Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boy bullied out of school over accent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im not surprised at all. This would nearly happen in any Irish school I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

If I was the parents of any of those kids who bullied that young lad, they would be frog marched up to apologuise and grounded for a month. Cnuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Im not surprised at all. This would nearly happen in any Irish school I imagine.

maybe where you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

wrong thread again... have to stop have 1k tabs open..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I read this and the blog the other day and couldn't believe it.

I moved to Kells and to that school when I was 10 from Dublin. It was just before the housing boom started where half of Dublin moved to the surrounding counties to live so I was practically the only Dub in the town. I was easily identifiable as 'the lad from Dublin' in the school. The accent was obvious but no one gave me any grief over it. Does the fact he's from a different country make it so different from my situation? Or rather, should it?

I'm disgusted with the accounts of the people doing nothing to help. Especially the principal. I'd be interested to know if it's the same principal as was there when I attended. I'd be even more shocked if that was the case cause the guy was an especially lovely guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

hondasam wrote: »
    Yes they do, it's very similar to the English accent.
    `
    it absolutely isnt.... and which English accent... London, Cornish, Liverpool, Newcastle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ronnie Binge

It's terrible. I remember when a new lad came to school, if he was say, American or German or Dutch it was bad enough, but if he came from England, say no more.

Back in the early 1970s that was certainly the case. Shame that there are still retarded little bastards at that game and that they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can understand the school's position, they can't police what happens after hours.

The parents need to man up and visit the bullies' families though.

44leto wrote: »
    If I was the parents of any of those kids who bullied that young lad, they would be frog marched up to apologuise and grounded for a month. Cnuts.

sadly some don't seem to mind.
    some even take a perverted pride in this type of behaviour.
    some encourage their little feral offspring to bully other kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

The problem is though the principal of the school (as well as the Guards) might not be paying enough attention due to bullying being so common - it happens to almost every kid at some stage. So it's easy for them to say ''Just tell your kid to ignore them and they'll stop'' They'll assume it's just a part of everyday school and growing up, and might have also seen a million other bullying cases before - making it hard to pay so much attention to just one.

The same thing happened to an Irish teenager who moved to Boston - Phoebe Prince. She was apparently bullied due to being an immigrant, because she was Irish, her accent, along with all the other BS. She and her aunt who lived in the area contacted the school principal many times, and nothing was done. The principal simply brushed it off and assumed it was just part of everyday school life - and told her to ignore her bullies and it would stop. But it got so bad in the end the kid committed suicide. Only then was bullying actually taken seriously in that school... Typical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kylith wrote: »
    I can understand the school's position, they can't police what happens after hours...

Seem like that they are unwilling to police what happens in schools hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

maybe where you live?

yeah, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Poor kid. The sad thing is, I'm sure some of the kids involved weren't completely horrible; it's just very easy for them to get caught up with the group and do nasty things they wouldn't normally, and things escalate from there.
    Kid has a different accent; a few kids make fun of it and normally it'd end there, but sometimes for no particular reason it turns into a much bigger deal.

Also, it's not exactly fair to say no South Africans are nice. Apart from the obvious generalisation, it's a bit unfair to lump a ten-year old boy in with that, and at least partially blame him for being bullied.

There's always one little prick who is the ringleader in any gang of school bullies.
    He usually grows up to be the prick that will attack an innocent passer-by(as long as he has his 2 or 3 friends with him)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ive never met a nice South African
    Could be nice ones out there but any I've met were highly abrasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

There's always one little prick who is the ringleader in any gang of school bullies.
    He usually grows up to be the prick that will attack an innocent passer-by(as long as he has his 2 or 3 friends with him)

That's the problem. Sometimes it'll just be restricted to one gang of bullies, but sometimes it escalates and others get involved, the herd mentality takes over and things get out of hand.

The principal of that schools should be made accountable/answerable.
    He/she has a duty of care to that child.

I bet if his salary/pension was docked, it would focus his attention a bit more.

Also the other parents haven't covered themselves in glory. What a cowardly bunch of morons.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Best thing to do would be to beat the ****e out of the ring leader and that would put the rest of the vermon off bullying this young boy. Can they not make an example out of him an expell him from the school for what he does during "school hours."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

haters gonna hate.

What ever happened to stick & stones. I suppose in Modern Ireland the new saying is "Better not say that"

don't get me started on Social network or online bullying.
    IMO the victim deserves it. Reason being they could simply block these bullies but obviously don't, one has to ask "Why" ?

obvious reason - they like it to a certain degree, after all it is a form of attention

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    haters gonna hate.

What ever happened to stick & stones. I suppose in Modern Ireland the new saying is "Better not say that"

IMO the victim deserves it. Reason being they could simply block these bullies but obviously don't, one has to ask "Why" ?

obvious reason - they like it to a certain degree, after all it is a form of attention

DO NOT FEED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    How many have you met? Doesn't give dickheads a reason to bully the kid.
    As said above, it's an old comedy song (I think it was Spitting Image that did it?)
    BostonB wrote: »
    A society is measured by how it treats its most vulnerable.
    As such I think this is a reflection of Irish society in general, where the perpetrators are more protected than their victims.
    In many cases of bullying, schools and parents can be quick to react. It's unfair to label all of Irish society because of this one case.
    Your no better than the bully's.
    He does have a point. If the kid was black, the school would have been falling over itself to make sure it can't be accused of racism. It's a sad state of affairs, but it happens.
    I moved to Kells and to that school when I was 10 from Dublin. It was just before the housing boom started where half of Dublin moved to the surrounding counties to live so I was practically the only Dub in the town. I was easily identifiable as 'the lad from Dublin' in the school. The accent was obvious but no one gave me any grief over it. Does the fact he's from a different country make it so different from my situation? Or rather, should it?
    I'd say you'd find that it doesn't matter what your skin colour is or where you're from. When someone wants to pick on you, they'll find a reason to single you out.
    AEDIC wrote: »
    `
    it absolutely isnt.... and which English accent... London, Cornish, Liverpool, Newcastle...
    If you're unfamiliar with English dialects and South African dialects (say, for example, if you were young and still in school) you could be forgiven for thinking that a South African was English.
    kylith wrote: »
    I can understand the school's position, they can't police what happens after hours.

The parents need to man up and visit the bullies' families though.
    I can't really understand the schools position at all. If they know it's going on, then they should be doing something about it. They're job is to educate the children and an important lesson is to not pick on people because you see them as different.

haters gonna hate.

They love getting taunted everyday and being made a joke in front of a school? You must have had a very unusual childhood if that's your outlook on things. How would you suggest that the victim stops this attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

**WARNING DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!!**

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

haters gonna hate.

Wow...

So you think a ten-year old boy loves being bullied, do you?

You think a ten-year old boy should just shrug off verbal and physical abuse (there goes your "sticks and stones" "argument")?

As for the cyber-bullying: it wasn't a case of messages being sent to him, so blocking people didn't come into it (you didn't read the article, did you?). There was a facebook page set up making fun of him. Even if he never looked at the page, how do you think he would've felt about that? At ten years old?

Trolling or not, your post is one of the most ridiculous, obnoxious things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He should have just beaten the f*** out of them. All whilst screaming 'DEEEEEEEPLOMATIC EEEEEEEMUUUUNITAAAAEE'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did you even read the article?

They weren't sending abusive messages to him online.

The point was they set up a dedicated facebook page just to taunt him and write horrible things

Which is exactly what happened that young Irish girl in the USA

Cop yourself on and try and read the OP before commenting

edit: The King of Moo has the same point above

They love getting taunted everyday and being made a joke in front of a school? You must have had a very unusual childhood if that's your outlook on things. How would you suggest that the victim stops this attention?

In my post you can see I said : "Don't get me started on social network / online bullying"

obvioulsy the physical side of bullying is different and would be hard.
    The online bullying though I personally do not understand. You can simply block the bullies on facwebook, twitter etc... hence my comment about bullying ONLINE

again physical bullying is different but I didn't say that in the first place.
    I also mentioned an age old quote "Sticks & stones " - which obviously isn't relevant in Modern Ireland anymore

In my post you can see I said : "Don't get me started on social network / online bullying"

obvioulsy the physical side of bullying is different and would be hard.
    The online bullying though I personally do not understand. You can simply block the bullies on facwebook, twitter etc... hence my comment about bullying ONLINE

again physical bullying is different but I didn't say that in the first place.
    I also mentioned an age old quote "Sticks & stones " - which obviously isn't relevant in Modern Ireland anymore

And how could he block a page that was created on Facebook by somebody else? Read the article before commenting.

• Advertisement

No i did not read the article.
    Why was the boy visiting this fake facebook page of himself then ?

To answer others - Of Course I don't think it's ok for a 10yo boy to be bullied, obviously not however it is simply a part of life.

some are bullies, others are bullied.

Advertisement