Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

marco_polo wrote: »
    Isn't it usually customary for replies to have some relevance to the quoted post :confused:
    not really able to do that limited ability on computer how do you do it

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Clare will make progress in this competition, through the back door.
    The penalty decision and the Mullane antics, will be used to fire up the banner boys, when we get another chance against Waterford in the final:cool:

Don't forget .............. we are also in a Munster final. With the big ball:D
    NO, im afraid its out in the next game for ye and good riddance

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Im aware that yes we could come up short against stronger teams physically and in other areas. Obviously Kilkenny are miles ahead of everyone else but from what i saw yesterday i wouldnt be too afraid of taking on anybody else if we play to our potential. And somebody's got to make that leap up sometime. What im saying is that i got the feeling that we could do it, and that it kinda needs to be this year or next year because there will be a few lads retiring and even though there's some good lads coming through, we cant wait around forever hoping that Kilkenny turn ****e becuase its not going to happen any time soon. I think that not just ourselves, but other counties too need to adopt a better mentality when it comes to facing Kilkenny.
    I AGREE ABOUT BETTER MENTALITY ,GAVIN very poor choice for goal attempt with kelly inside him ,tomas ryan later in game with 2 fellas free ,wrong options there would not be tolerated in kk they would be lucky to see a kk jersey again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

NO, im afraid its out in the next game for ye and good riddance

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

49-Waterford-v-Clare-17-June-2012-500x132.jpg
    Many thanks to everyone who contributed to a successful day of seat-spotting yesterday. You can read about the other events of the day here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

A look back at yesterday.

http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/

To be fair. Regardless of whether Ryan had eyes in the back of his head or not, he should not have attempted a shot. He has eyes in front of his head and could see two team mates waiting to tap the ball into an open net. Gavin O Brien went for glory in a similar situation too. While there are many positives to take from the game as you have pointed out, the two boys should be taken aside and be told what to do in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dartz180

Up the Deise ,
    Great saves from Soc's at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

A look back at yesterday.

couldn't agree more with what you said about Molumphy.

Great site too keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KerryDeise

I don't think many of us long suffering Deise devotees are getting carried away about last Sunday but it was a victory worth celebrating nevertheless. No point talking about the Munster Final yet either when we don't know who we are up against, and more to the point, what form they are in. For the record I'd prefer to get Cork. I am still getting ugly flashbacks about that hammering we got last year.

I don't go along with some posters who suggest that Clare were the stronger and fitter team. In a few positions maybe but not all over the field by any means.

On that point I could see the influence of Pat Flanagan on a lot of our lads. He is held in high esteem in Kerry, with very good reason, and it is a mystery to me why he wasn't brought into the Waterford setup several years ago. I know for a fact that he'd have jumped at the opportuinity to be involved with his native county. Pat is an unsung hero and a lovely man. His track record with Kerry is beyond compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

yea memories of eoin mcgrath v cork 07 quarter final drawn game. through on goal went for a goal, saved by cusack. a point would have drawn the game. as it turned out we got a free to draw the game after but I know exactly what your saying

he was dead right to go for goal that time, had we beaten Cork that day who knows,the legs mightnt have been as dead playing Limerick

lucky to get that dodgy free the same day all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford football qualifier game fixed for Aughrim @ 2.30pm Sat 30th June

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Deise Abu 2012

The draws for the 2012-2013 Dr Harty Cup were made last weekend. Which Waterford side will go furthest in the competition which begins in mid September.

are the minors/under 21 playing tomorow night in munster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Nah Minors are playing next week. U21s are out after the Senior Munster Final.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Nah Minors are playing next week. U21s are out after the Senior Munster Final.

19th of July isn't it? Looking forward to it should be good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

U16 hurling championship starts next Wednesday evening, will anybody be going to opening games?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

KerryDeise wrote: »
    I don't think many of us long suffering Deise devotees are getting carried away about last Sunday but it was a victory worth celebrating nevertheless. No point talking about the Munster Final yet either when we don't know who we are up against, and more to the point, what form they are in. For the record I'd prefer to get Cork. I am still getting ugly flashbacks about that hammering we got last year.

I don't go along with some posters who suggest that Clare were the stronger and fitter team. In a few positions maybe but not all over the field by any means.

On that point I could see the influence of Pat Flanagan on a lot of our lads. He is held in high esteem in Kerry, with very good reason, and it is a mystery to me why he wasn't brought into the Waterford setup several years ago. I know for a fact that he'd have jumped at the opportuinity to be involved with his native county. Pat is an unsung hero and a lovely man. His track record with Kerry is beyond compare.

Agree totally, Pat got his program timing spot on, heard he was approached by fitz at one point but declined, no prizes for guessing why

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

I AGREE ABOUT BETTER MENTALITY ,GAVIN very poor choice for goal attempt with kelly inside him ,tomas ryan later in game with 2 fellas free ,wrong options there would not be tolerated in kk they would be lucky to see a kk jersey again

Bit harsh ? both were in decent positions to take the shot, not as if they were shooting over their shoulder, yes there was free men in similar positions but no guarantees if the passes were given,
    good to see a bit of confedence and in fairness to both lads more often than not they would bury those chances, maybee next time they will

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

If the minors win their semi then that would be 4 years in a row we had both minors and seniors in the munster final on the same day. Pretty good going. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I think Gavin and Thomas made.the right choice,okay there were two free men in The square on both occasions,

But at the end of the day. we need fellas that can score goals in every match,like KK do.if we want to be winning the big one,( Liam ).goals win games,and they can win a game for you in the first 10-20 minutes,if we can drive on with a tally of points to go with them.and players need to step up and not bottle it. It was Gavin's first championship game.and he wanted to make his mark can't fault him for it, if Thomas shortened the grip a bit who knows what might have come out of it.

Were in another Munster final

And either quarter or semi for the all Irelands, not bad for a team that was writting off at the start of the year,

Hon the deise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

In brief, we were lucky to win on Sunday even though we played better throughout the match. Clare had the chances to win it at the end - Honan's lack of fitness/touch saved us.

While it was exciting to watch at the end, they are two average teams who will improve as the year goes on. Two more games for WD will bring on the players a fair bit. However WD won't win Munster Final regardless of who it wins on Sunday. Too many young lads (a great thing to say) to make the leap so soon but there won't be a repeat of last year as that was a freak game.

Isn't it a great thing that WD have made so many Munster Finals in the last 15 years. Shows that a team that is successful can bring on the next generation once you put in the effort at an early age. Long may it last that making a Munster Final is seen as somethign normal.

As for Davy/Kelly and Mullane antics, they would quite easily fit into the D'Unbelievables. However its something you see alot of nowadays and RTE 'investigating' it makes it even sillier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

chinguetti wrote: »
    In brief, we were lucky to win on Sunday even though we played better throughout the match. Clare had the chances to win it at the end - Honan's lack of fitness/touch saved us.

While it was exciting to watch at the end, they are two average teams who will improve as the year goes on. Two more games for WD will bring on the players a fair bit. However WD won't win Munster Final regardless of who it wins on Sunday. Too many young lads (a great thing to say) to make the leap so soon but there won't be a repeat of last year as that was a freak game.

Isn't it a great thing that WD have made so many Munster Finals in the last 15 years. Shows that a team that is successful can bring on the next generation once you put in the effort at an early age. Long may it last that making a Munster Final is seen as somethign normal.

As for Davy/Kelly and Mullane antics, they would quite easily fit into the D'Unbelievables. However its something you see alot of nowadays and RTE 'investigating' it makes it even sillier.

Why have people a problem with what John and Eoin did to Davy. I dont know the age profile of most of the posters that have some bit of problem with what happened, but lets not forget that in the past Clare were champions of the 'in your face' thing. Does anyone remember back in the mid 90's when Cork had a young team and they were playing Clare, one of their players in the backs, possibly Anthony Daly if memory serves me right, went up to Joe Deane and asked him if they had travelled to Thurles on the School Bus. What comes around goes around with you start that sort of sh1t. If Davy and co dont like it coming to them, well then dont attempt to give it out in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Black Suir, just because Clare did it in the past doesn't mean that they deserve it now. Gloating in someone's face in any walk of life is cheap. I'ld have the height of respect for Mullane as a player but what he did was silly and i bet he wouldn't like to be reminded of it afterwards. Best response to taunting is to put the ball over the bar, in the net or play well.

Placed in goal a few years ago in a club match and the corner forward was being taunted throughout by our back. He never rose to it and scored 3-1 in a match. At the end as we walked off, the umpire walked up to our back and told him that he should have saved his breath to try and stop the forward instead of abusing him as it might have done some good. And he was dead right.

Im happy Gavin and Tommy had the confidence to go for the goals. Hopefully Gavin will improve more and it will bring him on, he got an exceptional point afterwards. Tommy should be sinking them kind of efforts at this stage, or passing them, he is on the panel 4 years at this stage. But he got a great goal v Galway last year, he can do it, and hopefully we can put Sunday down to match sharpness. We are into a Munster final, and thats all that matters to me. I know we put a few balls wide on Sunday aswell, but not as much as years ago. Maurice missed a few frees, as did Clare, but I rememeber us losing games and having 15 -17 wides in games... We look a bit sharper in my opinion, coupled wit the 10 week layoff we had, i believe we will be better for the Munster final. I would like to play Cork , I believe the extra game against Limerick will have helped Tipp alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

When is the Munster final on? Need to find somewhere in Oz to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

July 15th Venue tbc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

A Waterford/Cork final will be in Thurles. If it's Waterford vs Tipp it'll be back to Cork again.

Thought it was a really great win last Sunday. There was lots of similarities between that and the Limerick game last year, but the fact that the younger players had a much bigger say in the end result this time around was really encouraging.

Daysha wrote: »
    A Waterford/Cork final will be in Thurles. If it's Waterford vs Tipp it'll be back to Cork again.

Thought it was a really great win last Sunday. There was lots of similarities between that and the Limerick game last year, but the fact that the younger players had a much bigger say in the end result this time around was really encouraging.

Yup, like I love Tony, and thought during the game he should have come on with 20 minutes to go as his experience, but fair to mick, mac and the rock they put the youth on and we won the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

chinguetti wrote: »

Having watched the game back, Nicky O'Connell only missed one more free than Maurice. Clare should rue some of the wasting of possession more than not having a deadly accurate free taker (it should be noted than O'Connell hit one superb free from a very difficult position.) It seems to be a hallmark of Davy's teams, for all he would say about Waterford being more economical with scoring chances that was more down to us not creating many chances with the way we played. Clare hit some poor balls straight to the opposition, more than us anyway.

It should also be remembered that if Tommy Ryan had goaled or passed it off (which in hindsight he really should have done, but that's why hindsight is such a wonderful thing) the game would have been over before Honan got a chance or Pa Kelly's free. And I'm glad it was left off because it showcased Stephen O'Keeffe at his best, but in the lead up to Conor McGrath's attempt on goal I'm nearly certain that Honan picked the ball of the ground.

I don't see that we didn't deserve it and think would have been unlucky to lose as we played the better hurling i.e. used the ball better.

And while there are similarities to the Limerick game last year, I felt Limerick bossed the second half completely and that they hit way more wides than Clare. Also, we got a late goal to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat as opposed to holding on to a lead on Sunday. I think generally we snuffed out goal chances pretty well. Disappointed with the first goal, and while Kearney should have cleared, when the ball goes across there are two men inside that Lawlor has to deal with so he couldn't rush out to Conlon, he tried to force him into a decision. The video evidence suggest that it was Daniels who left his man free as it seemed Ringo was on Conor McGrath at that point.

I also agree, we'll improve for the next game and I definetly feel that was our best performance in a first round match in Munster since 2007. We will still justifiably go in as underdogs for the Munster Final but I wouldn't write off our chances at this stage.

One more thing, Cork have easily as much new blood in the team as Waterford. They might have a more balanced team and better forwards, but I don't except that experience would cost us against them.

We'll see how it goes on Sunday anyway

• Advertisement

I also agree, we'll improve for the next game and I definetly feel that was our best performance in a first round match in Munster since 2007. We will still justifiably go in as underdogs for the Munster Final but I wouldn't write off our chances at this stage.

One more thing, Cork have easily as much new blood in the team as Waterford. They might have a more balanced team and better forwards, but I don't except that experience would cost us against them.

We'll see how it goes on Sunday anyway

I agree, everybody gave Tipperary room for improvement after the Limerick game, so the same should stand for us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement