Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

If the Sentinels are around in 73 (after First Class) then how come we don't see them in the main trilogy ? Another plot hole or what ... I hate time travel stories

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Finally!!! We get to see some actual Sentinel action. If memory serves correctly, weren't they hinted at in a previous movie? Perhaps the first X-Men, but I might have that wrong ...

They were in the Danger Room in the Last Stand

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

McLoughlin wrote: »
    If the Sentinels are around in 73 (after First Class) then how come we don't see them in the main trilogy ? Another plot hole or what ... I hate time travel stories

I'm gonna guess that this is an alternate universe, considering Trask was played by Bill Duke in the Last Stand, who's just about about as far from Peter Dinklage as you can get

As Chinpool pointed out.. they were in the Danger Room in the Last Stand (I had a feeling it wasn't the first movie), so perhaps they were around, but just not introduced at that point. Or maybe they were no longer there at that point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

There's been a load of stuff released, including a timeline of the evolvement of the sentinels, culminating in the release of the 'mark x' model in 2020.

I'm guessing the 70s team defeat the original models after they turn on both mutants and humans. Production is then stopped and the sentinels are consigned to history until something happens that results in Trask Industries producing the x model.

The x model decimates the mutant race in 2020 which results in Bishop jumping back in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

37r32Pa.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those wanting a better look at the Sentinels, Bryan Singer tweeted a shot of him posing beside one. It's nice to see they actually built a full-scale (animatronic?) version of the robots, so clearly it won't all be CGI:

https://twitter.com/BryanSinger/status/362993850438000640/
    As Chinpool pointed out.. they were in the Danger Room in the Last Stand (I had a feeling it wasn't the first movie), so perhaps they were around, but just not introduced at that point. Or maybe they were no longer there at that point?

Their inclusion in that Danger Room scene was nothing more than a sop to the comic fans in the middle of a cheap, illogical bait & switch sequence. I wouldn't count that as an appearance tbh; I remember watching that scene in the cinema and quickly realising what an awful film this was going to be. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rumours are that 'Future Past' will
    erase Last Stand from the canon using some timey-wimey?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

pixelburp wrote: »
    For those wanting a better look at the Sentinels, Bryan Singer tweeted a shot of him posing beside one. It's nice to see they actually built a full-scale (animatronic?) version of the robots, so clearly it won't all be CGI:

https://twitter.com/BryanSinger/status/362993850438000640/

Their inclusion in that Danger Room scene was nothing more than a sop to the comic fans in the middle of a cheap, illogical bait & switch sequence. I wouldn't count that as an appearance tbh; I remember watching that scene in the cinema and quickly realising what an awful film this was going to be. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rumours are that 'Future Past' will

Since Peter Dinklage is playing Bolivar Trask, who was played by Bill Duke in 3, I'd say it's more than likely 3 will be erased. Possibly even the whole trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can they even do that now after Wolverine 2 because its pretty clear he did kill Jean

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rumours are that 'Future Past' will
    Please please let this be true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Apparently its more a case of righting some wrongs then erasing completely such as giving cyclops a proper shot & showing a properly powerful rogue.

Problem with doing that, is that it would make a lot of The Wolverine pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Problem with doing that, is that it would make a lot of The Wolverine pointless.

Which would be... good, no?

Which would be... good, no?

Much as I felt the Wolverine was a disappointment I did like the manner in which they portrayed Wolverine and his inner demons. There's a lot to be said for ignoring The Last Stand though I do like that so many of the characters were killed off. Hopefully Singer will do something interesting with this and concentrate once more on story over spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I like the Sentinal designs, but the heads do cut a little close to the nu-Cylons, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Really sounds like he's cramming ALOT into it.
    Hope the film doesn't suffer from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,143 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It would surely depend on the way the time travel stuff works on the characters involved. if they still remember the original time line, then everything that did happen would still have happened for them - so Logan would still have experienced all he did including
    killing Jean
    and the issues he had over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Really sounds like he's cramming ALOT into it.
    Hope the film doesn't suffer from it.

If there's one director you'd trust to handle this movie with its huge cast and complex plot it's Singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bacchus wrote: »
    If there's one director you'd trust to handle this movie with its huge cast and complex plot it's Singer.

There's plenty of directors I'd trust much more with it tbh. He's got a few decent films under his belt but I don't really get where all the love comes from tbh.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of directors I'd trust much more with it tbh. He's got a few decent films under his belt but I don't really get where all the love comes from tbh.

X-Men, X-2 & First Class were all a cut above any of the other X-men movies and their spin offs. He just gets the balance right when it comes to the X-Men. Safe hands imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

X-Men, X-2 & First Class were all a cut above any of the other X-men movies and their spin offs. He just gets the balance right when it comes to the X-Men. Safe hands imo.

But he didn't direct First Class, Matthew Vaughn did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Since then, he has made Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Otacon wrote: »
    Since then, he has made Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer...

Yea but to be fair what director hasn't made a bad movie? His work on X-Men and X2 shows he can handle the X-Men universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm not entirely convinced that they have shown that though. As much as I love them, X2 especially, they've always come across to me slightly as Wolverine feat. the X-Men. I don't think they ever really showed him handling a large cast particularly well. There's a touch of that this time as well, with the reveal he'll be the one going back in time.

I'm just naturally worried whenever I see these massive casts as well, and this one is really big. There was a period of time where there a new member or 2 was revealed every week. It can just make the movie feel too full.

Nothing would please me more if he could pull if off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Loughc wrote: »
    Yea but to be fair what director hasn't made a bad movie?

Matthew Vaughn?

X-Men: First Class
    Kick-Ass
    Stardust
    Layer Cake

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Matthew Vaughn?

Kick-Ass
    Stardust
    Layer Cake

You win, I've nothing to say back to that. Well played sir, well played. :o

Deano7788 wrote: »
    But he didn't direct First Class, Matthew Vaughn did.

Oops yeah, but he was producer on it so it's only other X-Men movie he's had an input to. My point being that the X-Men movies he's been involved with so far have been far superior to the rest. With him at the helm, I think this could be a great X-Men movie.

Regarding Superman Returns. I quite enjoyed that but it was far too wrapped up in trying to be like the Donner films.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Matthew Vaughn?

Kick-Ass
    Stardust
    Layer Cake

Kick Ass was pretty meh to be honest. Never got the hype about it. It seemed a very young girl cursing seemed to be its ultimate aim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Watched the first X-Men last night for the first time in ages and it's awful. X2 saved the bacon big style. Singer has in no way shown that he can handle the big cast. X-Men was terrible, save some cool moments. X2 is defo an enjoyable flick but can not be forgiven for dispatching Cyclops and Prof X so early on and not utilising two of the main characters of the universe properly. I hope DOFP is great, trust me, but Singer is definitely not the *best* man for the job.

Advertisement