Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ros na Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In case anyone wants Irish subtitles or no subtitles while watching it. I could not get the option on the player on the telly.

However, on the TG4 website on the net, you can watch it with Irish subtitles/English subtitles/no subtitles.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

That's a bad dose of rapid-soap-ageing syndrome that Réailtín's got there! Not to mention the face transplant :D

That's a bad dose of rapid-soap-ageing syndrome that Réailtín's got there! Not to mention the face transplant :D

I did not cop that at all!

I assumed it was a daughter that we did not hear of before who appeared to help him in his hour of need!

Side note: I just looked up where the phrase "twigged" came from.
    Apparently, it might from the Irish word "tuigim" I understand and started around c1755-65.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/twigged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Shocking! She was only in it recently with Aine, a storyline where they robbed something from the community centre and ronan got blamed for it. She looked at most about 7. The new one looks 15/16??

I don't get the whole thing about Michael having to pee in a bottle now??!!

• Advertisement

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I don't get the whole thing about Michael having to pee in a bottle now??!!

Cos by the time he would get to the jacks, there would be a danger he would be an fliuch...so it saves the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Tadhg mimicking Bobbi Lee got a far bigger laugh out of me than it should have. Classic Tadhg.

Tadhg mimicking Bobbi Lee got a far bigger laugh out of me than it should have. Classic Tadhg.

I laughed at the bit where Maire says at the end of the episode "Every Tom, Dick and Peatsai" :D

They threw in some good nuggets in this episode, as well as more subtle
    then usual. One of the better episodes for sure.

With the Gaeilge subtitles on I picked up another bit of Irish slang they always say in Ros na Run

"Gabh i leith" which they pronoun as "Ge-wil-yeah" they run all the words together with the connemara Irish.

It means "come here to me" a shortened version of "Gabh i leith chugam".

http://forvo.com/word/gabh_i_leith_chugam./

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Mack/Katy/Jason. Bored now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

This show is gone ridiculously stale, badly needs an emmerdale farm style reboot.

This show is gone ridiculously stale, badly needs an emmerdale farm style reboot.

Tommy the alarm fella would not be out of place in Father Ted.

If it goes on similar lines it might liven it up a bit? :D

An angle I am amazed that they never expand on for occasional different characters is the B n B. Has anyone actually ever stayed there?

It would freshen it up a bit with different actors and story-lines then they could disappear again. Kind of like crowd that used to have new foster kids in Home and Away!

It would mix it up at bit there are so few characters in it that it is like royal families that end up intermarrying far too much.

I feel sorry for the writers they have not much characters to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think there might be a punch-up tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Finally caught up as far as the wedding. My oh my, this was so predictable and yet great to watch. I can't wait to see how Mack spins this one :)

Very quiet on this thread lately.

Finding RnR quite dull at the moment. No really interesting storylines. Although I do hope that isn't the end of the Mack or Jason storyline and we do get to find out who the real father is. Finding the other storylines: John Joe and Noirin, Peatsai and yer one, Colm and Laoise all very boring.

Come on RnR you can do much better than this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Very quiet on this thread lately.

Finding RnR quite dull at the moment. No really interesting storylines. Although I do hope that isn't the end of the Mack or Jason storyline and we do get to find out who the real father is. Finding the other storylines: John Joe and Noirin, Peatsai and yer one, Colm and Laoise all very boring.

Come on RnR you can do much better than this!

I sat down on Saturday night to catch up on a month of episodes. I fell asleep midway into the second episode :o

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I sat down on Saturday night to catch up on a month of episodes. I fell asleep midway into the second episode

I had a backlog of about 10 episodes just before Christmas. I deleted them and started watching from that point and was able to pick it up no problem because so little has happened! Very poor season so far.

Also what's the story with Realtin growing 5 years older overnight?! Her and Aine always seemed similar ages and now all of a sudden Realtin is much older?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Trying to watch last nights episode on the player but the whole site seems to be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

Its a very poor season so far, Seamus(RIP) was such a character and watching him and Tadhg together was magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I hope they keep Grainne she's great fun.

Peatsai is a character, but is different sort of one not a Seamus replacement.

I don't know what will happen if Tadgh ever goes they haven't anyone near as good character wise, would nearly have to bring in a new owner with similar traits, Jason is about as crafty as a dishcloth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I've completely lost interest in it now. Like someone else, I had about 8-10 episodes to catch up on but I got so bored that I gave up after the 2nd.

And I used to watch it religiously - even when I lived abroad a couple years ago, I never missed an episode on the player. I miss the mysteries and strong writing that always kept you guessing. Affairs & polytunnels are just not cutting it...

I've completely lost interest in it now. Like someone else, I had about 8-10 episodes to catch up on but I got so bored that I gave up after the 2nd.

And I used to watch it religiously - even when I lived abroad a couple years ago, I never missed an episode on the player. I miss the mysteries and strong writing that always kept you guessing. Affairs & polytunnels are just not cutting it...

I think the writers really missed a trick with tadgh overhearing the confessions.
    That could have been developed into anything and could have gone into the background and history of the characters.

I must admit I would not watch it now only for it is in Irish. Because I like to learn the phrases and that type of thing.

Let's be honest the subject matter of most soaps is confined to
    Affairs/relationships troubles
    Repercussions of affairs troubles
    Violence
    Blackmail
    Kidnapping/paedophilia a child centred story
    Death normally a cancer story.

Soaps can never discuss sport/politics in any depth because that is not what women want in soaps and they are the main watchers of them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Also what's the story with Realtin growing 5 years older overnight?! Her and Aine always seemed similar ages and now all of a sudden Realtin is much older?!!

It was the same with Evan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Glad it's not just me thinking that it's nowhere as good as it used to be.

Definitely missed a trick with Tadgh and the confessions - I thought that he'd surely here something really good.

I'm starting to like Peatsai and Sally - was kinda funny last night.

I'd love to see Katy and Jason get a break and live happily for a while. But there is definitely potential to bring up the father of the child at some point whether sooner or later - especially given that it's a premature baby, some health complications may require donor/blood matching type work etc that would catch up on Jason's lies...

We're missing Peadar and Seamus bigtime. They used to provide sidekicks for Micheal too......David's just not cutting it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I think the writers really missed a trick with tadgh overhearing the confessions.
    That could have been developed into anything and could have gone into the background and history of the characters.

I must admit I would not watch it now only for it is in Irish. Because I like to learn the phrases and that type of thing.

Let's be honest the subject matter of most soaps is confined to
    Affairs/relationships troubles
    Repercussions of affairs troubles
    Violence
    Blackmail
    Kidnapping/paedophilia a child centred story
    Death normally a cancer story.

Soaps can never discuss sport/politics in any depth because that is not what women want in soaps and they are the main watchers of them

The confession cold have been used for greater effect but the writers just aren't up to it. Tadgh's character is becoming more and more of a joke. The incident with Peatsi's wages was 5th rate stuff. It's getting more painful to watch, like others here, I only watch for the phrases and stuff. God, what it could be with some real writers. Needs another location badly. Between the b&b, Gaudi's and the pub there's just not enough credibility for the characters to bump into each other so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I think after 21 years the show has ran out of road, too few characters and too few locations to do anything else interesting..How long has that David guy been standing around looking like a tool and wearing that red and black jacket ?

More they need new writers to freshed it up and also stop going through actors so quick you are only going to get so many good conversational Irish speakers who are also decent actors.

Look at Maires friend Sally speaks Irish but an awful actor.

Then look at Pol he was a good speaker and a good actor. Then you have the red head lad in Fair City and his wife Eimear, they should have been kept and I'm sure there's loads of others.

I know maybe your man preferred being on FC which has more exposure but I'd say most of them would love to stay in a steady gig lots of em only do the odd play once they've left and often it's all they have before appearing.

Wales does have a massive Welsh speaking popualtion but they manage to keep actors long term and also keep it fresh, Pobol Y Cwm crossed over with Ros Na Run years back and it's a great soap

Edit: Actually I forgot to add, only as far back as October they (TG4) were saying they are growing better than ever. Think RnR viewing figures are as good as ever too. I reckon given they are separate from RTE now it would only go of the station was to go under. I know they do great music and documentaries but I'd say it's part of their core viewing.

I'm finding it grand at the moment to be honest the only boring ones are Sally and David Jesus they drag.

I loved Tigh making a fool of David and Grainne with the oats for the Poitin :D

Grainne is good fun she's far better at the comic character than David he would just strike you as a complete old misfortune :pac:

• Advertisement

More they need new writers to freshed it up and also stop going through actors so quick you are only going to get so many good conversational Irish speakers who are also decent actors.

Look at Maires friend Sally speaks Irish but an awful actor.

I agree with you about Sally, I used to think it was the character putting on an "act within an act" for Peatsai.

But she is constantly at the same kind of speech and drama pitch, not believable in the slightest.

I am starting to think, they could bring in a few people from Poland/Eastern Europe who land in the village etc etc. Mix it with a bit of English,Irish and Polish then the pool of actors and scope increases. Language mix ups etc.

I am no actor or screenwriter and I am sure it is difficult.
    But, the stories have little imagination and have a local drama group feel to them. The writers seem to have little expectation put on them and they seem to be turning out safe painting by numbers stuff.

There are are few actors in the show who are believable and solid.

Tadgh (when given decent script), John Joe, Dee, Mack, Berni, Mo, Frances, Vince, Pol, Kathy, Evan, Maire/Michael are good foil when it comes to the moral barometers of the show.

Evan is under used, and has been sent to Galway to get him out of the way and give space to the Dee/Mack/Kathy never-ending story,

Peatsai brings good fun and mischief to it and he even does the same laugh he uses in the series "Klondike" - "Heh, Heh, Heh". Like the Brennan's Bread advert from years ago.

The "Boobi" Lee character can be over egged a bit.

Davids character badly needs a revamp.

Fia's character should be got rid of soon, brings little to the show besides a constant worried face, and nasally tones.

Jason has been in Ros na run for years, but I don't buy into his character when he does that hyperventilation nostril thing. He was far better when he had to pretend he had a stroke!

Padraig's character has zero depth, it is all cup cakes and girlie chats/advice.
    Has his character/background ever been developed family/friends etc?

Boobi Lee should be killed by a fan with a guitar string at this stage.
    I can't really believe she is a "realt mór". It is just not believable in the slightest anymore.

So to my mind that is - Tadgh, John Joe, Berni, Frances, Mo, Grainne and Peatsai and Mack that are believable characters. Chracters that they cannot do without in my opinion.
    All good solid actors. Vince is good as well but they seem to have left him on the fringes lately.

The rest could die off and the show would not be any loss without them.

That is a total of 9 good actors to build solid stories around, which is not enough.

Advertisement