Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Windows 10 - Free [microsoft.com]

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Is there an option to do a clean install with this and format the drive
    My laptop could do with a severe cleansing.All I need to backup are photos and music.

Seemingly you can download from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

But I don't know the ins and outs of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

TallGlass wrote: »
    Seemingly you can download from here

But I don't know the ins and outs of it yet.

You have to perform an actual upgrade to get an activated license. So do the upgrade first, and then either use the Reset option within Windows 10 or use the tool to create new installation media and do a clean-clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

sean_b97 wrote: »
    is windows 10 good on a non-touchscreen laptop w7?

Have it on both types of laptops but then again although my main laptop is touchscreen I never use it.

I've had windows 10.1 Beta for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Bayberry wrote: »
    You have to perform an actual upgrade to get an activated license. So do the upgrade first, and then either use the Reset option within Windows 10 or use the tool to create new installation media and do a clean-clean install.
    Before you upgrade (i.e. while still running your old OS - Windows 8.1 or 7) you can get your old product key. Then fire ahead and use this when installing Windows 10 from an ISO.

You get a clean install, no upgrade shenanigans, and you're off to the races.

More details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ehhhh... This deal isn't expired. It won't expire for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Downloaded this last night and was wondering about internet security program.
    I used to use the free Microsoft security essentials. Will I need to download and install this again or does the windows 10 already come with installed internet security

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Probably best to move discussion over to the more active thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300527

Berberis wrote: »
    I used to use the free Microsoft security essentials. Will I need to download and install this again or does the windows 10 already come with installed internet security
    It's now called Windows Defender and it's built in.

It's in the "Windows System" folder, at the bottom of the "All Programs" list, or you can just click on the Search box and type Defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Berberis wrote: »

Security Essentials is for older versions of Windows, you're now looking for Windows Defender. Defender is pretty good - used it for a year or so on Windows 8.1 and never had any issues. Just use Malwarebytes Free along with Defender and you should be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Bayberry wrote: »
    It's now called Windows Defender and it's built in.

It's in the "Windows System" folder, at the bottom of the "All Programs" list, or you can just click on the Search box and type Defender.
    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Security Essentials is for older versions of Windows, you're now looking for Windows Defender. Defender is pretty good - used it for a year or so on Windows 8.1 and never had any issues. Just use Malwarebytes Free along with Defender and you should be set.

Thanks folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Before you upgrade (i.e. while still running your old OS - Windows 8.1 or 7) you can get your old product key.

Any idea where I'd find the product key?

(HP Stream7 32bit Win 8.1)

degsie wrote: »
    Probably best to move discussion over to the more active thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300527

Not a bad idea but some BA's might not dare venure into the Windows forum.

Why is this marked as expired? It's still active is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Any idea where I'd find the product key?

(HP Stream7 32bit Win 8.1)

Use something like this:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not a bad idea but some BA's might not dare venure into the Windows forum.

The OP suggests it's free to everyone, whether they have a system with 7 or 8 on it. That ended up not being true...hence the tag.

There was some confusion when the thread was first started about whether the Insider Preview program would offer a way for people who don't current have an upgradeable Win7 or Win8 license - that's why the Thread title refers to "Full Windows 10". When it was made clear that you would still need a Win7/Win8 license to upgrade from, the Expired tag was added.

But you're right - a Windows 10 Upgrade thread is perfectly reasonable for the BA forum, as it's a bargain that many people will probably be interested in taking advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭KrakityJones

Before you upgrade (i.e. while still running your old OS - Windows 8.1 or 7) you can get your old product key. Then fire ahead and use this when installing Windows 10 from an ISO.

More details here.

Does that mean you can use your windows 7 product key so when prompted during the 10 install? I thought they were 2 different key types? Clean install would be way more preferable but anything Ive read so far suggests you have to do an in-place upgrade first, then re-set the pc. Be very handy if you can just enter your win 7 key and start all clean and tidy, did it work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

More details here.

We tried that yesterday and it didnt work, luckily we swapped out the hard drive to do the clean install.

You need to use a Windows 10 licence in order to clean install from the ISO, which you will only get when buying the full copy or when your upgrade it writes the windows 10 key to the bios and automatically picks it up when doing the fresh install. (From a forum i read yesterday after trying my windows 7 and 8 keys)

Licence keys are written to the Bios on windows 8 laptops for a while now, so you dont get a licence key on a sticker anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Does that mean you can use your windows 7 product key so when prompted during the 10 install? I thought they were 2 different key types? Clean install would be way more preferable but anything Ive read so far suggests you have to do an in-place upgrade first, then re-set the pc. Be very handy if you can just enter your win 7 key and start all clean and tidy, did it work for you?

I did the upgrade first, that got Win 10 activated for me. Then did the clean install.

Bit of a pain in the ass to do it that way but I wasn't risking not getting a legitimate activation by just doing a clean install first and losing the Win 8.1 install and key. (I have both keys now in case I want to go back).

Theres a tool I used to get the product key. It's a fairly simple tool and it displays all keys. The key you use is the second in the colum in the list. Can't share as I am installing now.

Theres a tool I used to get the product key. It's a fairly simple tool and it displays all keys. The key you use is the second in the colum in the list. Can't share as I am installing now.

I've used Belarc Advisor over the years to get full inventories of PCs, including license keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Mr E wrote: »

Tried this but still no joy!

Feckin cannot get this Windows10 upgrade option on a Windows 8.1 dell laptop , only 6 months old.

bmm wrote: »

Feckin cannot get this Windows10 upgrade option on a Windows 8.1 dell laptop , only 6 months old.

Did you try to run the Media Creation Tool? When I couldn't get the upgrade to work through Windows Update, I ran that tool, and selected the Upgrade option, rather than creating installation media, and it worked )on two different devices)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Download the iso from the Microsoft site and update using that. That's what I did on my PC and everything was activated. I then did the fresh install and everything is running perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

bmm wrote: »

Seems to have sorted itself out last night. Option to run Upgrade was on taskbar this morning. tx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

would b v interested to know if that works as well. have keys but no windows installed yet, so this would be handy and not lose half a day going through the whole rigmarole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Getting a boot error when trying to install it on my Windows 7 laptop. It has the 'UPGRADING WINDOWS' with the circle percentage and everything, but cuts off halfway through with the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

quarryman wrote: »
    I did the upgrade first, that got Win 10 activated for me. Then did the clean install.

Bit of a pain in the ass to do it that way but I wasn't risking not getting a legitimate activation by just doing a clean install first and losing the Win 8.1 install and key. (I have both keys now in case I want to go back).
    Rather than do a clean install after the upgrade, Windows 10 has fairly comprehensive reset feature under settings to roll it back to a stock / fresh install.

Its under Setting > Update and Security > Recovery. Select Reset this PC.

It will give you the option to save your old files or to completely wipe the machine of any personal data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Again, prbly better to post over in the main 'windows 10' forum. This is a ba thread which has expired.

Advertisement