Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wb enabling a desktop application

Options
  • 21-09-2012 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I have come across a piece of software that I would like to have developed into a web application. I have been in contact with the owner of the program who doesn't have the time to web enable it.

Can some one talk me through what is involved in doing this? It is a spreadsheet type application that can send emails and texts to its customers.

I am not a techie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is it open-source? i.e. does the owner provide the code for people to edit for their own purposes?

Really, it sounds like it needs to be developed from scratch

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

It's not open source. I am in correspondence with the developer for access to the code with his permission so that I can get it to do what I want.

If it needs to be redesigned from the ground up I'd probably be better off getting it built the way I want it and not involve a third party's software.

i was hoping that someone out there had developed a program that you put your standalone piece of software into and it came out web enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭28064212

trad wrote: »
    i was hoping that someone out there had developed a program that you put your standalone piece of software into and it came out web enabled.
    Not possible

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Think of it like putting a conservatory on a house — maybe I can convert the garage, maybe I can put an extension on the kitchen, or maybe it's barely staying upright as is & any tinkering with it will be a nightmare: there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

If was designed with expansion in mind from the beginning, it would probably be quite easy (relatively), but if this was the case I'm sure he'd just do it himself. Since he doesn't have the time, I'd say the logic of the application is weaved into it's presentation, so it won't be easy to separate.

You won't be able to get solid advice on it without a developer looking at the code, but from the sound of it, I'd say start from scratch — it sounds like a reasonably straightforward project to do from the ground up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

From correspondence with the developer it was designed for further developement but at the moment it's something he has developed in his spare time, has a full time job and a two month old into the bargain hence his lack of time.

I was hoping he was going to have it done the way I would like it (and the way he has planned) in a reasonable time frame and then licence a copy of it from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

From correspondence with the developer it was designed for further developement but at the moment it's something he has developed in his spare time, has a full time job and a two month old into the bargain hence his lack of time.

I was hoping he was going to have it done the way I would like it (and the way he has planned) in a reasonable time frame and then licence a copy of it from him.

It that case, it may be something you could get a third party to do & work out a model with him. Though how easy it would be will depend on how well he's separated the logic of the application from how you interact with it (website vs programme).

Advertisement