Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Licence Inspectors going house to house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

But let's face it an old person will pay more for heating as they will generally need it on more frequently and for longer periods. While I do hate the old pensioners are frail and they are poor line, I wouldn't care if they got a free licence and spent that €160 on gas for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Del2005 wrote: »
    The licence is for a device capable of receiving a TV signal. Since I, and a lot of other people, have used a coat hanger before to receive TV signals then everyone needs a licence. Only way out is to buy a monitor and only watch downloads/streaming, but that's going to change soon

Why are you leaving the country? The licence isn't for the signal it's for having a receiver

I'm not leaving the country, but in a few weeks the analogue signal is going to be switched off, leaving only digital which means you need an antennae and a digital box of some sort (unless your TV has it inbuilt, which, unless it's new, it won't) to be able to receive the free few channels in Ireland. As I don't have an antennae or a digital box, I'm not going to be able to receive free view without shelling out a chunk of money.

Edit: To clarify after reading through the rest of this thread, I know the current law is that you pay for a TV licence if you have a TV, regardless if you use it for watching TV. I'm just saying it's kinda sh1tty that I have to pay it, as in another few weeks I won't be able to receive a signal without paying out for more hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

delta36 wrote: »
    I'm not leaving the country, but in a few weeks the analogue signal is going to be switched off, leaving only digital which means you need an antennae and a digital box of some sort (unless your TV has it inbuilt, which, unless it's new, it won't) to be able to receive the free few channels in Ireland. As I don't have an antennae or a digital box, I'm not going to be able to receive free view without shelling out a chunk of money.

Edit: To clarify after reading through the rest of this thread, I know the current law is that you pay for a TV licence if you have a TV, regardless if you use it for watching TV. I'm just saying it's kinda sh1tty that I have to pay it, as in another few weeks I won't be able to receive a signal without paying out for more hardware.

I don't think there's anything you can do with a TV except watch it, unless it's switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

uberalles wrote: »
    Good reason to buy your TV up norn iron so

Just give yer grannies address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 trumi

Here you can check what is excluded from the "television set":
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/si/0319.html

I need an advice as well :-)

I don't have TV. I have radio and, sometimes, I watch TV in streaming on my laptop or Iphone or Ipad.

Should I pay the TV license?

Thank you in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything you can do with a TV except watch it, unless it's switched off.
    Well, as opposed to watching TV programs you can use it for consoles/computers/DVDs etc. (Not sure if you were joking in that post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

AFAIK they changed the act in 2009 so that television means pretty much any device. Computer, smart phone whatever.

That was a thread in After hours. It was shown to be incorrect around page 8 or so.

A television license is for possession of a television or any device capable of receiving a television signal. It does not include watching the RTE player on your phone.
    At the moment the law according to citizensinformationboard.ie is ...

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

Arguably once the analogue signal is switched off you won't have a device or television capable of receiving a signal and therefore will not be liable. I'm sure it will be tested in court unless the law has been modified.

Above the bit you quoted it also says:
    Digital switchover

The EU has decided that all member states must stop broadcasting analogue television by the end of 2012. Saorview is the free-to-air digital terrestrial television (DTT) service which will replace analogue television in Ireland. It is owned and managed by RTE. Saorsat, a satellite service, will provide access to Irish free-to-air digital television channels and services for those unable to receive Saorview. The analogue television service in Ireland will be switched off on the 24 October 2012. More information is available at saorview.ie and at goingdigital.ie.

When the analogue television service is switched off your analogue television set will need a set-top box to receive digital television. Your analogue television set, with or without a set-top box, will still require a television licence.

So the same answer still applies. "Argubly blah..." Yes, you need a TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The digital switch over was a ideal opportunity for RTE to get money instead of trying to get people pay for licence.

Instead of allowing SKY to show RTE.They should have set up their own subscription service.If you wanted RTE etc you had to pay 10 euro per month.

I'm sure that would create more revenue than a yearly license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

dave1982 wrote: »
    The digital switch over was a ideal opportunity for RTE to get money instead of trying to get people pay for licence.

Instead of allowing SKY to show RTE.They should have set up their own subscription service.If you wanted RTE etc you had to pay 10 euro per month.

I'm sure that would create more revenue than a yearly license.

1. It's not up to RTE to do this, the government decides.

2. It costs a lot of money to administer a subscription system with cards and encryption.

3. Lots or people would make do with BBC etc. for free on satellite and not pay €10 a month.

4. Much of RTEs income is from adverts. Less viewers means less advertising income, double whammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I dont beleive UPC or Sky pass on your details. Ive had upc for years in 4 different houses , setting up a new account in each one. Ive also bought new tvs and have given my address. Ive never got a request for a tv license until my current house.

Here I think the previous owner rang them up and told them shed moved out hence they knew there was someone new and they had no license attached to my address. Ive had a few calls and letters but i dont open the door at night and any letters without my name on them go in the bin :-)

Ill gladly pay when RTE are not allowed get revenue from advertising like BBC and start using the money for good programs not expensive wages

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rtg78

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But it isn't. All you need is proof of purchase?

And I would find it hard to believe that the shop would be allowed to do this when you consider An Post are not allowed even use the name and address on the letters they deliver to your house for TV licence purposes.

I don't know If they are not allowed to do that or not but they certainly did that with me! The letters used to be addressed to occupier now they have my name on it. Where else could they get the name from?
    Anyway TV license is one tax/charge I am refusing to pay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I didn't have a TV while living in an apartment a few years ago; TV licence guys calls. I say I don't have a TV, he then asks if he can look around.

I say no. He says he has the right to look around, I tell him if he goes before a judge with cause and gets a warrant I will be obliged to allow him in. As I didn't have a TV I doubt he had cause to convince a judge.

He left without coming back. However, I was curious so looked up the Act

section 146

(3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.

Doesn't mention a warrant. I can't see how this could be constitutional having regard to the inviolability of the dwelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

"5. The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not be forcibly entered save in accordance with law."

It most likely is not constitutional but has not been tested to date by the courts. The Inspector will never force his way into your home and as you say if you just refuse him entry they will go away with their tails between their legs.
    It is a strange law though as theoretically it gives a TV license inspector more power than the Gardai in certain situations and when you consider that An Post won the tender for collection that could have been won by any private company it could be a frightening power if used by certain people

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    "5. The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not be forcibly entered save in accordance with law."

It most likely is not constitutional but has not been tested to date by the courts. The Inspector will never force his way into your home and as you say if you just refuse him entry they will go away with their tails between their legs.
    It is a strange law though as theoretically it gives a TV license inspector more power than the Gardai in certain situations and when you consider that An Post won the tender for collection that could have been won by any private company it could be a frightening power if used by certain people

Thats a very scary thought. Imagine a debt collection agency won the tender to collect the TV license. They could theoretically use that law to gain entrance to premises to check if you have a TV, and when you show them that you do, and that you have a license, they take the TV with them to repay the debt.

Bad an all as An Post is, it could be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

snowey07 wrote: »

Ill gladly pay when RTE are not allowed get revenue from advertising like BBC and start using the money for good programs not expensive wages

The BBC have a population of 62,641,000 over 50,350 sq miles. RTE have a population of 4,487,000 over 27,136 sq miles. That's some difference to run an organisation that similarly provide the same services. I for one can see why RTE need the tv licence and advertising revenue and similarly why the BBC do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Living in the UK now, I have no trouble paying TV licence.

Why?
    Because the BBC actually do decent programming which isn't interupted by advertising....

The fact that RTE line their pockets by collecting licence fees, while also selling advertising is ridiculous.
    They shouldn't be allowed to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

BizzyC wrote: »

Why?
    Because the BBC actually do decent programming which isn't interupted by advertising....

The fact that RTE line their pockets by collecting licence fees, while also selling advertising is ridiculous.

BBC gets 3.6 billion pounds a year (€4.6 Billion) in license fees.
    RTE gets less than €200 million a year in license fees.

The BBC has over 20 times more license money to spend on a programme then RTE does, so they can afford to do it without advertising.

People are forking out hundreds of euro a year for Sky Sports which has loads of adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

foggy_lad wrote: »

And upc, sky etc are obliged by law to notify the licencing authority, as are any retailers selling the equipment.

I'm calling bull**** on this. We have signed up for UPC and bought a new tv in the last two years and still get tv license letters addressed to "the occupant". I have shut the door on the inspector several times over this period. Surely if what you're saying is true we would have been done by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I'm calling bull**** on this. We have signed up for UPC and bought a new tv in the last two years and still get tv license letters addressed to "the occupant". I have shut the door on the inspector several times over this period. Surely if what you're saying is true we would have been done by now?

They don't have your name, just the address that receives their service.

They don't have your name, just the address that receives their service.

That's not what Foggy_Lad was saying.

Either way we no longer have a UPC box, saorview box etc... I have no intention of paying any money to the government for owning a piece of equipment which I paid VAT at the point of purchase and continue to pay tax on through the cost of running it.

As far as I can see the only way of being stung is by giving your name at the door.

BizzyC wrote: »

Why?

I dont mind RTE having ads on so much. What does annoy me, is when they try to compete with the BBC and Sky for expensive programmes. Top Gear for example. They put Top Gear on at the same time as Top Gear on BBC1. The majority of people have BBC1, so will watch Top Gear on BBC1 because there is no ads. The few unfortunates who dont have BBC1 are doomed to watch TG on RTE, but the numbers watching it are a lot smaller than they would be if they showed it at a different time. So as well as paying big bucks to broadcast the show at the same time as the BBC are, they are not getting the full potential size of audience.

They did the same, competing with Sky for Lost and other prime time shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

syklops wrote: »
    I dont mind RTE having ads on so much. What does annoy me, is when they try to compete with the BBC and Sky for expensive programmes. Top Gear for example. They put Top Gear on at the same time as Top Gear on BBC1. The majority of people have BBC1, so will watch Top Gear on BBC1 because there is no ads. The few unfortunates who dont have BBC1 are doomed to watch TG on RTE, but the numbers watching it are a lot smaller than they would be if they showed it at a different time. So as well as paying big bucks to broadcast the show at the same time as the BBC are, they are not getting the full potential size of audience.

They did the same, competing with Sky for Lost and other prime time shows.

Absolutely! We pay a licence fee for public service broadcasting, okay fair enough!

Tell RTE to sell RTE 2 and stop RTE 1 showing shows which we can watch for free on BBC or on RTE 2 if they want to use their ad revenue to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't mind if people rant about RTE, even if I think that some of the rants are a bit unreasonable.

But I do mind that people try to justify breaking the law: if you have a television (within the broad definition that now applies) you are required by law to have a licence. Why should I, who meets my legal obligations, have to cover the cost of those who cheat?

Why should I, who meets my legal obligations, have to cover the cost of those who cheat?

Do you think the tv license would be less if everyone paid? I doubt it. I don't use RTE so I have no intention of paying for them. End of.

Do you think the tv license would be less if everyone paid? I doubt it. I don't use RTE so I have no intention of paying for them. End of.

Hmm by that logic I've never collected the dole nor used the public health system. I should stop paying PRSI and the health levy so.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Hmm by that logic I've never collected the dole nor used the public health system. I should stop paying PRSI and the health levy so.

A functioning social welfare system and public health system are important to society. This is why these taxes are collected directly from your wage packet.

RTE could **** off in the morning and it would have a negligible affect on society. This is why you have to volunteer to pay the tax.

A functioning social welfare system and public health system are important to society. This is why these taxes are collected directly from your wage packet.

RTE could **** off in the morning and it would have a negligible affect on society. This is why you have to volunteer to pay the tax.

In your opinion RTE disappearing would have negligible impact on society. Others would disagree.
    A functional and fully funded national broadcaster is also important to society...in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My licence is up at the end of the month. If I take the tuner card out of the tv and render it incapable of receiving a signal is that good enough ?

Advertisement