Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hey folks, quick question I've got a full ssd, does any one know the name of the program that scans your hard drive, windows 10 did a poxy update, and now i have a full ssd :/

Run disk cleanup and select the option to scan for system files(bottom left).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

yeah something like space monger, but it was a bit different in how it looked any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

yeah something like space monger, but it was a bit different in how it looked any recommendations?

I use treesize

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

It's got a tree as it's shortcut launch but I can click but it allows me to see the cells, and right click and go into the folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ED E wrote: »
    Quality of this

3d-pro-gaming-joystick-images.png

And features of this

26-280-021-TS?$S640$

Is a very appealing combo I have to say. IF they can pull it off.

From memory I've never had a logitech device fail on me.

The Warthog is from Thrustmaster so expect something more like

Screenshot_2015-10-15_10.06.54.0.png

Will be interesting to see if Logitech invest the cash in the manufacturing process or just add different copyright text to the package and carry on as business as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

A quick question here - anyone know if it's possible to pickup a motherboard for 2500k anywhere these days? Or just a matter of trawling adverts for one to appear.. I don't trust the ram slots in my current mobo and it's acting the bollocks with fan speeds / not allowing me to overclock my 2500k anymore, (multiplier won't go above 37.)

I mean it's not urgent as such, and I could probably get another few months out of 2500k , before splashing out with a 2017 pay cheque..

But I'll be pulling the trigger on a NXZT S340 tomorrow, so will end up transplanting everything into new case so will get a good opportunity to adjust things and make everything look nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

Amazon still sell 1150 motherboards

2500k was 1155 though which seem a lot harder to track down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Shlippery wrote: »
    2500k was 1155 though which seem a lot harder to track down!

And expensive for any that I have seen, especially if you intend to overclock, as you are limited to the z68 and z77 chipsets. If you aren't overclocking h61 motherboards pop up from time to time relatively cheaply.

Setup an alert on adverts maybe,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A quick question here - anyone know if it's possible to pickup a motherboard for 2500k anywhere these days? Or just a matter of trawling adverts for one to appear.. I don't trust the ram slots in my current mobo and it's acting the bollocks with fan speeds / not allowing me to overclock my 2500k anymore, (multiplier won't go above 37.)

I mean it's not urgent as such, and I could probably get another few months out of 2500k , before splashing out with a 2017 pay cheque..

But I'll be pulling the trigger on a NXZT S340 tomorrow, so will end up transplanting everything into new case so will get a good opportunity to adjust things and make everything look nicer.

eBay from USA seems to be your best bet.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    eBay from USA seems to be your best bet.

Spotted that too, but will probably end up adding shipping fees and likely customs tax lumped on too,I may be best holding out another month or two and getting 4670k/mobo or else move to Skylake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Skylake, or even Kaby Lake would be the better options available to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

I had this issue on my asrock motherboard after updating bios. Multiplier wouldnt go over 37. Had to flash it again, and issue was resolved.
    So my advise is maybe flash your bios first before getting new mobo?

twinsen wrote: »
    I had this issue on my asrock motherboard after updating bios. Multiplier wouldnt go over 37. Had to flash it again, and issue was resolved.
    So my advise is maybe flash your bios first before getting new mobo?

I suspect this is what happened, I updated the BIOS to a newer version a few months back and it may have upset the multiplier. I'll see if I can contact ASRock for ideas. Thanks lads, don't want to bring this off-topic thread any more on-topic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Decided to download that steam VR performance test and my old PC stands up fairly well.

Specs:
    X58 motherboard
    Xeon X5660 @ 4.2GHz
    R9 290 overclocked.

397830.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, food for thought.

I played around a bit with Microsofts surface 3 and 4 in pc world and I have to admit. I love it.
    Tablet with full win 10 os and can turn to a laptop if needed.

Now I really like surface 4 with i5 cpu, but price is a bit.. High... Pc world doing some good deals on surface 3 though.
    So I was wondering, would surface 3, be enough to run some indie games? Stuff like transistor, prison architect, darkest dungoen? Nothing triple A.
    Still have my pc, but would be nice to have a decent tablet, when I am in bed and misses snoring away. Plus streaming xbox one to it?
    Could be a nice Xmas present for myself. :)

Or any of those 2 in 1 alternatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I actually used a Surface 3 for a while, and it's a great little tablet.

However, it really isn't that powerful. You could probably run indie games on it well enough. I tried a couple, but it was quite a while ago at this point, and unfortunately I can't remember what they were.

Asus have a Core M Surface clone. Don't know what it's called, but it gets decent reviews.

Out of interest, what sort of deals have they got? I remember I got a 4/128 model with keyboard and pen for... I want to say around €850, maybe €800?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The aul fella has a SP4, its lovely. For work.

As an entertainment device they suck, 4:3 is no good for media consumption.

ED E wrote: »
    The aul fella has a SP4, its lovely. For work.

As an entertainment device they suck, 4:3 is no good for media consumption.

Depends. It's really nice for feck-about-but-not-video things. Reddit, news, Facebook, browsing, etc.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Depends. It's really nice for feck-about-but-not-video things. Reddit, news, Facebook, browsing, etc.

It's a serious amount of cash just to surf the web and post on Facebook tho. An Nvidia Shield tablet would do the same at a quarter of the price and still let you stream games from your PC if you have an Nvidia GPU.

Venom wrote: »
    It's a serious amount of cash just to surf the web and post on Facebook tho. An Nvidia Shield tablet would do the same at a quarter of the price and still let you stream games from your PC if you have an Nvidia GPU.

Granted, though I was never saying I'd use a Surface for just that. More that for me 3:2>16:9.

Granted, though I was never saying I'd use a Surface for just that. More that for me 3:2>16:9.

I'm in the 16:9 camp myself. Better for media consumption and works just as well as 4:3 for web browsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ive an i5 SP4 myself, surprisingly able for a nice bit of gaming if your willing to game at 720p etc. I play rocket league on it, Deus ex human revolution, some indie games and every now and then i use nvidia shield software+moonlight to stream games to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

14485001_1176407069065411_7144581853538233349_n.jpg?oh=7a3ba4463270100809fd9abcfe1be966&oe=586D1DF5&__gda__=1483300300_14875cac627567b875724e026ba756b4

This is a nice keyboard.

I have a 2500k mobo and CPU and possibly ram bundle sitting in a box.

Asus P8P67 rev 3.1 is the mobo.

Yours if you want it, i offer no support or anything with it :D I dont recall it not working and its in a box as my kid upgraded to I5.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »

This is a nice keyboard.

Needs more red :p

IMG_20160930_162502_zpscoaxh6az.jpg

SNAP

Same flight stick :D

no room for it but i have it :P

SNAP

Same flight stick :D

no room for it but i have it :P

Such a great stick for so little money :)

Sorry, was a bit busy and felt a sleep after the post.

So surface kind of gets thumbs up? Though I wonder if I could get away with surface 3? I don't want any AAA games at all on it. Streaming would be pain in a hole as I would use it in bed and pc downstairs. Won't resolution be issue and keeping pc on pretty much all the time?

I just want stuff like ftl, darkest dungoen, prison architect etc. Nothing fancy. That atom cpu would poop itself from it? I kmow that Intel core m3 is kind of solid for stuff like that.

k70 ftw :D got an iron man red yellow and blue theme on my keyboard haha

Well the surface pro 4 would be well able for games like those so i presume the surface pro 3 would likewise be able for them

• Advertisement

Sorry, was a bit busy and felt a sleep after the post.

So surface kind of gets thumbs up? Though I wonder if I could get away with surface 3? I don't want any AAA games at all on it. Streaming would be pain in a hole as I would use it in bed and pc downstairs. Won't resolution be issue and keeping pc on pretty much all the time?

I just want stuff like ftl, darkest dungoen, prison architect etc. Nothing fancy. That atom cpu would poop itself from it? I kmow that Intel core m3 is kind of solid for stuff like that.

Was looking at ultrabook laptops recently and the m3 came up. Apparently when it hits low battery the chip just completely chokes up. That might be battery settings so I'd advise you to look further into it than I have, but it was a concern I couldn't ignore when giving someone advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My KB screen is an Iphone and sits on top of it (i used it to take the pic :D )

Its actually functional, it was a g510s that i destroyed with Cider last Friday night :D

https://www.linkdata.se/software/lcdsirreal/

get that for G510, its decent. There is a donate nag but it doesnt bother you, if you also get Core temp it displays excellent PC info.

I have a 2500k mobo and CPU and possibly ram bundle sitting in a box.

Asus P8P67 rev 3.1 is the mobo.

Yours if you want it, i offer no support or anything with it :D I dont recall it not working and its in a box as my kid upgraded to I5.

Cheers, fortunately, the root of all my problems was a funky BIOS update I had done, I managed to find a "beta" BIOS that was released for my P67 in 2014 and it surprisingly fixed my issues with fans acting wonky, RAM not being read properly and overclocking of CPU.

Happy I fixed it, but frustrated that it took so long to realise it was a BIOS issue and not hardware related! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ive always wanted a pc case desk but its too expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The amount of threads I click in to only to find out I am in the cycling forum because Garmin is in the title name :(

Helped my buddy ascend :D
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£209.72 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: SilentiumPC SPC130 78.6 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£91.31 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£79.24 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£109.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital WD Purple 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£89.36 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card (£379.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.68 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.73 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: AOC G2770PF 27.0" 144Hz Monitor (£252.07 @ Amazon UK)
    Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Logitech G302 Daedalus Prime Moba Wired Optical Mouse (£26.00)
    Total: £1501.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 10:49 BST+0100

*edit* Phanteks case, not Corsair.

Don't think I've seen this discussed anywhere, but I'm kinda angry with Overclockers.co.uk atm. They've hiked there prices by up to 50-70£ in some cases for the GTX 1070, and it looks like a direct cash in on the GoW4 promo. The prices started as normal, then suddenly shot up around Thursday/Friday last week.

I was going to pull the trigger on this at around 380/390£:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-armor-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-32c-ms.html
    But now it's 450£. I don't mind retailers upping prices due to demand, but this is just blatant cash grabbing on an already overexpensive product :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Don't think I've seen this discussed anywhere, but I'm kinda angry with Overclockers.co.uk atm. They've hiked there prices by up to 50-70£ in some cases for the GTX 1070, and it looks like a direct cash in on the GoW4 promo. The prices started as normal, then suddenly shot up around Thursday/Friday last week.

I was going to pull the trigger on this at around 380/390£:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-armor-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-32c-ms.html
    But now it's 450£. I don't mind retailers upping prices due to demand, but this is just blatant cash grabbing on an already overexpensive product :/

you sure it is that or the big drop sterling took in the last week?

Considering the price has stayed the same on aria, scan, amazon and ebuyer. I'm going with a money grab. Even with a dip in the sterling, it wasn't severe enough to warrant a hike like this.

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Considering the price has stayed the same on aria, scan, amazon and ebuyer. I'm going with a money grab. Even with a dip in the sterling, it wasn't severe enough to warrant a hike like this.

Wouldn't make any sense though, since the codes are provided by Nvidia.

With Google's event over, I'm looking at a new phone, current choices:

Anyone any thoughts?

Also, any places (other than the usual) for buying phones? Amazon doesn't have much stock of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Anyone any thoughts?

Also, any places (other than the usual) for buying phones? Amazon doesn't have much stock of these.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_****_general/Phones

Decent, relatively regularly updated list of good chinese phones, if they interest you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

A few friends have picked up the one plus3 and swear by it now, haven't heard anything but good things.

Anyone any thoughts?

Oneplus2 is alleged better than 3, tbh decent phones either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Oneplus2 is alleged better than 3, tbh decent phones either way.

Better for the time or? The newer phone is superior in every spec except battery where it takes a minor step back in a trade-off for size/weight.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/oneplus-3-vs-oneplus-2-1323544

ive had a oneplus one for the last two years, next phone will almost 100% be a oneplus, fantastic phone for the money

The Moto Z Play has most of what the OP3 has (that matters to me):

"Good enough" AMOLED display
    "Good enough" CPU, RAM, etc.
    Decent camera
    Stock-ish Android

But it also has a huge leg up in the battery department, and Mods.

Lads, I just need some advice.

I am running 60Gb and 256Gb ssds with 1tb and 500Gb hdds.

My next upgrade is 500Gb SSD replacing my 60Gb one and windows 10.

Plan is to take out 60Gb and replace it with 500Gb and put os on 256Gb one. ( got only 2 sata 3)

Now stupidly enough i did not set Ahci at the start and I plan to do it properly this time.
    So here is my question. I will put in new SSD change to Ahci and pop windows fresh install on 256GB. I know essentially whole storage will reset, right? I don't care about info on ssds, but I got photos and stuff on hdds. It will reset those too and I will lose all data on it too?
    So my option is to back up all stuff on portable hdd and then change to Ahci and have completely fresh pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I would just remove all the ones except the one that you want the OS on.
    Switch to AHCI and install.
    Reconnect the old drives and all your stuff should be on the HDDs (programs tied to your old windows may be broken).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement