Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beating his dog

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

get this. my freind was at a well known supermarket today in the car park when he heard a dog yelping he looked into a van and there were two guys one was puching his dog in the ribs. [ a lab]. my freind shouted over to them and ran over to tell them to stop. the guy went to punch my mate but missed and got knocked out soon after by my mate, the guards were called and it was my mate who got into trouble. NOT THE PEOPLE BEATING THE DOG..:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sounds like your make assaulted somebody if he didn't get hit. Dog getting a dig kind of goes out the window when you assault a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

cheers to your friend, most people would have just ignored it. what happened to the dog do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

it was self defence. and he was protecting the dog

deereidy wrote: »
    cheers to your friend, most people would have just ignored it. what happened to the dog do you know?
    the usual he ended going back home with the 2 retards

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

pokertalk wrote: »
    the usual he ended going back home with the 2 retards

yeah, well if you got the reg you could tip off the guards or something maybe if you wanted to, if they have other pets they could be treating them badly too

• Advertisement

sure the guards came when the muppits were still there but they did nothing because the other guy had the damage to his face. nothing about the dog i mean or the fact that the bloke went for my mate first

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Well done to your friend....I would have done the same even though I'm a girl, but it's the one thing that makes me see red...red..red.

I hope he's not in too much trouble. Hope you got the reg.

Eibhin wrote: »
    Well done to your friend....I would have done the same even though I'm a girl, but it's the one thing that makes me see red...red..red.

I hope he's not in too much trouble. Hope you got the reg.
    the 2 lads were still there when the guards arrived so id say they got the reg.dont know what trouble he is in .dont think they charged him

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

hopefully your mate will learn not to be punching people

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Yeah and hopefully the dog will learn not to behave so badly as to make his owner punch him......

Are you joking wetdogsmell......anyone who does that to a dog deserves to be punched at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Your friend should go back and make an official report to the guards. In a heated exchange like that you can't blame the guards for making a mistake. He should follow up officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Bravo to your friend. Hopefully there are witnesses on hand to prove his side of the story correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

Eibhin wrote: »
    Yeah and hopefully the dog will learn not to behave so badly as to make his owner punch him......

Are you joking wetdogsmell......anyone who does that to a dog deserves to be punched at the very least.

unfortunatly for your friend assault on a human is taken alot more seriously than assault on an animal, and by assaulting the person instead of reporting it he has lost all chance of any action being taken by the gaurds, as he would no longer be seen as a relyable witness

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

unfortunatly for your friend assault on a human is taken alot more seriously than assault on an animal, and by assaulting the person instead of reporting it he has lost all chance of any action being taken by the gaurds, as he would no longer be seen as a relyable witness
    Actually the material difference here is that the OP's friend was attacked before he punched the other guy. It doesn't matter that the other guy missed. Of course, its his word against two others and we don't know what level of defence he used.

Regardless of what happens to the OP's mate, he's still free to report the two guys for animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Read the orginal post. He was defending himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

If the security camera confirms your mates story, he could push for an assault charge against your man taking a swing at him.

...if the security camera confirms your mates story

SELF DEFENCE he did not swing the first punch the other guy did and missed . but the fact that the guards done nothing to investigate the dog beating is what pisses me off the most

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

The guards won't investigate a cruelty case unless you actually go and make a statement. Phoning them or telling them 'I saw a man beating his dog' is useless unless you actually make a formal statement, as far as I know (and I'm obviously no legal expert!). Might be worth looking into doing so, as the gardai obviously have a record of the names of the other guys involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Your friend went over to stop individuals who were in the process of committing an act of animal cruelty. Whilst doing so, he was attacked, he then logically and instinctively defended himself against a further onslaught - self defence.

Make sure your mate follows up the complaint of animal cruelty. I think he himself will have nothing to worry about. All I'll say is, that's a good friend you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

He needs to be insistent on the Guards prosecuting for animal cruelty. He should advise the Guards that he may make an official complaint over their reluctance to act.

I dread seeing something like that as I have no idea if I could control my emotions.

• Advertisement

Yes he should of ignored it, reported it to the Guards & nothing would of happened. I hope that other people don't adopt that attitude if you are being attacked in the street. This guy tried to help. He tried to prevent a crime, risked personal injury, as well as protecting the dog & all you can do is criticise him ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

seamus wrote: »
    Actually the material difference here is that the OP's friend was attacked before he punched the other guy.

sorry to be pedantic but the friend wasn't struck and went on to assault a stranger who he alleges was striking a dog.

Yes sounds good in theory and it is probably the fact that he went over, was told to f_ck off, few choice words, los of temper, personal space encroachment and scuffle ensued.

Either there is CCTV to back up his claim of 'first punch thrown by other party' or he risks an assault prosecution and if these guys in a van were caravan dwellers, a personal claim for damages to follow.

Best advice - phone the guards and ISPCA.

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes he should of ignored it, reported it to the Guards & nothing would of happened. I hope that other people don't adopt that attitude if you are being attacked in the street. This guy tried to help. He tried to prevent a crime, risked personal injury, as well as protecting the dog & all you can do is criticise him ?.

totally agree disco
    there should be more people like him that step in for an animal in trouble. he said today the other guy was holding the dog by the ears and screeming into his face. the hole thing was about5 seconds long the guy went to hit him and missed ending up hitting him in the arm and my mate ounched him twice and it was over
    i will say it to him tomorrow to follow up on it not the assault on him but the one on the dog .he said it was a pretty old lab too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

the guy went to punch my mate but missed and got knocked out soon after by my mate
    the 2 lads were still there when the guards arrived so id say they got the reg.

Sounds like the lad wasn't too knocked out (if ya know what I mean), your mate is probably a spoofer.

And either way, hitting someone, regardless of the situation is rarely seen to be a good thing by the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

He needs to be insistent on the Guards prosecuting for animal cruelty. He should advise the Guards that he may make an official complaint over their reluctance to act.

I dread seeing something like that as I have no idea if I could control my emotions.

Exactly so here; the only way we cope is to take numbers etc of the car, drive past and report it. Red rage time else.

NB the guards often simply tell us to call the SPCA etc.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Exactly so here; the only way we cope is to take numbers etc of the car, drive past and report it. Red rage time else.

NB the guards often simply tell us to call the SPCA etc.

If you report a crime, any crime, log all the details such as the date, time & name of the Guard. Be polite but make it clear that you expect them to act & that you will refer the matter higher if they do not do so. Advise them that you will be contacting them on a regular basis for updates. You shouldn't have to do this but in reality you do.

Sounds like the lad wasn't too knocked out (if ya know what I mean), your mate is probably a spoofer.

And either way, hitting someone, regardless of the situation is rarely seen to be a good thing by the guards.

makikomi you dont have to be in a coma to be knocked
    out he was on the ground for 10 seconds .my point is the guards should automatically call the spca for them to make a note of it for an investigation and then the guards deal with the human assault no matter who caused it.then the spca can carry out there end of it.

makikomi you dont have to be in a coma to be knocked
    out he was on the ground for 10 seconds .my point is the guards should automatically call the spca for them to make a note of it for an investigation and then the guards deal with the human assault no matter who caused it.then the spca can carry out there end of it.

The SPCA have no need to be involved - all they would do is call the Guards

The SPCA have no need to be involved - all they would do is call the Guards
    it all sounds pretty pointless disco the guards do nothing at the time he rings the spca and they ring the guards and then they do nothing again and even if they did the guy punching the dog would probably get nothing for it. maybe if these things were looked upon more promptly and treated more severly less people would think twice about. its a pretty lazy system

• Advertisement

it all sounds pretty pointless disco the guards do nothing at the time he rings the spca and they ring the guards and then they do nothing again and even if they did the guy punching the dog would probably get nothing for it. maybe if these things were looked upon more promptly and treated more severly less people would think twice about. its a pretty lazy system

It is appalling but the voters of Ireland won't vote for anything better or support a proper nationwide ISPCA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement