Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Cork need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Policing and security is the big issue here i would imagine.

Cutbacks and what not means you rarely see gardai around the city during the day nevermind up until 3/4 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The problem it creates at the moment is a scramble for resources at 2am - taxis, chippers etc. - trying to get a taxi after a night out in Cork can be a disaster. If the clubs stay open for longer then there's a better spread - taxi drivers would most likely welcome it, as would publicans, and as a punter I'd prefer it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

D'Agger wrote: »
    The problem it creates at the moment is a scramble for resources at 2am - taxis, chippers etc. - trying to get a taxi after a night out in Cork can be a disaster. If the clubs stay open for longer then there's a better spread - taxi drivers would most likely welcome it, as would publicans, and as a punter I'd prefer it also.

Years ago it was an absolute shambles. Normal night out id have walked home to Douglas as it was much quicker then waiting for taxi. Never have a problem these\ days but yeah some late night options would be welcone

A 50m Pool

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

This new city bike scheme is a great idea but the bike stands are all concentrated in too small an area. Why they didn't consider the lough, CIT or douglas areas is beyond me. The north side is poorly covered as well. A stand at the top of shandon street, cork city gaol or st Luke's cross would have been a good idea too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

dwasol wrote: »
    This new city bike scheme is a great idea but the bike stands are all concentrated in too small an area. Why they didn't consider the lough, CIT or douglas areas is beyond me. The north side is poorly covered as well. A stand at the top of shandon street, cork city gaol or st Luke's cross would have been a good idea too.
    You'd imagine they'll see how it goes with the current implementation before expanding - you can somewhat understand being conservative with a project like this - where success isn't guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Think it would be pretty cool if we could make the big wheel permanent, would be some view on a clear summers day. Not sure how viable the location or business would be, but worth considering, even moving it to somewhere like Fitzgeralds park might work for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

As much as it lends a kind of cool, gritty industrial feel to the city I can't help but think that the area around the R & Hall Building near the Port of Cork could be redeveloped into something more useful and attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Just a nice coat of paint on all the shabby, empty buildings would go a long way towards cheering up the city centre.

I love a browse around town but it's getting depressing looking at old established businesses closing down.

Rates, rent and parking need to be sorted or the city is dead.

A nice coat of paint on the non-abandoned houses wouldn't go astray either.

Walking around College/Magazine road some of the gaffs are in an awful state with stuff growing out of the gutters and faded/peeling paint.

City Center parking is at a premium so they have to charge for it otherwise it would be jammers.

Also some bins would be nice, I went out walking the dog and there are hardly any bins around the place, the same at the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its a joke that Dublin has later hours for nightclubs/late bars and that Cork is in the dark ages.

It would boost tourism in the city if opening hours were extended on the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,837 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A nice coat of paint on the non-abandoned houses wouldn't go astray either.

Walking around College/Magazine road some of the gaffs are in an awful state with stuff growing out of the gutters and faded/peeling paint.

City Center parking is at a premium so they have to charge for it otherwise it would be jammers.

Also some bins would be nice, I went out walking the dog and there are hardly any bins around the place, the same at the beaches.

Presume they're student houses with the bare minimum of expenditure on maintainance rather than family homes?

Yes lack of bins is a niggle, but being from the sticks I'm used to doing without and taking my crap home. Lack of bins is no excuse for being a messy baxtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Presume they're student houses with the bare minimum of expenditure on maintainance rather than family homes?

Yes lack of bins is a niggle, but being from the sticks I'm used to doing without and taking my crap home. Lack of bins is no excuse for being a messy baxtered.

Some of them are, but there should be an onus on the person responsible to keep the outside of the house to a certain standard.

On the second point, I think this is bit like why bother wearing a seat belt, just don't crash.

Litter is a terrible problem here, people leave their dogs sh*t all over the place. You can see in some spots people are just leaving bags of dog mess on the ground because they have nowhere to put it.

It's all well and good saying they should take their mess home with them, but the more convenient you make it for people to dispose of litter in an easy way, the less likely they are to litter in the first place.

Some of the beaches around west cork are manky with rubbish, plastic bags and nappies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 29 operagust

More supervision from Garda, as there are many areas where lots of kids < 18,especially in the evening, are drinking alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Agree with dwasol about the bike spots. They should put more scattered around so that you could cycle in and out to town more...

Be great if there was a mini golf place love it..

Some of them are, but there should be an onus on the person responsible to keep the outside of the house to a certain standard.

On the second point, I think this is bit like why bother wearing a seat belt, just don't crash.

Litter is a terrible problem here, people leave their dogs sh*t all over the place. You can see in some spots people are just leaving bags of dog mess on the ground because they have nowhere to put it.

It's all well and good saying they should take their mess home with them, but the more convenient you make it for people to dispose of litter in an easy way, the less likely they are to litter in the first place.

Some of the beaches around west cork are manky with rubbish, plastic bags and nappies etc.

Swings and roundabouts. Some people just tend to be assh*les, put bins all over the place and soon you'll find them filled with domestic rubbish as they're too tight to pay for a rubbish collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

operagust wrote: »
    More supervision from GardaParents, as there are many areas where lots of kids < 18,especially in the evening, are drinking alcohol

fixed your post there .. its not law enforcements job to parent children ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Swings and roundabouts. Some people just tend to be assh*les, put bins all over the place and soon you'll find them filled with domestic rubbish as they're too tight to pay for a rubbish collection.

So your argument is "We shouldn't have bins because people will only put rubbish in them"?? :rolleyes:

Make having a domestic waste disposal service mandatory for every household. It's a joke that it's not anyway.

So your argument is "We shouldn't have bins because people will only put rubbish in them"?? :rolleyes:

No it's not. Where did I say that anywhere? Plus bins are only intended for whatever wrappers or ciggy boxes people had on their hands and want to get rid of, not a week's worth of domestic sh*te. We were never very good at civic responsibility here as a whole.

Not Cork, but you get the point. http://www.thejournal.ie/dcc-removes-public-bins-illegal-dumping-491596-Jun2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Make having a domestic waste disposal service mandatory for every household. It's a joke that it's not anyway.

There needs to be a cost effective , legal way for households that produce very little waste to dispose of it.
    My house produces very, very little waste. I don't see the value of paying the same waste disposal as a household that produces ten times as much as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There needs to be a cost effective , legal way for households that produce very little waste to dispose of it.
    My house produces very, very little waste. I don't see the value of paying the same waste disposal as a household that produces ten times as much as me.

Couldn't agree more. My mother lives on her own and produces a tiny amount of rubbish. Why should she pay the same as a house of four? Currently she has no bin provider as no need for it. I take away her rubbish once a week and put it in my bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Re bins. The Lee Fields is a joke. I walk my dog down there a few times a week. Between the Kingsley and the very top of the walk, there are 5 bins, 4 of which are withing 100 metres of each other (2 very close at the start, 2 very close in the middle). As a result if your dog takes a crap by the shelter at the west side you have no bin anywhere near you leading to many just leaving it there. A few additional "dog waste bins", of which there is only 1 in the entire lee fields would help solve this issue.

Also, there should be dog bag dispensers near the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

No it's not. Where did I say that anywhere? Plus bins are only intended for whatever wrappers or ciggy boxes people had on their hands and want to get rid of, not a week's worth of domestic sh*te. We were never very good at civic responsibility here as a whole.

Not Cork, but you get the point. http://www.thejournal.ie/dcc-removes-public-bins-illegal-dumping-491596-Jun2012/

Earlier this year, I watched a woman walking along Patrick Street, she had a large, long life carrier bag and would stop at each rubbish bin, take a small (full) plastic bag out of it, like one from a kitchen pedal bin, and deposit it in the waste bin. She started at Merchant's Quay and worked her way down the street until she'd got rid of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 operagust

A better and cheaper public transportation. It is always not on time compared with the schedule, and they should go more often. I am talking about 220 or 207 which my wife is using for going to work. Always she is afraid that she'll be late on work.

I have been to Lyon and there for example you have so many options to travel (public transportation)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A meeting this Saturday by this Twitter group on ways to improve Cork.

https://twitter.com/what_if_cork/status/693548440492601344

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Is there not? I know the county recycling centers near me include a waste bin area where thy weigh and charge each bag. Would have presumed raffen near rochestown community whould have been the same. Up until the nappies arrived I used to go every few weeks and pay $3 to get in and normally the same again on non recyclables.
    Need a big secure shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Is there not? I know the county recycling centers near me include a waste bin area where thy weigh and charge each bag. Would have presumed raffen near rochestown community whould have been the same. Up until the nappies arrived I used to go every few weeks and pay $3 to get in and normally the same again on non recyclables.
    Need a big secure shed.

I'd love a city centre location where I can go on foot and pay by weight for as little as a kg.
    Once or twice a week would do me fine that way. No storing rubbish for weeks on end and no driving miles to dispose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

A large forest park 50hA+ 5-10 minutes from city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    A large forest park 50hA+ 5-10 minutes from city.

Its not 5-10mins but Farran woods is only 25mins from the city centre and a lovely place to be on a sunny day, winter or summer. The regional park in Ballincollig is a lot nearer and also a nice place for a stroll.
    Both are very good amenities and a credit to the people looking after them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭goochy

a less insular and more outward thinking population and to have the friendly atmosphere of Galway , limerick and other cities

Advertisement