Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed Camera Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I voted Yes and agree with the above. SteveC post.

Being able to drive without looking at the speedo every few minutes on long distances would be nice. So to only have to do this when speed cameras are about, which is in black spots or high risk areas, would make my journeys much more relaxing.

I think people who are voting No because they don't want speed cameras are thowing away a vote and wasting their own time. Speed cameras are going to be around for a long time. So if we all recognise this horrible truth and move on towards a single ideal way for using them, then the better off we will all be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kbannon wrote: »
    AFAIK toll operators can't and don't act as police. However, I have heard of the police standing at toll booths and doing this.
    AFAIK this happens in France.
    If you get from one toll booth to the next too quickly it's an automatic fine. You take a ticket when you enter and present it when you leave and pay for the distance travelled, that way the system knows how long it took to travel between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

SteveC wrote: »
    If you get from one toll booth to the next too quickly it's an automatic fine. You take a ticket when you enter and present it when you leave and pay for the distance travelled, that way the system knows how long it took to travel between them.

Best idea would be to conveniently lose the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

This is what I meant, and it was France I was talking about too. I had been told about it before I went but I only did the trip once so had nothing to compare it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In almost all instances the speed limits are too slow for the road anyway so catching people over the limit is pointless. .

Speed limits cant be set right at the maximum a road can handle. Otherwise people breakign the speed limit would end up in ditches. Having the speed limit below the road capacity still allows for errors and speeding. It doesnt give you the right to travel as fast as you like or feel the speed limit should be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I haven't driven in France since 2006 but it definitely wasn't in operation then. I frequently drove 'slightly' over the speed limits there and there was never anything said.
    However, they have been cracking down on speeding in recent years there.
    I still can't find anything online about this type of enforcement.

Maybe the french time people between tolls, maybe they dont either way I dont see what giving out tickets for braking the speed limits on such safe roads is going to gain(other than annoy people). Why is the whole world so obsessed with speed limits set back when cars could hardly reach these speeds. Ok I know drivers in Germany are very competent but as was mentioned there is no difference between the accident rate on limited and unlimited autobahns and for instance I would imagine the motorways in France are very close to the quality of the autobahns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Being able to drive without looking at the speedo every few minutes on long distances would be nice.

...it would also be grounds for me, if I could, to take your licence off you, and send you back to driving lessons. Driving with undue car and attention, includes the information about your own position, driving. Speed, distance, position. If you're not doing that, you should not be allowed to drive.

As for the subject in general - SPECS can't read no plates that aren't legible. So, unless cars come fitted overnight with no-plate washers/wipers, it's a complete waste of time. 3 miles down my road will render your plate completely illegible - big and all as the font is.

As for the advantages of knowing where fixed camera's are, and the speeding up/slowing down phenomenon, this is proof that fixed camera's are a safety liability. That type of driving, referred to on the Continent as 'accordian driving', promotes people accelerating quickly on exit of controlled areas - often to the detriment of incidental traffic and pedestrians in the vicinity (few enough people can judge speed of an oncoming item accurately, a much smaller number again an accelerating item........
    Entering controlled areas promotes the reverse, and rear end accidents, and skidding accidents are very, very common. Last minute braking, and the human nature to be closer to the car in front than is naturally good for you, sees to that. You'll find that accident no's in the vicinity of such camera's will increase often in stark contrast to when the area was uncontrolled at all.

As we know, speed does not kill. Stupidity, and stupid/inappropriate speed, does. But the powers-that-be don't seem to have the intelligence to understand the difference.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...it would also be grounds for me, if I could, to take your licence off you, and send you back to driving lessons. Driving with undue car and attention, includes the information about your own position, driving. Speed, distance, position. If you're not doing that, you should not be allowed to drive.

What are you talking about. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning:D I'm aware of my speed, distance, position etc. Why do you think I'm not? Strange old post. I probably couldn't tell you my exact speed, but I can easily tell to the nearest 7kph what speed I'm at, which is enough to find myself with a nice speed tick.

But as you said "Stupidity, and stupid/inappropriate speed" kills. I drove to work at 5am every morning and come home at 6pm every evening. I would be quite tired and generally in a bad mood depending on the day. But every minute of the journey I'm thinking about what you just said, which is the first piece of advice a friend gave me when I started driving. "Once you realise everyone else on the road are stupid gob****es you'll be fine". So I would take your post directed at me as a made up personal insult but I reckon you just let your fingers type before your brain caught up.

Advertisement