Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Fat People be Heckled like smokers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

OP, your friends sound like a bunch of judgemental pr1cks bullies, what right do they think they have to go around heckling anyone who's different to them?

To answer your question, no I don't think fat people, smokers or anyone else should be heckled for living their life the way they want to, it's nobody elses business what anyone else does, so don't let it bother you, cop the fcuk on and grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Threads bashing fat people are getting tiresome. Why is it your business what someone weighs? And before the 'cost to public funds' arguments roll in, that's just BS. The cost is similar, if not less than the combined cost of the consequences of binge drinking, smoking and other such lifestyle choices. Why don't you heckle every single person falling about on the streets on a Friday night? I will find a link later but according to what I assume is a reliable source, the cost to public funds from treating obesity related conditions is about 1.6 something billion euro per year while the cost to the state from smoking is between 1 and 2 billion per year, so roughly around the same. OP, can you honestly say that you do not do anything that has at one point or another required you to avail of public funds? The point is, where do you get off being judge and jury of another person's lifestyle? If it bothers you to see a fat person, don't look. You want to heckle a fat person? Go ahead. I hope you pick on the wrong person and they give you the slap across the face that you so rightly deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

spankysue wrote: »
    OP, your friends sound like a bunch of judgemental pr1cks bullies, what right do they think they have to go around heckling anyone who's different to them?

To answer your question, no I don't think fat people, smokers or anyone else should be heckled for living their life the way they want to, it's nobody elses business what anyone else does, so don't let it bother you, cop the fcuk on and grow up.

Calm down, its not the fm104 phoneshow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Candie wrote: »
    Passive smoking affects other peoples health and its not okay to heckle someone for smoking (unless they're deliberately blowing it in your face). Someone else overeating has no effect on you, so you don't get to bully them to make yourself feel better.

Obesity costs Ireland one thousand six hundred and forty million euro per annum...

Would pay €26 million hole for the carers grant 63 times over.

Greedy fat people making the disabled suffer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just heckle non-smokers. They're just boring spoilsports who want to be the healthiest person in the graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

I feel like heckling ignorant self-righteous people who think it is acceptable to heckle smokers/obese people or anyone who they deem to be unacceptable in their eyes.

Bully much OP?
    youi wrote: »
    So, for the past couple of years it has become socially acceptable to heckler smokers for there bad habit.

Why is it still taboo to not heckle fat people ? More of them die than smokers so it would seem.

I was out to eat a while ago and there was a smoker at the table and an obese person. I thought it was funny that one of my mates was giving out to the smoker telling them, "don't you see that you are killing yourself?", but my mate said nothing to the fat person...

Anyways..

How do you feel? Will it be another decade before it becomes ok to heckle fat people or will it never be ok?

*MODS INSERT A POLL PLEASE. Yes or No. Thanks*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭brosy

Passive smoking affects other peoples health and its not okay to heckle someone for smoking (unless they're deliberately blowing it in your face). Someone else overeating has no effect on you, so you don't get to bully them to make yourself feel better.

Eh, seeing so much fat people helps make being like that more socially acceptable. Are you not disgusted to think that people actually eat themselves to death? Fat people should not be able to judge anybody who uses drugs whatsoever, either legal drugs like tobacco or coffee, or illegal drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

So, for the past couple of years it has become socially acceptable to heckler smokers for there bad habit.

There bad habit of poor grammar?
    More of them die than smokers so it would seem.

Because there are more fat people than smokers.
    I was out to eat a while ago and there was a smoker at the table and an obese person. I thought it was funny that one of my mates was giving out to the smoker telling them, "don't you see that you are killing yourself?", but my mate said nothing to the fat person...

Were either your friend or yourself drinking? Should have got a right heckling if you were. :p

For the record I've known or known of a couple of dozen of people who've died of heart attacks. None of them smoked or were fat. You could hardly say that Páidí Ó Sé lived an unhealthy life ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

brosy wrote: »

Eh, seeing so much fat people helps make being like that more socially acceptable. Are you not disgusted to think that people actually eat themselves to death? Fat people should not be able to judge anybody who uses drugs whatsoever, either legal drugs like tobacco or coffee, or illegal drugs
    yeah okay. Maybe fat people should not have any opinions on any subjects. The government, politics, crime, cost of living, murder, all subjects other than weight gain should be out of bounds to anyone that you deem acceptable. What a sad, thin, lonely little person you must be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

cgarrad wrote: »

Obesity costs Ireland one thousand six hundred and forty million euro per annum...

What about the overweight people that are that way because of a medical condition. Or someone who has a disability/special need that means they are immobile and obviously will gain weight.
    I think this is hilarious. Yes there is some people who choose to "eat themselves to death",as someone posted before me, but come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Oh one of them....

When I was a barman we used to serve food out in the beer garden on sunny days.

And the non smokers would be complaining to me about the smokers outside :rolleyes:

I bet your friend waves their hands about and does the fake cough too

Smokers are sent packing to beer gardens in the middle of winter to freeze their nuts off which as a smoker I find fair enough. However, on those two weeks of the year when the weather is good the "regular" beer garden users can't find a seat. If someone gave out to me for smoking outdoors I'd tell them to go to hell.

Should be a five smoke minimum to use beer garden when temperature reaches 20 degrees :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'd say watching programmes like The Biggest Loser is a passive form of heckling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Here OP, run down to the shop and get me 20 major and a mars bar would ya? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

We should heckle people who heckle others since they are the cause of this debate after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This didn't happen did it op?

I think you're pulling quotes from Supersize Me.

I think it's about 25 minutes into the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

This didn't happen did it op?

I think you're pulling quotes from Supersize Me.

I think it's about 25 minutes into the film.
    If true that is absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

Why is it still taboo to not heckle fat people ? More of them die than smokers so it would seem.
    Hmmm.... I've been not heckling fat people for years, I never realised it was taboo

On a more serious note, I'm neither fat nor a smoker, but I do not think it's okay to heckle either. I mean, seriously, why heckle smokers? If they're being an ass and blowing smoke at you or something then tell them they're being an ass.

If we start going round lecturing all smokers on the adverse effects to their health (which they already know about!), then chances are the HSE are just gonna have to spend more treating all the broken noses of those who've been knocked off their high horses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Collie D wrote: »
    Smokers are sent packing to beer gardens in the middle of winter to freeze their nuts off which as a smoker I find fair enough. However, on those two weeks of the year when the weather is good the "regular" beer garden users can't find a seat. If someone gave out to me for smoking outdoors I'd tell them to go to hell.

Should be a five smoke minimum to use beer garden when temperature reaches 20 degrees :pac:

I'm fairly anti-smoking. I think it's one of the stupidest habits to have but each to their own, I don't heckle or lecture people. What I do hate is that A LOT of smokers have no problem lighting up beside you, blowing smoke in your face, see no problem with throwing their cigarette buts on the ground etc. I have absolutely no problem with people choosing to smoke but have some common courtesy not to blow smoke in my face or litter.

People giving out about people smoking outside pubs is riduclous though. There is a smoking area for a reason!

That said, I would love if there were a few pubs around Dublin that had nice beer gardens that were no smoking areas too. :pac:

As for fat people, I don't believe they should be heckled but there does need to be more education in this country about eating healthy, regular exercise, and the consequences of obesity. It needs to start in schools and parents need to be more educated. Feeding your children crap day in day out is child abuse. There are of course a lot of overweight people who are that way due to medical reasons and genetics but the vast majority are through lifestyle choices. I don't claim it to be easy to lose weight, but it can be done. Same way it's not easy to quit smoking but most certaily can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If true that is absolutely hilarious.

From 26.29 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Gee_G wrote: »
    What about the overweight people that are that way because of a medical condition. Or someone who has a disability/special need that means they are immobile and obviously will gain weight.
    I think this is hilarious. Yes there is some people who choose to "eat themselves to death",as someone posted before me, but come on!

Where were the medically obese people in the eighties? Hiding?

http://bloggingblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif

Judging by the numbers of drunks that keep the guards busy and clutter up A&E's every weekend, drinking costs even more.

Greedy drinkers making everyone suffer....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kenny

Why pick on those 2 things. If you have set your mind to be affronted by others there are many ways in which people can offend you such as being too loud, being drunk, poor hygiene, sexual orientation, nationality, fashion sense...

Like the OP, I was also out for something to eat recently with a couple of friends, one of whom is a 'part time' smoker and one who, as result of some recent unfortunate circumstances (medical and personal) has put on a few pounds, but still wouldn't warrant a second look in my opinion.

Anyway, we were sitting having our meal, trying to ignore the table next to us. Honestly, we knew it was going to be hellish the minute we sat down. The ugliest pair of acne riddled girly boys you've ever seen right next to us, and they sounded like assembly in a Korean all-girls school, getting squeakier the more half pint of cider they drank (2 straws). Absolute f'in nightmare.

Anyway, having been unable to get a rise out of anyone despite many attempts, one of them has a go at my mate for smoking, the other sniggering away in that pathetic nervous way. So my big mate buts in and says to him with a totally straight face "Wrap it ya wee @%&*, if yous aren't out of here in 5 seconds I'm feeding you yer wee pal feet first". Genius, totally shut them up, instantly focusing their affront away from the smoker and on to the fat guy while getting the message across that their night was over.

Anyway they bolted, tripping over chairs and stuff and the wee pal mumbling something out getting back to his ma's bit and 'getting the mods to do a poll' or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Greedy drinkers making everyone suffer....

:)
    Drinkers - making hospitals no-go areas for sick people every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Anyways..

How do you feel? Will it be another decade before it becomes ok to heckle fat people or will it never be ok?

Are there actually people this socially retarded out there?

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

People, who skip meals, because they think, they are too fat, because they don't look like them matchstick style models on the telly, are not living a healthy life either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Does it? If all those fat people lost weight and lived to 90, imagine the strain that would put on pensions. Fat people have the decency to work their whole lives and die at 65 without so much as getting a free bag of coal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I couldn't care less what people do with their lives if it doesn't affect me. Overweight people don't have any detrimental effect on my life whatsoever. A lot of smokers on the other hand litter everywhere, stand in shop or pub doorways throwing cigarette butts on the path paying no attention to who might be walking past and walk slowly in front of me forcing me to breath in the toxic smoke from their filthy habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How about we heckle ignorant morons who read tabloids, watch Jemery Kyle and TV3, and think all fat people are fat purely for dietary reasons?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What a sad post, OP. Why do you feel the need to heckle anybody? Are you just the kind of person who mocks other people to deflect away from your own shortcomings. If you are a 100% perfect person with no flaws then maybe you have the right to judge, but until then STFU and get a life. Honestly, the state the country is in and people like that are worried about how to treat overweight people :rolleyes:

Advertisement