Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla Train Station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

What are you on about ?

The post you replied to was only a light hearted comment to your post

" Ya may aswell close the station down if people cant drive to it.. "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The firm i work for actually prepared a feasability study for a car park at Clonsilla Station approx 5 or 6 years back on the site directly adjoining the station (currently used for agricultural purposes), the landowner was in negotiation to sell the land to Iarnrod Eireann & a price had been agreed on the basis that planning permission could be granted, however Fingal Couty Council made it very clear to us that any car park proposal requiring an access out onto that stretch of road would be refused permission due to traffic issues. The roads department were of the opinion that traffic was already at saturation point for that road (coming from Lucan towards the station)& that any increase would have a detrimental impact on the flow for the entire Clonsilla area due to the amount of right turns cars would be required to make if coming to the car park from the Clonsilla direction. Despite extensive proposals & negotiation between ourselves & the roads dept they were consistent in their attitude that this would be looked upon negatively. The planning dept were also adamant that any application with such a negative report coming from the roads dept would be refused permission on that basis. On that basis Iarnrod Eireann pulled out of the deal to purchase the lands in question. The really frustrating thing was that subsequent to that feasability FCC have since opened the new public park with a new vehicular entrance , albeit further down that stretch of road than the original proposal.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Enii wrote: »
    This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps a reuseable token could be bought as a one off and then reused - this cut down costs for the user.

Have you see this system in use anywhere?
    In the San Francisco Bay Area Caltrain provides bike lockers. They cost $66 per year.
    Apparently 9% of their passengers use bicycles (7% bring on board and 1-2% park at station).

When I lived there my wife would cycle to the station, bring bike on and cycle from destination station to work. It was brilliant.

I have suggested such lockers to Irish Rail on a number of occasions. One of the guys said he knew about the Caltrain lockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The problem is they over developed the area, when there wasn't (and still isn't) the transport infrastructure to handle the population.

Another problem is people have moved to places without having a practical means of getting to work. Relying on a driving to a station with no parking, or no secure parking, isn't practical.

Yet another problem is, if you live beside something that attracts people to it, schools, train stations etc. You have no right to interfere with people parking on a public road. The correct way to deal with it, is to get parking restrictions put in place, or move.

So you're all at fault.

Move closer, move further away, or move somewhere else entirely. Or get up earlier, get parking in a car park, and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

What are you on about ?

The post you replied to was only a light hearted comment to your post

" Ya may aswell close the station down if people cant drive to it.. "

Sorry didnt read your sarcasm, :D = Sarcasm so..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

"A private road is a road owned and maintained by a private individual, organization, or company rather than by a government. Consequently, unauthorized use of the road may be considered trespassing, and some of the usual rules of the road may not apply. The most common type of private road is a residential road maintained by a homeowners asisociation, housing co-op, or other group of individual homeowners"

So Portersgate has private roads. Its not owned by the Council. Why should the residents have to be put out by headwreckers parking all over the place during the week and making it difficult to drive through the estate. They choose to live a distance from the train and drive there. I chose to buy a house beside the train station so I wouldn't have to drive to it. Very annoying I have to say.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

paulsgirl wrote: »
    "A private road is a road owned and maintained by a private individual, organization, or company rather than by a government. Consequently, unauthorized use of the road may be considered trespassing, and some of the usual rules of the road may not apply. The most common type of private road is a residential road maintained by a homeowners asisociation, housing co-op, or other group of individual homeowners"

So Portersgate has private roads. Its not owned by the Council. Why should the residents have to be put out by headwreckers parking all over the place during the week and making it difficult to drive through the estate. They choose to live a distance from the train and drive there. I chose to buy a house beside the train station so I wouldn't have to drive to it. Very annoying I have to say.

First off, none of your links work.

Secondly, if you're suggesting that Portersgate's roads have not been taken in hand by Fingal CC and are maintained by the residents of the estate, could you please provide some evidence to support this claim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Zaph wrote: »
    First off, none of your links work.

Secondly, if you're suggesting that Portersgate's roads have not been taken in hand by Fingal CC and are maintained by the residents of the estate, could you please provide some evidence to support this claim.

A decision was taken by Fingal Co.Co. to take the roads and adjacent structures in charge on the 8th of November 1999 (link here) and they were all declared to be public roads on that date.

Every single road in there is a public road........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wrong. Every single road in Portersgate was declared public on the 8th of November 1999- at the request of the residents association. Link here.

Nice try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I chose to buy a house beside the train station so I wouldn't have to drive to it.

That's fine you bought a house there. You did not buy the road outside your house.

That road is public property and anyone can park there.

BUT I do object to people parking there if by doing so they are blocking:
    - the residents entrance into their house
    - the bin truck
    - emergency services

• Advertisement

AFAIK its illegal to block and entrance or access. They can be towed for that.

Its not illegal to park on a public road outside someones house.

If its causing a problem is should be zoned for resident parking with permits etc. Same thing happens all over the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

BostonB wrote: »
    Its not illegal to park on a public road outside someones house.

I doubt they object to their friends and relations parking there when they are having a birthday or a christening or a bbq?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

I driveway takes about six cars so I don't worry about people visiting me and parking on the road.

Its annoying when one half of the road is constantly blocked with cars and you can't have a free run through the estate. The entrance is particularly bad with people even parking on double yellow lines. Just annoying is all.

Get on to the council and get some parking restrictions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

While I appreciate all the comments made regarding my OP, I do want to stress, yet again, I DO NOT EVER PARK ILLEGALLY in Portersgate, nor do I EVER block a driveway, a bend, a footpath etc. My car is ALWAYS parked legally, on a road, which happens to be outside a house. I would never be so stupid and irresponsible to park on a bend or on double yellow lines etc to block emergeny vehicles, bin trucks and the like and would always take care not to park opposite a car on the other side of the road to avoid a "stop/Go" system.

I posted this thread a few weeks back to see if I was the only person who's car had been damaged or were there others out there too and it somehow led into a discussion about legal and illegal parking. That's all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

central wrote: »
    I posted this thread a few weeks back to see if I was the only person who's car had been damaged or were there others out there too and it somehow led into a discussion about legal and illegal parking. That's all!

It appears that no-one else posting has had the same trouble as you.
    Its a hot topic for debate, and one that has raged for many years in many housing estates across the world, and will continue to do so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I had reason to drive into portersgate the other day at about 3pm and the whole road from the entrance to the roundabout had cars parked outside houses.There were also a few parking cones out at the top near the bend where obvioulsy people had parked before. The road is not very wide as it is and when i was leaving the estate it became quite obvious just how tight it was. A lorry was coming into the estate and I had to squeeze by it as there was not enough room for both to pass properly. I really have to sympathise with the residents as if they were to get stuck behind a bin truck collecting rubbish there would be no way to get around it.

Alot of people make the point that there is no park and ride facility in Clonsilla so where are they to go.Some suggest Coolmine but this only has limited space available. I could be wrong but I would think that alot of those who park at Clonsilla are from the surrounding areas Clonee Hartstown Ongar etc and have to wonder if your willing to drive as far as Clonsilla why not travel that little bit further and go to the HUGE empty station at Phoenix Park? I drive by here everyday and cannot believe the amount of empty spaces available and then see how some cars are literally abandoned at the side of the road around Clonsilla!Maybe you might have to leave home a few minutes earlier but is that not better than risking damage to your car?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I could be wrong but I would think that alot of those who park at Clonsilla are from the surrounding areas Clonee Hartstown Ongar etc and have to wonder if your willing to drive as far as Clonsilla why not travel that little bit further and go to the HUGE empty station at Phoenix Park?

There are a few reasons:

- Having to negotiate the N3/M50 junction during peak hours
    - Trains even more crowded by the time they reach Phoenix Park compared to getting on at Clonsilla
    - Having to negotiate the N3/M50 junction during peak hours on the way home
    - €4 per day parking charge compared to €2 per day at Coolmine (I'm open to correction here as I was told that's how much it costs to park at Phoenix Park but have never used the station myself)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Park yes, leaving it there and going into town for the day NO if you dont live there.

wrong. if it's a public road and theres no single or double yellow lines then yes they are actually entitled to park there for as long as they want whether thats an hour or a week.

like it or not thats the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

There is a big diffrence with parking on a road which is a through road and parking in a cul de sac.
    Im not talking about it being legal or not ,its just plain ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Im not talking about it being legal or not ,its just plain ignorant.

I dont do it as I have parking in my workplace but I don't see anything ignorant about anyone parking on a public road where they are completely free to do so regardless of who's house it's outside.

FWIW I used to live in a cul de sac where this was a problem also. But everyone knew there was nothing to be done as there was no road markings so no one complained but they did do something about it and the problems no longer there.

We all got onto the council and got a single yellow line painted :p

The only reasonable solution is to make it permit parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LH92

Central, I know how you feel. I moved out to Castaheany about three years ago and it's been a total nightmare for parking and car damage. I was parking in Coolmine originally which was totally out of the way and resulted in me being late a few times because traffic meant missing the train. Then my car got smashed up really badly and wasn't covered by insurance as it was glass damage and I didn't have windscreen cover.

So, I got a loan and got another car and I started parking on the clonsilla link road. Then before Christmas I left it over and night and returned to fund the same thing only this time the wing-mirrors were ripped off and all the lights in the front smashed as well as the windows. I was parking then in an estate at the end of the road opposite the petrol station (thinking this would be safer if I was working late which I regularly do) which has an area for about 6 cars and is not in front of anyone's house. I turned up there this morning to discover yellow lines everywhere. It's a total joke!

When I lived at home on the northide we an issue with prople parking in our estate but they were blocking the road. I totally understand that but where I park isn't blocking anyone as it's a dead end. I was just laughing at that comment about parking in Coolmine and Blanchardstown - get a life you clearly don't have the same problem! People going to town on the train are probably up at 6:30/7 as it is. We should be able to park near the station if this was a half decent country with proper infrastructure! And the comment about a few euro a day to park in coolmine... it's not scabbiness but there's not a chance I'd drive the whole way down there and pay for shabby car park with no security where the same thing could happen again as it did the last time.

Is walking or cycling to the train an option?

LH92 wrote: »
    I was just laughing at that comment about parking in Coolmine and Blanchardstown - get a life you clearly don't have the same problem! People going to town on the train are probably up at 6:30/7 as it is. We should be able to park near the station if this was a half decent country with proper infrastructure! And the comment about a few euro a day to park in coolmine... it's not scabbiness but there's not a chance I'd drive the whole way down there and pay for shabby car park with no security where the same thing could happen again as it did the last time.

"get a life" really??

As for me "clearly" not having the same problem, sorry but your quick assumptions are all wrong. i live in clonee get the train to work and am up at 6am everyday as is my partner! I happen to understand the point of view from both sides as I lived in the estates surrounding the train station and now I have to travel up to get the train.I have had experience of both issues and as a result I never park where my car might get damaged (common sense really) and i never park in the housing estates surrounding the station as i consider the fact that by leaving my car outside someones house i might be using up a space that they may want to use themselves or that they may have visitors to their home and my parking there may mean no parking for residents or their families.it may be a public road and yes i may have the right to park there but in my opinion the residents have a bigger right than i as they are the ones that live there. put yourself in their shoes and think how you would feel if someone parked outside your home,you have visitors arrive with nowhere to park as the road is jammed with commuters cars. methinks if you lived in portersgate, mount symon or castlefield you would feel very differently about parking outside those houses .

I use the age old way of walking to and from the station. It only takes 20 minutes to walk from my estate in littlepace to clonsilla train station and if me having to get up 20 minutes earlier means my car is parked safe in my drive not bothering anybody then ill happily get up 20 mins earlier. its cheaper than having to fork out for repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LH92

The 'get a life' comment was aimed at Rafa1977 who thought it was ok to walk from Blanchardstown and that's who I am assuming hasn't got the same problem as it's a ludicrous suggestion and totally off the wall! If you read my other posts you'd see that I totally understand the residents' viewpoint because I lived in a similar situation in my parents' house before I moved here. But as I also previously stated, my car is not outside anyone's house where it was before the yellow lines went up. It is at a dead end where not once have I seen a resident's car parked. Since the lines have gone up there is now a ton of space that is not being used. I hope the resident's have a nice view of yellow lines and empty space from their houses!

There should be a car park and I stand by that. Walking might be an option for you but I work a long day and I don't fancy walking in the lashing rain or snow unless I have no other option. I don't fancy walking along in the dark on that quiet road around to Ongar either! Common sense would say to me that parking on a main road might be safe enough but obviously not! It's not like I left itin an unused quiet area with no street lights!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The 'get a life' comment was aimed at Rafa1977

Please dont tell anyone on here to 'get a life'- keep your response civil and dont get personal with them.

Thanks

Logic would suggest if parking isn't viable, and its not safe to walk, or cycle, (from your comments) then you are living in an unsuitable place to commute from.

Its probably only around an hours cycle at an easy pace from Castaheany to town anyway. Which if you tried it, I'd say you'd be surprised how enjoyable it is.

The 'get a life' comment was aimed at Rafa1977 who thought it was ok to walk from Blanchardstown and that's who I am assuming hasn't got the same problem as it's a ludicrous suggestion and totally off the wall! If you read my other posts you'd see that I totally understand the residents' viewpoint because I lived in a similar situation in my parents' house before I moved here. But as I also previously stated, my car is not outside anyone's house where it was before the yellow lines went up. It is at a dead end where not once have I seen a resident's car parked. Since the lines have gone up there is now a ton of space that is not being used. I hope the resident's have a nice view of yellow lines and empty space from their houses!

There should be a car park and I stand by that. Walking might be an option for you but I work a long day and I don't fancy walking in the lashing rain or snow unless I have no other option. I don't fancy walking along in the dark on that quiet road around to Ongar either! Common sense would say to me that parking on a main road might be safe enough but obviously not! It's not like I left itin an unused quiet area with no street lights!

My apologies it wasnt really clear from your post about who you were respondng to and the post your were in fact responding to was on the first page a long time ago. i made similar remarks so understandable that I picked it up wrong.
    Ive gone back and read that origianl post and notice that it was suggested that people park in the blanchardstown shoppingcentre which is not all that "ludicrous". If one was to park in the westend car park or the one near the AIB bank and walk to coolmine along the brightly lit road it would not even take 20mins from there and the 5 mins along the n3 to the centre wouldnt take too much either.

I know the area you refer to as now being a ton of space not being used and I know that before those yellow lines went up as a direct result of people parking their cars and going off to work or where ever for the day. So obviously the residents were being affected by those cars enough for the council to put in the lines.as regards the residents lovely view of the green in front of their homes id say they much prefer that to the view of cars.

I dont think anybody is disputing the fact that a car park is badly needed. I can assure you that the road from clonsilla down past st Josephs is most safe to walk along as i have done it many times there are plenty of people walking from the train to keep you company. We all work long hard days some longer than others but i really have no sympathy for anyone who parks up on the mud along that stretch in front of portersgate or in any housing estate and gets their car damaged its a public road and thats the risk you take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Walking might be an option for you but I work a long day and I don't fancy walking in the lashing rain or snow unless I have no other option.
    How often does it snow? How often does it lash rain?
    While it may rain frequently, the probability of it raining while you are commuting is less (basic maths!). You can carry a tiny umbrella or tiny rain jacket - carrying one can often ward off the rain :p

Advertisement