Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Inspectors going house to house

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

KTRIC wrote: »
    My licence is up at the end of the month. If I take the tuner card out of the tv and render it incapable of receiving a signal is that good enough ?

No it has been covered already. It can be deemed as repairable and you will still need a licence for your household.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

syklops wrote: »
    Thats a very scary thought. Imagine a debt collection agency won the tender to collect the TV license. They could theoretically use that law to gain entrance to premises to check if you have a TV, and when you show them that you do, and that you have a license, they take the TV with them to repay the debt.

Bad an all as An Post is, it could be much worse.
    No debt collection agency has the power to seize your goods, so that won't happen unless you offer it as payment. Your TV is safe, licence or no licence..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yawns wrote: »
    No it has been covered already. It can be deemed as repairable and you will still need a licence for your household.

The correct answer is yes! Removing the tuner renders your tv incapable of receiving the signal so it no longer requires a licence but if the tuner is left in the tv but just broken or disconnected it would be repairable.

I'm pretty sure if your tv had a tuner and you removed it, you would still need a licence as it would be deemed to be repairable. It's not the same for a pc monitor which comes standard without a tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm pretty sure if your tv had a tuner and you removed it, you would still need a licence as it would be deemed to be repairable. It's not the same for a pc monitor which comes standard without a tuner.

Surely its the same as putting a tv tuner card into a PC or not putting it into a pc.

• Advertisement

I think if you stick a tuner into a pc would technically need a licence too but pcs don't come with tuners as standard where tvs do. Just like pc monitors don't have tuners so you don't need one. However if you remove a tuner, it could be repaired to original manufacturer state, ie repair the tuner and it works again.

Just from what I can grab off citizen's information website. Most other stuff is generally an post links and how to pay. Nothing about if you remove a tuner specifically so I guess you'd need to see if a court case sprung up to confirm.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da
    You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal.
    Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I suppose you could look at it as a "physically have a TV on your premises" licence, as opposed to an "ability to watch/receive channels" licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

delta36 wrote: »
    I suppose you could look at it as a "physically have a TV on your premises" licence, as opposed to an "ability to watch/receive channels" licence.

Even if you don't have a TV but have internet or a decent phone you need a licence.

Even if you don't have a TV but have internet or a decent phone you need a licence.

This was proposed but didn't actually happen, see post 97 above.

I think if you stick a tuner into a pc would technically need a licence too but pcs don't come with tuners as standard where tvs do. Just like pc monitors don't have tuners so you don't need one. However if you remove a tuner, it could be repaired to original manufacturer state, ie repair the tuner and it works again.

Just from what I can grab off citizen's information website. Most other stuff is generally an post links and how to pay. Nothing about if you remove a tuner specifically so I guess you'd need to see if a court case sprung up to confirm.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da
    any device that has a tuner capable of receiving the signal requires a licence to be held for the address where the device is used.

If you remove the tuner from a tv then it is not broken and CAN'T be repaired because it is gone and your television is no longer a television! It becomes a monitor which is incapable of receiving the signal so no longer requires a licence, (You could then use your new monitor to watch streamed content without the need for a licence)

But if you break the tuner then it is still possible to repair it and recieve the signal so you still need a licence.

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal.
    This apparatus would be a tuner or other equipment capable of receiving the signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    any device that has a tuner capable of receiving the signal requires a licence to be held for the address where the device is used.

If you remove the tuner from a tv then it is not broken and CAN'T be repaired because it is gone and your television is no longer a television! It becomes a monitor which is incapable of receiving the signal so no longer requires a licence, (You could then use your new monitor to watch streamed content without the need for a licence)

But if you break the tuner then it is still possible to repair it and receive the signal so you still need a license.

While your argument is sound, there is no certification program in place to ascertain if the tv is 'repairable' or 'disabled from receiving a tv signal'

Similar to when VRT ing a commercial vehicle to see if its actually a commercial vehicle for tax purposes.

So while you would be right, currently there is no way of proving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I'm calling bull**** on this. We have signed up for UPC and bought a new tv in the last two years and still get tv license letters addressed to "the occupant". I have shut the door on the inspector several times over this period. Surely if what you're saying is true we would have been done by now?

Yep agree this is total bull and an urban legend. Friend of mine bought his first house in 1995 (18 years ago!!!!) and since then has NEVER had a tv licence. Said he does not believe in them!!! Moved house a couple of times and set up new accounts with Sky etc, still no hassle, so that put paid to the sky lists etc.

FACT: they cant send a summons to the Occupier!

Once they get your name once, though, you are done!

Friend said he met the inspector one day coming out of his house and inspector was coming in to ring the bell. Friend said, I dont live there. Inspector says whats your name. Friend said, I'm not telling you, I dont live there. Inspector says, well who lives there. Friend said, I am not getting involved, you will have to come back and see them yourself. End of conversation. He said the feckers can be sneaky with the bins though and will watch out for labels and get a name from there and you are fubarred.

I asked him does it bother him being a TV sponger, he shrugged and said he could live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

irish-stew wrote: »
    Yes. Doesn't have to be connected, it just has to have the capabilty of being used to watch TV.
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that is the height of retardation.
    What would be retarded is a law that allowed somebody to simply disconnect the coax from their TV if an inspector comes and just claim they are not connected.

The whole situation is ridiculous, imagine being able to hide behind the curtain when the ESB came, or income tax man, and just never pay it.

An post say 99% of households should be paying it, so why not just make them all pay, just include it in normal taxation, like a housebound person has to pay tax towards footpaths though they might not use them -the majority does. Its crazy to be squandering so much money trying to catch people, wasting court time, filling the TV time with ads telling you to pay, administration costs etc.

uberalles wrote: »
    We avoided a licence for 10 years.
    Quandary wrote: »
    havent paid the TV licence for the last 5 years. We have gotten plenty reminders but have ignored them all, and so far, no consequences.
    There have been consequences, the license fees go up to cover the shortfall, this is part of the reason it is so high. You are in effect stealing from me and anybody else you pays your share. You are a thief, simple & plain.
    BizzyC wrote: »
    The fact that RTE line their pockets by collecting licence fees, while also selling advertising is ridiculous.
    They shouldn't be allowed to do both.
    If the ads were banned the fee would skyrocket even more. I prefer the ad option. I would prefer it to be an optional subscription service and be given the choice.
    While your argument is sound, there is no certification program in place to ascertain if the tv is 'repairable' or 'disabled from receiving a tv signal'
    This is what I was asking in another thread. I have a plasma which came with no tuner, but one be got and can easily plug into it. I wondered if ones like these are deemed "repairable".

Similar to when VRT ing a commercial vehicle to see if its actually a commercial vehicle for tax purposes.

So while you would be right, currently there is no way of proving that.

The inspector calls and requests you produce a licence, you tell them you don't require one as your "monitor" is not capable of receiving the signal as the tuner has been "removed". Inspector then arranges to inspect your equipment and is left satisfied that you don't have equipment capable of receiving the signal!

The inspectors may have some training or background in televisions, tuners etc and would know by checking inside a tv if the tuner had been removed or just disabled.

It is not the same as the VRT at all as once you state you don't own a television or device capable of receiving the signal it is then up to the authority to prove you are lying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

rubadub wrote: »
    An post say 99% of households should be paying it, so why not just make them all pay, just include it in normal taxation, like a housebound person has to pay tax towards footpaths though they might not use them -the majority does. Its crazy to be squandering so much money trying to catch people, wasting court time, filling the TV time with ads telling you to pay, administration costs etc.

So the government should provide for taxes to finance a private corporation? Can you not see where this might lead? You're right though. The whole situation is ridiculous. RTE should be cut off and left fend for itself. Newstalk and TV3 can survive just fine without TV licence money and I can't say I watch/listen to RTE anymore than the former.

It would actually make more sense for RTE to merge with BBC and have a regional news like BBC Scotland but I am sure that idea would be a non starter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Personally I do not equate the quality of service TV3 provide with the quality of service RTE provide. One is a public broadcaster and the other is solely for profit and what ever the BAI force them to do as part of their licence.

I for one would not want RTE to function as a "for profit" organisation. Neither would I see a merger with the bbc as being in the national interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well then let people like you pay an opt in licence fee and leave the rest of us in peace

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well then let people like you pay an opt in licence fee and leave the rest of us in peace

Fine with me. But until then how about everyone just pays their legally mandated taxes like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Inspector in my area goes around with the postman that way he knows who lives where.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Fine with me. But until then how about everyone just pays their legally mandated taxes like me.

I'll pass thanks

not a tax btw. Licence
    donalg1 wrote: »
    Inspector in my area goes around with the postman that way he knows who lives where.

That would be against the law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I'll pass thanks

not a tax btw. Licence
    donalg1 wrote: »

That would be against the law

Well that's what he does.

I'll pass thanks

not a tax btw. Licence

When you've got no arguement that's usually the safest play to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wheelie Bins are a give-away as well these days . - with the name and address on most bins -.

I have read all 9 pages of this thread and nobody has mentioned if they got this leaflet in their letterbox .

Was wondering if it is been delivered to all households .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

uberalles wrote: »
    Good reason to buy your TV up norn iron so

Or just have it delivered to your work address or the address of someone who has a licence.
    Living in an apartment, have no intention of ever getting one. 160 euro just to have a tv before you even get upc/sky is a joke, especially when you look at how they spend that money.

Reduce the wages of the massively overpaid presenters and lower the licence fee, then i'd probably pay it

But it isn't. All you need is proof of purchase?

And I would find it hard to believe that the shop would be allowed to do this when you consider An Post are not allowed even use the name and address on the letters they deliver to your house for TV licence purposes.

It probably wouldn't be reliable anyway, I get more letters through my letter box for other people than for people living in the 2 bed apartment. Going by the letters we recieve, about 20 people live here

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

colly10 wrote: »
    Reduce the wages of the massively overpaid presenters ... then i'd probably pay it

While a Sky sports subscription goes towards supporting the likes of Wayne Rooney's hand to mouth existence.

MarkK wrote: »
    While a Sky sports subscription goes towards supporting the likes of Wayne Rooney's hand to mouth existence.

True, but I can choose not to get the sports channels, or I can decide it's worth it and pay. If tubridy and kenny were pay per view they'd be out of jobs in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Wheelie Bins are a give-away as well these days . - with the name and address on most bins -.

I have read all 9 pages of this thread and nobody has mentioned if they got this leaflet in their letterbox .

Was wondering if it is been delivered to all households .

lol, that was the original question the OP asked, wasn't it?

I didn't get any in my letter box, though by an odd coincidence the day this thread was started was pretty much the time I needed to renew my licence.

When you've got no arguement that's usually the safest play to make.

Read the thread if you want to see my argument. I am sure other posters do not want me repeating the same posts over and over again

• Advertisement

Read the thread if you want to see my argument. I am sure other posters do not want me repeating the same posts over and over again

It still boils down to the fact that if someone has a TV and doesn't pay the licence fee then they're breaking the law. There's lots of taxes and licence fees I dont agree with but I still pay them (although the TV licence isn't one of them I disagree with).

Canvass your public representatives to get them to change the law, but in the mean time pay the fee.

Advertisement