Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Albums?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

meathawk wrote: »
    I must disagree with the In Rainbows comment, it's close enough to being a perfect album I'd say.
    Built to Spill's "Keep it like a secret" is far overrated
    as is
    Weezer's "Pinkerton"
    and also
    Sigur Rós' "Ágætis Byrjun"
    and finally
    Star' "Heart"

In Rainbows is a great album. Its got a diversity that most groups try to put together in their dreams. The difference is In Rainbows works

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sigur Ros' don't have any overrated album imo they're consistently brilliant which is something you don't see from alot of bands thesedays!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭J_Mac

Am I the only person who thinks every album is over-rated??? Lets face it most albums have what bout 4 tracks worth listening to & the rest usually varies from so-so to pure crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

J_Mac wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks every album is over-rated??? Lets face it most albums have what bout 4 tracks worth listening to & the rest usually varies from so-so to pure crap.

Suggest Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy which might change your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Pink Floyd: The Wall
    U2: The Joshua Tree
    The White Stripes: Elephant
    Most Bob Dylan albums.
    Metalica- The Black Album
    Sex Pistols- Never Mind The Bollox
    Guns N Roses-Appetite For Destruction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mitcher

I would have to say every kings of leon record, an over rated band itself, the ting tings ' we started nothing' album,a crap band too. U2-All That You Can't Leave Behind, a few good singles but nothing special about the album. It was simply an improvement on Pop. Most of all, an album which people say is the best of all time, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. One or two songs which are the best the Beatles ever did but most of the album is slight such as 'fixing a hole','with a little help from my friends','being for the benefit of mr kite' and the reprise of the title track. Nowhere near as good as revolver as an album

as regards the Sgt Pepper album while i wouldnt disagree with you but at the time when it came out it was so far ahead of anything else that had ever been done that it was revered with affection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

I agree on Coldplay and most of U2 albums but Every Beatles and Radiohead album? Thats madness. I'm curious to know what you like. Not because I love radiohead and the beatles....I'm genuinely curious to know what someone who doesn't like these would listen to.

I think Use your illusion (both) are overrated. I'm not saying they are sh*t, just that they are overrated. Also, The Who.........no album in particular, just in general. I'll admit I've only listened to greatest hits and the live leeds gig but I don't get it. Anyone recommend an album to convert me?

Quadrophenia is a masterpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Led Zeppelin IV. Listening to it now. Thankfully I downloading it without paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

Fair enough..but IMO...the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are quiet good..no comments on anything else

agree. there seems to be a lot of unexplained hate towards U2, but people cannot deny that those two albums were truly great.

of course, they did a LOT of crap in between...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

Teclo wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin IV. Listening to it now. Thankfully I downloading it without paying.

what in the hell are you talking about?? stairway to heaven?? four sticks?? when the levee breaks?? going to california?? rock and roll?? wtf like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

agree. there seems to be a lot of unexplained hate towards U2, but people cannot deny that those two albums were truly great.

of course, they did a LOT of crap in between...

Agree, Achtung Baby is my favourite U2 album, fantastic production and sounds great on a good hifi system.
    Later stuff though, don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

kings of leon are absolutely atrocious. use somebody has to be the worst rock record ever made. bon jovi done that type of music better which is saying something.

as regards the Sgt Pepper album while i wouldnt disagree with you but at the time when it came out it was so far ahead of anything else that had ever been done that it was revered with affection

incorrect. sgt peppers is still an amazing piece of work. i first heard it in the 90's. shame about george's song though. none of the bands today or since would be able to use music hall in the way they did.

im not familiar with their albums but snow patrols chasing cars is severely over-rated. an annoying depressing song. they have many better songs - just say yes for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

I really hated that first album by the thrills, yknow the one where the first two tracks are the first two singles but they're the exact same song.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

anything nirvana recorded cmon just cos some junkie topped himself doesnt make him the be all and end all of rock music

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

magma69 wrote: »
    Metallica- The Black Album

Agreed, pure sh*te, haven't listened to it in over 10 years. Rubbish guitars, no double bass, softy production. Rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marky boii

U2 are way overrated!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

I went back to In Rainbows again. Still dont like any of it. Not one tune. None of it connects with me. I'm not fan of Kid A but I get more out of listening to it. I'm baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

MGMT - one great single, two ok singles and a load of filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

JP Liz wrote: »
    Jay Z - The Blueprint 1 and 2 and maybe even 3
    Now now lets not be silly Blueprint 1 is a rap classic,changed the game dont you know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Teclo wrote: »

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ITT: People realise that any album with acclaim can be seen as 'over rated'.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

saz89 wrote: »
    mgmt - oracular spectacular
    the songs were used in skins.
    nuff said.

you sure bou that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

KOL first album was good and 2nd was brillant

but the 3rd and especially the 4th crap if yi talk about selling out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MsLBangs

Metallica - "Black album" and "Death Magnetic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

column wrote: »
    I went back to In Rainbows again. Still dont like any of it. Not one tune. None of it connects with me. I'm not fan of Kid A but I get more out of listening to it. I'm baffled.
    I think it's still a great album, it's certainly better than Hail To The Thief. It's probably my 4th favourite after The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A. It might be slightly overrated but it's still awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bambi86

marky boii wrote: »
    U2 are way overrated!!!!!

I agree....that and Nirvana....and songs for the deaf by queens of the stone age, ok album but overplayed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

anything by Republic of loose. Jesus what a **** overated band. bruce springstein is good live but songs are middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

column wrote: »
    MGMT - one great single, two ok singles and a load of filler.

Strongly disagree - their 3 best songs were overplayed imo but the album itself is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nicdea

It's fun for someone from abroad (Germany) to find you all mocking at U2 :o))
    Actually you all have a point, still I want to throw in how very difficult it is to remain in a creative process for such a long time and still have something to say, arrange and sing about, with all the media and fan pressure to meet highest expectations.
    You're bound to **** up at some point. Now they got stuck somewhere and copy themselves, and it's probably just as hard to realise when the time comes and you can no longer be an inspiration, not to mention live on it and ride the wave...
    At least when you find forum members on boards discussing how overrated you are, it may be the time to consider water colour painting in Nice or write one's autobiography about having saved Africa... or not...Apart from this: If U2 are overrated, why do still so many young bands played on Phantom try to sound like them? They steal their intros, steal their riffs, they copy beats...because U2, together with their professionally charismatic stage beast Jesus Bono, set a new standard then, for good music from Ireland! :o)
    KATE BUSH in turn was my goddess when growing up, I was 8 when I first heard WUTHERING HEIGHTS on the radio, in 1976 (yes, I am THAT old :o)) ) and everything she did until she stopped doing it, was a thrill. Just listen to THE DREAMING or to the B-side of HOUNDS OF LOVE. Then the world had to wait for her, for 12 loooonng years, and what did she come up with...? An album which had sloppy mastering, bad arrangements, worse song writing (Washing Machiiiiiine 8o0), partly copied from previous of her own gems here and there, totally charmless - and I found myself angry and cringing when everybody tried to say something nice about it... It is sad to say so, but - this is my very own personal view on it, and I do not mean to aggravate anybody's feelings here - motherhood obviously kills the creative spark in women. Kate is not the only one to observe that when talent gets tamed by the efforts and demands of daily life, there is not much left to do with it...

Cheers everybody -

Nic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jobquiries

Regarding the Beatles: Sgt Peppers is one of their best.

Regarding Jay Z - the Blueprint 2 was overrated. He is a great, and Blueprint 1, 3 and the Black Album deserve their acclaim, but I was never a fan of #2.

Metallica's Black Album is the album that just loses it for me. I actually like some of their "sellout" stuff from Loaded and Reloaded. I love their first 3 albums, they are great. And Justice for All is good too. But the Black Album, please don't get me started.

There is currently a huge wave of Swedish, UK and American women singer songwriters which I am enjoying. Some are held in huge acclaim, and its justified (Marina, Florence, Santigold, Lykke Li, Amy MacDonald, M.I.A, Fever Ray, Uffie etc). But for some it really is not justifiable why they ever made critic's lists or why they had success - I am talking about Little Boots and La Roux. I can understand why "Bulletproof" was a success, but the two of them baffle me as to why anyone likes them. La Roux can't sing, and Little Boots has excellent songs but was ruined by her record company.

MGMT - Oracular ****acular, awful. I hate Kids so much, the most irritating song ever made. I had one listen of the album and I hated it.

The Thrills, sunny kind of music but they never deserved any acclaim.

I just love Kings of Leon debates, they are gas. "OMG I WAZ A FAN FOR 120 YRS NOW D NEW FANZ RUIN IT COS THEY NEW STUFF IS CR@P".

Advertisement