I am ;) I'm with Donore. Have no idea what colour hair the Raheny runner ahead of me had...there was a sportsworld runner there and one more - didn't know there was a Raheny until someone asked me after if I'd caught her!

Really enjoyed it. Had a brutal season last year and raced well today. Could've done with another lap though ;) good to start off on home ground this year!

We'll have to look at the results to see if we were neck & neck! I think Donore did pretty well. Did you come second? And your men won?? Well done!

Yes, a lot of people were shouting at me! There was great support.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    A nice course to make your cross country debut :eek:

Presume you were having a laugh at me😳 It is a difficult hilly😡 course but guess what, I loved it! Well I swore to myself when I was starting second lap NEVER AGAIN but by time I crossed finish line & caught my breath I had put my name down for Athboy next Sunday!! it's definitely different to road running but a good challenge. Think was 4th FO40 so missed out on medal but was happy I did my best on the day.

Anyone know what Athboy course is like?

Well done to everyone who ran at the Dublin Novice today and a big thanks to Donore Harriers for organising it, and to all the supporters. I actually think I would just stop and walk if it wasn't for all the cheering! As I said upthread, thanks to Clonliffe for taking me under their wing for the warm up, and to my Donore & Sportsworld friends who cheered me on despite me being from a rival club. Thanks so much to Raheny for all the support too.
    Looking forward to more cross country this season now, now that last year's ankle woes are behind me!

• Advertisement

Well that was a baptism of fire! How'd we all get on?

Well that was a baptism of fire! How'd we all get on?

Managed 2nd today. Got absolutely soaked and the wind was enough to knock a house! Good ole XC weather. At least there was no mud!

We'll have to look at the results to see if we were neck & neck! I think Donore did pretty well. Did you come second? And your men won?? Well done!

Yes, a lot of people were shouting at me! There was great support.

Yep we had individual gold, team silver and the boys won team gold...didn't stick around for the results so no idea where I actually placed. Not sure I want to either. :D

Yep we had individual gold, team silver and the boys won team gold...didn't stick around for the results so no idea where I actually placed. Not sure I want to either. :D

Brilliant!! Well done. I think I know one of your men's team ... Emmett? Well done to you all. Don't know where I placed either, but it think I spotted you in a photo and it was my friend Mary you were chasing - I think it's you - Raheny, Donore and Sportsworld in a group. The pics are up on. Raheny Shamrock AC Fit for Life Facebook page if you want to see if you can spot yourself!

Thats myself. She must have surged ahead there, looks like she's overtaking and the girls finished a couple of seconds ahead of me. I was totally oblivious to what was going on around me so she could very well have been running beside me the whole way :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement