Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Albums?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Along with a lot of you, I think Coldplay are utter sh**. Along with Damien Rice and Snow Patrol.
    I've never got in with all the hype around The Who or Pink Floyd. I haven't listened to any full album by either of those two, but I did see The Who at "the festival which cannot be named" a few years ago and thought they were pretty poor. I was praying that they wouldn't do an encore. James Brown livened it all up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

beatles-revolver
    anything by the arctic monkeys
    Franz Ferdinand-Franz Ferdinand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Googe

todolist wrote: »
    Odelay-Beck
    White album-Beatles
    Actung baby-U2
    Pet Sounds-Beach Boys
    What's going on-Marvin Gaye

This isn't the name some of the best and most influential albums ever thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

I think whether or not you like U2 seems to be entirely dependant on what you think of Bono

Anyone who says Radiohead, Pink Floyd or the Beatles are overrated should be shot...'nuff said

Nirvana-Nevermind is incredibly overated

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nevermind.

in utero was much the better album imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

nevermind.

in utero was much the better album imo.

Thank You, could'nt agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mcronnymc

I think the Kings of leons new offering is extremely poor bar the couple of radio friendly songs. Also hate what they have become. The sort of band rednecks get all excited about after they have already released three albums

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

mcronnymc wrote: »
    I think the Kings of leons new offering is extremely poor bar the couple of radio friendly songs. Also hate what they have become. The sort of band rednecks get all excited about after they have already released three albums

I couldnt agree more.

I will always associate their first album with the summer of 2003 which was personally quiet difficult and this album was a real shining light during that time. I saw them in Oxygen in 2004 before the Strokes came on..I was creaming myself. Great thing was I able to get within three people of the stage...they werent as popular as the Strokes then so I avoided the big rush for them 30 mins later.

The 2nd album took me a few listens but then got into it but the last 2...:mad:..I havent been able to listen them in full they are that crap IMO and now all of a sudden they're the greatest thing since slice pan...:eek:

Am I missing something? I just dont get it...:confused:

Maybe it' is the radio friendly content?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mcronnymc

I couldnt agree more.

I will always associate their first album with the summer of 2003 which was personally quiet difficult and this album was a real shining light during that time. I saw them in Oxygen in 2004 before the Strokes came on..I was creaming myself. Great thing was I able to get within three people of the stage...they werent as popular as the Strokes then so I avoided the big rush for them 30 mins later.

The 2nd album took me a few listens but then got into it but the last 2...:mad:..I havent been able to listen them in full they are that crap IMO and now all of a sudden they're the greatest thing since slice pan...:eek:

Am I missing something? I just dont get it...:confused:

You've made some very valid points, The first two albums i was very impressed with them, saw them back in 2003 I think in Lansdowne road along with Franz ferdinand and they were raw and brilliant. It most be the radio friendly songs

Maybe it' is the radio friendly content?

You've made some very valid points, The first two albums i was very impressed with them, saw them back in 2003 I think in Lansdowne road along with Franz ferdinand and they were raw and brilliant. It most be the radio friendly songs and also content. Lyrics wise its very simple. I remember a guitar teacher of mine told me that most people can only listen to simple songs musicianship wise and i think this could be the think with Kings of leon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Maybe my use of the word "crap" was a bit strong...I just found the last 2 albums very difficult to listen to. In fact I cant listen to them..:( They seem intent of changing direction each time and changing just for the sake of it..it must be a deliberate ploy. I have no problem with bands pushing the boat and trying new things...U2 to Leonard Cohen to The Beatles....then again they are young so perhaps they are still finding their feet....

But are the trying to keep up with market rather than staying true to their musical roots..then again maybe they dont know what they want and its all part of their journey..

Remeber all the early comparisons with The Strokes..are they worried that they will end burnt out like that?

Maybe they are so intent on being different that they have alienated their earlier fans and ended up embracing the mainstream instead?

For me..I have certainly lost interest....but "California Waiting" and the first album will always be dear to my heart...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

couldn't agree with you more, I think Damien Rice's O is dreadful. 2 other albums that are overated are Primal Scream Screamedlica and Portishead Dummy,heard so much hype about these two albums but when I listened to them I wondered why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

ni4979 wrote: »
    Every u2 album is overrated
    yes indeed.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Slaygal wrote: »
    couldn't agree with you more, I think Damien Rice's O is dreadful. 2 other albums that are overated are Primal Scream Screamedlica and Portishead Dummy,heard so much hype about these two albums but when I listened to them I wondered why ?

Ah your taking the mick there...these two are deservedly ranked as great albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 saz89

mgmt - oracular spectacular
    hit the big time cos the songs were used in skins.
    nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

saz89 wrote: »
    nuff said.

I find it a fantastic album, actually caught wind of them through Fifa I think. Great album that I thoroughly enjoy.

Pretty much any album to come out of the pop churning machine seems over rated to the absolute max : /

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

Anything by The Smiths/Morrisey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

mcronnymc wrote: »

Its incredible!

Have you watched their make over by the record company? It would make a great flip-page cartoon!

As for over rated albums, put it in context at least! Highly rated albums should have a pretext imo. They should be original or "ground-breaking" as the jerk critics would have you believe. Also I think they should be definitive. And finally defining a genre. (The last one's probably stretching it)

Basically All albums are ordinary until they do some thing that no one thought of before and that shouldnt happen again.

I'm confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I think music is overrated in general. Plucking strings and what not. White noise. Now that's where it's at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Now let's not go crazy...

ha ha ha
    honstly I was never a fan of the beatles. yeah I like a lot of their songs but the songs I like are not from the same album so :P lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Metallica-Death Magnetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

phatkev wrote: »
    beatles-revolver
    anything by the arctic monkeys
    Franz Ferdinand-Franz Ferdinand

I wouldn't talk down The Beatles, but the hype surrounding Franz Ferdinand and the Arctic Monkeys is baffling.
    But to their credit, Franz Ferdinand are a good live band. Their music is just seriously overrated.

Lynskey wrote: »
    I think whether or not you like U2 seems to be entirely dependant on what you think of Bono

Anyone who says Radiohead, Pink Floyd or the Beatles are overrated should be shot...'nuff said

Nirvana-Nevermind is incredibly overated

Pink Floyd are boring- with and without Syd.

CRAIIIIIG DAVID!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

saz89 wrote: »
    nuff said.

I saw MGMT at that summer H20 festival where they played to a completely packed out tent. I wasn't too keen on them, but one of my mates really wanted to go so I went along. I was shocked, I thought they played an absolute blinder!

Got the album off the same friend who I went to the gig with, played it twice and never went back to it. Some reviewer at allmusic gave the album four stars out of five, and throughout the review he mentions only three tracks, which I think were the singles. I think that says it all about the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Music-and-booze

King of leon - only by the night (wouldnt mind that they sold out if their music was still good, but its just gone bland)
    Oasis - Definitely maybe (few good tunes, bout it)
    Arcade fire - neon bible ( big isnt always better)
    Arctic monkeys - all
    qotsa - songs for the deaf (coulda been a great album if they chopped off 4 or 5 tracks)
    yeah yeah yeahs - all (they're average at best)
    the who - all (absolute toss, most overrated band in the history of time)
    i like the white stripes but theyre definitely given a lot more praise than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

GlasVegas 'glasvegas'
    Green Day 'dookie'
    All Nickelback
    Van Morrison 'astral weeks'
    Sex pistols ' never mind the bollocks'
    led zeppelin 'physical graffitti'
    smashing pumpkins ' mellon collie and whatever the rest of the title is'
    Michael jackson 'thriller'
    bjork 'debut'
    oasis 'definitely maybe'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 richievo5

i cant stand Kings of Leon , all their songs sound the same m i wish your man would stop squeeling in to the mic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Anything by The Smiths/Morrisey

Stop messing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

well nirvana ended up been hyped alot now because kurt is no longer with us and since theres no more new material it would be regarded as a "classic",the usual bulls#it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

NIN-The Downward Spiral.Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile are far better.
    Suede-Suede.Not a patch on Dog Man Star
    Neil Young-Harvest.Pile of ****e.
    Bob Dylan-Blonde On Blonde.See above
    All Soundgarden,Foo Fighters and 2Pac.

Advertisement