Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kikimull

Hi . How are yous. Im new to this board. I was looking up imformation on the garda reserve as i had registered to volunteer when the new recruitment drive started. I was lucky enough to place 4 in wicklow, on that i was invited into stage 2 where a interview was conducted in chapter house with a retired member of the force and a lady from public jobs. Although i was very nervous it went well and i recieved a email a week or 2 after saying i was succesful and i will be now be forwarded onto a medical and garda vetting. I sent my br form in which was sent back due to no date of birth of my grandfather (who i never knew). I disclosed this is a letter. Since then i have heard back nothing. I see from reading through this board that people have had a meeting with there local skipper, im just concerned how my application whi went so quick has came to a hault. Do u recieve a email regarding a meeting with your local skipper or do your local station ring you personaly. I keep thinking maybe its something to do with my br form although iv never been in trouble before. I hope this board and people on it who has been in same situation might have some imformation. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Kikimull wrote: »
    Hi . How are yous. Im new to this board. I was looking up imformation on the garda reserve as i had registered to volunteer when the new recruitment drive started. I was lucky enough to place 4 in wicklow, on that i was invited into stage 2 where a interview was conducted in chapter house with a retired member of the force and a lady from public jobs. Although i was very nervous it went well and i recieved a email a week or 2 after saying i was succesful and i will be now be forwarded onto a medical and garda vetting. I sent my br form in which was sent back due to no date of birth of my grandfather (who i never knew). I disclosed this is a letter. Since then i have heard back nothing. I see from reading through this board that people have had a meeting with there local skipper, im just concerned how my application whi went so quick has came to a hault. Do u recieve a email regarding a meeting with your local skipper or do your local station ring you personaly. I keep thinking maybe its something to do with my br form although iv never been in trouble before. I hope this board and people on it who has been in same situation might have some imformation. Thanks again.

Hi man im in the same boat, ive rang a few times, there under alot of pressure as you know the full time and reserves are both recruiting, the person or people i spoke to in Garda HRM (they have our applications) said its down to the person its self and everyone is different.. u thought they went region by region but No! They apparently go based on results.. how quick your checks come back, apparentley, but i have heard nothing either so hang tight

So i know this is off topic but a friend of mine recieved a phone call to go and meet the local SGT, she thought it was for the reserves, but infact it is for the full time? I find that a bit strange? She is on to stage 3 like myself for the full time which is interview but both of us dont have a date yet as results arent ling out from the last stage, so my question is do you meet a local SGT before even getting your interview? Because this is new to me.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Hi, I have my interview for the Garda Reserve next weekend, I'm wondering what to wear? Any advice appreciated. I'm a male by the way. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Viking123

vardy98 wrote: »
    Hi, I have my interview for the Garda Reserve next weekend, I'm wondering what to wear? Any advice appreciated. I'm a male by the way. Thanks.

I went in a full suit and clean shaven. Best of luck in it lad!

• Advertisement

Thanks very much viking 123, how did it go for you? I'm super nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Viking123

vardy98 wrote: »
    Thanks very much viking 123, how did it go for you? I'm super nervous.

It went great, I got word 5 days after I did it saying I passed, waiting for the interview/chat with the sergeant or the Super, don't be nervous, the board are very nice, they aren't out to kill you, but once you answer them clearly you'll have nothing to fear. Make sure you drink the water they give you to relax a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

Hi all,
    quick question does any one know whats involved on medical examinations?

2016claire wrote: »
    Hi all,
    quick question does any one know whats involved on medical examinations?

If you look on Garda.ie it will tell you everything, there is no blood tests only urine. Hope his helps too much to detail

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boscorelli

SO7378 wrote: »
    Is everyone or anyone still waiting for Sergeant/inspector interview??? Ive placed 3 in Sligo/Leitrim still nothing yet... idk whats going on... full time garda process seems to be moving faster... curious to know how many of you are in he same boat!

Thanks all

For obvious reasons recruitment for full time members is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

Here is what happened in my Medical back in 2015.You'll get plenty of info throughout the Reserve section of Boards ref Medical.Hope this helps.

12-05-2017, 11:30 #2 donman
    blue_star_1.gif

Adverts | Friends

Hi Hawker Hurricane,you do need a certain level of fitness,but not to the level of fulltime,as you don't have to do the circuit or push/pull for the Reserves.I can assure you,I'm not the fittest person on the block,but the role i perform in a voluntary capacity,means i need a certain level of fitness,but I'm no athlete.I passed the Reserve medical back in 2015,but Training was cancelled so have to redo it now again,whenever that will be.On the day of my medical,you are directed at the gate,to where the medicals are being performed.You go to the window and are given a paper to fill in.Can't remember all the questions on it,but there's not many,but it will ask for your doctors phone number,so if you remember to have that noted somewhere or on your phone even.If you hadn't time to get any medical documents in,have them with you.Firstly,the nurse calls you in.You are given a plastic container and have to provide a urine sample.Obviously not right there in front of the nurse,lol.I think she does a quick test on it for diabetes or whatever,not 100% sure on that.She will take you bloodpressure,do a lung capacity test(Blow into a small tube,which has a slider on it.The harder you can blow,the further the slider will go).She checks you height and weight.Your BMI must be 30 or below.You then go into a booth and put on headphones,for your hearing test.My advise is,breath very lightly and concentrate alot for the bleeps.Once you've completed all that,your sent upstairs to a waiting room,where you will then see the Doctor.You'll be asked to look into a machine,which checks your eyesight.Then you'll be asked to tell what the numbers are on a colour blindness chart.Maybe 4 or 5 slides.You then have to do a touch your toes,while the doctor looks on.You then get up on the bed,where she checks your abdomen for any issues.You then sit down and he/she goes through your medical report,and if you've done well,then you are told you've passed or not.Before you leave,you go back to the window downstairs,and inform them of your result,and if you've passed,they will give you an idea of a training date,if they have it,or will say that they will be in contact in due course.Hope that all helps.

Fulltime will take priority.When they find a gap,they will take Reserves in.Some here will wait a long time before they get in.I'll be 6 years waiting in February.If Training had went ahead in 2015,i'd still have waited 3.5 years.So,everyone will be so different and how they progress.Some will fly through,and others will be so frustrated at the whole process and delay/s.It's a complete waiting game,and one which you have no control over.Just be prepared for the wait,and hopefully we'll soon get to Templemore.

Boscorelli wrote: »
    For obvious reasons recruitment for full time members is more important.

As you can see im looking to see “ where everyone is at” and to reply to what you said, the reserve recruitment is just as important, as it has become an issue and a problem with significantly low numbers so your wrong there.

Full time are recruiting every quarter in the year with about 200 each time so theres always going to be recruitment, that doesnt mean the reserves get put on hold, there expecting a class to start after or if not before christmas.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boscorelli

As you can see im looking to see “ where everyone is at” and to reply to what you said, the reserve recruitment is just as important, as it has become an issue and a problem with significantly low numbers so your wrong there.

Full time are recruiting every quarter in the year with about 200 each time so theres always going to be recruitment, that doesnt mean the reserves get put on hold, there expecting a class to start after or if not before christmas.

Thank you

How is low numbers in the reserve an issue or a problem exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Trackerjacker

Thank you

That's BS ....

I rang HQ only a few days ago and they had no idea when the next reserve class will be , its in the "early stages" is what I was told and that it would be next year before any medicals or classes would be organised.

That's BS ....

I rang HQ only a few days ago and they had no idea when the next reserve class will be , its in the "early stages" is what I was told and that it would be next year before any medicals or classes would be organised.

Well thats coming from a chief super so id be inclined to listen to him as HQ and HRM dont know what there doing half the time.

Well thats coming from a chief super so id be inclined to listen to him as HQ and HRM dont know what there doing half the time.

If they where bringing people for medicals now I'd 100% agree with you that a class could happen soon, but they will give 2 or 3 weeks notice before the medical and then after everyone has done a medical which could take up to another 3 weeks to get through everyone. it could be another month after that before ya would here about a start date , and alot of people Haven't even finished with the sergeant and super meetings yet., and that could take ad least another 2 or 3 months so at earliest it will be March/April , but my guess is that it will be summer 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Guys I've my interview & written exam for stage 2 on the 14th. Someone who's already sat this stage pm , I've a few questions I need to ask it'll be great!

Kind regards
    CIAn

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    Guys I've my interview & written exam for stage 2 on the 14th. Someone who's already sat this stage pm , I've a few questions I need to ask it'll be great!

Kind regards
    CIAn

I'm up on the 14th as well lad, so nervous about it, I hate interviews.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Feel free to ask questions on thread, it'll benefit the group. The process is very straight forward however, so there isn't much that can't be answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 limerick53

hi all , in relation to the br form, I got mine sent back due to missing dates for relatives etc , I filled in as best I could but I havent heard back since .. is this a problem for continuing the process,? any one else experienced this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

limerick53 wrote: »
    hi all , in relation to the br form, I got mine sent back due to missing dates for relatives etc , I filled in as best I could but I havent heard back since .. is this a problem for continuing the process,? any one else experienced this?

I had the same thing. I added some more dates that I had been waiting on, but still had some that would remain unknown. I have not heard anything back since the second form went back. My own theory is that they push back at least once, but they must have a lot of forms that will never be fully completed, especially for us over the hill types.

delly wrote: »
    I had the same thing. I added some more dates that I had been waiting on, but still had some that would remain unknown. I have not heard anything back since the second form went back. My own theory is that they push back at least once, but they must have a lot of forms that will never be fully completed, especially for us over the hill types.

think you right delly ..hope we get to hear back soon ! one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I am still waiting on the meeting with the super. I may not go as they are only valid for 6 months , they being the br checks and medical after 6 months you must re do it all again as I have done. A bit of advice save a copy of the br form onto your computer to use it again next year. Training not until next year so you can expect to re do it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

think you right delly ..hope we get to hear back soon ! one way or another

im in same boat i did my interview back in August, got an e-mail from them with some info missing i emailed back with the info as much as i could and nothing since then. im sure they will contact us soon

tks all ,I had my interview in sept, from reading others posts it seems a long drawn out process! would be quicker getting into the FBI !

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

tks all ,I had my interview in sept, from reading others posts it seems a long drawn out process! would be quicker getting into the FBI !

Have you heard of you've passed? You should be on the medical by now? Any tips of the interview & written exam , mine is in the 14th quite nervous?

hi I passed, waitin on medical. dont sweat thinking too much of interview.. it wasnt as bad as I thought! have examples of the 4 areas they will be concentrating on as outlined in preparation for interview. as far as written test ..read the questions carefully before answering is all I can advise

Department of Justice and Equality
    Garda Reserve

All Written Answers on 10 Oct 2017 « Previous answer Next answer »

Photo of John CurranJohn Curran (Dublin Mid West, Fianna Fail)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

203. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the progress which has been made in recruiting Garda reserves in view of the fact that funding has been provided to recruit 300 Garda reserves in 2017; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [42538/17]

Photo of John CurranJohn Curran (Dublin Mid West, Fianna Fail)

204. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the progress which has been made in recruiting Garda recruits in view of the fact that funding has been provided to recruit 800 Garda recruits in 2017; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [42539/17]

Photo of Charles FlanaganCharles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)

I propose to take Questions Nos. 203 and 204 together.

This Government is committed to ensuring a strong and visible police presence throughout the country in order to maintain and strengthen community engagement, provide reassurance to citizens and deter crime. To make this a reality for all, the Government has in place a plan to achieve an overall Garda workforce of 21,000 personnel by 2021 comprising 15,000 Garda members, 2,000 Reserve members and 4,000 civilians.

Taking account of projected retirements, reaching a strength of 15,000 by 2021 will require some 2,400 new Garda members to be recruited on a phased basis over the next three years in addition to the 2,000 that will have been recruited by the end of this year since the reopening of the Garda College in September 2014.

The workforce plan is progressing apace. I am informed by the Commissioner, since the reopening of the Garda College in September 2014 that close to 1,400 recruits have attested as members of An Garda Síochána and have been assigned to mainstream duties nationwide. I am also informed that another 200 trainee Garda are scheduled to attest later this year which will see Garda numbers, taking account of projected retirements, increase to around the 13,500 mark by year end - an increase of 500 since the end of 2016. In addition to this, a further 800 Garda trainees are expected to attest in 2018.

I am pleased to announce today that I have secured sufficient funding to provide for the recruitment of another 800 new Garda recruits in 2018, which will ensure that the planned Garda strength of 15,000 by 2021 remains on course.

In relation to the Garda Reserve, which has significant potential to be a visible presence on the ground engaging with local communities funding has been provided for the recruitment of 300 new Reserves this year. That process is well underway with the Public Appointments Service undertaking the selection process on behalf of the Commissioner. It is expected that successful candidates from will enter training early in the New Year. I am also pleased that Budget 2018 will facilitate the continued strengthening of the Reserve next year.

• Advertisement

Donman I was just going to message you with that haha

How early is early I wonder ?

Advertisement