Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

** All things Debs **

• 16-01-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

How much are yours? Ours are €65 but people are complaining.. I thought it was a very reasonable price compared to other prices I've heard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

How much are yours? Ours are €65 but people are complaining.. I thought it was a very reasonable price compared to other prices I've heard.

€65?!?!? That's ridiculously cheap. Mine is like €120ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

Ours were €40!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

For €120 I'd be expecting Michelin standard food and Coldplay playing after dinner! Is there something particularly special about it for that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Not too sure, think they're 60 here as well. Would have cost less if it wasn't for the fact that our year is tiny and a lot of people from the year will probably end up going together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Ours are €80. Not the worst I suppose. €120 seems a bit excessive :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Is the €120 each or does it cover you and your date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Ours are €60.
    To be honest I'm more worried about finding a date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

€120 per ticket or €60 each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

hahaha what date :p
    I know for a fact they are trying to reduce it a bit and we get our deposit back too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ours are €60.

Don't take your cousin . It never works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ours are €60.

Get involved in something next summer after the exams like volunteering or a summer camp. Great place for finding dates ;) what part of the country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Had mine I'm September, I found the debs expensive and not worth it.
    Ticket - €75
    Suit - €120
    Limo - €88.50 each 4 people.

Had mine I'm September, I found the debs expensive and not worth it.
    Ticket - €75
    Suit - €120
    Limo - €88.50 each 4 people.

There will be no limo for us. I think we're getting a mini bus :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Well its on the last week of july and pretty desperate now haha, is anyone on the same boat as me or? Not that confident type of guy asking but i'm pretty sure if i asked i would get one :rolleyes:

I went last September with out a date. Quite a few of my mates did. It was great crack. We got a limo, in it was my and my 5 mates. Only two brought dates. You'll have a good time either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I went to two debs back in the day, think I talked to my date for about 15 minutes and then shagged off for the craic with the lads. Dates are over rated and expensive.

Plenty of people go without a date if you wanted to do that. If you really want a date I'm sure at this stage if you asked someone who didn't have a date either they would gladly go with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I'm a girl and I don't have a date, and all my friends do :p I'm too shy to ask someone and the person I was going to ask asked someone else. I'm not actually worried, my mam is just disappointed that I'll have no one to be beside in the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

AulBiddy & LuckyDude.... Love is in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

In the same boat! Know how it feels :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

I'm in the same boat and my debs is mid August so i'm getting worried haha

hate it when people were saying like 3 months ago, oh you still dont have a date yet better get one soon lol..

hate it when people were saying like 3 months ago, oh you still dont have a date yet better get one soon lol..

The debs was one of the worst events I've ever attended. You will really miss out on nothing.
    Cheap venues, hotel food, expensive suits/ dresses and tickets = over rated
    You might not see this now.
    Some people will bring their partners to the debs. Most people will be with their date for the pictures etc at the start and then fcuk off with their friends for the rest of the night. It might seem like a big deal now , but trust me it isn't.
    Do yourself a favour and stop worrying about it. Look forward to college balls next year which are much more enjoyable.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The debs was one of the worst events I've ever attended. You will really miss out on nothing.
    Some people will bring their partners to the debs. Most people will be with their date for the pictures etc at the start and then fcuk off with their friends for the rest of the night. It might seem like a big deal now , but trust me it isn't.
    Do yourself a favour and stop worrying about it. Look forward to college balls next year which are much more enjoyable.

ok thanks
    and what really does happen at a debs then, im confused.
    so pictures first and what you mean partners **** off somewhere else?
    what do people usually do for the rest of the day :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

If anyone is dateless and wants to go with someone, just ask them. I know that it's hard, but if you don't ask someone, there is no chance that they'll say yes to you. Furthermore, if you're even sort of close with the person and both of you are currently lone wolves, they'll more than likely be delighted to go with you. Even if they say no, you'll feel better in the long run just for trying. If they're the love of your life, it obviously wasn't meant to be and you can move on. If they're just a friend, they probably won't say no, but if they do, you wouldn't have a good night with them anyway.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Good luck all.:) And as stated, it's definitely not the end of the world if you are on your own.

ok thanks
    and what really does happen at a debs then, im confused.
    so pictures first and what you mean partners **** off somewhere else?
    what do people usually do for the rest of the day :O

Some people will bring their boyfriend or girl friend..
    Most people will bring people they asked just to have a date.
    After all the formalities people usually separate back into their normal group of friends.
    Even if you don't have a date then you can still spend most the night with your friends..
    Hope this clears it up.

What happens at the debs?
    Lots of drinking and waiting for food. Then music and dancing( and more drinking)..
    Then bus journey home.
    Then people sober up and complain about it all..
    Then you realise how overrated it is.

Don't worry about it. It will be ok.

A97 wrote: »
    If anyone is dateless and wants to go with someone, just ask them. I know that it's hard, but if you don't ask someone, there is no chance that they'll say yes to you. Furthermore, if you're even sort of close with the person and both of you are currently lone wolves, they'll more than likely be delighted to go with you. Even if they say no, you'll feel better in the long run just for trying. If they're the love of your life, it obviously wasn't meant to be and you can move on. If they're just a friend, they probably won't say no, but if they do, you wouldn't have a good night with them anyway.

I'd echo this thought. If there's someone who you think you may like to ask just ask them. It took me ages to finally ask the person I wanted (needed a bit of encouragement from our good friend alcohol). Even though she said she had asked someone else I felt much better for just asking. I felt bad for a second or two but then realised there's no point in worrying about it all. In the end things changed and I'm getting to go with her anyway :)

It really is over rated. ****ty food, watered down pints, then the cost of your suit, limo ect. I'm happy i went and experienced it. But i wouldn't go to another one if i was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eman129

So I have my debs in about a month, and I'm just wondering if I still have to get my date a corsage if its my debs? Also, do I still have to get her mother chocolates? Could anyone give like a summary of how the day is meant to go, like the girl coming to my house etc etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

eman129 wrote: »
    So I have my debs in about a month, and I'm just wondering if I still have to get my date a corsage if its my debs? Also, do I still have to get her mother chocolates? Could anyone give like a summary of how the day is meant to go, like the girl coming to my house etc etc..

if it's your debs, you go to their house, corsage and all. Well that's what we did.
    EoghanIRL wrote: »

My debs was fxcking great craic

eman129 wrote: »

I had never heard of these corsage things before boards. Maybe it's something that's just not done where I live. I intend to buy a box of chocolates and maybe a cheap bottle of champagne or wine if I can't stretch that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

Hey so the debs is fast approaching (5 weeks ) and right now I'm questioning whether or not to go . I've weighed up the pros and cons but still can't decide whether to go because if I don't go I might regret it!What should I do ? Is anyone on here willing to share their debs experience and help me decide :D thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're a girl, the expense is a big factor. Think of the nice things you could buy yourself for that money.
    For boys, the expense isn't as big, but it's still a bit of a rip off in terms of what you get for your money when there. Don't be expecting haute cuisine in the food department.

It's not a 'have to do' thing really. If lack of a date is an issue, by all means go on your own. Up to you whether you would feel you'd missed out on something.

Some people spend on one night as much as would get you a week in the sun, which always seemed a bit mad to me.

exactly ! The idea of buying a 150 + euro dress for one night has always seemed ridiculous to me . Still , I can't decide whether or not to go

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I had my debs last year was great Craic ! It's your last night out with your whole year make the most of it and dressing up for the occasion and seeing everyone else being fancy makes it more sophisticated or something :P

• Advertisement

so you reckon it was worth going ? :o lots of my friends go on about how overrated it was xD

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

so you reckon it was worth going ? :o lots of my friends go on about how overrated it was xD

For me it was a fantastic night but mine was a country debs and we went to somewhere two hours away so we had great craic on the bus as well! I know my friend from limerick had a terrible debs and they got sent home early, we didn't make it home until 7am so it's the luck of the draw too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

exactly ! The idea of buying a 150 + euro dress for one night has always seemed ridiculous to me .
    1) Don't spend €150 on it.

2) Get one which you can use again in college; most students will end up going to one of the balls or posher events at some stage in their career

(if you do decide to go, that is)
    Midkemia wrote: »
    ... so it's the luck of the draw too :P
    That's it exactly. Every year here we have people going "great night, wouldn't have missed it for the world!" and "that was a complete dud, waste of money!"

Depends a lot on your class, your friend group, where it's held, etc. etc.

As a general observation, it seems to me over the years that it's often the ones which aren't over-hyped with people going to town on dresses and fuss and competing to out-Jones their neighbour which turn out to be enjoyable / memorable nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I didn't go to my debs last year and don't regret it one bit. The hype kinda put me off, tbh. I was single, didn't really have any close lad mates, and didn't want to fork over an extra 90 euro (the cost of our tickets) for some lad I barely knew. I also didn't want the hassle of going alone. I think 2 girls out of ~100 that went, went alone, and people still talk about them. Sad but yeah. Costs included, it seemed massively not worth it.

I've been to 3 college balls this year and have had unbelievable craic. Just as fancy but massively relaxed compared to the debs. Everyone went in one huge mixed group for a start, no dates. We all got taxis to the venue and pre-drank, cutting out massive expenses on limos and over-priced hotel drink. Most girls didn't bother getting hair/makeup done professionally so it didn't feel like a competition. The only main expense was your dress and your ticket.

Don't get me wrong, the fancy dress-up ball/debs is a great experience. But if you're planning on going on to college next year and you're not pushed about going to your debs, don't feel as if you'll miss out too much as you'll absolutely have the experience later on.

In the exact same boat as you were whoopsadaissy , don't have anyone I know to bring so I'll end up dishing out 90 euro on a chap I don't even know , that is if I even find one in five weeks! It's good to hear that college balls are great craic because if I don't end up going to my debs at least there'll be plenty more at college :)

• Advertisement

I still dont have the balls to ask, when i think about it makes me feel like my heart is in my mouth D':

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Don't ask, don't get. And if you're as lucky as you say you are, you'll have no problems.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

This thread is making me realise how much I'm procrastinating for the debs. Don't have a dress or a date. And I can't simply decide against bringing a date cos we had to buy the tickets in november. Anyone know anywhere for cheapish debs dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

OMGeary wrote: »
    This thread is making me realise how much I'm procrastinating for the debs. Don't have a dress or a date. And I can't simply decide against bringing a date cos we had to buy the tickets in november. Anyone know anywhere for cheapish debs dresses.

I'd recommend to rent a dress, they can be €150 for 3 days rental in comparison to buying a dress for maybe €300 that you'll never wear again?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

gracew wrote:
    I'd recommend to rent a dress, they can be €150 for 3 days rental in comparison to buying a dress for maybe €300 that you'll never wear again?

Tbh 150 sounds alot for a dress even if I was buying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're going to spend money on a dress, get a proper dress that you can wear again for weddings, formal evenings and the like.

How much are lads spending on their full suits?

How much are lads spending on their full suits?

Mine was around €250 for 3 piece suit, shirt, tie and shoes. It's probably not bad value considering I can wear it to weddings, college balls etc. in the next few years.

Alright lads got one, thing is i dont want her at my house is it not normal to meet up at parents house etc? Dont feel comfortable :( and i dont have an excuse ..

Alright lads got one, thing is i dont want her at my house is it not normal to meet up at parents house etc? Dont feel comfortable :( and i dont have an excuse ..

I thought it was more normal to meet up at the girls house. That's what I did anyway. I think all of my friends went to the girls house. It's not actually that bad. It was a bit daunting at first with brothers, sisters, cousins etc. there but once you get the champagne into you you'll be grand ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement