Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boy bullied out of school over accent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    How many have you met? Doesn't give dickheads a reason to bully the kid.
    As said above, it's an old comedy song (I think it was Spitting Image that did it?)
    BostonB wrote: »
    A society is measured by how it treats its most vulnerable.
    As such I think this is a reflection of Irish society in general, where the perpetrators are more protected than their victims.
    In many cases of bullying, schools and parents can be quick to react. It's unfair to label all of Irish society because of this one case.
    Your no better than the bully's.
    He does have a point. If the kid was black, the school would have been falling over itself to make sure it can't be accused of racism. It's a sad state of affairs, but it happens.
    I moved to Kells and to that school when I was 10 from Dublin. It was just before the housing boom started where half of Dublin moved to the surrounding counties to live so I was practically the only Dub in the town. I was easily identifiable as 'the lad from Dublin' in the school. The accent was obvious but no one gave me any grief over it. Does the fact he's from a different country make it so different from my situation? Or rather, should it?
    I'd say you'd find that it doesn't matter what your skin colour is or where you're from. When someone wants to pick on you, they'll find a reason to single you out.
    AEDIC wrote: »
    `
    it absolutely isnt.... and which English accent... London, Cornish, Liverpool, Newcastle...
    If you're unfamiliar with English dialects and South African dialects (say, for example, if you were young and still in school) you could be forgiven for thinking that a South African was English.
    kylith wrote: »
    I can understand the school's position, they can't police what happens after hours.

The parents need to man up and visit the bullies' families though.
    I can't really understand the schools position at all. If they know it's going on, then they should be doing something about it. They're job is to educate the children and an important lesson is to not pick on people because you see them as different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    haters gonna hate.

What ever happened to stick & stones. I suppose in Modern Ireland the new saying is "Better not say that"

don't get me started on Social network or online bullying.
    IMO the victim deserves it. Reason being they could simply block these bullies but obviously don't, one has to ask "Why" ?

obvious reason - they like it to a certain degree, after all it is a form of attention

They love getting taunted everyday and being made a joke in front of a school? You must have had a very unusual childhood if that's your outlook on things. How would you suggest that the victim stops this attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

**WARNING DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!!**

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

haters gonna hate.

What ever happened to stick & stones. I suppose in Modern Ireland the new saying is "Better not say that"

IMO the victim deserves it. Reason being they could simply block these bullies but obviously don't, one has to ask "Why" ?

obvious reason - they like it to a certain degree, after all it is a form of attention

Wow...

So you think a ten-year old boy loves being bullied, do you?

You think a ten-year old boy should just shrug off verbal and physical abuse (there goes your "sticks and stones" "argument")?

As for the cyber-bullying: it wasn't a case of messages being sent to him, so blocking people didn't come into it (you didn't read the article, did you?). There was a facebook page set up making fun of him. Even if he never looked at the page, how do you think he would've felt about that? At ten years old?

Trolling or not, your post is one of the most ridiculous, obnoxious things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He should have just beaten the f*** out of them. All whilst screaming 'DEEEEEEEPLOMATIC EEEEEEEMUUUUNITAAAAEE'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did you even read the article?

They weren't sending abusive messages to him online.

The point was they set up a dedicated facebook page just to taunt him and write horrible things

Which is exactly what happened that young Irish girl in the USA

Cop yourself on and try and read the OP before commenting

edit: The King of Moo has the same point above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

They love getting taunted everyday and being made a joke in front of a school? You must have had a very unusual childhood if that's your outlook on things. How would you suggest that the victim stops this attention?

In my post you can see I said : "Don't get me started on social network / online bullying"

obvioulsy the physical side of bullying is different and would be hard.
    The online bullying though I personally do not understand. You can simply block the bullies on facwebook, twitter etc... hence my comment about bullying ONLINE

again physical bullying is different but I didn't say that in the first place.
    I also mentioned an age old quote "Sticks & stones " - which obviously isn't relevant in Modern Ireland anymore

In my post you can see I said : "Don't get me started on social network / online bullying"

The online bullying though I personally do not understand. You can simply block the bullies on facwebook, twitter etc... hence my comment about bullying ONLINE

I also mentioned an age old quote "Sticks & stones " - which obviously isn't relevant in Modern Ireland anymore

And how could he block a page that was created on Facebook by somebody else? Read the article before commenting.

• Advertisement

No i did not read the article.
    Why was the boy visiting this fake facebook page of himself then ?

To answer others - Of Course I don't think it's ok for a 10yo boy to be bullied, obviously not however it is simply a part of life.

some are bullies, others are bullied.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AEDIC wrote: »
    What the hell are you smoking?

That's pretty graceless. You could at the very least acknowledge that she has a valid point, even if you respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

South African accents are cool.

To answer others - Of Course I don't think it's ok for a 10yo boy to be bullied, obviously not however it is simply a part of life.

If you bothered reading it or any of the comments on this thread you would know that the boy did not visit the fb page. His parents were made aware of it by other people. So no he did not visit the page looking for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ronnie Binge

You need to read a bit more about this, there's a lot more involved than just a facebook page. There have been physical attacks on the child as well.

Sometimes, just sometimes, bullies need to be put in their place and attempting to intimidate a family out of an area is never acceptable.

Read the article or the blog and tell me what he put up with is "just part of life."

No child so young should suffer like that, and it's attitudes like yours (he should just man up, sticks and stones, it's part of life) that lead indirectly to bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

So depressing to hear about this and the lazy ignorant parents of the bullies simply wont care about the Gardai showing up at their house, as shown by the little feckers keeping up the torment.

Kids are usually a reflection of the parents so I've no doubt that these little bstards are probably going to end up with no respect for anyone or anything.

If I had ever had the Gardai at my house at 10/11 years old to discuss my alleged misbehaviour my parents would have made damn sure I never spoke ill again.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Just how much mileage can you get out of mocking someone's accent? And physically abusing the kid - Jesus.

Although I don't think I'm the only one who's being saying 'diplometik immunuteae' over and over since reading the OP.

See case study IR4: Irish person living in London since forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

It would influence is fucking accent I imagine. Probably not too much of a stretch to say white with a name like Dalton. Most likely not an Afrikaner accent either. They probably thought he was English.

They probably thought he was English? Oh right, fair enough then :rolleyes:

bwatson wrote: »

The Brits did it to us for years I had it done to me when I lived in London...c'est la vie...

• Advertisement

Wow...

So you think a ten-year old boy loves being bullied, do you?

You think a ten-year old boy should just shrug off verbal and physical abuse (there goes your "sticks and stones" "argument")?

As for the cyber-bullying: it wasn't a case of messages being sent to him, so blocking people didn't come into it (you didn't read the article, did you?). There was a facebook page set up making fun of him. Even if he never looked at the page, how do you think he would've felt about that? At ten years old?

Trolling or not, your post is one of the most ridiculous, obnoxious things I've ever seen.

You cannot shrug off Physical abuse
    I do not see why you can't shrug off Verbal Abuse though ?
    Cyber Bullying / Online bullying can be ignored / blocked or also shrugged off

So the real issue here is Physical abuse.

Please explain this to me Moo :
    "Sticks & Stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Did your parents teach this to you as a kid and what is it's meaning to you ?
    I am interested

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why is it fair enough to bully someone with an English accent?

I am interested

Yes, I've been taught that phrase and understand it.

Here's my answer to why this victim would probably find it difficult to simply shrug off sustained verbal abuse from all quarters:

He's ten.

veloc123 wrote: »
    The Brits did it to us for years I had it done to me when I lived in London...c'est la vie...

You were probably just shunned for being a dick

Mod note: poster banned

Yes, I've been taught that phrase and understand it.

Here's my answer to why this victim would probably find it difficult to simply shrug off sustained verbal abuse from all quarters:

He's ten.

Don't care what age he is. You learn the most of what you'll ever learn out of life in your first 2 years of being born.

Kids pick up things alot quickers than us adults. He needs to be taught this at a young age like anything else otherwise he might break down in future when a boss in a company gives out to him for not doing something.

The sticks & stones quote is taught to kids even younger than this so your post above is illogical to me.

You were probably just shunned for being a dick

Bad attitude there old chap...we all know the Brits are racist bastages...they are known for it throughout the world..

Don't care what age he is. You learn the most of what you'll ever learn out of life in your first 2 years of being born.

Kids pick up things alot quickers than us adults. He needs to be taught this at a young age like anything else otherwise he might break down in future when a boss in a company gives out to him for not doing something.

The sticks & stones quote is taught to kids even younger than this so your post above is illogical to me.

I seriously hope you're trolling.

I don't doubt that his parents taught him the "sticks and stones" lesson, but my point is that in this case, THAT DOESN'T MATTER!!

This child put up with serious abuse from several children (I'm assuming you still haven't read the article, so I'll tell you it included physical abuse, his house being pelted with eggs and facebook page dedicated to mocking him) over a long period of time.

"Sticks and stones" might help someone to shrug off a little name-calling, but to expect a ten-year to just "man up" and ignore this kind of stuff is absurd.

Bad attitude there old chap...we all know the Brits are racist bastages...they are known for it throughout the world..

I was just looking at your post history. You have a bit of an issue with the "limeys". Probably a bit like small man complex. I'm a Brit by the way - and you seem to be the only racist here. Which entire nationalities worldwide have the view that the British are inherently racist then? I'm fairly well travelled and its never something that has been brought up when conversing with foreign nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

humanji wrote: »
    A....In many cases of bullying, schools and parents can be quick to react. It's unfair to label all of Irish society because of this one case.....

Not entirely sure what you think happened quickly here. :confused:

It would be unfair if it was an isolated case, where the system fails the victims, but its not. Unfortunately.

I was just looking at your post history. You have a bit of an issue with the "limeys". Probably a bit like small man complex. I'm a Brit by the way - and you seem to be the only racist here. Which entire nationalities worldwide have the view that the British are inherently racist then? I'm fairly well travelled and its never something that has been brought up when conversing with foreign nationals.

Maybe it how you converse? ;)
    Basil: Listen, don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. [returns to the Germans] So! It's all forgotten now, and let's hear no more about it. So, that's two egg mayonnaise, a prawn Goebbels, a Hermann Goering, and four Colditz salads.
    Basil: Is there something wrong?
    Elder Herr: Will you stop talking about the war?
    Basil: Me! You started it!
    Elder Herr: We did not start it!
    Basil: Yes you did — you invaded Poland.

• Advertisement

I only know what I see and hear mate....thanks for doing the research on me it is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me since the Falklands War...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Ive never met a nice South African

stupid comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

No one, especially anyone from Kells can afford to get onto anyone about their accent, one of the strongest accents in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

vixdname wrote: »
    No one, especially anyone from Kells can afford to get onto anyone about their accent, one of the strongest accents in the country.

I'm from Dundalk and Kells is one of very few places whose accent I'm allowed to take the piss out of :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Meath people are in no position to judge others accents
    Dub who thinks all outside Dublin sound like they're from Cork?

Meath people must have the most neutral accent in the country...

I only know what I see and hear mate....thanks for doing the research on me it is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me since the Falklands War...

Oh ok, so its actually you that has the view that the British population are racist and not vast hordes worldwide?

What did you mean by the second part?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Teaching a kid "Sticks and stones" doesn't do **** all when the entire school is insulting him on a daily basis and isolating him. We are social animals, and his education is being affected by this, the kids bullying him should be expelled.

Would you say "Sticks and stones" if somebody threatened to beat the **** out of you? Because it's the same principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

haters gonna hate.

I am interested

And the award for the biggest pile of piss posted in one thread goes to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Auvers wrote: »
    stupid comment
    Only if you haven't read the thread.
    BopstonB wrote:
    Not entirely sure what you think happened quickly here.

It would be unfair if it was an isolated case, where the system fails the victims, but its not. Unfortunately.
    I'm not talking about this case. I mean that using this terrible case as the standard for Ireland is a little unfair. Bullying isn't always ignored and in a lot of cases it's acted upon. Not nearly enough times, to be fair, but I'd say more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ive never met a nice South African
    Two words:

Charlize Theron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

He should man up.

He should man up.

Some people on this thread should grow up.

humanji wrote: »
    ...I'm not talking about this case. I mean that using this terrible case as the standard for Ireland is a little unfair. Bullying isn't always ignored and in a lot of cases it's acted upon. Not nearly enough times, to be fair, but I'd say more often than not.

... and I was talking about in Irish Society in general, not just bullying. Enforcement, is low and falling. people don't fear enforcement of the law and victims aren't protected by it. This case is systematic of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

...The family moved from South Africa to Kells, Co Meath, in 2010.

There is the problem. Sh1thole. Sort of Twin Peaks Ireland's version.

Some people on this thread should grow up.

Yes quite including those who take internet forums posts too seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I think the most worrying thing is that the school decided cyber bullying was beyond their remit. This is nonsense when it is solely children from the school bullying another school kid. Not acceptable and they will have to deal with it eventually.

I think the most worrying thing is that the school decided cyber bullying was beyond their remit. This is nonsense when it is solely children from the school bullying another school kid. Not acceptable and they will have to deal with it eventually.

I can see their point though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What this boy has experienced,as outlined by his parents, is awful.However the school can't control content on facebook or what happens after school or outside of school hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sykk wrote: »
    Dub who thinks all outside Dublin sound like they're from Cork?

It's far from Dublin that I grew up
    Most certainly not a Dub

And nobody thinks everyone outside Dublin speak like Corkonians

And now by responding I'm taking this thread off topic

And during your first two years on this planet you learned to be an unsympathetic prick that finds it acceptable that people are made miserable by others. You have some ****ing check. I hope someday you know how it feels to be treated like this kid, but sure you'll probably shrug it off. Your a sick individual if you think that is acceptable behaviour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement