Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Also, driving unaccompanied?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just curious about this one really, I've found as time wears on that I'm sick of having to drag my dad out driving with me. It's quite difficult to get him and I'm not getting nearly the amount of practice I'd get if I just flouted the law like so many others. I work in the same building as a test centre and everyday the majority of applicants roll up for their test unaccompanied. Of the hundreds I've seen, only a tiny handfull come accompanied which really bugs me. But what annoys me more is that from what I hear earwigging, the ones who come with someone keep failing while the learners who've been ignoring the rule are the ones who pass!!!! Just wondering have people who didn't drive unaccompanied still managed to get the practice to pass? Or are the majority of learners driving unaccompanied to get the practice in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

All my driving prior to my both my tests (B and EB) was done accompanied. Car test I failed first time round, probably due to lack of experience, but towing was fine. If I'd been driving around on my own I probably would have been ready to take the tests sooner, but I didn't fancy taking the risk and getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Yay! I just really hate seeing people get rewarded for breaking the rules like that. They should make you sign in with the fully licensed driver who came with you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

It drove me mad too (and still does). It seems very cheeky to me, going along unaccompanied to your driving test. I know it's a pain for whoever has to go along with you because they have to wait, but it's less than a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

I guess I can understand that maybe it's difficult to get someone to also take the time off work or whatever to come with you, and hopefully if you're doing your test you're capable of driving safely by yourself. But it still drives me bananas. But what's been eating away at me is the thought that if they're willing to turn up for their tests unsupervised they're probably more than willing to drive regularly unsupervised and I'd really hate to think that that's necessary to pass.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No reason or excuse to flout the law just because you want to.

Drive accompanied, do you 12 EDT lessons, and get the test as soon as possible. The quicker you get your license, the less time you'll have to sit worrying about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

The law was VERY much ignored in the past, including by the Gardai etc. Enforcement and penalties have been hugely increased again and again of late. A point to consider is that a lot of people do all their practice accompanied but don't ask the licenced driver to take a day off work for the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

sqooka wrote: »
    Just wondering have people who didn't drive unaccompanied still managed to get the practice to pass? Or are the majority of learners driving unaccompanied to get the practice in?

Sorry, but this is nonsense. I practiced accompanied by my driving instructor. And I passed. My husband had his lessons with an instructor. He practiced in our car with me sitting beside him as the licensed driver. He passed. In other words, we obeyed the law and STILL passed our driving tests! (Mine was in London though)

Funny, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

While I was learning, I never drove unaccompanied, I just didnt want to chance it. I got my own car last summer before my first test, so its not like I was relying on someone to give me the use of their car. For both of my driving tests (passed second time) I had someone come with me to the test centre. When I passed my test in December I found it strange being in the car on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

I know I'm going to upset a few people here including the op but i drove unaccompanied for 3 years solid without an accident in my own car and on my own policy before applying for the driving test which I got only 3 marks on. Went through numerous Garda checkpoints and when I showed them my Licence no problem. Might of been because I was polite and honest or that I didn't seem like a scrote or drive a lil boy racer car.

My advice to you would be to stop worrying about everyone else, concentrate on what you need to work on and best of luck in you next test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I drive unaccompanied because I have to. Otherwise I have no way of getting to work or collage. Nervous as hell the first few times but now I find I'm more confidant doing it alone. When someone else is with me I overthink everything, something the instructor has said I do from time to time. Any problems when with someone dont happen when I'm alone.

Have eight lessons done but cant actually do the full test before April at the earliest so there is nothing else I can do.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Have eight lessons done but cant actually do the full test before April at the earliest so there is nothing else I can do.

Rubbish! Of course there is something else you can do. You get lifts or get public transport. How on earth did you cope before you got the car??

I hate this kind of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rubbish! Of course there is something else you can do. You get lifts or get public transport. How on earth did you cope before you got the car??

I hate this kind of BS.

I started a new job about a month after I got a car, so about two months after I did my theory test. I can manage collage but work would require two buses before at least a 30 minute walk (or LUAS and about a 45 minute walk). Lift isnt happening either as I work nights so would have to be getting someone up out of bed for when I finish at 6am. Once would be fine, every time? No chance. If I was in work tonight, I'd be screwed since their is nobody else here to get a lift off.

Nothing else is practical for me to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I started a new job about a month after I got a car, so about two months after I did my theory test. I can manage collage but work would require two buses before at least a 30 minute walk (or LUAS and about a 45 minute walk). Lift isnt happening either as I work nights so would have to be getting someone up out of bed for when I finish at 6am. Once would be fine, every time? No chance. If I was in work tonight, I'd be screwed since their is nobody else here to get a lift off.

Either take public transport or look for other employment. When I was on my provisional I regularly ruled out jobs to apply for because I knew they'd be impossible to get to. You're not entitled to break the law for the sake of convenience, no matter how much you want to rationalise it. You should have thought about transport options before taking the job.

You live in or around Dublin - right? Here's a few ideas for you:

Taxis
    Car Share
    Getting a bus/ LUAS part of the way, then cab the rest

What's wrong with those? My husband did just that when he was learning, and we don't live in Dublin. What makes you different? Stop making excuses!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Shankly88 wrote: »
    I know I'm going to upset a few people here including the op but i drove unaccompanied for 3 years solid without an accident in my own car and on my own policy before applying for the driving test which I got only 3 marks on. Went through numerous Garda checkpoints and when I showed them my Licence no problem. Might of been because I was polite and honest or that I didn't seem like a scrote or drive a lil boy racer car.

My advice to you would be to stop worrying about everyone else, concentrate on what you need to work on and best of luck in you next test.

In the same position. 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

You live in or around Dublin - right? Here's a few ideas for you:
    What's wrong with those? My husband did just that when he was learning, and we don't live in Dublin. What makes you different? Stop making excuses!!!:mad:

Or he can just you know, be logical and realistic and just continue doing as he is.

Hes breaking a small and sometimes very trivial law, to get to a job/education. I fail to see the big problem, hes an active member of society trying to further himself, and who the hell would turn down a job due to driving on your own on a L plate in this economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just wondering have people who didn't drive unaccompanied still managed to get the practice to pass?

Never drove unaccompanied and managed to pass the test first time. No excuse for it tbh.

Or he can just you know, be logical and realistic and just continue doing as he is.

Hes breaking a small and sometimes very trivial law, to get to a job/education. I fail to see the big problem, hes an active member of society trying to further himself, and who the hell would turn down a job due to driving on your own on a L plate in this economy.

Ah shure. Go ahead and drive knowing you don't have a licence. It'll be grand...:rolleyes:

It is the law for a REASON!! Being in charge of a ton of steel that has the capacity to maim and kill without the piece of paper that says you are CAPABLE of controlling it is hardly trivial, IMHO...

What an idiotic response. It's only in Ireland we get such stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shankly88

has anyone got any statistics on how many road deaths are caused by learner drivers?? genuinely curios to know? it might change my opinion on the issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

lazygal wrote: »
    Either take public transport or look for other employment. When I was on my provisional I regularly ruled out jobs to apply for because I knew they'd be impossible to get to. You're not entitled to break the law for the sake of convenience, no matter how much you want to rationalise it. You should have thought about transport options before taking the job.

My god that post really bugs me. If he needs to drive to work he can drive. No way would I quit a job over that. We are in a recession you know and last thing we need is more young people on the dole. 450,000 unemployed you know like. If a guard stops him he won't get in trouble so why not drive on the road. I've been driving unaccompanied for 18 months, round 500 KM/H a week, went through around 6 checkpoints, guards didn't care.

The only way guards will do you if you are doing something stupid like speeding, on the phone etc. If you are driving normally they won't summons you.

bluewolf wrote: »

The fatalities involving unaccompanied drivers have accounted for one out of every 15 deaths on the roads since January 2009.

So the other 14 out of 15 are for full license drivers are they? Average seems right about right, I'd say 10-20% of learner drivers are on the roads are a little more.

I say get full license drivers off the road if there causing 14 out 15 deaths on the road.

areyawell wrote: »
    My god that post really bugs me. If he needs to drive to work he can drive. No way would I quit a job over that. We are in a recession you know and last thing we need is more young people on the dole. 450,000 unemployed you know like. If a guard stops him he won't get in trouble so why not drive on the road. I've been driving unaccompanied for 18 months, round 500 KM/H a week, went through around 6 checkpoints, guards didn't care.

The only way guards will do you if you are doing something stupid like speeding, on the phone etc. If you are driving normally they won't summons you.

You still at it, giving it the big 'un??

18 months and you STILL haven't taken your test? With all this driving you're doing you should be able to fly the test. But you haven't. Why is that??

You still at it, giving it the big 'un??

18 months and you STILL haven't taken your test? With all this driving you're doing you should be able to fly the test. But you haven't. Why is that??

Have it booked. Have it on February 4th, did a pre-test during the week and got 4 grade twos. Might get a driving lesson this week to see what he thinks as well.
    But telling someone to quit their job over something like it really annoys me.

And that article from the independent. 1 out of 15 deaths caused by learner drivers. So 14 out of 15 deaths are caused by full license drivers is it. I don't know the percentage of provisional drivers on the roads, probably 10-20% so that would actually make learner drivers safer by the law of averages.

Have it booked. Have it on February 4th, did a pre-test during the week and got 4 grade twos. Might get a driving lesson this week to see what he thinks as well.
    But telling someone to quit their job over something like it really annoys me.

Nobody suggested that poster quit his job. What he should do is find alternative means of transport and getting to work until he get his licence.

My husband worked nights, and did some unsocial hours, Guess what he did? Either I dropped him off/picked him up when able. Or he got a lift with a workmate, giving them a drop of petrol money to help out. We're not in Dublin where the transport is better (although still crap) than Cork.

Guess what? We managed. My husband now has a licence. And he did it without breaking the law. Again I ask: What makes you different??

bluewolf wrote: »

THREE unaccompanied learner drivers are involved in a fatal crash or one resulting in serious injury every month, new figures reveal.

THREE I REPEAT THREE, how many accidents happen with fully licensed drivers a month. I gauruntee its higher than three, probably in the hundreds going by threads on boards.

Nobody suggested that poster quit his job. What he should do is find alternative means of transport and getting to work until he get his licence.

My husband worked nights, and did some unsocial hours, Guess what he did? Either I dropped him off/picked him up when able. Or he got a lift with a workmate, giving them a drop of petrol money to help out. We're not in Dublin where the transport is better (although still crap) than Cork.

Guess what? We managed. My husband now has a licence. And he did it without breaking the law. Again I ask: What makes you different??
    A poster posted he should quit his job if he can't find alternative transport to work
    I'm not different, with the new law that is coming in, not sure if it is in yet but will be soon that if a learner driver is caught without a fully licensed driver not beside him they will get two penalty points. This is the same as speeding as holding a mobile phone while driving. I don't speed, I don't hold a mobile phone. Have a long at these penalty point statistics.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Penalty-Point-Statistics/

Its quite disgraceful the behavior of drivers. I'd say there's a few hundred thousand there now isn't there

A poster posted he should quit his job if he can't find alternative transport to work
    I'm not different, with the new law that is coming in, not sure if it is in yet but will be soon that if a learner driver is caught without a fully licensed driver not beside him they will get two penalty points. This is the same as speeding as holding a mobile phone while driving. I don't speed, I don't hold a mobile phone. Have a long at these penalty point statistics.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Penalty-Point-Statistics/

Its quite disgraceful the behavior of drivers. I'd say there's a few hundred thousand there now isn't there

Of which you're hoping to be one. Oh the irony....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Just curious about this one really, I've found as time wears on that I'm sick of having to drag my dad out driving with me. It's quite difficult to get him and I'm not getting nearly the amount of practice I'd get if I just flouted the law like so many others. I work in the same building as a test centre and everyday the majority of applicants roll up for their test unaccompanied. Of the hundreds I've seen, only a tiny handfull come accompanied which really bugs me. But what annoys me more is that from what I hear earwigging, the ones who come with someone keep failing while the learners who've been ignoring the rule are the ones who pass!!!! Just wondering have people who didn't drive unaccompanied still managed to get the practice to pass? Or are the majority of learners driving unaccompanied to get the practice in?
    I'm a learner but unfortunately I have the learn to drive insurance so I can't drive on my own for 2 more months . But once that period is up ...:D. The average fine is minuscule compared to the cost of insurance.

Have a read off this:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1211/breaking7.html

" Or are the majority of learners driving unaccompanied to get the practice in?"
    From my viewpoint yes the majority of people flout the requirement. To get in practice? No. Just normal a to b driving which in itself is learning.

If you are going to drive on your own, always keep your L plates up and if course drive safe and take no risks

Most importantly never expect a person to use their indicators on a roundabout. :/

If you feel uncomfortable breaking the law or object to learners driving solo then don't drive on your own.

• Advertisement

Of which you're hoping to be one. Oh the irony....:rolleyes:

No because the guards don't care. They know people know transport for college and work. If you do something stupid, they will summons you.

Advertisement