Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Also, driving unaccompanied?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Right. Just like the insurance discussion you had on Motors a couple of weeks ago....

This has been dragged OT enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Right. Just like the insurance discussion you had on Motors a couple of weeks ago....

This has been dragged OT enough.

okay;)

I'll leave it be, everyone has different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Nobody suggested that poster quit his job. What he should do is find alternative means of transport and getting to work until he get his licence.

My husband worked nights, and did some unsocial hours, Guess what he did? Either I dropped him off/picked him up when able. Or he got a lift with a workmate, giving them a drop of petrol money to help out. We're not in Dublin where the transport is better (although still crap) than Cork.

Guess what? We managed. My husband now has a licence. And he did it without breaking the law. Again I ask: What makes you different??

We aren't suckers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Guess what? We managed. My husband now has a licence. And he did it without breaking the law. Again I ask: What makes you different??
    The majority of Learners don't obey this law. Are they all different? Or is it just you?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

There were too many good responses there to quote people. But I'm glad to hear it's possible to pass with the more limited time you can spend practicing accompanied (though I think it has hampered how much practice I've been able to do, whatever anyone else wants to claim about it), because to be honest I just amn't comfortable breaking the law. That said, I also really appreciate people's honesty in admitting that they do it as at first all the reponses seemed to deny that this is happening, which it very clearly is. I've my test in about a week though, so hopefully I'll get it by following the rules!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

sqooka wrote: »
    There were too many good responses there to quote people. But I'm glad to hear it's possible to pass with the more limited time you can spend practicing accompanied (though I think it has hampered how much practice I've been able to do, whatever anyone else wants to claim about it), because to be honest I just amn't comfortable breaking the law. That said, I also really appreciate people's honesty in admitting that they do it as at first all the reponses seemed to deny that this is happening, which it very clearly is. I've my test in about a week though, so hopefully I'll get it by following the rules!

Best of luck once you stay calm you'll pass easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Guess I could be considered the "hated" one :D
    I drove un-acompanied for months, did 6000 Miles myself. Then passed test in 1 go. Not saying people should do it, I wouldn't do it too but well I was ready to take charge and face consequences (yes I was ready to get points and pay up to 1000 euro fine, I had no problem with that as I realise I am breaking law and I am responsible for consequences). Was pointed it out by Garda few times, but mostly that encouraged me to pass my test from first time no matter what and apply for it asap is these forums. Ohh god the amount of bashing I got here from people for saying I drive alone.

sqooka wrote: »

Lots of luck to you in passing your test which I'm sure you'll ace! You can rest easy knowing you did it the right way. Ignore the idiots who advocate driving alone. If they were so great, you have to ask why they haven't bothered to sit the test...

Lots of luck to you in passing your test which I'm sure you'll ace! You can rest easy knowing you did it the right way. Ignore the idiots who advocate driving alone. If they were so great, you have to ask why they haven't bothered to sit the test...
    2 reasons.many have finished EDT's but..Haven't reached 6 months yet. Waiting list is 7 weeks.

ManMade wrote: »
    2 reasons.many have finished EDT's but..Haven't reached 6 months yet. Waiting list is 7 weeks.

What's your point? My husband waited 12 weeks to take his test...

• Advertisement

What's your point? My husband waited 12 weeks to take his test...
    They were my points. I'm not going to argue it's illegal, they lack experience and so on. But learners are still going to drive on their own.

Insurance: €2500
    Cost of fuel: €75 a tank
    Road tax: €500
    Cost of theory test:€40
    Cost of eye test: €20
    Cost of licence: €15 (now €50)
    EDTs: €500
    Future driving test: €80
    Chances of being caught solo driving and being prosecuted: Very Low
    If you are unlucky enough to be caught.
    Average fine: €150
    Penalty Points: 0
    Only on Ireland ..
    All I can say is its one of the very few benefits of living in Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1211/breaking7.html

ManMade wrote: »
    They were my points. I'm not going to argue it's illegal, they lack experience and so on. But learners are still going to drive on their own.

Insurance: €2500
    Cost of fuel: €75 a tank
    Road tax: €500
    Cost of theory test:€40
    Cost of eye test: €20
    Cost of licence: €15 (now €50)
    EDTs: €500
    Future driving test: €80
    Chances of being caught solo driving and being prosecuted: Very Low
    If you are unlucky enough to be caught.
    Average fine: €150
    Penalty Points: 0
    Only on Ireland ..
    All I can say is its one of the very few benefits of living in Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1211/breaking7.html

So? If you want to drive, those are the breaks. If you're cribbing about the cost, then you can't afford it!

Ireland is the only country in the world where this nonsense is tolerated - nay encouraged...:rolleyes:

So? If you want to drive, those are the breaks. If you're cribbing about the cost, then you can't afford it!

Ireland is the only country in the world where this nonsense is tolerated - nay encouraged...:rolleyes:
    I'm not cribbing about the costs and I can afford it. I was just showing how the punishment for driving on your own is so small when you look at the total cost of driving. Plus there are currently zero penalty points. Spending so much and not driving is a crime in my eyes.

Advertisement