Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boy bullied out of school over accent?

Options
  • 03-04-2012 3:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Parents of a 10-year-old boy claim he has been bullied out of school due to racial taunting over his accent.
    The boy was injured and regularly reduced to tears because of bullying on the premises. He has also been subjected to cyber-bullying The family moved from South Africa to Kells, Co Meath, in 2010.

His parents took him out of the school after the board of management failed to act to deal with the incidents outside the school.

Gerry Dalton said he had now taken his son out of St Colmcille’s National School for his own protection.

The school declined to comment on the issue

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/boy-10-bullied-out-of-school-over-accent-188605.html#ixzz1qzGzSyY7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

So what's your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Ive never met a nice South African

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

It's terrible. I remember when a new lad came to school, if he was say, American or German or Dutch it was bad enough, but if he came from England, say no more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

You mustn't get out much. Not wrong with women of Dutch extraction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Poor kid. The sad thing is, I'm sure some of the kids involved weren't completely horrible; it's just very easy for them to get caught up with the group and do nasty things they wouldn't normally, and things escalate from there.
    Kid has a different accent; a few kids make fun of it and normally it'd end there, but sometimes for no particular reason it turns into a much bigger deal.

Also, it's not exactly fair to say no South Africans are nice. Apart from the obvious generalisation, it's a bit unfair to lump a ten-year old boy in with that, and at least partially blame him for being bullied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Meath people are in no position to judge others accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

...and that's not bloody surprising man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

children can be cruel little shites in their own way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

was the boy a white or a black South African do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

You mustn't get out much. Not wrong with women of Dutch extraction :)

its the title of a song akshally

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just how much mileage can you get out of mocking someone's accent? And physically abusing the kid - Jesus.

Although I don't think I'm the only one who's being saying 'diplometik immunuteae' over and over since reading the OP.

What fucking odds does that make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Just how much mileage can you get out of mocking someone's accent? And physically abusing the kid - Jesus.

Although I don't think I'm the only one who's being saying 'diplometik immunuteae' over and over since reading the OP.

winds neck
    "it's just been revoked"
    bang :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Here is the blog
    http://threelittledogs.blogspot.com/2012/03/parents-go-public-on-bullying-of-child.html

To whom it may concern,

We wish to bring to your attention the following sequence of disturbing events to which our family and especially our youngest son have been subjected in recent months in Kells. Co Meath, Ireland. What will emerge below is a damning indictment of racial and xenophobic intolerance in modern Ireland.

By way of background, we relocated to Ireland in June 2010 from South Africa following a brutal family murder and ongoing violence in South African society. Gerard is an Irish citizen who lived in SA for several years, his wife and children are born and bred South Africans.
    Below is a sequence of events to date:

-Sept 2011 - Son starts at new school, having experienced racial bullying at previous school (very small rural school in Co Meath, Ireland)

I think he is white, not that it should matter.

@ keith, sorry forgot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

There are 2 traditions of white south african the Dutch and the English, the Dutch tend to be very forward, a tad extreme but the English tradition are sound. But like everywhere else there is good and bad.

But one thing I would say, I love the South African accent it is so rich. I like it a lot better then the Meath accent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nodin wrote: »
    What fucking odds does that make?

It would influence is fucking accent I imagine. Probably not too much of a stretch to say white with a name like Dalton. Most likely not an Afrikaner accent either. They probably thought he was English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

How many have you met? Doesn't give dickheads a reason to bully the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

'Gardaí are aware of the case, but cannot take action as the alleged bullies are under 12 and below the age of criminal responsibility.'

ermmm, the parents arent though.... charge those feckers for not controlling the bullying little ****es.

How many have you met? Doesn't give dickheads a reason to bully the kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

It would influence is fucking accent I imagine. Probably not too much of a stretch to say white with a name like Dalton. Most likely not an Afrikaner accent either. They probably thought he was English.

yes because white South African sounds exactly like English..... :rolleyes:

Truly shocking.
    How can parents rare such little animals.

I would be so horrified if my child did anything like that to another child. :o

He'd have an "accent" regardless of what colour he was.

This is from their blog - doesn't sound like 'Brits out' to me.
    "What came out then was the fact that these boys and others have been racially abusing our son for months, calling him a “F**king foreigner” and mocking and imitating his accent. "

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

thets not bloody seprising man

AEDIC wrote: »
    yes because white South African sounds exactly like English..... :rolleyes:

Yes they do, it's very similar to the English accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A society is measured by how it treats its most vulnerable.
    As such I think this is a reflection of Irish society in general, where the perpetrators are more protected than their victims.

Nodin wrote: »
    He'd have an "accent" regardless of what colour he was.

This is from their blog - doesn't sound like 'Brits out' to me.
    "What came out then was the fact that these boys and others have been racially abusing our son for months, calling him a “F**king foreigner” and mocking and imitating his accent. "

my guess is they are white, because if they were black it would have created such an awful stink, the principal would have stepped in before it got out of hand.

my guess is they are white, because if they were black it would have created such an awful stink, the principal would have stepped in before it got out of hand.

I was wondering why you started the thread....it's some stab at a "rights for whites" effort, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

so racist:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Your no better than the bully's.

Advertisement