Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEER REVIEWS

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah, heard mixed reports on Delirium. Palm is lovely and a good transition beer from the Blondes to the more darker stuff. The Palm in the pic isn't the regular one, it's the Christmas special brewed one which is very strong flavoured, almost nutty.

Gordon is a 10% and quite the arse kicker. I have never drank a lot of it but I'd say the hangover would be almighty. :p

Speaking of Palm. :D

Palm beer, It is an amber beer, kinda mid way between blonde and brown. It is 5.4% and is a lovely transition beer to go up the colours. Check out their niffty website in the link.

beers061.jpg

I like this beer and have drank a fair bit of it. Cost about 75c for a 33cl can.

Worth it and would recommend.

7/10

Next up is N'ice Chouffe

. A lot of Belgian breweries bring out a Winter/Christmas beer and this is one of them. It is a strong dark beer, 10% and full of flavour. Unlike the other high alcohol content beers, it doesn't leave a strong after taste.

beers062.jpg

In a bar it cost around €3 for a 33cl glass, it can only be got in draught and 750ml bottles.

N'ice Chouffe is a drink I would have before a session but I couldn't see myself drinking it all night. That said, it is a nice treat and is only available for a limited time per year, so that gives it extra points in my book. Think Cadbury's Creme egg, back in the day, when you'd eat as many as possible in the few weeks they were around tongue.png

7/10

Next up is Hopus. It is a Blonde beer 8.3%. It is strong to the taste and very flavoured.Costs about €3.50 for a 33cl bottle in a bar. How ever about it's taste, it's all about how it is served.

beers063.jpg

We walk into a bar, wall to wall with fridges. My mate recommends I try it so I order it. We are told to sit and the bar lady drops them over, she cracks open the bottle with a loud pop and pours the beer with earnest, The very last few drops of the bottle is the yeast sediment.Which is then poured into a shot glass. You can knock it back, or normally you pour it into your glass to strengthen the beer.

I enjoyed the whole ritual of it.

Good taste, nice ceremony. Enjoyable package.

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Hommel%20bier%202012.JPG

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/634/1692

I was looking for a new beer to replace/rival Kwak. This is not it,..............overrated beer IMO.
    Ok but not one I would try again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I'm liking this at the moment and @ 2.25 a 500cl bottle, you couldn't go wrong:

paulaner-hefe-weissbier-naturtrc3bcb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Not a big fan of paul langer tbh, find it a bit too fruity. Erdinger knocks its socks off.

side note - Have you guys tried molson canadian yet? It's being advertised like hell over here and I'd heard good reports about it, so I went out and bought a fridge pack of it. I'm sure a few cold ones out in the sun would be great, a bit like Skol, but as a sit-at-home one or two type beer, it's flavourless ****e.

• Advertisement

Gweedling wrote: »
    Not a big fan of paul langer tbh, find it a bit too fruity. Erdinger knocks its socks off.

side note - Have you guys tried molson canadian yet? It's being advertised like hell over here and I'd heard good reports about it, so I went out and bought a fridge pack of it. I'm sure a few cold ones out in the sun would be great, a bit like Skol, but as a sit-at-home one or two type beer, it's flavourless ****e.

Don't find Paulaner fruity but it there isn't much depth to it either. I've tried Canadian over the Summer and it's absolutely desperate- worse than Bud if that's possible.

Goes to show, get the marketing right and a big distributor to push it into every bar in the country. Then you'll have a beer people will buy. Not impressed with it one bit. Cross between bud and carling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Don't find Paulaner fruity but it there isn't much depth to it either. I've tried Canadian over the Summer and it's absolutely desperate- worse than Bud if that's possible.

Ah it's not so bad. Basically a heinkien/carlsberg type effort with a bit more hops thrown in. Not worth the premium price tag in supermarkets but if it was a choice of bud or molson canadian I'd go for the latter hands down.

Traquair+House+Ale+090814.jpg

Tried this one tonight. Its ok nothing wrong with it, but not really to my taste. Sipped it at room temperature ,I see some people online as saying it might be better served cold, but I'm not mad about cold ale.
    Imo Ale is better at room temperature.

Also tried the Canadian lately ,but just found it to be a mediocre beer .Still hav'nt found anything to replace Kwak .
    My local is selling Utopias limited edition (2013) for anyone interested. Its only €200 a bottle.I tried the 2009 edition and liked it big time.
    Might ask the wife for a early xmas present.:D

Traquair+House+Ale+090814.jpg

Tried this one tonight. Its ok nothing wrong with it, but not really to my taste. Sipped it at room temperature ,I see some people online as saying it might be better served cold, but I'm not mad about cold ale.
    Imo Ale is better at room temperature.

Where did you buy it/available Paddy?

• Advertisement

Where did you buy it/available Paddy?

Mchugh's off licence,malahide road ,Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Mchugh's off licence,malahide road ,Dublin
    Kilbarrack road off the howth/coast road?

Zulu wrote: »
    Kilbarrack road off the howth/coast road?

Zulu they might do it as well, but not sure.

There's 2 of them.See link below.

http://www.mchughs.ie/t/findus

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nellie1980

Two of my favourite beers of all Time and my favourite draught has to be the Black Stuff a pint of Arthur Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Can the Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier be bought in Ireland? I'm based in Limerick City.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

YFlyer wrote: »
    Can the Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier be bought in Ireland? I'm based in Limerick City.

Cheers

Most big off licences appear to stock it, Lidl do offer with it from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

oblivious wrote: »
    Most big off licences appear to stock it, Lidl do offer with it from time to time.

Cheers for that. Will give LIDL a call tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

Got a cool 30th birthday present of 16 bottles of beers, 2 in all different styles. Made for a festive 2 weeks

Brooklyn Brass East India Pale Ale – 5/10 6.9%, not great
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale – 8/10 Winner
    13 guns – 7.8 very nice but not Sierra
    Franziskaner Weissbier – 7.9
    Brew Dog Dead Pony Club – 7.5, meh
    Sleeman Honey Brown Lager – 7/10 – had nicer honey beers
    Sleeman original – 3/10 – forget it
    Samuel Adams Winter Lager – 7.5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

janiejones wrote: »
    Got a cool 30th birthday present of 16 bottles of beers, 2 in all different styles. Made for a festive 2 weeks

Brooklyn Brass East India Pale Ale – 5/10 6.9%, not great
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale – 8/10 Winner
    13 guns – 7.8 very nice but not Sierra
    Franziskaner Weissbier – 7.9
    Brew Dog Dead Pony Club – 7.5, meh
    Sleeman Honey Brown Lager – 7/10 – had nicer honey beers
    Sleeman original – 3/10 – forget it
    Samuel Adams Winter Lager – 7.5

had sierra way back when in stubbie bottles it is nice, so enjoy 3 of them in against the grain on tap, satisfied but 4 would have been too many

Advertisement