Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla Train Station

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Btw I don't think people are parking their car in Portersgate because it is safer - sure it doesn't sound safer with the damage that is happening to their cars.

They are parking there because there are no parking spaces available elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

One has to wonder what could happen to a car in the "Premier Dublin 15 Estate" that an owner would find broken wipers on their return to their car.

Shame on the person that causes this damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

amdublin2 wrote: »
    In relation to Portersgate (which is the estate that was mentioned in relation to Clonsilla stn) this statement is incorrect.

The houseowner does not own the road outside their house.

Sorry!

I didnt say anything about them owning it.

amdublin2 wrote: »
    Btw I don't think people are parking their car in Portersgate because it is safer - sure it doesn't sound safer with the damage that is happening to their cars.

They are parking there because there are no parking spaces available elsewhere.

They should go and park where there is proper parking. A lack of parking doesnt give you the right to just abandon your car anywhere you wish.

They should go and park where there is proper parking. A lack of parking doesnt give you the right to just abandon your car anywhere you wish.

Anyone has the right to park on public roads in estates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I didnt say anything about them owning it.

So why do you think you are entitled to dictate that people cannot park there then? :confused:
    A lack of parking doesnt give you the right to just abandon your car anywhere you wish.

Why are you going on about "abandoning" cars? *People are parking their cars on the road as they are entitled to. What is your problem with this?

*NB! Different scenario if they are parking on the road and causing an obstruction. Different scenario altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

There isnt anywhere to put a car park or one would have been put there years ago.
    You obviously dont know Clonsilla!

You couldnt be more wrong :D

Now please tell me where one can be placed.

Enii wrote: »
    Anyone has the right to park on public roads in estates.

Park yes, leaving it there and going into town for the day NO if you dont live there. I bet you would be the first to complain if a few cars,vans etc parked outside your house all day every day . If the residents are getting a bit of work done on the house and need a skip or getting deliveries then how is the skip lorry ment to unload the skip outside if you are parked there and how is the delivery truck ment to pull up outside if you are parked there? Does it have to park in the middle of the road and block other cars that may be wanting to pass just because you want to park there and have a less walk to the train?
    Its selfish .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Park yes, leaving it there and going into town for the day NO if you dont live there.

Legally they do, whether you like it or not. All public roads are open to the public, which means that anyone can park their car there. Only if they're causing an obstruction can any legal action be taken against them.
    Its selfish .

Maybe so, but that's a different matter entirely. Being selfish isn't illegal, so the cars can still be parked there. Despite your protestations really your argument is based purely on it being a selfish act and its impact on the residents. I do sympathise, I used to live in a cul de sac right beside a DART station that was turned into a car park by commuters, but as long as it is a public road there's little the residents can do about it. Although you could try asking the council to put double yellow lines near the entrance to the estate, it worked in the place I lived in.

• Advertisement

You couldnt be more wrong :D

Now please tell me where one can be placed.

103956.jpg

. If the residents are getting a bit of work done on the house and need a skip or getting deliveries then how is the skip lorry ment to unload the skip outside if you are parked there and how is the delivery truck ment to pull up outside if you are parked there? Does it have to park in the middle of the road and block other cars that may be wanting to pass just because you want to park there and have a less walk to the train?
    Its selfish .

You don't own the space outside of your home. You can not expect it to be available for your own personal use - even if you are expecting deliveries or unloading a skip in your garden.

I don't know why you are referring to me personally parking in this particular estate and then heading to the train station. I have never done this ever.

On the other hand I have called up to my best friend who lives in Portersgate and I have seen all the houses as you enter the estate with their unsightly wheelie bins out on the road. For some reason these house owners think that they have the right to prevent cars being parked on the public space outside of their house.

Zaph wrote: »
    Legally they do, whether you like it or not. All public roads are open to the public, which means that anyone can park their car there. Only if they're causing an obstruction can any legal action be taken against them.

Maybe so, but that's a different matter entirely. Being selfish isn't illegal, so the cars can still be parked there. Despite your protestations really your argument is based purely on it being a selfish act and its impact on the residents. I do sympathise, I used to live in a cul de sac right beside a DART station that was turned into a car park by commuters, but as long as it is a public road there's little the residents can do about it. Although you could try asking the council to put double yellow lines near the entrance to the estate, it worked in the place I lived in.

I didnt say it was illegal

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I didnt say it was illegal

True, what you actually said was this:
    You are not allowed to abandon your cars in a private estate for the day unless you have business to be there.

So if you're "not allowed", who is enforcing this rule? The residents have no right to block cars from parking on the road, so it can't be them. And if it's not them, then it must be the Gardaí, which would therefore suggest it was somehow an illegal act.

matsy1 wrote: »
    103956.jpg

Thats an old picture with the bottom bit now being a park.
    Irish Rail dont have any land there to put a car park in. It might get better when the Hansfield station opens with those from ongar opting to use that one.

The top bit belongs to the garden place and have been in dispute with irish rail in the past. Its not a case of " lets stick a car park in that green bit over there ". People would still park on the other side on the road because they would say its an inconvinience for them because they still would have to go to the booking office for their tickets.

You don't own the space outside of your home. You can not expect it to be available for your own personal use - even if you are expecting deliveries or unloading a skip in your garden.

I don't know why you are referring to me personally parking in this particular estate and then heading to the train station. I have never done this ever.

On the other hand I have called up to my best friend who lives in Portersgate and I have seen all the houses as you enter the estate with their unsightly wheelie bins out on the road. For some reason these house owners think that they have the right to prevent cars being parked on the public space outside of their house.

Im not referring to you personally .

On the second bit, you dont have an issue with people from outside the area leaving their cars for the day outside some persons house yet you have an issue with the residents putting out their wheelie bin outside their own house, why? do you look down on people who have wheelie bins? going by that remark i would guess you live in an apartment where your bins are locked away from view.
    Why should our estates have to deal with the extra traffic and the fumes that come with it just because a person is too lazy to find a proper parking place or pay for parking. How far away do these people actually live that they need to bring their cars to the station? Why not get the bus to it instead? Or walk if in distance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Guys, interesting discussion, but dont fall into the trap of getting personal please.

Im not referring to you personally .

On the second bit, you dont have an issue with people from outside the area leaving their cars for the day outside some persons house yet you have an issue with the residents putting out their wheelie bin outside their own house, why? do you look down on people who have wheelie bins? going by that remark i would guess you live in an apartment where your bins are locked away from view.
    Why should our estates have to deal with the extra traffic and the fumes that come with it just because a person is too lazy to find a proper parking place or pay for parking. How far away do these people actually live that they need to bring their cars to the station? Why not get the bus to it instead? Or walk if in distance.

You are making a lot of assumptions in your post.

I don't live in an apartment. I live in a house. I bring my wheelie bins in to my back garden every time they have been picked up by the bin men.

The person who lives next door to me runs a business from home. Every day I have people parking outside my house (some for hours on end).

I could choose to leave my wheelie bins out to prevent these people parking outside of my space. I don't do this because of many reasons, namely
    1. I don't own the public road outside of my house - I don't have the right to prevent people parking there
    2. I think wheelie bins are unsightly and I don't want to spoil the look of my estate

No personal abuse posted.

On the issue of bikes getting robbed, if there is a high number getting stolen or damaged then those affected could maybe get together and campaign to Irish rail for better security for their bikes. Cctv is not a deterrent to all but maybe some sort of newer bike rack where once you put your bike in a slot it gets locked in and you get issued a key to get it out in the same way lockers are used in gyms etc. Once you put the bike in the slot it gets locked in and releases a key for you to bring with you. Once you put the key back in it releases the bike and the key gets locked in until its used again. I would imagine the green party would give it their backing and it may encourage more people to cycle to work via the train. People might complain they have to pay to park their bikes but what would you prefer, your bike to be there when you get back or the possibility of it not being there when you get back?

No personal abuse posted.

On the issue of bikes getting robbed, if there is a high number getting stolen or damaged then those affected could maybe get together and campaign to Irish rail for better security for their bikes. Cctv is not a deterrent to all but maybe some sort of newer bike rack where once you put your bike in a slot it gets locked in and you get issued a key to get it out in the same way lockers are used in gyms etc. Once you put the bike in the slot it gets locked in and releases a key for you to bring with you. Once you put the key back in it releases the bike and the key gets locked in until its used again. I would imagine the green party would give it their backing and it may encourage more people to cycle to work via the train. People might complain they have to pay to park their bikes but what would you prefer, your bike to be there when you get back or the possibility of it not being there when you get back?

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps a reuseable token could be bought as a one off and then reused - this cut down costs for the user.

Have you see this system in use anywhere?

• Advertisement

You are making a lot of assumptions in your post.

I don't live in an apartment. I live in a house. I bring my wheelie bins in to my back garden every time they have been picked up by the bin men.

The person who lives next door to me runs a business from home. Every day I have people parking outside my house (some for hours on end).

I could choose to leave my wheelie bins out to prevent these people parking outside of my space. I don't do this because of many reasons, namely
    1. I don't own the public road outside of my house - I don't have the right to prevent people parking there
    2. I think wheelie bins are unsightly and I don't want to spoil the look of my estate

So you would have no problems with your estate being clocked up with cars who have been abandoned there for up to 12 hours a day with sometimes the alarms of these cars going off for hours where if the owner was in the locality it would be switched off in no time.
    There is a diffrence with a car being parked outside your house ( not you personally ) for a few hours if they have business there (which i wouldnt have an issue with) and a car being abandoned there for the day and the owner going off on the train to work when they live outside the area.
    I would say the most of them have the option to either get a bus,walk or cycle to the station and that they dont live far enough really to warrant taking the car . Its part lazyness and part ignorance.

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps a reuseable token could be bought as a one off and then reused - this cut down costs for the user.

Have you see this system in use anywhere?

No, fully my idea although i wouldnt be suprised if its in use anywhere. Does the bike hire crowd in town use the same method for securing their bikes ?

So you would have no problems with your estate being clocked up with cars who have been abandoned there for up to 12 hours a day with sometimes the alarms of these cars going off for hours where if the owner was in the locality it would be switched off in no time.
    There is a diffrence with a car being parked outside your house ( not you personally ) for a few hours if they have business there (which i wouldnt have an issue with) and a car being abandoned there for the day and the owner going off on the train to work when they live outside the area.
    I would say the most of them have the option to either get a bus,walk or cycle to the station and that they dont live far enough really to warrant taking the car . Its part lazyness and part ignorance.

My point is that you do not have the right to take issue with cars parked outside of your house on the public road. Period.

No matter what the reason that they are parked there for - even to use your estate as a parking lot in order to take the train. You just have to put up with it.

My point is that you do not have the right to take issue with cars parked outside of your house on the public road. Period.

No matter what the reason that they are parked there for - even to use your estate as a parking lot in order to take the train. You just have to put up with it.

WRONG.

If a local garage uses the road outside your house as a parking lot for its cars you wouldnt have an issue with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Has anyone else seen that somebody has put down large rocks painted white on the Clonsilla road just opposite to St Mochta's. This has been done to stop people driving up on the kerb to go left at the roundabout.
    Is it feasible to do something similar in the housing estates surrounding Clonsilla Station?

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen that somebody has put down large rocks painted white on the Clonsilla road just opposite to St Mochta's. This has been done to stop people driving up on the kerb to go left at the roundabout.
    Is it feasible to do something similar in the housing estates surrounding Clonsilla Station?

Now that would be an eye sore... Ya may aswell close the station down if people cant drive to it..

matsy1 wrote: »
    Now that would be an eye sore... Ya may aswell close the station down if people cant drive to it..

Its not just for those who live a distance away, local people who walk and get the bus to it use it as well . :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not just for those who live a distance away, local people who walk and get the bus to it use it as well . :D

The catchment apparently includes as far as the bridge in Lucan village- its a pretty big catchment area......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

smccarrick wrote: »
    The catchment apparently includes as far as the bridge in Lucan village- its a pretty big catchment area......

And with the new 30KPH (18.6 MPH in old money) speed limit, you will have even more people deciding to park and ride, and not to take their cars into Town, in case they get snagged by speed cameras, get penalty points, a fine and increased insurance premiums.

I tried driving at 30 KPH today. You spend more time looking at the speedo than you do looking at the road. It would not surprise me at all if the accident rate rises rather than falls.

Nice one Labour! Why don't you shoot yourself in the other foot and ban all traffic from Town altogether. Zero road casualties.

• Advertisement

If that were to happen, they'd probably build a car park.. It would be a boycott! Your actually arguing for the sake of it now. The station needs a carpark, end of! And until it does the local people and the people who have to park their cars in fear of vandalism will just have to suffer on!

Advertisement