Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks in Jail for offensive web posts about poor April Jones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

lukesmom wrote: »
    hardCopy wrote: »
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Good

I have no idea what the joke was and don't agree with it but neither do I agree with taking people to court over posts on Internet sites.
    I think a talking to from the police would be enough.

It shouldn't even take up police time.

It's never too soon for jokes.

Nice

And you would mind if your little girl was missing and some twat decides to post a highly offensive sexually explicit 'joke' about her? Come off it.

Of course I'd mind, I'd be disgusted.

That doesn't mean someone should go to jail for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

If he had stood on the street, gathered a sizeable crowd around him, and then made those jokes, he would have been arrested (that's if he wasn't beaten to death first)

The internet should be no different...it certainly shouldn't be somewhere you can hide. Some seem to think it should be an 'anything goes' environment...and I fundamentally disagree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

steve9859 wrote: »
    If he had stood on the street, gathered a sizeable crowd around him, and then made those jokes, he would have been arrested (that's if he wasn't beaten to death first)

Bollocks. What exactly would he have been arrested for?

Do comedians not do exactly the same thing every night of the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

So why do you think the girl's family should be "biding their time" over this joke?

Once again you're putting words in my mouth. I said if I were a member of her family - not that they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The internet should be no different...it certainly shouldn't be somewhere you can hide. Some seem to think it should be an 'anything goes' environment...and I fundamentally disagree with that

And how do you legislate? Is it legislated from your point of view, from conservative point of view or a liberal point of view? How do you decide what is acceptable, or where the line is exactly? You either believe in free speech or you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The Biggest mistake that he made, apart from the obvious, was his timing.

Had he waited a couple of weeks/months, he probably would've gone by unnoticed. That makes the sentencing even more ridiculous.

I think this is the same guy that had a facebook page telling sick jokes, and when people got up in arms against him a few months ago about another news story at the time, he told them all to fúck off, and that they didn't have to read them, or go out of their way to find his page. I think that's why his sentence was so harsh.

Still does not justify it one single bit.

I presume he is appealing it? Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I think what you are saying is if its not acceptable to say in reality then it's not acceptable to post it on the Internet.
    Lots of people will say things on line they would not say in RL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Maybe, but you have to remember, there was a large amount of people who weren't making any noise, and wouldn't allow him to have been beaten, although doubt many would've jumped in, as he's not worth getting in a fight over.
    But it wouldn't be as basic as you envisage, as most people thankfully, believe our basic rights, are definitely worth defending.

Because it is what it is, you are allowed to fundamentally disagree with anything you want.

However, some people aren't as lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

lukesmom wrote: »
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Good

I have no idea what the joke was and don't agree with it but neither do I agree with taking people to court over posts on Internet sites.
    I think a talking to from the police would be enough.

It shouldn't even take up police time.

It's never too soon for jokes.

Nice

And you would mind if your little girl was missing and some twat decides to post a highly offensive sexually explicit 'joke' about her? Come off it.

Of course I'd mind, I'd be disgusted.

That doesn't mean someone should go to jail for it.

Yeah but I am agreeing with you that he shouldn't go yo jail! I've said that several times

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Many people on this have alluded to hoping the suspect (who has been found guilty of nothing) is violently and repeatedly raped in prison.

But hey that's ok.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Many people on this have alluded to hoping the suspect (who has been found guilty of nothing) is violently and repeatedly raped in prison.

But hey that's ok.

True that was my first thought but since then I don't believe he murdered her

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Bollocks. What exactly would he have been arrested for?

Do comedians not do exactly the same thing every night of the week?

No, they don't. Don't know what comedians you watch!!

Edit: oh....and it would be 'disturbing the peace'. same law as gets you arrested for making racist remarks. Like the guy who tweeted LOL when Muamba collapsed on the pitch....he got 2 months in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

No, they don't. Don't know what comedians you watch!!

Never heard of Frankie Boyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Jesus, much as I don't usually think Maddie jokes or dead baby jokes are particularly funny, I have laughed many a time at off-colour jokes.

Emotions are running very high in the UK about this case (understandably) but an angry mob rocking up to his door? Bet there were the same types who set up RIP April pages before he'd even been arrested for murder.

As an aside, much as it was a nice gesture to release balloons and lanterns, they're actually awful for the environment. Those lanterns have been banned from a lot of wedding venues due to the hazard they cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Edit: oh....and it would be 'disturbing the peace'. same law as gets you arrested for making racist remarks. Like the guy who tweeted LOL when Muamba collapsed on the pitch....he got 2 months in jail.
    I really don't think that you know what you're on about. Making racist remarks does not get you arrested for "disturbing the peace"

And that guy didn't get 2 months for tweeting "LOL". He was sentenced with a racially aggravated public order offence, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

attention seeking , disturbed scumbag trying to impress his mates! Lil Sh*t should have got longer. He will be out in 3 weeks :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    attention seeking , disturbed scumbag trying to impress his mates! Lil Sh*t should have got longer. He will be out in 3 weeks :rolleyes:

he'll be out ina few days
    guarrenteed
    but lets hope he gets butt f*cked before he gets out

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's a scumbag no doubt and he'll never be able to show his face in that town again, but should he really be locked up for three months because of a sick joke?

Okay, what I'm going to do is move all the posts out of the April Missing thread into here as they are dragging that thread off-topic.

I'll do that and then re-open this one so just give me a few minutes.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

I really don't think that you know what you're on about. Making racist remarks does not get you arrested for "disturbing the peace"

And that guy didn't get 2 months for tweeting "LOL". He was sentenced with a racially aggravated public order offence, iirc.

yeh....an aggravated public order offence which was all carried out on twitter. He gave racist abuse to those who challenged his original 'LOL' tweet. And deservedly got jailed, as I have said before, the virtual world should have the same rules as the real world

And yes you can get arrested for racist abuse....maybe do some research next time you tell me that I dont know what I'm on about. Only recently a woman was arrested in London for racially abusing tube passengers

Off topic, so i'll leave it now.

Okay, what I'm going to do is move all the posts out of the April Missing thread into here as they are dragging that thread off-topic.

I'll do that and then re-open this one so just give me a few minutes.

Cheers.
    Done. Thanks for your patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Scioch wrote: »
    Is the moral of this story to start getting together in angry mods and descending on the homes of all the dirt bag TD's and bankers to get them arrested ? Cos I'll do it.

Where would you go first? Who's house? I bet you'd say Bertie and Sean Quinn

After that you probably couldn't give me another name

Take your faux outrage elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

saiint wrote: »
    guarrenteed

The hypocrisy in this post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

This is how the UK is now. A joke. People getting thrown into prison for having an opinion and making a comment. Did I find his comment funny? No, but he posted it on his own Facebook page. He didn't say it to the mother's face and even if he had, it wasn't worthy of jail time, IMO.

I find it really, really disturbing the way the UK is going with this sh*t. It's so over-PC, it's ridiculous. Everyone has to be punished with jail or fines. In any other country, stuff like this would just be frowned upon for being in bad taste. Now, the 'masses' will form a vigilante mob and attack anyone who dares to have a different opinion and the weak judges will cave in and placate them.

This is one step away from 'thought police', IMO. You're basically not allowed to voice your opinion in the UK anymore, in public or in private, without fearing being thrown into jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

guarrenteed

Wow.

Someone call the joke police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

guarrenteed

This post is just as sick in the head as his were. Would you like 3 weeks in jail for that? Do you reckon you deserve to get 3 weeks in jail, your name and photo splashed all over the papers and anally raped for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Jail - for any amount of time let alone 12 weeks - is absolutely ridiculous. However, I wish people would quit spewing thick nonsense about "police state herpa nazis derp." They haven't the faintest clue if they think that's what it is - the guy was not jailed for being anti government, people are free to criticise the jailing. This was more to do with mob policing than actual police policing. I know people think they seem real intelligent saying that Britain is turning into a dictatorship, but they obviously have no accurate conception of what a dictatorship is. And it really belittles the experiences of people living under nightmare regimes to say Britain is along the same lines.

Absolute free speech does not exist and never did. And thankfully. No, people shouldn't be able to broadcast/publish whatever they like - then there would be all kinds of bullying and harassment allowed. But his comments deleted and Facebook account suspended would have sufficed, not jail. Ridiculous cause for imprisonment.

Re thought crime: it's not anything near punishment for what people think - that's melodramatic IMO. It's social media, which is a new thing and is proving difficult to regulate.

I find it bizarre too that there is so little concern for the people on the receiving end of "free speech" (i.e. being a cuntt) and only the rights of those who harass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

facebook is nothing but trouble :mad:
    If I was related to April Jones I would'nt even look at social networking sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

123balltv wrote: »
    facebook is nothing but trouble :mad:
    If I was related to April Jones I would'nt even look at social networking sites

But it's ok for the suspects family (and this silly feckin young lads) to have to endure it?

Advertisement