Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mulhuddart's old school gone

• 18-03-2013 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

I was driving past Mulhuddart's old school today and its demolished, and the site is cleared so it looks like we will have our new ALDI in a couple of months!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Exciting, although I think congestion is going to be an issue... especially with the petrol station a few meters away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

cool,this is news to me,when can I apply ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Wat will remain in my mind about mulhuddart school is the plaque on the pillar outside supplied by then telecom eireann declaring how this school was now part of the Information Age maning it had aconnection to the internet. This was around 1997. Exciting stuff then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Are you serious?? Is that going to be an Aldi?!! :eek:

What a terrible place to have one. The traffic in that street is bad enough now the new Tesco and other shops across the street have opened, its going to be a nightmare now. And as for getting into the petrol station.....

On the plus side I have been moaning about our lack of Aldi's and an overabundance of Lidl's in the Mulhuddart/Blanch area so its good to see one coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

That was my dad's old school. He was born in one of the cottages that used to be behind where Spar is now, and now there are a block of flats there.

• Advertisement

It obviously wasn't a protected building because Aldi bought the site, applied for and got planning permission to build there before they knocked the school down.

But the new bridge further up will probably be finished soon after Aldi, so more people will use it instead of the Blakestown road. The only real times I use the Blakestown road is when I'm coming from Meath on N3 to avoid traffic at the second turn off.

And once the Blakestown road is clear, that area is normally fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I was driving past the new Aldi yesterday, very swanky looking building compared to other stores that I've seen but after I passed it I noticed someone was building something that resembled a garage/shed beside the smoking area of Paidi Ogs but outside its fence where the old bridge was ... Anyone know what this is for?

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I was driving past the new Aldi yesterday, very swanky looking building compared to other stores that I've seen but after I passed it I noticed someone was building something that resembled a garage/shed beside the smoking area of Paidi Ogs but outside its fence where the old bridge was ... Anyone know what this is for?

There was a large drain there before so maybe it's a water shed?

Wouldn't be the new Men's shed type thing they have going on down there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Planning permission was got for two retail kiosks beside Paidi Og's.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=FW12A/0140

A good butchers would be nice...

January wrote: »
    A good butchers would be nice...

The foundations are in and they're very small. I wouldn't say it'll be big enough for a butchers. They're kind of the size of that locksmith beside the chemist so they'll be something along those lines I'd say.

Wonder what they could possibly put in two tiny spaces... :\

Wonder what they could possibly put in two tiny spaces... :\

Yeah, I wonder too. Conditions of the pp include that they can't sell or store alcohol and only be open between 7am - 10pm. Part of the application is also to landscape the park between the apartments and the river and build a pathway to the estate behind so I'd imagine that was part of the pre-planning 'you do something for us and we'll give you planning' meetings.

Edit - Here's the plans

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00435721.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Yeah, I wonder too. Conditions of the pp include that they can't sell or store alcohol and only be open between 7am - 10pm. Part of the application is also to landscape the park between the apartments and the river and build a pathway to the estate behind so I'd imagine that was part of the pre-planning 'you do something for us and we'll give you planning' meetings.

Edit - Here's the plans

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00435721.pdf

Link dead

dodzy wrote: »
    Link dead

Link dead for me too on my phone but works fine on the computer. What device are you using?

Either way, it's easy enough to find on Fingal's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm using a laptop and it's dead.

I'm using a laptop and it's dead.

Ah well, sorry about that so. Don't know what's going on then.

As I say though, easy to find yourself on the planning section of FCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

This will save me some time on grocery shopping, as I work only 5 mins drive from there.Hopefully there's going to be a big enough drive in car park.

Hopefully something useful. Small tech repair shop wouldn't be bad idea.

I thought the shop that did the printer ink beside the dragon inn also does repairs?

Construction moving along on these 2 kiosk and roof on one of them so has anyone heard any rumours about what's they're going to be?

Construction moving along on these 2 kiosk and roof on one of them so has anyone heard any rumours about what's they're going to be?
    Mid-late August.

Not when they're going to be, what they're going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

So its official ... ALDI will open its new Mulhuddart store on Thursday 19th September :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's crazy. I was just down there and the shelves are already packed.

I thought they were supposed to be opening on the 12th myself... wonder what happened.

• Advertisement

I thought they were supposed to be opening on the 12th myself... wonder what happened.

Probably had some D-List celebrity booked a while back to cut a ribbon or something. Although that's probably not Aldi's style.

Well they had Niall Horan do a photo op in the Mullingar one recently so it probably is their style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Well they had Niall Horan do a photo op in the Mullingar one recently so it probably is their style.

Go 'way ouwa da ! We all know that January has a poster on the bedroom ceiling of Niall and the the lads ;)

Looks like there will be pandemonium on the first day of opening... Their Special Buys that day are all the baby stuff! Always a popular day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Looks like there will be pandemonium on the first day of opening... Their Special Buys that day are all the baby stuff! Always a popular day!

Snap, I remember the last time they done it in Clonee and youd think they where giving the stuff away for free.

Ill still go down early enough and see what they do for the opening(Lidl had a tent thing with free tea coffee cake etc)

Went down today early enough, opened around 8.50. Nothing compared to Lidl in Blakestown opening,a small table with cake as you come in the door and then a big Aldi canvas bag.

Mental as you would expect for the first time, usual lay out and a big enough car park. Be handy not having to go to Clonee

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Went down today early enough, opened around 8.50. Nothing compared to Lidl in Blakestown opening,a small table with cake as you come in the door and then a big Aldi canvas bag.

Mental as you would expect for the first time, usual lay out and a big enough car park. Be handy not having to go to Clonee

I live close by and the traffic was mental around 9-9:30. Was there any free stuff being given out (apart from the bag)?

I live close by and the traffic was mental around 9-9:30. Was there any free stuff being given out (apart from the bag)?

We got out around 9.20 and it was madness,queues from either side to get it and lads trying to direct people.

Some women got flowers for being first,that was is,very poor.

Also some fella taking pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

was there this afternoon busy enough, but there is always one loon messing it up for everyone for parking...

Just hope it stays nice and clean and neat. Other then that my new shopping heaven :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Have aldi permission for a new store in castleknock village?

horse7 wrote: »
    Have aldi permission for a new store in castleknock village?

I don't know but it'd be very easy to find out by checking Fingal's website (on phone myself so can't)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Thanks for the link.

thats a postive for an aldi store in castleknock.

horse7 wrote: »
    thats a postive for an aldi store in castleknock.

Where exactly ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I couldn't find any applications for an Aldi in Castleknock - have you got the ref number?

Here is the link from Thisregard http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/SearchforaPlanningApplication/ ,its a big site at the rear of the flower shop, if you drive by you will see the wooden hoarding. By the way old mogensons is up for sale,i think the shop closed on wednesday.

That's just bringing me to the search page. Is there a particular search term used?

That's just bringing me to the search page. Is there a particular search term used?

Try searching by reference and use FW12A/0091. I think this is the one but apologies if it isn't.

Something odd there, the applicant is Uxbridge LTD, but according to Solocheck.ie and the CRO they've been dissolved since 2000.

However, if you take a look at the original planning application form, http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00428965.pdf and look at the press clipping for the planning notice, the company involved is Uxbridge Properties.

Uxbridge Properties are currently in receivership, so what's up ? Could be just the company that Aldi used to draw the plans etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement