Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Cork need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Updates

New boardwalks and promenades and park on Horgans Quay over next few years.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/03/06/boardwalk-city/

New entrance to Kent station to start this summer
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kent-station-revamp-part-of-85m-public-transport-plan-259308.html

Decision on event centre to be made in May.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh redevelopment to start this year???

Great to have the Horgan's Quay redevelopment, though it's a part of the city that doesn't get much foot traffic. There aren't many business beyond Penrose Wharf nor houses as the rail station dominates the quay. Who knows, maybe the boardwalk might kick-start the area a bit.

I'm confused about the Beamish to Custom House boardwalk. There are obviously sections (Parliament Bridge) where you can't have a boardwalk. And along Fr. Matthew's Quay - will the boardwalk be a redevelopment of the existing quayside or a new boardwalk hanging over the river (as on the Liffey in Dublin)? I'd have thought the river would be too narrow to have the hanging / cantilevered walkway.

All the same, great to see so many developments upcoming. Particularly the PUC & events centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think we need to be saying to TD's that delivering on flood prevention infrastructure in Cork City will be key to them retaining their seats.

This endless flooding's not really good enough and could be prevented with a tidal surge barrier somewhere in Tivoli

The proposals I've seen so far are all quite intrusive i.e. building dykes and embankments and fielding around with culverts in the city centre.

The problem is the tide comes in. Stop that, and you stop the problem with zero disruption to the city centre or any messing with people's views, ugly walls etc.

The problem's also very complex as the city centre's incredibly porous. To make it flood proof would be a huge operation involving walls and barriers.

A tidal barrier would just prevent the water coming up during high tide. Problem solved - city centre left intact!

It was done in Hull in England for example, which is a city that isn't THAT much bigger than Cork.
    We don't need something like the Thames Barrier. It could be achieved with a simple solution just downstream of the city centre really, probably coupled with hiring the walls on the Lower Glanmire Road and improving the embankment on the marina (which could be coupled with a nice re-development of the walkways and improving public lighting etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think we need to be saying to TD's that delivering on flood prevention infrastructure in Cork City will be key to them retaining their seats.

This endless flooding's not really good enough and could be prevented with a tidal surge barrier somewhere in Tivoli

The proposals I've seen so far are all quite intrusive i.e. building dykes and embankments and fielding around with culverts in the city centre.

The problem is the tide comes in. Stop that, and you stop the problem with zero disruption to the city centre or any messing with people's views, ugly walls etc.

The problem's also very complex as the city centre's incredibly porous. To make it flood proof would be a huge operation involving walls and barriers.

A tidal barrier would just prevent the water coming up during high tide. Problem solved - city centre left intact!

It was done in Hull in England for example, which is a city that isn't THAT much bigger than Cork.
    We don't need something like the Thames Barrier. It could be achieved with a simple solution just downstream of the city centre really, probably coupled with hiring the walls on the Lower Glanmire Road and improving the embankment on the marina (which could be coupled with a nice re-development of the walkways and improving public lighting etc.)
    Flood protection is often a lot more complex than that though. The water has to go somewhere. Block it in one place and it'll come up in another. Look at New Orleans and the levees...

Fabio wrote: »
    Flood protection is often a lot more complex than that though. The water has to go somewhere. Block it in one place and it'll come up in another. Look at New Orleans and the levees...

True, but you can't really have it coming up in the city centre as it's doing millions upon millions of Euro of damage every time.

Cork's situation isn't river flooding like much of the flooding that occurs in the midlands. It's caused by a situation where water's driven up the harbour during circumstances where you get a high tide coupled with usually SE winds that cause a 'bulge' on the body of water and force it up the river into the city centre.

It's pretty much pure tidal flooding. Putting a barrier in place will be far less likely to cause issues downstream as all that's down stream is a big harbour. You would need to ensure that the embankments along Tivoli, Glanmire and the Marina/Blackrock/ Mahon area were enhanced and maintained properly though along with ensuring the walls on the Lower Glanmire road were higher.

The incident in 2009 was a freak one and was caused by the dam being opened as it had reached a dangerous water level. That was actual river flooding and we need to figure out why that happened and put measures in place to ensure it absolutely never happens again. The dam system should be there primarily to prevent flooding of the city, and only generate electricity as an incidental byproduct of that.

Dealing with river flooding's FAR more complicated as if you protect one area, the river bulges further up stream and you end up with flooding into other areas, so you actually have to designate flood planes.
    That isn't the case in Cork as it's purely tidal.

Also, the fact that Cork City's actually in a river delta with quite a narrow discharge and the flooding comes from the sea, not the river, should make it really simple to solve as you don't have to deal with coastal flooding and you have somewhere to 'put' the flood water i.e. the harbour.

You're really talking about raising a tidal barrier only an hour or so before high tide to prevent a surge, then lowering it again so it has minimal impact on anything really other than that it prevents a storm surge / tidal surge.

Ideally, I would like to see a Lee Valley Flood & Cork Harbour Management Agency that would have control over flood planning including the dam system + any tidal barrier system.

It's crazy having the ESB managing the dams and the City Council trying to do everything else and the County Council involved further up stream and the OPW jumping into the middle of all that.

A small, efficient, effective agency with the correct expertise and power to do get this stuff right would save the city millions every year.

Realistically, we need something like the Environment Agency in the UK has only perhaps ironing out some if its issues if we do make a copy of it, with some regional offices managing serious flood risk areas like Cork City, Limerick, Dublin City and areas of the midlands.

The current system is totally ineffective as there are way too many agencies and budgets involved.

I was really quite concerned when I saw the OPW's proposals for Cork City as they don't include a tidal barrier and look more like what you'd expect to see for dealing with river flooding.

I don't know if that's a budgetary issue that's preventing them considering a major piece of infrastructure and they're just looking to do a patch-up job, or if they're just making a very strange decision.

I would be loathed to go messing around with the culverts etc in the city centre as you could have some very unintended consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Someone should try to stop the halt of businesses closing down in the City Centre.

Stop the extortionate parking charges.

Fill in a few potholes.

For a start......

• Advertisement

Someone should try to stop the halt of businesses closing down in the City Centre.

Stop the extortionate parking charges.

Fill in a few potholes.

For a start......

The enormous rates would be the major factor!

They do fill in potholes. Three lads pour in hot tar and gavel into the holes from a van. This is done without closing the lane to traffic !

Pot holes should be filled and patched properly !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The enormous rates would be the major factor!

They do fill in potholes. Three lads pour in hot tar and gavel into the holes from a van. This is done without closing the lane to traffic !

Pot holes should be filled and patched properly !

Agree .... A good shower of rain and off goes the gravel and tar into the nearest drain, blocking that and causing more grief!

I swear - if someone calls to my door canvassing for local elections - I will set my goldfish on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

On Horgans Quay. I remember seeing the draft plan for Horgans quay maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Will take a look around and try to find the drawings.

Basic story is that a lot of the train station yard would be sold off. The road coming in Horgans quay will be pushed in from the river bank. A new entrance to the train station will then be built at the end of this new road.

Apartment blocks and such would then be built along Horgans Quay on the waterside. Also going to be a footbridge from Horgans Quay over to the proposed Docklands development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Just a nice coat of paint on all the shabby, empty buildings would go a long way towards cheering up the city centre.

I love a browse around town but it's getting depressing looking at old established businesses closing down.

Rates, rent and parking need to be sorted or the city is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

D'Agger wrote: »
    Also - I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before - but is there a reason the road isn't lit fully going to the airport? That really grinds my gears, you feel like you're driving into a forrest rather than to an international airport.

Somebody a while back on the motors forum had an awful accident on the Airport Road. Can't remember was it going up or down, but they were going at 100 in the 100 zone and someone reversed from their house on to the road and said boardsie ploughed into them.

I was disappointed when that private bus crowd closed down a few years ago. The little yellow buses, can't remember the name. Got it a couple of times and a way better service than Bus Eireann. I'm surprised no other private company has given it a go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like the big grain silo down at the docks is in the process of being demolished, took a look when I was out for a jog that direction this evening.

Always thought the 'Odlums' building next door would be great for some sort of public space/gallery. Luckily that's a protected structure so they can't demolish that!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

opus wrote: »
    Looks like the big grain silo down at the docks is in the process of being demolished, took a look when I was out for a jog that direction this evening.

Always thought the 'Odlums' building next door would be great for some sort of public space/gallery. Luckily that's a protected structure so they can't demolish that!

That's R&H hall no? I always thought they could do something with that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wyldwood wrote: »

Rates, rent and parking need to be sorted or the city is dead.

Why are rates so punitive?

Wouldn't they be better off with someone, anyone, paying some sort of money rather than the thing lying idle earning nothing???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Why are rates so punitive?

Wouldn't they be better off with someone, anyone, paying some sort of money rather than the thing lying idle earning nothing???

If one person pays a reduced rent then theyll all want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

No fecking way!!! Do you have a link or a newspaper article?

How old is R&H?

pandaboy wrote: »
    No fecking way!!! Do you have a link or a newspaper article?

How old is R&H?

Purely guessing, looked 1930's to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I don't think its r&h hall. it was silo slightly down from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I don't think its r&h hall. it was silo slightly down from it.

Exactly it's the smaller one further along from R&H Hall next to the 'Odlums' building. Sorry should have been more precise :)

I hadn't noticed this until recently, looked over that direction and the silo was getting shorter every day! :) Though it was never exactly an oil-painting, the place does look a little bare without it.

I'd love it if someone took daily photos of the progress - someone did a similar time-lapse of Lansdowne Road stadium being torn down and it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RJ Globe

We so need a KFC in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

RJ Globe wrote: »

Prefer more local non chain store / multinational options.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Of all the reasons to create a boards.ie account??

And there's already a Hillbillies by the fountain...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Welcome to boards. Its as good a first post as any.

At the same time, down with multinational fast food chains.:)

There's a couple of bucket o grease outlets in the outskirts and frankly that's more than enough.

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Of all the reasons to create a boards.ie account??

And there's already a Hillbillies by the fountain...

Lol, sure ya gotta be passionate about something. Hillbillies is tasty, but KFC gravy is a whole different kettle of fish.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Welcome to boards. Its as good a first post as any.

At the same time, down with multinational fast food chains.:)

Thanks for the warm welcome at least :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Anybody suggested yet for the English Market to be open on Sundays?

I usually find it a bit difficult to get into town during the week or on Saturdays (working throughout the week, and cleaning the house/doing the garden on Saturdays to get that out of the way), but I would really love to shop more that the English Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Shenshen wrote: »

I usually find it a bit difficult to get into town during the week or on Saturdays (working throughout the week, and cleaning the house/doing the garden on Saturdays to get that out of the way), but I would really love to shop more that the English Market.

The traders themselves have resisted opening on a Sunday. I know a City Councillor proposed it before and they poured cold water on it.
    They also said Sunday openings would mean the market would mostly be filled with tourists who don't buy any food anyway.

Shenshen wrote: »

And in more general - more 'out of hours' businesses! After 6 or so nearly all shops are closed, most cafes, even restaurants often close around 9. Lots of places closed on Saturdays, nearly everywhere closed on Sundays. You'd see tourists wandering around a city that's shut down. There's really no "evening/weekend culture" here.

Obviously weather is partly a factor when it comes to the evenings, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yeah there was a thing on the Echo recently about the lack of a nightlife because of the 2am closing time. I don't go out myself but I'd agree, if people want to stay out for longer they should be allowed to.

Advertisement